Chapter 8

Hey ! I'm Hana.

The demo got approved the Monday after. Hana had been looking forward to that as it meant that the real work was just about to start. She had to team up with Hoshi, Dino, Minghao, and Jun to create a unique choreography. Hana had an appointment with Pledis' CEO and creative team to pitch her idea to film the MV in Switzerland. had expressed his concern and offered his support. They had planned to see each other to prepare a persuasive presentation, including a precise budget and offers from filming companies and photographers. Hana had shared her intention to reach out to the Alumni network of her father to get convincing deals. As was the member who knew their CEO the best, he was in charge of writing the presentation for Hana. As they were put under time pressure by the company, they had scheduled to work on it directly after their training for the rest of the week. On Monday, Hana used the time zone difference to contact all suppliers in charge of the artistic sides of the trip while called airline companies. Hana was grateful to him for his support. He was the one to know at best what kind of staff would be needed on the spot and how many would accompany them from Korea.

The members were still confused by Vernon's confession. They had tried to dissuade Vernon by challenging him that it might only be a crush. It wasn't. Vernon was more determined than ever to make everything out of his feelings. "You know that feeling that tells you now or never." The guys knew that Vernon wasn't the type of person to give away his heart easily. Once he had decided something by himself, it was because he meant it from the bottom of his heart.

"You know that it's dangerous for you, for us, and for her, don't you?" had inquired.

"I'm perfectly aware of that," Vernon had replied with a serious tone. "I will not let it harm Seventeen in any way, I promise. Let's see, first, what she is going to say about my feelings."

Hoshi had wondered, "Am I the only one wanting to protect her from that?"

"I agree," Jun had added while Joshua nodded fervently.

Mingyu had ended the conversation by saying, "If she does not want you, Vernon, could I take a chance?"

As a reply, Vernon had thrown a pillow at Mingyu who had laughed genuinely, "Just kidding lover boy."

Vernon was well aware of the possible consequences his growing feelings for Hana could have. However, he wanted to follow the inner voice telling him, "Boy, it's now or never." Moreover, it was the first time he felt his heart fluttering at a person's every expression and action.

The first time he had felt all fizzy inside had been the day he had joined Hana in her YouTube discoveries. He had been so surprised on how expressive she was when watching videos. He had suggested her to put on their immortal song performances. There hadn't even been a second he hadn't been looking at her getting all excited about Joshua's look and Dokyeom's voice, complaining about his blond hair color, telling him how they were all such 'badass' performers and entertainers, being upset about Mingyu's absence and fascinated by Vernon's y glance.

"Who do you want to kill with that look of yours?" she had asked him replicating his attractive expression.

Vernon hadn't even had the chance to reply. Hana had put back on the songs and had started dancing in the living room. Hana was always cheerful and sincere in her actions and words: doing things that made her happy at any times. To some people, Hana would probably seem excessive or naive. However, she was the exact opposite: a down to earth person trying to take the most out of life.

"Come on, Vernon," Hana had declared laughing. "What are you waiting for?"

'Crazy,' one might tell. To Vernon, she was just undeniably attractive.

The members had agreed to wait to see how Vernon's situation was going to evolve before making any decisions as a group. Luckily for Vernon, no member was strictly against the possibility of him dating Hana. Seungkwan had declared, critical, "I think it would even help him mature a bit." Hana being busy every evening getting ready for her pitch, Vernon hadn't found the opportunity to express his feelings. He wasn't sure to have the courage. Hence, he wanted to wait for a moment when he will be confident enough to open his heart to Hana.

A few training sessions were still scheduled for the week. However, a three weeks break was planned afterward for Hana to work exclusively with the performance team on a choreography. The days flew by, and Friday came sooner than Hana had expected. She went with to their CEO's office. Hana was afraid of the presentation, but she was confident in the content. She and had done such precise research, and their offer was almost completed. Hana had promised to treat him for lunch after the pitch to thank him for his support. Both went out of the room with a smile on their face. The idea had been accepted, and a team had been assigned to work further on the planning of the project.

