Chapter 24

Reading Writing Romance

Ewon

Hwang Narsha and Kwanghee's backyard was set up for the party when everyone got there, making Ewon think this had all been set up before they'd left for court this morning. Ewon shuddered to think what would have happened to the party if the judge had ruled against their adoption petition.

Knowing Narsha and Kwanghee, there still would have been a party, only it would have been a get together and would have been minus the streamers and cake with "Congratulations Khun, Won-Won, and Woo."

"Is this party for me, Daddy Won-Won?" Wooyoung was tugging on his hand.

"It sure is, buddy." Ewon scooped the little boy into his arms. 

"My new family loves me lots." Wooyoung wrapped his arms around Ewon's neck.

"We sure do." Nichkhun wrapped his arms around them from behind.

Ewon reveled in this moment. The ink may still be wet on the adoption order, but Wooyoung was their son and Nichkhun was in love with him. Life couldn't get any better.

"Woo!" Gain and Jay shouted as they ran into the backyard.

"Hi guys!" Wooyoung waved from Ewon's arms "Down, Daddy Won-Won." Wooyoung squirmed to be set down.

When Ewon put him down, Wooyoung ran to his friends. They wrapped their arms around him in a swaying, giggle-filled group hug.

"Boy, is that something to see." Junho wrapped his arms around Ewon and Nichkhun from behind.

Ewon nodded, feeling his emotions bubbling to the surface. It had only been nine months since the custody hearing that gave Jay to Chansung and Junho by extension. It had been Junho and Nichkhun who'd worked with Jay to get the little boy to finally reveal who'd been abusing him.

Ewon couldn't imagine how hard it had been for his friend to have been back in that same courtroom with that same judge "It sure it." Ewon turned to his friend "Did you rehearse Jay's lines with him this morning?"

Junho burst out laughing "Are you kidding me? That little performance was all Jay."

"I think the judge had his mind made up about Wooyoung before he brought us in to the courtroom, but Jay's words sealed the deal." Chansung grinned.

Nichkhun shook his head "I'm not so sure about that."

"What do you mean?" Ewon was curious to hear Nichkhun's take on the hearing.

"I think he might have been leaning toward us adopting Wooyoung, but seeing us with our family is what made his decision final."

"Family is something I never really had until I met Jun and Junho." Ewon said quietly "We became friends the day we all met and from that moment, we were inseparable. Then Chansung met Junho and we were all taken under Narsha and Kwanghee's wing. I hope you don't mind me saying that your parents feel like they're mine too, Chansung."

Chansung snorted "I don't mind at all because it's true."

"What's going on with all the hugging and laughing?" Jun smacked a kiss against Taecyeon's hand as they joined their friends. 

"Khun was saying how it was our family that clinched the judge's approval of Wooyoung's adoption and I was remembering how our family came to be."

"If it weren't for all of you, I never would have gotten Taecyeon back in my life, that's for damn sure." Jun pressed a kiss against Taec's temple.

"It's amazing really how we all came together." Taecyeon agreed "And it's thanks to you and Khun that we're looking into extending our family."

"Gain finally talked you into getting another cat, huh?" Nichkhun squeezed Ewon's hand.

Taec and Jun smiled mysteriously and shook their heads "We're talking about having a second child."

Junho and Chansung started to laugh "We didn't want to say anything until we had some news to report, but so are we."

There were hugs all around.

"Do you think we should give Wooyoung his present now?" Ewon whispered to Nichkhun.

"Do you think now is the right time? In front of everyone like this?" Nichkhun nibbled his bottom lip.

Ewon nodded "Wooyoung said it himself, his new family loves him lots." 

"I'll go get the bag." Nichkhun kissed Ewon hard and headed toward the gate in the fence.

"Who would have ever thought Khun would be kissing you like he wanted to eat you for lunch?" Junho elbowed him.

"We sure as hell didn't." Jun rolled his eyes.

"Oh, please. The two of you have been pushing us at each other for months now." Ewon had been a bit annoyed with their obvious ploy in the beginning, but now he could see how right they'd been to push him and Nichkhun together.

"Almost like we knew something you didn't?" Jun asked.

