Chapter 7

Reading Writing Romance

Ewon

Ewon and Nichkhun were sitting in the same seats they'd sat in last week when they'd met with Jongup. The lawyer thought it would be for the best if he were to pick Wooyoung up from his foster parents and brought him to Nichkhun and Ewon in his office.

Knowing himself as well as he did, Ewon knew he wouldn't have been able to control his temper if he'd seen Wooyoung's foster parents. How anyone could not fall instantly in love with the boy was something Ewon would never understand and couldn't forgive.

Spinning his new wedding ring around with his left thumb, Ewon studied his new husband. Nichkhun looked tired and nervous, neither a good look on the doctor.

As far as wedding nights went, theirs wasn't the worst on record. It didn't involve lube and hours of , but it didn't involve fighting either. Ewon scored that a win, even though the only scoring he did was with his right hand. 

Narsha and Kwanghee had sent them home with a ton of food from the party. She'd also packed up the top tier of their wedding cake, saying it was tradition to eat it on their one year anniversary. A lot could happen in three hundred and sixty-four days.

They'd spent the night talking about what to expect with Wooyoung today and eating lobster tails and cold steak tips before heading up to bed alone. Ewon wouldn't have minded a kiss on the cheek or a kiss anywhere really, but maybe that would come in time like Chansung suggested in his toast.

"I've never been this nervous in my life." Nichkhun was drumming his fingers on the conference room table.

"You're gonna do great." the only thing that worried Ewon was that Wooyoung had spent more time with him in the classroom, that and the fact that Ewon had never jabbed the boy with a needle. He could only hope Wooyoung would warm up to Nichkhun quickly.

After listening to Nichkhun's story about his father, Ewon knew Nichkhun would be crushed if Wooyoung was standoffish with him. He was about to get out of his chair to go sit next to Nichkhun when he heard the front door to the law office open.

"Is that them?" Nichkhun looked panicked.

"I think so." Ewon hurried around the table. He had so many butterflies in his stomach that he was afraid they'd burst out like the creature in the movie Alien. 

"Hi, guys. Look who I've got." Jongup walked into the conference room sounding happy but looking worried.

Wooyoung trudged into the conference room. His face looked dirty and his dark hair was sticking up, but that wasn't the worst part. The little boy looked like a zombie. His dark eyes were cold and dead. It seemed to be taking all of the boy's energy for him to cross the room.

Nichkhun moved instantly, kneeling down in front of the boy "Hi, Youngie. Do you remember me?"

The little boy nodded "Are you gonna give me a shot, Doctor Khunnie?"

"No, not at all. You're gonna come live with me and Ewon." Nichkhun reached out to move his hands over Wooyoung.

Wooyoung cringed, causing Nichkhun to back off "Who's Ewon?"

Nichkhun hooked a thumb over his shoulder "Jung-sunsengnim. You remember him, right?"

"Hi, Wooyoung." Ewon knelt next to Nichkhun. This child was not the same little boy who lit up his classroom with laughter "What's wrong with him?" he whispered to Nichkhun.

"It looks like he's on some meds. Benadryl maybe, or some ADHD drugs. Did his foster family send him with any belongings?" Nichkhun looked up at Jongup. 

"All they gave me was a bag." Jongup ducked out of the conference room and came back a moment later with a plastic bag from Wal-Mart, stuffed to the gills.

Dumping the bag on the table, Ewon could see there were some dirty clothes, but no toys, books or comfort items. Nichkhun pawed through Wooyoung's meager belongings until he pulled out a medicine bottle "This is what's wrong with Wooyoung."

Ewon took the bottle from him and read the label "Children's Tylenol."

"The bottle is half empty." Nichkhun's hands were fisted on his hips. Ewon could almost feel the anger radiating from Nichkhun.

Ewon looked back and forth between zombie Wooyoung and Nichkhun "They overdosed him." it wasn't a question.

"It looks that way." Nichkhun said through gritted teeth.

"Do we need to take him to the ER?" God, how would that look if they had to take Wooyoung to the hospital five minutes after they got custody of him?

Nichkhun shook his head "No, he's okay, just in super slow motion. This effect should wear off in a few hours."

Ewon turned back to Wooyoung who was standing right where they'd left him, with a zoned-out look on his face. When the boy had been his student, Wooyoung was constantly on the go, a study in perpetual motion. This child was almost unrecognizable.

Seeing the boy like this broke his heart "Should we call the police, Jongup?"

The lawyer shook his head "No, but I am going to get in touch with the Department of Health and Human Services to get this family's foster care license suspended and hopefully revoked."

"Thanks, Jongup." Nichkhun turned to Ewon "Let's take our son home."

Ewon found a smile. This homecoming might not be the fast-paced party he thought it would be, but that didn't matter. Wooyoung was coming home with them.

