5. The Truth Untold

Through Drought and Famine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    Jisoo smears the foggy mirror to reveal her own face. It’s awfully pale with her bloodshot eyes puffing out from crying. Her wet hair begins to drip onto Taehyung’s white t-shirt. She brings a towel to her hair and softly dries the remaining wet hair.

After crying to Taehyung, Jisoo told him that she needed a place to crash since her house is currently a crime scene. He understood and said that she could stay with him until she is clear to go back home. However, Jisoo is never going to step back into that house. Now she’s standing in his bathroom with his sweatpants and shirt on. Overall, it’s baggy but she pulls the drawstring until the pants fit nicely at her hips.

Opening the bathroom door, Jisoo walks to the foot of Taehyung’s bed. She looks behind her back to see him preparing to sleep on his couch. He has multiple rooms in his condo, but he only has one bed. Feeling guilty, Jisoo rushes to him and grabs the blanket out of his hands.

“I’ll sleep on the couch,” Jisoo says.

Taehyung furrows his eyebrows. “How can I possibly make my guest sleep on the couch? You’re sleeping on my bed.” He pulls the blanket back into his chest.

“B-But you have a California King.” Jisoo looks back at his bed.

“Are you suggesting that we sleep together?”

Jisoo shrugs. “It’s big enough for the both of us.”

“Do you want to get in bed with me that badly, Jisoo?”

Jisoo breaks their eye contact from hearing his words. A pink hue places itself onto her cheeks. She shakes her head before grabbing the blanket out of Taehyung’s hands. She can feel his smirk on her. Taehyung grabs onto her wrist and walks both of them to the bedroom. He turns off the lights as he walks into the room. Then he places her on the bed and goes to the other side, laying down. She watches him as he closes his eyes.

“Are you not going to sleep?” Taehyung asks.

Jisoo doesn’t say anything. She lays down on the bed, facing opposite from him. Pulling the blanket over herself, Jisoo closes her eyes. She feels a chill run past her body. Tears soon stain the pillow and sniffles are heard. So much is going on at the moment that Jisoo doesn’t know what to do with her life.

Taehyung places his hand onto Jisoo’s shoulder. She quickly wipes her tears away and turns to face him. He closes the space between them and wraps his arms around her. He’s holds onto her as she buries herself in his chest. His large hand her hair.

“What am I going to do?” Jisoo mutters.

“Don’t worry about that right now,” Taehyung tells her. “Just sleep and you can think later.” When he hears her steady breathing replace her sobs, he lets go of her and slowly rises from his bed. He walks to the dark living room and brings his phone to his ear.

“How did it go?” Yoongi asks from the other line.

Taehyung stays silent. “I didn’t do it.”

“What you mean you didn’t do it?” The older male questions. “Taehyung do you know how hard this whole mission has been? If Woojin walks in tomorrow and she’s still alive, then we’re all dead.” Taehyung stiffens at the statement. He knows what Woojin is capable of.

When Taehyung was twelve, his parents died in a car crash while on their way home. Ever since the death of his parents, Taehyung was raised by his uncle. Taehyung went through rigorous mental and physical trials and test just to be accepted into his uncle’s gang. Woojin trained Taehyung to be a soulless monster who would one day rule the underworld of South Korea.

He sighs, “Just tell him that I did the job.”

“Yeah, whatever.”

“Bye,” Taehyung mumbles.

“Wait!” Yoongi shouts. When he hears that the call is still ongoing he asks, “Why didn’t you kill her?”

“I have my reasons,” Taehyung replies. He quickly ends the call before Yoongi could say anything else. He looks back at his bedroom and heaves out a sigh.

 

    The aroma of eggs fill the air. Soon the light rays beaming through the window wakes up Jisoo as she rubs her eyes. She flips over to see Taehyung sleeping next to her. His arm in comfortably hanging over her body. She blushes at the position they’re in. She takes in his features at a closer angle. She never noticed how long his eyelashes were and the cute freckle on his nose. The aroma of bacon distracts her from her thoughts.

If Taehyung is here, then who’s cooking? Jisoo asks herself.

Jisoo slowly grabs onto Taehyung’s wrist. His body is warm as she slides his arm off of her. She places his hand next to him and rolls out of his bed. She repositions the blanket onto his body. Trying not to be loud, Jisoo opens his bedroom door and is met by the view of a familiar girl.

Closing the door, the girl turns around to see Jisoo. The smile on her face begins to fade as she was expecting someone else to come out of the bedroom. She could’ve sworn that Jisoo was supposed to be dead. She eyes Jisoo up and down to see her in Taehyung’s clothes. She feels a little pang in her heart. He had never let her wear his clothes after the nights they spent together. But there Jisoo is, in his clothes.

“H-Hi,” Jisoo says. She walks over to the girl. “I’ve never properly introduced myself to you. I’m Jisoo.” She brings her hand out to the girl.

“I think everyone in the country knows who you are. I’m Irene,” she smiles, returning the handshake. Letting go of Jisoo’s hand, Irene walks back to the sizzling bacon. “I usually make breakfast for Taehyung whenever I have the chance because he skips meals quite often.”

Jisoo walks over to sit down on a chair near the island. Might as well live here if you’re going to be here everyday, Jisoo thinks to herself. “That’s nice of you.”

Irene chuckles, “It’s not like I have anything better to do.”

Jisoo mirrors her smile. Silence fills the room with an awkward atmosphere. Jisoo can hear the t.v.  She stiffens are the report. “President Kim Minseo was found dead in his house early this morning. His daughter, Jisoo, found him after his par-.” The news anchors words are cut off. Jisoo turns around to see Taehyung with the remote in his hand. The t.v. is left with a black screen.

“Hi Tae,” Irene says, smiling.

Tae? Jisoo scoffs to herself.

“Goodmorning,” Irene says as she pulls out a seat for Taehyung. “How was your night?”

Taehyung looks over at Jisoo as he sits down. “Comfortable.” Irene lets out a low gasp. On most nights, Taehyung found it hard to sleep. “Aren’t you two going to eat?”

Irene quickly sits next to Taehyung, and Jisoo sits on the opposite side of her. They all began to eat.

Munching on food while looking at Taehyung, Irene says, “Woojin wants to see you.” He stops his movements with his jaw flexed.

“And he couldn’t tell me himself?” Taehyung asks. Irene shrugs. Jisoo sits awkwardly as she listens to them talk about whoever Woojin is. “We can go after breakfast.” Irene nods as she returns to her food.

“W-What about me?” Jisoo stutters.

He rests his head in his hand as he holds eye contact with the girl. “It’s not safe for you to go out, so you can do whatever you want in the safety of this place.” Jisoo nods as she stuffs scrambled eggs into .

Irene watches the affection Taehyung showers Jisoo with. She clears . It didn’t take an idiot to figure out why Jisoo is still alive. Taehyung obviously has something going on with her. If Irene was in Jisoo’s place, she would have been dead in the hands of the ruthless man.

Breakfast continued on with small talk to break the awkwardness. As Irene and Jisoo both washed the dishes, Taehyung got ready in order to go meet Woojin. Sitting on the couch, flipping through channels, Jisoo watches as Taehyung talks to Irene near the door. She leaves first and he motions for Jisoo to go over to him.

When Jisoo is standing in front of Taehyung, he tells her, “Don’t open the door for anybody and keep your phone by you in case anything happens.”

“Ok,” she tells him with a nod.

Taehyung taps her nose as he smiles. “Also,” he says looking off to the house. He points as he tells her, “don’t go into the room.” Jisoo turns to look at the room he is pointing at. It’s the room beside his bedroom. Jisoo nods. “I’ll be back soon.”

Jisoo watches as he leaves before returning back to the couch. Just how soon will be back? She asks herself. After thirty minutes of surfing through channels, Jisoo throws the remote control onto the coffee table. She walks around his house. The interior design is much like her old condo except everything is mirrored. The room Taehyung told Jisoo not to go into is a relatively small room as she remembers. She kept it as an extra closet when she was still living next door.

Curiosity killed the cat.

Jisoo lingers in front of the door. She lightly pushes the door open to see a typical office styled room. Bookshelves take over an entire wall with dust collecting onto the books. Meanwhile, a nice desk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter