Epilogue

Reading Writing Romance

One year later...

Nichkhun couldn't stop sweating. He kept wiping his hands against his black pants and looking around for Ewon.

"Relax, man. Ewon isn't here yet." Minjun shook the back of Nichkhun's shoulders.

"Do you think this was a bad idea? This was a bad idea." Nichkhun tried to pull away from Jun, but the other man wouldn't let him budge.

"This wasn't a bad idea. It was a brilliant, romantic idea. One that I'll never hear the end of from my husband. 'Why don't we renew our vows with a surprise ceremony, Jun?'" Jun's imitation of Taecyeon was spot on. 

Nichkhun in a deep breath "Taec wants to renew your vows? Christ, you've only been married since New Year's Day."

"Tell me about it. Every time I tell Taec I'm gonna be late or have a meeting to go to, he thinks I'm planning our next wedding."

Nichkhun started to laugh. He'd set this plan in motion around Groundhog Day. He'd told the guys and Narsha about it and they'd gotten to work planning the surprise. With twenty minutes to go until the ceremony, Nichkhun was shocked that no one had accidentally spoiled the surprise.

"Daddy!" Mia shouted "Daddy Won-Won is here!"

Nichkhun and Ewon had both agreed that Wooyoung was too young to choose a permanent name. They were calling her Mia for now. If it had been up to Wooyoung, he would have chosen Ariel or Mulan.

Nichkhun felt like he was going to throw up. This was it, the moment of truth. He and Ewon had grown much closer over the last year. They'd had their share of ups and downs, but there had been a lot more ups and the downs didn't last very long. They'd never talked about renewing their vows or staging a wedding do-over. Ewon might not want to marry him again "Christ, Jun, what if he says no?"

"He's not going to say no. He loves you so much, Khun." Jun gave his shoulders one last squeeze "Come on! Let's get ready to meet him at the door." 

"Narsha? Mia?" Ewon shouted.

Narsha shot Nichkhun two thumbs up "Out here, Ewon!"

"What's up with all the cars out front? I thought everyone had plans?" Ewon stopped short when he stepped through the sliding glass door and out into the yard. He took a deep breath before crouching to balance his hands on his knees "What is all this?"

"Surprise Daddy! It's your wedding!" Mia yelled.

"It's my what?" Ewon's eyes were moving around Narsha and Kwanghee's backyard.

Back in March, Nichkhun had given Narsha a pergola and climbing roses as a "present" for taking such good care of them and Mia. Ewon had bought the story. In addition to the pergola there were rows of seats with a white satin runner leading to where the officiant was standing. Everyone was wearing suits, with the exception of Narsha, Jennie and the kids.

Narsha was wearing an elegant dark blue cashmere dress and Jennie wore a one piece pink dress with a thick black belt around her waist.

Jay was wearing his favorite green T-Rex shirt that he did everything but sleep in and Gain and Mia were wearing matching white dresses. Both girls loved to match each other.

Nichkhun stepped forward, going down onto one knee in front of Ewon "You didn't get to have the wedding of your dreams last year. Our quickie city hall wedding doesn't capture the love and happiness we've found with each other and Mia." Nichkhun pulled out a ring box and opened it to reveal 

Ewon's wedding band which Nichkhun had taken from him yesterday with a lie that he was taking both of their rings to the jeweler to be cleaned "I want a do-over wedding. Ewon, will you marry me again?"

"Marry us, you mean!" Mia's frown turned into a bright smile.

Nichkhun laughed "Will you marry us?"

Ewon looked gobsmacked. His hands were still braced on his knees and it looked like he was struggling to breathe. He straightened back up and nodded his head "Yes!"

"We need to get you inside to change." Junho grabbed his elbow.

"Change?" Ewon looked confused.

"Nichkhun ordered you a suit for the ceremony." Jun added.

"You did?"

"I tried to think of everything so we'd have the perfect wedding."

"It's the perfect wedding because you're my groom." Ewon was blinking back tears.

"Don't start crying now, Ewon. We'll never get through the ceremony. Now shoo." Narsha waved Ewon off. 

"You did a hell of a job keeping this secret, Narsha." Nichkhun hugged the woman he'd come to love as a mother.

"You didn't do so bad yourself." Narsha pulled back and fussed with his black tie.

 

svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg

 

Ewon was waiting to wake up on the living room couch. There was no way this was real "Pinch me, Jun."

Jun raised an eyebrow but did what Ewon asked.

"Ouch! Damn it, that hurt." Ewon ripped his arm away from his best friend.

"You told him to pinch you." Junho grinned.

Ewon rubbed his sore arm "I still can't believe Khun did this for me." Ewon was still stunned. He'd never forget walking into the backyard and seeing everyone ready to celebrate with them.

"It was Khun's idea, but we all lent a hand." Jun was standing behind Ewon in the full length mirror "We all felt like we let you down at your first wedding."

Ewon looked up at Jun in the mirror "What do you mean? My first wedding was fine." 

Junho snorted "Come on, we know you better than that. Your city hall wedding was awful. There were no flowers or decorations and the JP got your name wrong."

Ewon started to laugh "It really was a ceremony, but I didn't care since I was marrying Khun so we could give Mia the home she deserves."

"Did you see her dress?" Jun asked "We shopped for hours because she and Gainoo had to match."

Ewon could feel tears starting in his eyes "She's just so happy now, Jun. You know, like she's a different person than she was a year ago."

"That's what happens when you live the life you were meant to live." Junho added.

It hadn't all been sunshine and unicorns, but the last year with Mia had gone well. She'd thrived in second grade at Little Wonder Clovers.