 

svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg

 

Nichkhun

Nichkhun felt as if he could breathe fire. He'd heard of parents overdosing their kids in order to get some quiet time. He'd even had parents asking how much liquid Benadryl would be enough to knock their kids out. Nichkhun had always refused requests that weren't in the best interests of his patients.

Watching Wooyoung sit on the living room sofa watching Frozen with Ewon was heartbreaking. The little boy was the one who was frozen. He was a shell of the vibrant, active little boy Nichkhun had always known him to be. He hated seeing Wooyoung like this. 

"Are we going to school Jung-sunsengnim?" Wooyoung's dark eyes were curious.

Ewon looked up at Nichkhun who was walking toward them from the kitchen. They'd decided to wait to talk about Wooyoung living with them until the little boy's meds started to wear off.

"No, buddy. It's summer vacation, remember?" Ewon locked eyes with Nichkhun, almost as if he needed the other man's strength.

"I'd rather go to school then have to go back to that place." Wooyoung turned his attention back to the movie.

It made Nichkhun wonder what kind of hell the little boy had lived in at his foster home if he'd rather go to school than go back there "Ewon and I have something we want to talk to you about, Youngie."

"You get to call Jung-sunsengnim by his first name?"

"Of course I do. Ewon is my husband." Nichkhun sat next to Ewon on the sofa, wrapping his arm around Ewon's back "He's also my best friend." it felt good saying that out loud, better than Nichkhun thought it would.

"I don't have to get a shot, do I, Doctor Khunnie?" Wooyoung looked nervously between them.

"Nope, no shots. Ewon and I want you to live here with us." Nichkhun gave the boy a bright smile, which Wooyoung didn't return. 

"Until you want to send me away like everyone else."

Ewon looked like he was going to cry "We would never send you away, Wooyoung."

"That's what Aunt Rania said too." the little boy did not look impressed with what he was hearing.

Ewon did start to cry then. A rogue tear slipped down his cheek. He turned to Nichkhun with a helpless look on his face.

"This couch is a lot nicer than the one in my old house. I'll like sleeping here." Wooyoung was rubbing his hand over the smooth, dark leather of the sectional.

Nichkhun exchanged a horrified look with Ewon. The foster parents made Wooyoung sleep on a sofa? He'd sworn an oath to do no harm, but right now, all he wanted to do was make those people pay for mistreating Wooyoung "No, you have your own beautiful bedroom upstairs."

"How many other kids sleep in the room?"

This conversation was not going well. The more Wooyoung revealed, the angrier Nichkhun got at how the boy had been treated. Looking over at Ewon, he could tell they were on the same page.

"No one else sleeps in your room. It has a great big bed. There are toys and books that are all yours. You can share them with anyone you want, but nobody can take them away from you." Ewon had managed to rein his emotions back in, but still sounded like he could break down again at any moment.

"Why are you doing this for me?" Wooyoung's eyes held no warmth.

Nichkhun knew this was the moment of truth. He prayed that Wooyoung would accept what he was about to say "Ewon and I want to be your daddies."

"We want you to be our son." Ewon smiled up at Nichkhun.

"I'd get to have two daddies?" Wooyoung looked back and forth between them as if he were waiting for one of them to say they were just kidding.

Nichkhun nodded "Would you like that?" God, he was more nervous now than when he'd sat for the medical boards.

"It depends." Wooyoung said, seriously.

"On what?" Nichkhun asked. His voice sounded shaky even to his own ears.

"I don't want to go back to Aunt Rania or that other family." Wooyoung shivered in the warm room.

"I give you my word, Wooyoungie, you'll never have to go back to either place." Ewon held up his baby finger to pinkie swear with the boy.

Wooyoung folded his arms over his chest "What if I don't want to stay with you?" 

Nichkhun actually felt his heart break. He didn't know this kind of pain was possible. The six-year-old boy sitting in front of him wanted an exit strategy "We'll find another home for you if you decide you don't want to stay here."

Ewon turned to Nichkhun with an appalled look marring his face. Nichkhun rubbed a hand against his husband's back.

"Ewon and I would like you to stay for at least a week. If you want to leave then, we'll both help you pack." looking over at Ewon, Nichkhun could see the horrified look on his face was gone. In its place was a mask of anger. He could see a muscle ticking in Ewon's jaw.

Nichkhun sighed. He had no plans to let Wooyoung walk out the door. He just wished Ewon could see his master plan. Hopefully Ewon would give him a chance to explain himself later "Why don't we go see your room, Youngie?"

"I guess we could do that." Wooyoung hopped off the couch. His eyes said that he wasn't expecting very much.

Less than twenty-four hours into their marriage, Ewon looked like he wanted to kick Nichkhun and Wooyoung wasn't sure he wanted to live with them. Great, just great.