"Maybe." Ewon grudgingly admitted. He knew damn well his friends had been trying to get him and Nichkhun together from the beginning, but who could have imagined this was how their happy ending would play out.

"It's just nice to see you so happy." Junho set a hand on Ewon's shoulder "All of you." he pointed toward the gate where Nichkhun was walking toward them carrying a handled bag with Sleeping Beauty on it.

"Youngie?" Nichkhun called out, setting the bag near the Adirondack chairs "Daddy Won-Won and I have a present for you."

Wooyoung ran toward Nichkhun, his eyes popped open wide when he saw the pink bag "This is for me?" 

Nichkhun nodded "It sure is." he winked at Ewon who'd taken the seat next to his.

Ewon had gone shopping for the items in the bag weeks ago. He'd done a lot of this kind of shopping since Wooyoung had come to live with them, but had been hiding his purchases in the back of the closet in the guest bedroom until the time was right to show Nichkhun.

The reason he hadn't moved all of his things into Nichkhun's room yet was to hide the evidence, not that Nichkhun would be upset if he'd seen what Ewon had been buying, but that he didn't want to jinx Wooyoung's adoption hearing.

"Can I look inside?" Wooyoung's eyes glowed with excitement.

"Go for it." Ewon encouraged. 

Wooyoung pulled off the pink tissue paper, throwing it in the air above his head. He watched while it slowly drifted back down, landing in Ewon's lap.

Wooyoung reached into the bag and pulled out a tie-dyed pink and white summer dress "Is this for me?" his dark eyes were wide with awe.

Ewon nodded "Do you like it?"

Wooyoung shook his head no. 

Ewon felt his heart squeeze in his chest. He'd never picked out clothes for a girl before and obviously his taste was all in his mouth.

"I don't like it, Daddy Won-Won. I LOVE it!" Wooyoung shouted.

Ewon felt himself sag in relief. The smile on Wooyoung's face was one he'd remember for the rest of his life.

Nichkhun set a hand on Ewon's shoulder, giving it a firm squeeze "What else is in the bag?"

Wooyoung rummaged around and pulled out a pair of pink sandals and some hair clips "All of this is for me?"

"Daddy Khun and I promised that you could wear a dress as soon as your adoption was final." Ewon still couldn't believe Wooyoung was their child.

Tears gathered in Wooyoung's eyes "I've never been so happy in my entire life!"

"Neither have we." Ewon could feel his own tears starting. Up until this moment all the tears he'd cried had been full of pain and fear. These tears were full of joy.

"Do you want me to help you change your clothes, Wooyoungie?" Narsha asked.

"Yeah, but I can't wear this beautiful dress with Spiderman underpants." he dropped into the chair next to Nichkhun and sunk his head into his hands. 

! Ewon had princess underwear for Wooyoung at home, but hadn't thought to pack it.

"Well I think I can help you out with that Wooyoungie." Narsha was all smiles.

"Are you gonna give him some of your Grams to wear?" Jay asked Narsha.

Ewon burst out laughing. He couldn't help himself.

"You mind your business, Jay. Girls don't talk about their underpants in public." Narsha winked at her grandson.

"I didn't know that, Grams." Wooyoung looked up at her with his bottom lip trembling.

Narsha knelt down in front of him "That's okay, honey. You have a lot of time to learn all about being a girl." Narsha pulled him into her arms.

"Will you help me?" Wooyoung asked shyly.

"I sure will." Narsha squeezed him tight.

"Me too!" Gain ran over to join them "No one knows more about being a girly-girl than me."

"Okay, thanks Gainoo." 

"Let's go get you changed. Come on, Gainoo. You too." Narsha took the bag and carried it toward the house.

"Well, what do you think?" Nichkhun asked.

"I think Wooyoung's right."

"About not talking about underpants in public?"

Ewon laughed "No, that today is best day of my entire life." he meant it. Now that Wooyoung was officially their child he felt like today was the first day of the rest of his life.

"I couldn't agree more." Nichkhun pressed a kiss to Ewon's temple.

 

svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg

 

Nichkhun

Nichkhun and Ewon were standing in Wooyoung's doorway watching him sleep. Wooyoung had been so excited about finally getting to wear dresses that it had been hard to get him to settle down for the night.

