Chapter 25

Reading Writing Romance

Junho

Junho couldn't believe it was really over. He stood stunned as the police officers in the courtroom arrested a struggling Jongkook who was shouting for Jea to bail him out. Oddly enough, Jea never turned around to look at him. Once her fiancé was led from the room, she shook hands with her lawyers and started making her way toward them.

Their little group had grown, with Kwanghee and Narsha hugging and quietly congratulating Chansung, telling him they'd believed in him all along. Minjun gave his younger brother a slap on the back, while Doctor Nichkhun chatted quietly with Jay.

Junho's stomach started churning as Jea got closer. He couldn't help being a bit shocked when Chansung wrapped his arm protectively around him, pulling Junho closer to his side.

"Chansung." Jea said, looking him straight in the eye "I'm sorry I was too self-absorbed to protect our son. Jongkook had, uh..." she looked away, seeming to struggle with what she was about to say. "He'd hit me a few times. I should have left then and there, but I wasn't strong enough to stand on my own two feet." 

"You're going to need to find that strength damn quick. I've given you one last chance to be a mother to our son who loves you very much."

"I love you, Mommy but you need to go to the hos-a-pital and let the nice people help you. Maybe you can find your own Doctor Khunnie." Jay smiled at his doctor.

Nichkhun nodded "One of my medical school colleagues works with a rehab clinic in South Padre Island, in Texas. I'll give him a call and see if I can pull some strings."

"Texas?" Jea looked ready to fight, but all of a sudden relaxed, the fight seeming to pass right out of her "Well, it's on an island, guess it can't be too bad, right?"

"That's the best decision you could have made." Nichkhun shook hands with Chansung and gave Junho and Jay a quick squeeze "I'll be in touch."

"We can't thank you enough, Nichkhun." Junho was going to miss the doctor. He'd briefly considered introducing the man to Minjun, but it was painfully obvious he was still stuck on his ex, Ok Taecyeon. Maybe Nichkhun and Ewon would hit it off?

"Wait until you get my bill!" Nichkhun laughed and headed out of the courtroom.

"I should get going too. There are a lot of things I need to get in order before I leave." Jea lifted a hand to Jay's face "I'm sorry I let you down. I'll try to do better."

"No you won't." Jay reached out to Jea.

Junho let him go, reluctantly. He didn't want the little boy out of his arms, but this was probably the last time he'd see his mother. It didn't cross his mind to reprimand Jay for the way he spoke to his mother. Junho figured he deserved a little leeway after the way he'd been treated.

"You will do better, Mommy." Jay said as if his word alone decided the matter "I'll draw you pictures while you're gone."

"Maybe we can write letters too, huh?" Junho smiled at Jay.

Jay nodded and reached out for Narsha, who scooped the little boy out of his mother's arms "Good luck, Jea. We're all rooting for you to get better." Without waiting for an answer, Narsha headed off with Jay.

"I'm sorry for the way I treated you both." the look in Jea's eyes was sincere, if embarrassed. "Jongkook used to rant and rave about how much he hated gay men and I guess I let his attitude influence mine. I know you were never happy with me, Chansung, but I hope you'll find happiness with Junho. All Jay does is talk about him, so he must be a good man."

Junho looked up at Chansung, curious to know how he would react to Jea's words. 

"He's the best man. Apology accepted, now go get better."

Chansung turned toward Junho as Jea walked away.

This was it. What Chansung said next was going to be the biggest moment of his life.

"Thank you so much for all you did to help Jay through this, Junho. I'll never be able to thank you enough for all you've done for my son." Chansung twisted his hands together nervously.

It wasn't exactly the declaration of undying love Junho was hoping for, but on the other hand Chansung wasn't telling him to off either "You're welcome. I love Jay so much and wanted to be there for him any way I could."

Nodding, Chansung took a deep breath "I've been such a wreck since this whole thing started. I was fighting mad one minute and crying my heart out the next and my feelings for you got tangled up in the middle of it all."

Junho knew exactly where Chansung was heading with this train of thought. He was going to say he needed some time to get his head screwed on right and that he wanted to spend as much time with his son as possible. Not that Junho would begrudge that to Chansung, but he also knew that he wasn't going to be invited to be a part of Chansung's healing process. Feeling numb down to his toes, all Junho could do was manage a brief nod. 

"I was an absolute , taking all of my anger at myself out on you." Chansung shook his head "You didn't deserve to be treated like that, Junho. I'm sorry I hurt you."

Junho opened his mouth to tell Chansung it was okay, but his lover didn't give him a chance to say those words.

"Come over tonight, Junho. We can start Friday night over again and order out from Italiano's and then watch the dragon movie. Then we can read books and put Jay to bed. Once he's asleep we could open a bottle of wine and talk about us. What do you say?"

What did he say? His own brain was spinning. After all the emotion of the last few days, maybe he needed more time to figure this all out.

 

svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg

 

Chansung

Chansung swore he felt his heart stop beating. What the hell would he do if Junho walked away from him?

Junho shook his head "Are you sure this is what you want, Chansung? I mean our whole relationship happened while you were fighting for custody of Jay."

He had to admit Junho had a point "You're right and what I've seen in that time is that you're a fighter, Junho. You fought for our relationship, but more importantly, you fought for Jay. The hard times are all behind us now with the judge giving me full custody." 

Putting a hand over his heart, Junho nodded "No one will ever hurt him again. God, Chansung, all those nights I laid in your old bed praying that I was strong enough to protect that little boy. I didn't think I could do it."

"You were more than strong enough and you stood up for me when it mattered most. What you said to the judge today about me being the most dedicated father you've known took my breath away, Junho. Can you forgive me for accusing you of being a traitor?" Chansung reached out to Junho. His fingers shook with nerves before he set them against Junho's cheek.

Sighing, Junho turned his face into Chansung's gentle touch "There's nothing to forgive. I know you were mad and hurting."

"I lashed out at the man that I loved because I didn't have anyone else to blame but myself. You might forgive me, but it's going to take a while before I can forgive myself."

"Don't be so hard on yourself. Did you see all of the people here to support you today? Minjun wasn't just here for my sake today. He was here to support you and Jay. Same with Doctor Horvejkul. I don't know him very well, but he's been a rock through this whole thing, showing up at your parents' house this morning to see how Jay was doing."

Chansung didn't know the pediatrician beyond their interactions in Nichkhun's office. He'd always made the right decisions concerning Jay's care and that was all that mattered to him. Seeing Nichkhun here today had been a surprise, although after what he'd done for Jay at the hospital, it shouldn't have been "He's a good man."

Junho nodded "I'm thinking of setting him up with Ewon. I bet the two of them would get along like a house on fire."

Chansung burst out laughing "Look at you playing matchmaker."

Junho shrugged "I guess when you're in love you want everyone around you to feel that kind of happiness too."

"So you're saying you're still in love with me?" Chansung couldn't help smirking. He knew damned well Junho loved him. What he needed to do now was remind him how good they could be together.

Junho shook his head, setting a hand on Chansung's hip "What do you think?"

"You were the one who said that your love was stronger than my anger. I'm not so sure that's the case..." Chansung trailed off, hoping he'd get the right reaction out of Junho.

"I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my entire life. I took three days out of work to live with your parents and your son and you're standing here telling me that you're not sure my love for you is strong enough to..." 

Chansung didn't let Junho finish his offended little tirade. He leaned forward and kissed his outraged lover. The moment their lips met, that old fire lit deep in his gut. His entire body tingled with Junho's kiss.

Sighing, Junho wrapped his arms around Chansung's hips and pulled them as close together as they could get.

He was more convinced now than ever before that in Junho's arms was where he was truly meant to be "Come to dinner, Junho. Jay needs you."

"Just Jay?" Junho wore a hopeful grin.

"I need you. I guess I didn't realize how much until you were gone. Being alone these last few nights reminded me what my life was like before we met. I knocked around that empty apartment not knowing what to do with myself. I don't ever want to feel that alone again. I don't want you to feel like that again either. Please, Junho?" Chansung held his breath.

"Of course I'll come to dinner, you silly, crazy man." Junho burst out laughing.

"I love you so much, Lee Junho."

"I love you too, Hwang Chansung."

"You have my permission to spank me if I ever act like this again." 

Junho laughed "I'll hold you to that." he brushed his lips against Chansung's, holding on for dear life.

"They're kissing, Grams!" Jay shouted from the courtroom door.

Taking Junho's hand, Chansung ran toward their little spy.