3. Melting

Through Drought and Famine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    They all have a panicked look in their eyes, wondering who had intruded. The sharp sound piercing their body as they fall to the ground occurs quickly with little time to escape the warehouse. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Just like that they were all gone. Five lifeless bodies covered in their own blood.

His footsteps near her, each step feeling like an earthquake. He tucks his gun nicely back into his waistband as he pulls out a pocket knife from his sleeve. She glances at the sharp object and cries from fear. That object would soon be in her.

V is going to kill her.

She slowly raises her head to see his eyes looking back at her. They’re brown and filled with void. He takes the knife and quickly pierces it into her chest, heart.

Jisoo wakes up with a scream. The maids on the second level of the house come running into her room. Many of them ask her to calm down.

“Miss Jisoo are you alright?” An older maid asks. Jisoo’s breathing begins to calm at the sight of everyone around her. She nods with a tear flowing down her left cheek. The maid holds Jisoo in her embrace. “You love green tea, right? How about some green tea in the garden after you shower?” Jisoo nods. The maid glances at the other maids and signals them to go and prepare green tea.

Pulling back from the hug, Jisoo says. “I’m sorry for worrying everyone.”

“Don’t be sweetie. You went through something horrible.” She tucks Jisoo’s hair behind her ear. “I’ll be downstairs, ok?”

“Ok,” Jisoo mumbles. As the maid leaves the room, Jisoo lays back on her bed. Since the kidnapping, Jisoo has been living with her father again. Being alone scared her. She didn’t want to be alone anywhere.

Sighing, Jisoo grabs her remote controller from her nightstand and turns on the t.v. as she gets up and walks to her bathroom. The cold water splashes her face and awakes her. She brushes her teeth and walks out to watch the news.

“Kim Minseo, our elected president, is currently meeting with Park Wooyoung,” the news anchor reports. Her father’s inauguration is taking place soon. Unfortunately, Jisoo hasn’t been outside her house in two months.

Jisoo turns off her t.v. and heads back to her bathroom. Quickly brushing her hair and throwing on clothes, she heads downstairs. She walks through the house in order to head to the garden for tea. As Jisoo walks through the kitchen, she witness a note from her peripheral vision. She walks over to the kitchen counter and picks it up. It has her name written in her father’s handwriting. She curiously opens it and reads:

        In order to protect you, I have decided to hire a bodyguard for your safety. You can expect him in the noon.

            Love, Dad.

Jisoo was expecting this, a bodyguard. Her father has asked her about it before and she agreed. Jisoo checks her watch to see that it’s already 30 minutes before noon. She closes the note and heads outside to the garden. There she is greeted by several maids. Her favorite maid, Ms. Jeon, walks up to her.

“Miss Jisoo, your tea awaits for you under the porch,” Ms. Jeon says. Jisoo gives her a soft smile before walking to the porch.

Ms. Jeon was a maid for the Kim family ever since Jisoo was two years old. When Jisoo’s mother passed away, Ms. Jeon was her mother figure in life. She always made sure that Jisoo was fine and even kept touch with her while she was in the states. Ms. Jeon has a son, but she told Jisoo that he is always traveling due to his profession so she decided to continue working for the Kims because she doesn’t want to just sit at home. So, Jisoo is like her child during the day.

Jisoo sips on her warm green tea. She watches as the sun’s rays light on the many flowers in the garden. Everything is calming her at the moment. From the nice weather, beautiful view to the birds that awaken everyone with their singing.

Inside the house, Ms. Jeon is greeted by a new face. His face different from most due to his glowing beauty. His eyes glisten with his smile. He is taller than the old maid and brings his hands out to greet her own.

“Hello, I’m here for Miss Jisoo,” he says. His tone of voice makes Ms. Jeon giddy with joy.

“She’s in the backyard,” she tells him.

“Thank you,” he replies. “And you are?”

She blushes at his question, “Ms. Jeon.”

“It’s nice to meet you Ms. Jeon. I’m Taehyung.”

 

    No one is in the garden, so Jisoo can hear footsteps approaching her. She stares at her empty mug and rests her head on her hand. “Ms. Jeon, do you mind if I go pick some flowers? I know you don’t want me to ruin anything, but I think they’ll look really pretty on my window sill.” She sighs because she doesn’t get a reply. As the footsteps stop, Jisoo can feel Ms. Jeon’s presence behind her. However, behind Jisoo stands her bodyguard. He stays silent in hopes to not startle her. Mr. Kim had told him that she hadn’t interacted with anyone who doesn’t live or work in the house. “I’m gonna go pick them,” Jisoo says as she stands up.

She walks over to a bush of roses and can hear footsteps following her. She tugs at a red rose and it comes out easily. Jisoo smiles as she smells the rose. “This one is for you Ms. Jeon,” Jisoo says as she turns around. The rose in her hand is stretching out. When she sees a gray button up shirt, her heart begins to race. She begins to back up from the body, the rose in her hand shaking. Her eyes make their way to his exposed neck and then to his face. He is softly smiling back at her.

Taehyung.

The rose falls out of Jisoo’s grip. Taehyung walks over to the rose and picks it up. He takes Jisoo’s hand and envelopes it into her hand. “Hello Miss Jisoo. From now on, I am your bodyguard, Taehyung. I will keep you safe, so you can trust me from now on.” His face is the same as Jisoo remembered. The same handsome features that caught her breathe. She feels embarrassed under his eyes. He must know that she’s not the same person that he met last time.

Taehyung only stares back at her blank expression as she walks away from him. He quickly follows her and says, “I have a lot planned for you today Miss Jisoo.”

“Don’t call me that,” she says as she drops the rose and enters the house. He frowns and picks up the flower. As he enter the house he is met by a younger maid.

“May you put this rose in a glass and set it on Miss Jisoo’s window sill?” Taehyung asks. The maid smiles and nods. He mumbles her a ‘thank you’ and quickly follows Jisoo. “Jisoo!”

She stops her tracks and he smiles. Her back faces him while he walks to her. Taehyung faces her again and asks her, “Aren’t you tired of being cooped up in this house everyday? Don’t you want to go outside and explore what you missed in the past two months?”

“I can see what I missed through pictures.”

“But that’s boring.”    

“I don’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter