Chapter 6

Reading Writing Romance

Junho

Junho was sitting at the head of the circle on the reading rug. In his hand was his favorite new children's book, Dragons Love Tacos. The brightly colored illustrations and all the reasons why dragons love tacos were not enough to soothe his aching heart.

Not being able to comfort someone, a friend, was his biggest fear and he had the sinking feeling he hadn't done much to help Chansung last night. Once he'd managed to get his friend calmed down, he'd made a pot of coffee, French Vanilla, and got the full story about Jay out of Chansung.

Hating people wasn't his style, but after hearing about the way Hwang Jea had treated her son over the last five years, he could honestly say he hated that woman with every fiber of his being.

Keeping a smile plastered on his face, Junho turned the next page of the book which went on to explain that even though dragons loved tacos, they weren't fans of spicy salsa. The kids giggled, Hwang Jaebeom especially, which was a relief to Junho.

He'd spent most of the night worrying about how Jay would take the news about his mother moving all the way to Connecticut, but it seemed like the little boy didn't know yet.

After Chansung finished telling the story about Jea's plan to move, they'd started talking about what came next. The only thing Junho could think of was to fight fire with fire. It brought a smile to his face over the fact that was exactly how dragons sorted out their problems.

His only suggestion had been to get in touch with a lawyer specializing in custody and family law. It was a paltry suggestion at best, but he figured it was better than suggesting kidnapping the boy or hiring someone to break Jea's kneecaps.

It amazed him that in this day and age that Jea could be that hateful over someone's ual orientation. Granted, Chansung wasn't coming out smelling like a rose either, what with him having dated her for years to hide his true self.

"Lee-sunsengnim?" Taeyeon was looking at him curiously.

The little girl's voice snapped him out of his own head "Yes, Taeyeon?"

"What happens on the next page?" Taeyeon's eyes looked eager.

"Yeah!" Yugyeon said "You were reading and just stopped."

"Did you forget the words?" Jenny asked, inching closer on the rug.

Junho shook his head "Sorry guys. I was just thinking about how fun it would be if we were having tacos for lunch today." it was the best he could do on short notice. It wasn't like him to get lost in his own head in front of his class. This thing with Chansung and Jay really had him rattled. 

Chansung said he'd talk things over with his parents and then figure out where to go from there. They'd spent a little time researching custody lawyers online, but as the evening went on, Junho had seen his friend start to crash.

The night had ended with him tucking Chansung into bed. He'd sat on the edge of the bed watching as Chansung settled himself for the night. More than anything, Junho had wanted to crawl into bed with him and wrap his arms around him. What he did instead, was kiss Chansung's forehead and wish him sweet dreams.

"I don't like tacos." Jaebum half-whispered.

"Why not?" Jay asked, looking stunned.

"My mommy burns them." Jaebum giggled.

The whole class started laughing.

 

svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg

 

Chansung

Chansung had been so rattled by what happened last night with Jea that he'd called in sick to work. The library was usually slow during a workday Tuesday, so he didn't feel too bad at the thought of his coworkers having to cover for him.

What he did feel bad about was the way he'd treated Junho last night. What the hell was he thinking calling his friend over to talk and then trying to kiss him? At first he'd been hurt that Junho pushed him away, but after he'd sobered up a bit, he'd realized Junho had done the right thing.

If they ever came to a place where they did kiss each other, Chansung wanted it to be because it was what they both needed, not because one or both of them had been drinking.

Speaking of drinking, Chansung made a silent vow never to drink Malibu straight again. He'd woken up this morning feeling like his mouth was stuffed with cotton. His head had been pounding so hard, he'd had trouble seeing straight enough to call work to tell them he wouldn't be in today.

It hadn't been easy, but he'd gone over to see his parents around lunchtime and explained the situation to them. They'd both listened quietly to the entire story before telling Chansung that they were both willing to do whatever it took to keep Jea from taking Jay to Connecticut.

Knowing his parents were on his side made Chansung feel miles better, but the fact that they were willing to risk a second mortgage on their house to pay for a top notch lawyer made him sick to his stomach.

Twisting his feet into his sneakers, Chansung grabbed his keys from the peg board and headed out the door. His parents usually picked Jay up from school, but he figured since he was home, he'd surprise Jay. Maybe they could go do something special together. 

When Chansung got to Little Wonder Clovers, Junho's classroom was filled with parents and grandparents picking their kids up. One little girl, Taeyeon, he thought her name was, was showing her mother the classroom reptiles. The mother was cooing at the lizards.

Looking around the classroom, Chansung spotted Jay sitting on the reading rug with a book on his lap. Chansung smiled fondly at his son. Jay aside, books were his life and it seemed like Jay was poised to follow in his footsteps.

"He's been sitting with that book since I let them have some free activity time, half an hour ago."

Chansung turned to see Junho standing two steps behind him. A chill went through his body being this close to his crush "What book is it?"

Junho laughed "Dragons Love Tacos."

"Of course it is." Chansung shook his head. Thanks to Junho, Jay was now head over heels in love with dragons "You've been a good influence on him."

"Not as good as you've been." Junho pointed toward where Jay was sitting. 

Two little girls were sitting on either side of Jay, who appeared to be reading to them.  Grinning, Chansung fished his phone out of his pocket and started taking pictures of the kids together.

"Excuse me, are you Hwang-ssi?" A woman asked as she approached Chansung and Junho. 

"I am." Chansung said, curiosity lighting his voice. 

"I'm Yanin, Lalisa's mom. She does nothing but gush about your son and what a good friend he is to her." Yanin took a shuddering breath "When Lalisa was in pre-k at her old school, all of the reports I got about her said that she was anti-social and didn't make friends well or easily, but with Jay..."

"They're like peas and carrots." Junho supplied. 

Chansung laughed "They sure are."

"Maybe we could get them together for a play date?" Yanin sounded hopeful. 

"I'd love that.” Chansung agreed easily. It wasn't good for Jay to spend all of his free time with adults. 

Yanin dug a card out of her purse "My cell phone number and email address are all on it. I can never thank you enough for raising a son that is kind and loving." she patted his shoulder and headed toward the kids. 

"That's quite the testimonial." Junho waved at Yanin and Lisa as they left the classroom.

It sure was. Aside from his parents and lately Junho, no one ever complimented him on his parenting skills. His main goal with Junho had been to raise a child who was compassionate and loving. It looked like he was succeeding "Thanks, Junho." Chansung turned back to face his crush "I want to apologize to you for the way I acted last night."

Junho nodded "There's nothing to apologize for."

"I was wasted and raving about my life and I tried to..." he'd tried to kiss Junho. Where the hell had his head been?

Junho laughed "Who am I to complain when a gorgeous man tries to kiss me?"

Gorgeous? Junho thought he was gorgeous? "I was thinking of doing something special with Jay tonight. I'd love it if you joined us."

Junho nodded, shoving his hands in his pockets "What's Jay's favorite way to spend a school night?"

"He loves to buy fresh pizza dough at the supermarket and make his own pizza. You interested?" Chansung crossed his fingers behind his back.

"That all depends on the toppings." Junho smirked, his bottom lip with his tongue.

 Chansung snorted "Jay loves pepperoni, but I like mushrooms."

Junho wrinkled his nose "Mushrooms?"

"Don't knock it 'til you try it."

"In a casserole yes, on a pizza, no way." Junho took half a step closer "You think Jay would share his pepperoni with me?"

"I think he'd share his liver with you. He's nuts about you." Jay wasn't the only one who was nuts about Junho. 

"I'd love to make pizza with you both." Junho smiled, looking over at Jay who was now sitting alone with his favorite book. 

Chansung followed Junho's line of sight. He smiled fondly at the way Junho was watching Jay read with his index finger running over the printed words. The most important quality in a potential husband was for the other man to love his son like Jay was his own. He'd hazard a guess that Junho was just the man for the job, which of course was putting the cart way before the horse, but what did it hurt to dream? "We usually read books after dinner and then he goes to bed. Maybe we could talk after he's tucked in?"

"Maybe we could do other things..." Junho waggled his eyebrows and slapped a hand on Chansung's shoulder before heading toward Jay on the reading rug. 

A full body shiver tore through Chansung who broke out in goose bumps. He had no idea what Junho's "other things" were, but he couldn't wait to find out.