Chapter 23

Reading Writing Romance

Ewon

The three weeks until Wooyoung's adoption hearing warped by at the speed of light. Ewon had spent that time running around getting Wooyoung evaluated and getting his physical. There had been gads of paperwork to fill out for switching him to a new doctor and there had been tears, on Wooyoung's part and his own.

Wooyoung only wanted Daddy Khun to be his doctor. The six-year-old didn't understand why his daddy couldn't be his doctor and hadn't been very cooperative during his physical.

The appointment with their therapist had gone a lot smoother. Wooyoung was at his happiest when he got to talk about himself and boy did he talk to Doctor Choi. He'd told the doctor about his time with Aunt Rania and what it was like to live with Ewon and Nichkhun.

He hadn't bothered fighting the tears when he'd heard Wooyoung talk about how he and Nichkhun were the best Daddies in the world. According to Wooyoung, he'd never been happier in his life than he was with them.

The questions got a bit harder when Doctor Choi asked about Wooyoung's wanting to be a girl. Wooyoung had explained it the best he could, in his six-year-old way, repeating that God made a mistake by giving him a . 

Ewon had his own tough questions to answer about how he and Nichkhun planned on dealing with a child who had this kind of special issue.

The doctor was going to send his report on the session to Judge Kwon who would be in charge of deciding if Wooyoung would be their child permanently.  The judge could be one point in their favor as he was the one who presided over Jay's custody hearing last year.

Ewon was exhausted from all the running around and dealing with Wooyoung's moods over being disrupted from their usual routines. He knew it wasn't going to take much for him to be at his breaking point. Wooyoung either, for that matter.

"It's going to be fine, babe." Nichkhun said from behind him.

Ewon turned from the courthouse window. It was pouring outside, with the occasional bolt of lightning flashing through the sky "Every nerve in my body is on edge, Khun. After this is over I'm gonna need a massage and a beer. Several of them."

"I feel the same way. My stomach is tossing like a toy boat in a hurricane."

Ewon looked over at Wooyoung who was sitting with Gain and Jay on a bench outside the closed courtroom doors. All of their friends had turned out in force today. Ewon was so grateful for all of their support. 

"Sorry for the delay." Jongup's girlfriend Jennie said from behind Nichkhun "The judge asked for some extra time to go over Wooyoung's case."

"Oh, Jesus Christ." Ewon whispered. That definitely did not sound good.

"Don't panic, Ewon." Jennie said softly "There is a lot to this case with Wooyoung's health concerns and his gender identity. If the judge is asking for more time, it's because he wants to make sure he has all of the facts before him."

"Didn't know you'd left the ranks of the prosecutor's office." Nichkhun offered her a smile.

"I've been added as special counsel on this case, since its Family Court. I see how much you both love Wooyoung. I don't get many opportunities to see a happy family walk out of a courthouse. I wanted to be here for that today in an official capacity in case Jongup needs me."

"I'll always need you, sugar plum." Jongup was all smiles "The judge is ready to see us now."

"Jesus, Jongup. Is everything okay?" Ewon could feel the panic starting to close in around him.

"Just try to relax, Ewon. I know it's not easy, but this isn't my first rodeo." Jongup set a calming hand on his shoulder. 

Wooyoung whinnied like a horse from behind them "It's not my first Pretty Pony rodeo either."

Ewon burst out laughing. His son was truly one-of-a-kind. The judge had to see that he and Nichkhun were the best parents for Wooyoung, he just had to.

 

svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg  svgimg0001.svg

 

Nichkhun

Nichkhun was doing a better job of hiding how nervous and scared he was. He had a rough idea of the kinds of questions the judge could ask and had rehearsed in his mind how he would answer them when the time came.

He could see how hard this morning was on Ewon. His husband was pale and jittery. He was like a hummingbird, unable to sit still in one place for long. Ewon reminded him of the first graders his husband taught. He was sure Ewon would find that hilarious later, when Wooyoung was legally their child.

"Jung-Horvejkul?" a loud voice bellowed into the hallway.

"That's us." Nichkhun linked hands with his husband and leaned close "This is going to be the best moment of our lives."

Ewon nodded, plastering a shaky smile on his face "One of the many best moments."

That's exactly what Nichkhun needed to hear. He knew Ewon was in a good place if he could find it in him to look toward their future. 

They took Wooyoung's hands and led him into the courtroom. They sat in the front row with their friends behind them. Jay and Gain wouldn't let the seating arrangement stand. They ran around the benches so they could sit with and support Wooyoung.

"I didn't realize you were adopting three children Doctor Horvejkul and Mr. Jung." Judge Kwon said with a grin.

Nichkhun found a nervous smile "We're not, your Honor. These are our friends' children."

"I remember you, Judge Kwon! You let me live with my Daddies." Jay was all smiles.

"It's good to see you, Jay. Are you still watching Judge Judy with your Grams?"

Jay nodded enthusiastically "So are Gainoo and Woo. Woo especially loves Judge Judy. Right Woo?"

Wooyoung nodded shyly.

"You're a much better judge than Judge Judy!" Jay beamed at him with a toothy smile.

Nichkhun snorted and leaned toward Ewon "Jay's buttering up the judge."

"Are you Wooyoung's friend, Jay?" 

"He's my bestest friend, Judge Kwon. He was shy at first when he came to our family, but now he's bloomed liked my Daddy's roses."

"I thought I was your bestest friend, Jay!" Gain folded her arms over her chest.

Christ, that was all they needed at this point was the kids fighting in court. Nichkhun scrubbed his hands over his face.

Jay rolled his eyes in a perfect imitation of Chansung "You're both my bestest friends, but you have a home with your Daddies. I want the judge to let us adopt Woo so he can be a part of our family forever."

"Thank you for your heartfelt plea, Jay." the judge surveyed everyone else "Seems like you've turned your friends into your family, Doctor Horvejkul."

"We have, your Honor. Wooyoung would have plenty of crazy uncles, cousins and grandparents to love him if you allow my husband and me to adopt him." Nichkhun could feel the adrenaline pounding through his body.

The judge nodded "What's this I hear about a quickie wedding?"

Nichkhun shot Jongup an icy look "It's true that I married my husband on the outset thinking it would give us a better chance of adopting Wooyoung, but over time, Ewon and I realized how much we love each other. Our love for Wooyoung was the constant that brought us together." 

The judge raised an eyebrow "What do you have to say about this wedding, Mr. Jung?"

Nichkhun turned to Ewon who looked like he was going to faint "I've known Nichkhun since last year when he stood before this court during Jay's custody hearing. I knew then what an upstanding member of our community he was, but it wasn't until I got to know him over the last ten months that I realized what a good man and good friend he was too. There are no better parents on the earth to raise Wooyoung."

"You were willing to marry a man you weren't in love with at the time in order to adopt Wooyoung?" the judge sounded curious.

Ewon nodded "Yes, sir. We both understand the unique challenges Wooyoung faces with the circumstances of his birth and his being a transgender child. Nichkhun knew that alone we would each be good fathers to Wooyoung, but together we knew we could give Wooyoung so much more."

Nichkhun squeezed his hand in support. Ewon was holding his own with the judge.

Flipping through papers in front of him, the judge paused to look back up at them "I've seen the pictures and videos your family submitted on your behalf."

Ewon gasped and turned around to look at everyone sitting behind them. There were big smiles and thumbs up all around. 

"As to the issue of Wooyoung's Gender Dysphoria, I've gone over the plan you've presented before me."

Ewon squeezed Nichkhun's hand so hard he almost cried out.

"You've seen the best pediatrician in the area, aside from yourself, Doctor Horvejkul. I agree with the treatment plan you and Mr. Jung have put in place for Wooyoung. It's reassuring to know you've both done your homework in regard to the kind of care Wooyoung will require going forward. I can't promise the road ahead will be easy for any of you, but at least you'll be traveling it together as a family."

Nichkhun and Ewon exchanged a confused look, their mouths hanging open. Nichkhun couldn't believe his ears. Did the judge just agree to their adoption petition? "As a family?" Nichkhun felt tears pricking his eyes and was too happy to try to hold them back.

The judge burst out laughing "Congratulations, Wooyoung! I'm granting Doctor Horvejkul and Mr. Jung's petition to adopt you."

"Do I get to go home with my Daddies, judge?" Wooyoung asked.

"Yes you do, Wooyoung and I'm also granting the name-change petition for you and Ewon. You're both Horvejkuls now."

"You're my forever Daddies!" Wooyoung shouted before he jumped into Nichkhun's arms "I always knew you'd be my Daddy." 

"I always knew you'd be my son." Nichkhun whispered. He reached out for Ewon so that his husband could get in on the hugging.

"We're a family." Ewon said, sliding his arms around his husband.

"Nothing can ever tear us apart." Nichkhun offered Ewon a watery smile to go along with his vow.