There had been a big assembly at the beginning of the year to explain how Wooyoung had transformed into Mia with dresses and longer hair, but the kids had taken it all in stride. Ewon always found that kids never had a problem accepting new ideas. It was their bigoted or opinionated parents who made waves.

A couple of parents at Little Wonders Clovers didn't want their children in class with Mia, but Minjun had given them two choices: leave your child 

in class or they leave the school. Faced with the idea of taking their kids out of the Montessori school, the parents had backed down.

"How do I look?" Ewon turned to face his friends. Nichkhun had bought him a dark grey suit with a pink dress shirt. He'd noticed that Nichkhun was wearing an identical suit and shirt. He assumed the pink shirts were to celebrate Mia.

"Almost perfect." Junho grinned at Ewon.

"What am I missing?" Ewon spun back around in the mirror and started patting down his hair.

"How about this?" Minjun was holding his fist out toward Ewon.

Ewon opened his palm and something warm and flat dropped into it "Jun! This is your lucky silver won."

"It's your something borrowed. I'm gonna need it right back after the ceremony." Jun looked a bit nervous at the idea of the treasured token being out of his hands.

Ewon laughed. Jun's sister, Miryo, had given him that silver won when they were kids. Jun never went anywhere without it "This is amazing. Thank you, Jun."

"I have your something blue." Junho offered Ewon a small box. 

"What is it, Junho?"

"Open it up and find out." Junho rolled his eyes.

Ewon did what he was told and found a soft blue baby taggie "Is this one of Jinwoon's?"

Biting his bottom lip, Junho nodded.

Ewon loved the way his friend still got emotional over his infant son "What about my something old?"

"That would be me." Narsha said, bursting into the bedroom Ewon was using to get dressed.

"You're my something old?" Ewon raised a skeptical eyebrow.

"Don't get fresh with me. I was hoping you'd let me walk you down the aisle."

"We'll see you downstairs." Jun slapped a hand on Ewon's shoulder.

"Wait! What about my something new?"

Jun and Junho exchanged a conspiratorial look. "Khun's got that."

"Weird." Ewon rolled his eyes, turning back to Narsha "You want to walk me down the aisle?" 

"I sure do. You know I love you like you're one of my own."

"As far as I'm concerned, Narsha, I am one of your own." Ewon meant it. He'd had a lot of foster mothers during his childhood, but no one had loved him like Hwang Narsha did.

"Well then let's get this show on the road."

Ewon followed Narsha down the stairs and into the kitchen where the kids were sitting at the table.

"What's up kiddos?"

"We're your flower girls!" Gain announced.

Jay frowned "I object!"

"You sound just like the people on Judge Judy." Narsha burst out laughing "You're very brave to be a flower boy."

The little boy's frown deepened.

"What if you were a flower T-Rex?"

Jay rolled his eyes "T-Rex didn't get married."

"Who says?" Narsha poked him in the belly "Why don't you walk down the aisle roaring and stomping." 

"Okay, but I'm not throwing flower petals."

Narsha slid open the glass door and Jay bounded out, roaring like a dinosaur. The girls followed behind in their white dresses, carrying their petal-filled baskets.

"You ready to marry the man of your dreams?"

Ewon nodded "I love him so much, Narsha."

"You've loved him all along."

Ewon was stunned to hear her say that "How did you know?"

"Mothers know things." Narsha kissed the side of his cheek "I could see the way you'd look at Khun when you thought no one was watching, not to mention the dreamy look you got when he said something to you."

"That's why you all pushed us together?"

"We knew you'd figure it out in your own good time and you did."

Ewon nodded "I'm ready."

They walked into the backyard to see everyone standing. The kids were up near the altar, throwing their leftover flower petals in the air and making them rain down all over them and Nichkhun, who looked handsomer than ever. 

Taec and Jun slapped his shoulder as he and Narsha walked past. Junho held up Jinwoon's tiny fist to wave.

"I want to welcome you all to Nichkhun and Ewon's recommitment ceremony." the officiant announced.

"You look amazing!" Nichkhun whispered.

"So do you." Ewon pressed forward to kiss his husband, the man of his dreams.

"Kissing! Ewww!" Jay announced loudly.

"Before we begin, our groom Nichkhun has something to present to Ewon."

Ewon remembered that Narsha said Nichkhun had his something new. He couldn't imagine what it could be. His husband had already given him his heart and this brand new life together as a family.

Nichkhun smiled at Ewon and reached into the inside pocket of his jacket, pulling something out that looked like a piece of paper "I know Jun and Junho gave you something borrowed and something blue. Narsha is your something old. I have your something new. Our something new." with a shaking hand, Nichkhun handed Ewon the paper.

Ewon took it from him and kissed Nichkhun again. He turned over the paper to see a grainy sonogram image of a baby "Oh my God!" Ewon gasped "Is this what I think it is?" 

"If you think it's our son, then you're right." fat tears rolled down Nichkhun's face.

Ewon couldn't believe his eyes. They'd been trying to get pregnant via a surrogate for six months now and it hadn't worked out. At least Ewon had been told it hadn't worked "Our son?" Ewon shook his head as if to clear it.

"He'll be arriving in time for Valentine's Day." Nichkhun reached over to brush Ewon's happy tears away.

Ewon pulled Nichkhun into his arms. Before this moment, he hadn't thought his life could get any better. Nichkhun's first gift to Ewon had been to make him a father and now he'd done it again.

"Are you sure that's all of the something new?" Mia shouted.

"What?" Ewon looked up at Nichkhun who was grinning at him like a lovesick fool.

Nichkhun reached into his pocket and pulled out another piece of paper, which he handed to Ewon "Oh, did I forget to mention his twin sister is coming too?"

 

The End!