Lost in the Woods

Lost Deer

“You’re watching videos of him again? You’re getting a bit deep there,” Wonwoo commented as he looked down at Jeonghan’s phone.

Jeonghan clenched his jaw, only years of training had him not jumping. Caught red handed, how ing embarrassing. It was a fancam of his cute little deer singing his little heart out. Jeonghan wanted to take that face and squeeze those cheeks. And then squeeze his cheeks but he’d keep that to himself.

“It’s been a while since we saw them,” Wonwoo continued, not even caring that Jeonghan didn’t answer him. “We stopped promoting weeks ago.” He leaned in, causing Jeonghan to lock his phone.

“There’s no reason for you to see what I’m watching,” Jeonghan said, getting up.

“He hasn’t texted you back has he? Is that why you’re watching videos?” Wonwoo smirked, like it wasn’t dangerous to poke the sleeping cheetah that Jeonghan was.

Smiling, Jeonghan turned to him.

Wonwoo shivered involuntarily. That wasn’t the nice angel hyung smile. That was the devil hyung smile.

“Like that time Jun went home for break and all you had was his pictures. Which I caught you with your hand down your pants more than once.” Jeonghan went in for the kill. “I promised to never tell him. But should I?”

Wonwoo’s lips thinned to a barely there line. He rallied, “This isn’t about me and what I had to resort to when my boyfriend was gone. This is about you having to watch videos about a baby idol who you said you weren’t even that interested in.”

Jeonghan said nothing. He opened his phone, hit the call button on a very familiar name. “Junnie? Remember when you asked for updates on Wonwoo when you were back home in China?” He hummed, “Yea, there was something I forgot to tell you. He—”

Wonwoo jumped, using his long skinny limbs to grab the phone. Pulling it to his ear, he moved as far as he could from Jeonghan. “Nothing. He forgot to tell you nothing baby.” Wonwoo glared at the evil smile on Jeonghan’s face. “Shhh. It’s nothing baby. Come home soon ok? Love you. Bye.” He hung up.

Turning around, he hissed at Jeonghan. “Fine. Forget what I said. Go back to watching videos. I’m sorry.”

Jeonghan nodded, smile all shark like. “Go wait like a good boyfriend. In your guy room. Away from me.”

Wonwoo shuddered.

Jeonghan dropped his smile. Like he needed to be reminded how Joshua hadn’t contacted him in ages. Well, he did reply to Jeonghan’s texts. Short and sweet with emojis. Other times it was complete silence, like the boy didn’t remember he had a damn phone. Jeonghan just couldn’t get any closer, physically and emotionally.

His deer was guarded. Jeonghan was thwarted one too many times by Joshua’s dongsaengs and they weren’t even in the damn chat! Unless one of them took Joshua’s phone, and that happened one too many times. It pissed Jeonghan off.

. It pissed him off that he was even still pursuing Joshua. It had been three months so far, three ing months since he had that little kiss. And then nothing! Jeonghan dropped others far quicker for like this. He’s dropped people in minutes if he was no longer interested. But somehow, he still wanted. He was fixated. It didn’t make sense and it drove him crazy.

Sighing, Jeonghan opened his phone again. He opened a different fancam of Joshua. It was recent. His baby deer lost that cheek fat. And the outfit was no longer quite as sweet as when he debuted. Joshua looked like a young deer now. But that smile. The eye crinkle, the lip curls. Still as sweet as ever.

A notification of a text came in. Jeonghan’s finger readied to swipe it away until he saw the words comeback. Comeback for who? They weren’t planning one yet. Another notification followed. Deer?

He sat up. Was Joshua’s group making a comeback? Ignoring that it came from Wonwoo, he tapped on the link. A poppy, up-beat sound played. Jeonghan smirked as he saw school uniforms on the members who started to pop up in the teaser video. How cliché. Smart marketing strategy considering their debut single.

His heart stopped as he caught a glimpse of Joshua. Jeonghan paused the video. His baby deer wasn’t quite a baby anymore. His jawline was sharper, as if he purposely lost weight. His eyes twinkled all the same. Joshua’s hair, bright orange and swept up. Not a baby deer but a teenage one perhaps.

Jeonghan’s fingers softly came to his phone, caressing Joshua’s face.

“September 10th,” Wonwoo said, half hiding himself behind his door in fear.

Mentally, Jeonghan thought of his schedules. He sat up straight. The timing coincided with his stint as the temp MC for M Countdown. Perfect.