Warning: Hunter Ahead

Lost Deer

“He’s got a rather angelic voice,” Dokyeom remarked, as they watched Seventeen perform. “A bit airy but he’s got time to grow.”

“That means if he moans— Ow!” Seungcheol looked over to Jeonghan. “You didn’t have to hit me!”

Jeonghan shrugged. “Don’t know what you’re talking about. You should only concern yourself with cotton candy over there. Jail bait is enticing to a lot of people in this industry.” He watched as Joshua danced and smiled. If Jeonghan were an easier man he’d be able to watch Joshua smile for hours. But he wasn’t, seen too many things in the damn industry to be swayed by a pretty smile. Even if it was a damn pretty smile.

“What Jeonghan hyung means is watch the one you’re interested in and stop making dirty remarks about his deer. Or else,” Vernon mimed slicing his neck. “You know?”

Jeonghan gave Vernon a smile, smart dongsaengs were the best.

“Cotton candy looks cute,” Jun said. “But the tiny ones are the most vicious. I’d watch your tongue around him,” Jun warned, shaking his head.

“But he’s so tiny,” Seungcheol said, his voice in awe. “Like I could gobble him up.”

“Watch him take a huge swing at you,” Wonwoo murmured from behind his book.

Laughing, Jun joined him, laying a kiss on his cheek. “A swing is too nice.”

“A kick straight to the balls,” Jeonghan said, smirking.

“Knee him once and watch hm topple,” Jun teased.

“Nah,” Seungcheol said, “Woozi doesn’t look the type.”

“Cotton candy not kneeing you in the balls is like saying I’m going fall in love,” Jeonghan scoffed.

The rest of them shook their heads as Jeonghan and Seungcheol started to heads.


“No matter what they say do not go off alone with any of them understand? Not without at least one of you ok? The buddy system,” their manager reminded them, scolded them almost. “Never forget that even though they debuted before you and they’re men doesn’t mean they won’t try to get fresh with you.” He in a breath, “They are men and men are disgusting creatures. Drill that into your heads.”

“So since you’re a man, you’re a disgusting creature too hyung?” Mingyu asked.

The rest of them started to snicker.

Their manager turned to him, eyebrows raised. “Kim Mingyu. Do you want to get smacked?”

“But you just said—”

Mingyu let out a noise of pain. Minghao looked a bit smug, his hand coming to rest against his stomach.

“I meant them. And people you get a bad vibe from. Sometimes a predator can be people you even trust,” he said with a sigh. “And no Mingyu don’t say me. I think I’ve proven myself the past several years with you kids. Anyone who touches children, touches anyone without consent is disgusting.”

“Then why are we going to eat with them,” Joshua asked. “If you don’t trust them.”

He ruffled Joshua’s hair gently. “They’re too popular to say no to. And just because I don’t trust them doesn’t mean they might not be good people. If they aren’t then we’ll restrict our interactions with them. That’s the way the industry works Shua. Sometimes we have to deal with people we might not like to further your guys’ careers.”

“Jeonghan seemed nice though,” he said quietly.

“That doesn’t mean he is a nice person.” He gave Joshua a rueful smile, “Your innocence is what makes you cute Joshua. Just don’t trust anyone fully until you get to know them.” He looked over all of them, “The same goes for all of you all right? Remember what we told you during training about people. Especially the ones to stay away from.” Ushering them out the dorm, he said one last thing. “Hopefully they aren’t like that.”


Jeonghan smiled as he watched Joshua come in last, like he was herding his group mates like a mommy duck. They bowed, thanking them for the invite.

“It’s no problem,” Jeonghan said first, cutting Seungcheol off. “Come on. Sit down. We ordered some stuff already so we’re waiting for the meat to get here.” He waved Joshua over to the seat right next to his. “Sit.”  

Joshua went to him, a bit wary. Jeonghan’s eyes narrowed. Did he find out some rumors about him? Jeonghan always made sure that whatever he did never left anyone’s lips. If they did, he’d make sure to crush them. Unless it was Joshua’s company that did, some entertainment companies did look after their idols after all. He forced himself to relax, no need to frighten Joshua.

“How was the first week of activities,” Jeonghan asked, draping his arm around Joshua’s chair. He grinned at him, making sure to give Joshua the heart stopping one that made everyone squeal.

Blinking at him with those sparkly doe eyes, Joshua answered him so softly that Jeonghan had to strain to hear him over everyone else’s voices. “It’s tiring,” he gave Jeonghan a sweet smile, “but it’s exciting at the same time. We made it out on the stage. That’s all we ever dreamed of and we’re there.”

God, he was so cute. Thinking that making it out onto the stage was the end of it. Just because they made it out onto shows didn’t mean they’d stay there. They had to get fans that would love them enough to sustain them their entire careers, and not up their careers as time moved on. Jeonghan smiled back at him; it was just one more thing he’d have to teach Joshua.

Reaching up, he gently ruffled Joshua’s hair. “The feeling of being on stage is exhilarating. Better than a lot of things. It drives you forward even when you feel like you want to die.” Softly, as he were petting a kitten, he pulled his hand away, dragging his fingers across Joshua’s neck, “Hold onto that feeling.”

 He watched as Joshua visibly shivered under his fingers as he nodded. Jeonghan couldn’t wait to make him shiver in other ways as well.