Chapter 15

Reading Writing Romance

Minjun

It felt to Minjun like the rest of the week flew by at light speed. Between nature walks, a million trips down the waterslides and sleepovers with both kids, it was Saturday and time to pack up. It had all gone by in the blink of an eye. 

Gain had spent their last night with Jay. Their plan had been to stay up late and watch episodes of Jake and the Neverland Pirates. According to a text from Junho, both kids had been asleep by 8:30pm. Jun and Taec took advantage of their last night alone to spend some quality time together.

For the first time in days, Taecyeon hadn't wanted to shower with him. Instead, he told Jun he could take the first shower. Twinges of worry worked their way through his body. Gain was still with Junho and Chansung, so if it wasn't being interrupted that made Taec want to shower alone then what was it?

"You about ready to go down for breakfast?" the cheer Jun had gotten used to hearing in Taec's voice was gone.

Jun moved away from the king-sized bed, still messy from last night to face Taecyeon. He looked like hell. His black hair was still damp, but combed neatly and he was dressed in jeans and a sweater. It was the dead look in Taec's usually animated black eyes that was the most troubling "What's wrong, babe? You look like you barely slept."

Taec shoved his hands into the pockets of his faded Levi's "I didn't really get any sleep at all."

"You should have woken me up. We could have gone for round three." Jun slipped his arms around Taecyeon. He was shocked when his lover stiffened beneath his touch. 

"I couldn't sleep because I was thinking." Taec's voice was barely above a whisper.

Nothing good ever came out of those words. Jun dropped his arms from Taecyeon's shoulders and took a step back "What were you thinking about?"

Taec nibbled on his bottom lip, his gaze focused on his bare feet "This last week with you and Gain has been amazing."

Jun knew the start of a brush off when he heard one "Was it, now?"

"You and Gain have made so much progress, Jun. She actually looked sad to be leaving you last night. I never imagined she could come this far in such a short period of time."

"Us, Taec. She looked sad to be leaving us."  Jun had noticed Gain's touch of reluctance to spend the night with Jay until Chansung mentioned microwave popcorn.

Taec shrugged, rocking back on his heels "The point I was trying to make was that the two of you are closer than ever."

"You're right. I've noticed the same thing, but what does that have to do with you looking like from not sleeping?" Jun had a bad feeling about the direction of this conversation. 

Taec offered Jun a sad smile "You and Gemma don't need me anymore, Jun. You're a family now."

"What the hell are you talking about? The three of us are a family." Jun's head was spinning. What was Taecyeon saying?

"No. You wanted me around so that I could help you and Gain get along better, so that you weren't angry at each other all the time. Look at her Jun, all she did this week was smile and laugh."

"Did you ever think she was that happy because we were all together?" he left off "like a family."

"I'm sure that had something to do with it. Now that you're happy together, neither one of you needs me anymore." Taecyeon looked resigned to that fate. There didn't seem to be an ounce of fight in him.

Jun had plenty of fight for both of them "So that's it, Mary Poppins? You're off to play savior to another family now?"

Taec shook his head sadly "No Jun. I'll go back to my life and you and Gain can start yours with a clean slate."

"Oh we can, can we?" Sarcasm dripped from his voice. How the hell had they gone from ing like rabbits just a few hours ago, to this?

"Jun, don't make this harder than it has to be." Taec took a step backward, wrapping his arms around himself. 

"Harder than it has to be?" Jun shouted "You spent the week ing me and acting like you gave a about us and all this time you were planning to leave us like a thief in the night?" Jun was beside himself. His emotions were in a tangle, with anger and heartbreak vying for top honors.

"I wasn't planning anything. You wanted me to come on vacation to smooth the way with you and Gain and that's what I did."

"So ing me was just a bonus?" all Jun wanted was for Taecyeon to be gone. His heart was breaking so badly that he couldn't bear to look at his ex.

"No, Jun. I never said that." tears pooled in Taecyeon's eyes. He swiped angrily at them, not seeming to want them to fall in front of Jun.

"What are you saying?" as angry as Jun was in this moment, he still wanted to go to Taecyeon and hold the impossible man until he stopped crying.

"You said you wanted this week to be a trial run. The week is over. Trial run is over. Now we have to go home and get back to reality."

"You dirty son of a !" Jun shook his head, his hands on his hips "I ing trusted you. Every ing nerve in my body told me to stay away from you, that you'd only break my heart again, but I didn't listen. I thought this time would be different, but it wasn't. Make sure you ride home with Nichkhun and Ewon. I can't even stand to look at you." grabbing the key to the room, Jun ran. It was the only thing he could do.

 

svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg

 

Taecyeon

The slamming door echoed loudly in the empty room. Taec felt hot tears scald down his face to drip onto his sweater. He wiped his fists over his eyes. Now wasn't the time to cry. There would be plenty of time for that later, once he was home in his empty apartment and there was no one to watch.

He'd spent most of the night trying to figure out what the hell to do about Jun. His heart wanted him to shout his love for Jun from the rafters while his head told him to shut the up. He'd listened to his head.

The week at the resort with Jun and Gain had been picture perfect. It had actually felt like they were a real family. Taec hadn't been exaggerating when he'd told Jun how close he and Gain had gotten during this week.

Where the little girl used to sit as far away from Jun as she could get, now she'd been sitting next to him, or more often than not on him. She was full of laughs and gave Jun more hugs in an hour than she'd done in the three months she'd lived with him.

Not that Gain hadn't been just as demonstrative with Taecyeon. She had. Usually she would insist each man sit on either side of her or that they take turns riding down the waterslide with her. They'd been the family Taecyeon had always dreamed they could be.

He knew it was going to hurt Gain not to have him around anymore, but the minor pain she'd feel was tiny in comparison to how it had felt to lose her mother. Taec knew she'd be over him in a few days.

Over the last few days, he hadn't heard Gain lisp once. He'd told her again and again how proud of her he was. Now that she wasn't lisping anymore, there was no need for him to see her again. It would be a nice, clean break.

As wonderful as the week with Jun had been, his ex hadn't given any indication that he wanted to make their vacation arrangement permanent. That had been the tipping point in the discussion between his heart and his head.

Never once had Jun told him how he felt and Taecyeon hadn't been about to spill the beans about his own feelings without so much as a hint from Jun that they were returned. He knew it was taking the coward's way out, but there it was.

He'd been on tenterhooks for days waiting for Jun to say those three little words. Hell, Taec would have settled for hearing Jun say he was falling for him or even still had feelings for him. But it wasn't to be.

He'd taken Nichkhun and Ewon's advice to be happy and had run with it. He every single drop of happiness out of this week and lying in Jun's arms last night, he realized that Jun hadn't offered him anything more permanent than one last night together.

Jun had said over and over again how they needed to take advantage of their "last night" together. That said it all, didn't it?

If Jun had wanted them to continue on as they had been, he would have made plans for tonight or later in the week, but he hadn't.

Taec reached into the closet and grabbed his suitcase. It didn't take him long to pile all of his clothes back into it. The last thing to pack was his purple Kensington Resort t-shirt that Jun had bought him.

Gain had seen other families wearing matching lodge tees and she insisted they get matching ones too. Jun had agreed and bought them all shirts in Gain's favorite color. Chansung and Junho had liked the idea so much they'd done the same with thing with green shirts. Taec had a million pics on his phone of them all together in their matching shirts. Nichkhun and Ewon had even joined in getting matching blue shirts.

There wouldn't be any more family bonding exercises for him now. He'd go home, cry for Jun and Gain, and then somehow manage to start his life again.

He was only thirty years old. There was plenty of time for him to find a man who would love and trust him unconditionally. He'd look for a man who wasn't afraid to lay his cards on the table. He'd become the kind of man who wasn't afraid to talk about his feelings. 

It would take some time, but he knew he'd get over Kim Minjun. He'd done it once before. Taecyeon knew he could do it again.

Leaving the bedroom he'd shared with Jun, Taec ducked into Gain's room. Her clothes and toys were everywhere. He bent to pick up her matching purple Kensington Resort shirt. It was stained with hot fudge from the sundae bar they'd gone to last night to celebrate their last night at the resort.

Gain had cried when she realized her shirt was ruined. Jun had assured her that it would come out in the wash and would be good as new. That earned Jun a hug and a kiss on the cheek. Taec held the shirt to his face, rubbing the soft material against his day old stubble.

He set the shirt on her bed and headed back to Jun's bedroom. Fat teardrops dripped to land on his suitcase as he zipped it up. He wiped his sleeve against his eyes and dragged the suitcase out the door. The quiet sound of the door closing echoed loud in the quiet hallway.