Chapter 22

Reading Writing Romance

Ewon

Dinner had been amazing. It wasn't just the food, it was the way Nichkhun had been hanging on his every word. They'd talked about their first dates and worst dates before moving on to stories about their proms and the crazy things they'd done in college.

Nichkhun had been absolutely right when he'd said that they knew so much about each other simply because they lived together, but having a bit of background knowledge about each other was nice too.

For as much as Nichkhun and Ewon had talked over dinner, they were just as quiet on the way home. The silence gave Ewon plenty of time to think about what was to come between them.

As much as Ewon had been trying to deny it to himself, this was quickly becoming more than a marriage for Wooyoung's sake. He was convinced this had blossomed into an honest to goodness love connection.

Granted, he wasn't the best at being able to read other people, but he was pretty certain he and Nichkhun were on the same page here. Nichkhun didn't have to take him out to that restaurant and he certainly didn't have to pay for the meal or treat Ewon like a gentleman, but he did.

Not that Ewon had been checking everyone out at the restaurant, but there had been some seriously hot guys at Stone and Sage, their waiter included, and aside from the common pleasantries, Nichkhun had never looked at them.

"That was an awfully big meal. You're not falling asleep on me, are you?" Nichkhun grinned as he pulled the truck into their driveway.

Ewon laughed "No. I was just thinking about things."

"What kind of things?"

The kind of things best left unsaid... "I was just thinking about how hot it would be to ride your here in the truck."

Nichkhun hummed low "I got the feeling that you were thinking the same thing in the restaurant too." Nichkhun unbuckled his seatbelt and leaned over the center console to kiss his husband.

"I can't get you off my mind, Khun." Ewon said breathlessly. It was true. Nichkhun was consuming his thoughts and his daydreams.

"What would you say if I told you I was having the same problem?"

"I'd tell you to take your damn pants off." 

"Oh yeah?"

In the dim stream of light coming from the street light, Ewon could see Nichkhun undoing his belt and going for the button on his dress pants. Seconds later, the zipper slid down and Nichkhun was his .

"Is this what you want, Ewon?"

", yeah!" Ewon moved forward, intending on getting his lips around that gorgeous as soon as possible.

"Uh, uh." Nichkhun pressed a hand against Ewon's chest "Take your out of your pants."

Grinning at his husband, Ewon sat back down. His fingers were shaking so hard that it took longer than it should have to obey his husband. He had no idea where Nichkhun was going with this, but couldn't wait to find out. Ewon hissed when his hot hand finally slid down his shaft.

"I'd hate to think that my husband puts out on a first date." Nichkhun's right hand was slowly sliding down his , while his left hand fondled his balls.

Ewon laughed "I, on the other hand, have absolutely no problem with the idea that my husband puts out on a first date.

"Remember when we were talking about dating and making out on car dates?" 

Ewon nodded. His had been semi-hard while he'd listened to the stories Nichkhun told "Yeah."

"We never got to do that. You know, get all hot and heavy in the car."

"You should have driven us out to the beach or something so we could get our grooves on."

"As hot as that idea is, I don't want us getting arrested either."

Ewon couldn't imagine any judge looking favorably on prospective father's getting caught getting it on in a public place "What do you have in mind then?"

"Scoot over." Nichkhun lifted the center console and slid over next to his husband. As soon as they were settled, Nichkhun kissed Ewon.

Of all the times Ewon had made out in the car with a hot guy, none of them ever made him feel this desperate for their touch. Nichkhun's tongue lazily rubbed against his while his hand wrapped around Ewon's so they could jack his together. He moved his hand over top of Nichkhun's to do the same with his .

", that feels good." Nichkhun whispered. His hand tapped Ewon's.

Ewon knew exactly what Nichkhun wanted. He let go of his so that Nichkhun could take over. He moaned into Nichkhun's mouth when his husband started his shaft. 

"Totally like a first date." Nichkhun panted "Giving you so you won't think I'm too easy."

Ewon broke out of his trance to take Nichkhun's in his own hand "You're not easy, babe. You're mine."

Nichkhun whimpered against the side of Ewon's throat "God, Ewon. I didn't know it could feel like this."

After the talk they'd had over dinner, Ewon knew Nichkhun got s from other guys in the past, so he obviously knew what that felt like. What was it then that Nichkhun was talking about? "Didn't know what could feel this good?"

Ewon knew what he wanted his husband to say, but wasn't going to hold his breath waiting for those three little words he was sure would never come.

"Being with you. Touching you." Nichkhun cried out, his getting a bit harder in Ewon's hand "Loving you."

Ewon wasn't quite sure he'd heard Nichkhun right. Before he had time to say anything, Nichkhun was coming all over his hand. Ewon watched while wave after wave of burst from Nichkhun's to coat his hand and the good doctor's dress shirt.

"God, I ing love you, Ewon." Nichkhun cried out, nearly convulsing against his husband. 

Hearing those words triggered Ewon's own . He roared Nichkhun's name and held on to his husband for dear life. He wanted to say those words back to Nichkhun, but he was coming too hard to put them together. His husband loved him. Nichkhun loved him.

Ewon was still gulping for breath when his finally stopped twitching in Nichkhun's hand. He felt his husband start to pull away "Don't go, Khun." Ewon took a deep breath.

"You don't have to say it, just because I..."

"Shhh." Ewon kissed his lips tenderly "Give me a second, Khun. You scrambled my brains. I never thought you could feel like that about me." Ewon could feel tears pricking his eyes and was determined not to let them fall "I never thought you could love me too."

"Love you too?" Nichkhun whispered.

"I love you, Nichkhun. So damn much that I kept that love to myself. If you didn't return it, I wouldn't have survived."

"Well it's a good thing I'm a doctor, just in case you need mouth to mouth."

"I'll always need mouth to mouth, babe. And mouth to and to ." 

Nichkhun laughed "I love you so much more when your mouth is full and you can't talk."

Ewon laughed along with him. His husband loved him. Doctor Perfect, Nichkhun Buck Horvejkul was in love with him. He didn't know how such a miraculous thing was possible, but he did know he'd never let that feeling go.

 

svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg

 

Nichkhun

Nichkhun had been right about sleeping through breakfast. They'd both fallen asleep after the second time they'd made love.

Nichkhun couldn't believe that word was out in the open now. He'd made Ewon repeat himself at least a hundred times last night and had been only too happy to say those three magical words back to his husband.

It had never crossed his mind that it could actually be this good. When he'd agreed to listen to Jongup's hare-brained idea about marrying Ewon to make it easier to adopt Wooyoung, he'd been dubious at best. Hell, he was a pediatrician with a thriving practice who owned his own home. Nichkhun had no doubt any judge in the world would have allowed him to adopt Wooyoung by himself.

It had been the devastated look on Ewon's face that had made Nichkhun even consider Jongup's words. It was obvious how much Ewon loved the little boy and how crushed he would have been not to have been able to be Wooyoung's father. Nichkhun had been telling himself since the day they said "I do" that Wooyoung was the only reason they were wearing each other's rings. 

Lying here spooning the man he loved, Nichkhun realized Wooyoung wasn't the only reason he was Ewon's husband. They may have mixed like oil and water, back in the beginning, but now they were like brownie batter, smooth, sweet and delicious. Nichkhun snickered at the sappy reference.

"Khun?" Ewon asked sleepily.

"Yeah. Sorry if I woke you up." Nichkhun wasn't sorry. He wanted to kiss Ewon breathless and go for round three.

"Why are you laughing? Was I dreaming?" Ewon gasped and tried to roll over in Nichkhun's arms "Did I dream it or did you tell me that you loved me last night?"

"Slow down, y." Nichkhun pressed a kiss to the back of Ewon's neck "You had the sweetest dreams because you were wrapped in my arms. Yes, I told you I loved you last night. Several times in fact." Nichkhun kissed him " And yes, I made you moan that you love me even more times." Nichkhun kissed him again "And, I was laughing because I was thinking that we got along like oil and water in the beginning but now we were more like brownie batter."

Ewon finally managed to turn around. He slapped a hand on Nichkhun's forehead as if he were checking for a fever "We're like brownie batter?"

Nichkhun nodded, pressing a quick kiss to Ewon's lips "We're sweet and smooth and delicious."

Ewon started to laugh "And rich and fudgy and ooey-gooey." 

"Something like that." all Nichkhun wanted to do was spend the day like this with his husband. Wooyoung was safe and happy with Narsha. She'd sent a bunch of pictures last night of the kids making cookies and lying in their sleeping bags in the living room. There had been one really cute video of Wooyoung singing Let It Go from Frozen.

Thinking about Wooyoung brought Nichkhun back to reality. He and Ewon needed to sit down and figure out what the hell to do about Wooyoung's situation. How much was too much to tell or keep secret from the judge who would preside over Wooyoung's adoption.

"I can hear you thinking, babe." Ewon pressed kisses to the side of Nichkhun's throat.

Nichkhun nodded "As much as I want to stay in bed with you all day, we need to talk about Wooyoung."

"I know." Ewon kissed his nose "Why don't you grab a shower and I'll make my hard workin' man a hearty breakfast."

Nichkhun frowned. He'd rather be working Ewon hard in the shower, but if they started doing that then they'd never get around to talking about Wooyoung "Fine, but I want crispy bacon. None of the soft stuff Wooyoung likes."

Ewon started laughing "Will do."

"I love you, Ewon. I meant what I said last night. It wasn't the beer talking or the grilled salmon or even the talking. I am so madly in love with you that you hold my heart in your hands.”

"I'll make sure I keep it someplace safe then. I love you too, Nichkhun Buck...Nichkhun Jung Horvejkul." Ewon's voice sounded so dreamy when he said that.

"We're gonna talk about that too, what name our family is going to use." Nichkhun smacked a kiss against Ewon's temple and hurried into the bathroom. He'd never guessed saying "I love you" in the light of day could be so powerful.

Nichkhun rushed through his shower, just taking enough time to wash his hair and body before he was hopping out and throwing on a pair of clean running shorts. He could smell bacon and coffee as he came down the stairs.

"Wow, that was the fastest shower on record."

"I didn't want to be away from you any longer than I needed to be." Nichkhun wrapped his arms around Ewon from behind. His husband was scrambling eggs and they looked almost done.

"God, that's so sweet, it's gonna give me diabetes." Ewon turned around to kiss his husband "Did we get any more pics from Narsha and Kwanghee?"

"No, I'm betting the two of them were asleep as soon as the kids were." Nichkhun pulled away from Ewon to get plates and silverware. 

"We should do something nice for them. They've both been so good to Wooyoung and to us."

"I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a gift card to the place we went to last night for dinner or a hotel room for a nice weekend away."

"You're stalling Nichkhun Jung Horvejkul." Ewon raised an eyebrow at him and started spooning fluffy eggs on to the plates.

Nichkhun rolled his eyes "When it comes to our family name I think we should be Horvejkul. Or Jung Horvejkul." Nichkhun was quick to amend.

Bringing both plates to the table Ewon set them down and grabbed a napkin for himself "I'm good with Horvejkul. All of your patients' parents know you as Doctor Horvejkul. It won't be easy for my first grade class to know me as Horvejkul-sunsengnim when the school year starts, but that could be their first hard word that they learn to say."

Nichkhun breathed a sigh of relief. That was easier than he thought it would be. Not that he expected Ewon to argue, but he knew changing names could be a touchy subject. He forked up a mouthful of eggs, sighing with contentment.

"Good?" Ewon was munching on a piece of crispy bacon.

"Heavenly." Nichkhun wasn't used to someone else cooking for him. He wasn't very skilled in the kitchen so what he ate usually came out of a box or from the grocery store salad bar. 

"Tell me where your head is with Wooyoung."

"My head is all over the place." Nichkhun said honestly "Nothing is more important that being able to adopt him." there were so many other considerations they'd need to be prepared for if the adoption went through.

"I guess what I don't understand is that Wooyoung is a child who would end up in foster care if not for us. I would think any judge would give him to us just to keep one more child from staying in the foster care system."

"He's a child with special needs, Ewon. The judge needs to make sure that we're equipped to handle them."

"Do you think the judge would see having gender dysphoria as a special need?"

"I'm not sure, but between that and his having been born addicted to heroin and learning challenges that could bring, I think maybe we need to present a plan to the judge on how we're going to deal with both issues."

Ewon nodded, thoughtfully chewing some bacon "How are we going to deal with them?"

"I think the first thing we need to do is have him evaluated from an education standpoint. Is he behind for a child his age in math or reading?" 

"I can give testimony about that because he was in my class last year. Speaking objectively, I do think he's a little behind in both areas."

"I'm not so sure it's a good idea for you to present evidence on Wooyoung even though you were his teacher." Nichkhun knew they needed to be above board here with no conflicts of interest.

"You want someone independent of us to evaluate him?"

"I think its best. Not that you're not an excellent teacher." Nichkhun reached out a hand to Ewon. There was no easy way to say it without hurting his husband's feelings.

"I understand. You don't want there to be any conflict of interest, which is why we need another pediatrician to evaluate Wooyoung from a health standpoint too, right?"

"Exactly." Nichkhun breathed a sigh of relief.

"I can call about those things on Monday."

"How do you think we should handle Wooyoung's gender dysphoria?" Nichkhun had been trying to figure out where he stood on the whole situation for weeks now. He should have asked Ewon his opinion long before now.

"It's not an easy thing to decide. There's a lot to it." Ewon took a deep breath "I know he wants to change his name and grow his hair out, but beyond that, what do we do about school and pronouns? I know you hate it when I get emotional, but I don't want our child bullied. I know what that feels like and trans kids have a high enough suicide rate as it is."

Nichkhun reached out a hand to his husband "I'm so sorry I told you that you were too emotional. I had no right to do that." he squeezed Ewon's hand "To be honest, I'm pretty overwhelmed with it all too. I don't want to deny who Wooyoung is, but on the other hand is he too young to be exposed to all of the hate that is going to follow behind him?"

"I don't know, Khun. Obviously we need to see a shrink who specializes in transgender issues. I want to say he can wear dresses at home and pick any name he wants, but then if we don't let him be himself in public, we're closeting our own child."

There was so much to dealing with this "I think we need to see a therapist too."

Ewon frowned "You mean so that we're better equipped to help Wooyoung?"

Nichkhun shrugged "That and so we keep our marriage on a good path."

"It's a good idea to talk to someone who can help us figure things out with Wooyoung, but do you think this might be too much to handle for our marriage?"

"I don't know. What do you think? I mean we just realized we're in love with each other and with that, we have so much more to lose." this wasn't a simple marriage of convenience anymore. There were deep-running feelings involved now.

Ewon nodded "Maybe if we went once a month? Or made an appointment if things were getting out of hand?"

"Being in therapy doesn't mean our marriage is in trouble, Ewon."

"We have so many friends though..."

"Come on, babe. You know how that works. If you go to Jun with something, he's gonna tell Taec and then the whole world knows, not to mention what if we're at opposite ends of an issue? Our friends would feel like they'd have to take sides. I don't want to put them through that."

"You're right. I don't either. Our family and friends mean so much to me."

"To me too." Nichkhun stood up and pulled his husband into his arms "We're going to get through this, Ewon. I promise. We're going to adopt Wooyoung and our marriage is going to keep getting stronger. All we have to do is be open and trust each other."

"You make it sound so easy."

Nichkhun knew what they were embarking on was far from easy. There were heavy decisions they would have to make along the way. He knew there would be bullies at school and in their community. Any hardship they had to face would be worth it for Wooyoung's sake.