After his bath, they'd had their first argument as a family. Wooyoung wanted to sleep in the pink dress. Nichkhun said no and Ewon hadn't seen the harm in it. Nichkhun had won the day when he produced a Little Mermaid nightgown and matching slippers. Ewon hadn't been the only one doing some covert shopping. 

Nichkhun could see Wooyoung was snuggled up with his rainbow pony, the top of his head just visible over the top of his pink princess blanket "How long are we going to stand here?"

Ewon shrugged "Five more minutes. I still can't believe he's ours."

Nichkhun felt the same way. After they'd gotten home from the party, he'd read and re-read the adoption papers twice just to make sure the words were right. They were.

"How about one more minute?" Nichkhun pressed his lips to the back of Ewon's neck.

"Why so soon? You got plans for us?"

Nichkhun could hear the grin in Ewon's voice "I sure do."

"Does it involve both of us being N-A-K-E-D?"

"Why are you spelling?" Nichkhun whispered.

"Wooyoung might be faking that he's asleep."

"He's not faking it. I can tell by the pattern of his breathing."

Ewon turned around "You're on my about standing here watching him sleep and you're the one who has his breathing patterns memorized?" 

Nichkhun felt himself blush "The judge might have asked."

"You thought the judge might have asked what our son's breathing sounds like when he's asleep?"

"Maybe." Nichkhun shrugged. He needed to know as much about Wooyoung as possible so that he could answer any question the judge threw at them.

"You're the best father, Khun."

Nichkhun shook his head "No, that title belongs to you." Nichkhun meant every word. He'd spent a lot of time over the last few weeks watching how Ewon interacted with Wooyoung. He was always patient, even if Wooyoung was on his last nerve. Ewon was quick to smile and slow to anger, just the kind of man he'd always imagined himself marrying and starting a family with.

"Come on." Nichkhun took Ewon's hand and led him toward their bedroom. Ewon had moved the rest of his things into the master bedroom after they'd gotten home.

Nichkhun hadn't understood why Ewon had been reluctant to move the rest of his clothes into their room, but once he'd explained Wooyoung's girl clothes had been hidden in the closet, Nichkhun understood completely.

Shutting the door behind them, he pulled Ewon into his arms "This is the best day of my life." 

"Of our life." Ewon grinned and tugged on Nichkhun's shirt until his husband let him pull it over his head.

"Of our life. Do you think this is it for us or will there be more days like this?" Nichkhun shucked off his cargo shorts and pulled back the covers on the bed. He watched Ewon get undressed with a deliberate slowness he knew his husband used when he was thinking about something.

"Well, we already got married and Wooyoung is officially ours..." Ewon trailed off.

Nichkhun hated to admit it to himself, but Ewon had a point. Their wedding had been a quick affair with no emotions and no joy. Maybe it was possible to re-create that day so that they'd both get to have the wedding of their dreams.

"What about more kids?" Nichkhun didn't want to tip his hand about his idea of renewing their vows.

Ewon got into bed and rested on his back.

Nichkhun wasn't going to let that stand. He pulled his husband to lie against his chest.

"I love this so much." Ewon sighed and snuggled closer against Nichkhun's chest. 

Nichkhun loved it too. Before he and Ewon had admitted their feelings to each other, holding his husband close was the only way he could show his feelings "That's not an answer."

"I think Wooyoung is going to bring a lot of unique challenges into our lives. He's going to need a lot of our time and patience."

Nichkhun nodded "Does that mean you don't think there's room for a baby?"

"A baby?" Ewon sounded shocked.

Nichkhun laughed "Yeah, what did you think I meant?"

"I thought you'd want to adopt again." Ewon half-whispered against his skin.

"I would never close the door on adopting. I think Wooyoung taught us just how big our hearts really are. I'd like us to have a baby of our own."

"I'd like that too."

Nichkhun had been surprised that their friends were all looking to expand their families. They had such a perfect family and the idea of adding more kids to it filled Nichkhun's heart with joy.

"When were you thinking about adding to our family?" 

Nichkhun laughed, flipping Ewon onto his back and ripping down his boxers "Whenever you're ready."

"Seems like you're ready now." Ewn laughed.

"You know we can't make babies, right?"

"We can sure as hell practice.