"Thank you so much Coups," Hana declared. "I wasn't sure if they would accept the five days holiday part, but I'm so happy they did. I'm going to make sure you guys will have some good memories."

"We are grateful to you, Hana, for doing so much for all of us."

"I am doing less for you than you all did for me," Hana expressed blushing.

interrupted her, "Don't try to argue on what I've said. We all think so. You just need to accept it."

As the boys had to record their song the week after, Hana took some time for herself. In the morning she would enjoy a walk somewhere in Seoul where the cherry trees were already blooming. After that, she would try to work for Samantha and research job opportunities and apartments. Hana would usually meet the performance team in the late afternoon and evening to discuss the choreography. They had begun to work on a series of movements, brainstorming altogether to bring up creative ideas.

On Saturday, it was Mingyu's birthday, and Hana had suggested to buy him an instant photo printer that he could use with his camera. Everyone had approved the idea, and on top of that, they had bought together a sweatshirt where it was written in the back `Caution, I'm clumsy' and in the front in little on the chest `#clumsygyu.'

Hana had forbidden Mingyu to do any chores on that day as they were thirteen to do it in his place. They had planned to go to an escape room and VR zone center. In the morning, Hana prepared a cake for the evening with the help of Jeonghan and . Hana hid it in the fridge before leaving with the party for their activities of the day.

They had to team up in small groups for the escape game. DK, Wonwoo, Woozi, and Joshua chose the WWII escape game. Dino, Vernon, Minghao, , and Mingyu went into the Joseon mystery room while Seungkwan, Hoshi, Jeonghan, Jun, and Hana inherited the ghost room.

Hana couldn't tell who screamed the most between her and Seungkwan. What she was sure about, however, was that Jun would probably have bruises on his arms because of her continually gripping them. Hoshi and Jun were laughing most of the time while Jeonghan was trying his best to comfort the two scared to death persons by urging them to find the clues to get out of the room. When the escape game finished, Seungkwan and Hana had lost all their colors. Hana was near to the tears and Joshua took her in his arms, "I wish you would have come with us. They were so many clues in German that we would have loved you to help us. But it was still fun, don't you think?"

Hana nodded with a shy smile before glancing over at Jun, "Jun will probably have a hard time these next few days."

"Oh yes," Jun laughed while showing to the others the bruises that were already showing on his arms.

Hana decided to go back to the apartment to prepare everything for the evening celebration. To avoid spoiling the surprise, she told Mingyu that she wasn't feeling well enough to do anything linked to virtual reality.

"Do you need help, Hana?" Joshua inquired when she was dressing up to go.

"No, I think I will manage," she reassured him while gently tapping on his shoulder. "You guys have to enjoy your time out at fullest. You had quite a busy week."

Hana left them behind already planning in her mind how she wanted to set up the living room for Mingyu's birthday. When she turned left at the first junction, she heard someone in her back shouting, "Hana, wait!"

She turned around to see Vernon running towards her. He caught up with her out of breath. He bent over, his hands on his knees exhaling loudly.

"Vernon," Hana reprimanded him. "You should have stayed with the others and have fun."

"I'm fine being with you though," he declared raising his gaze to meet hers.

The gleam of determination Hana could discern behind his bangs made her instantly blush. She turned away and started walking without looking at him, "Well, let's go then."

Vernon followed her without saying a word. After a moment, Hana asked, "Do you know a good place where I could buy some balloons and decorations?"

He nodded and took her to a shop close by which was selling decorations for every kind of celebration. They selected together a 'happy birthday' banner, two balloons forming together the number 27, and some other little items. Hana was looking forward to Mingyu's reaction. He had been so excited about their day out that it was unlikely that he was suspicious of anything.

Vernon and Hana started blowing up some balloons once they arrived at the apartment. Hana took some time to prepare some appetizers. She was sure that the boys would be hungry once they came back from the VR zone. Vernon came to her, "Let me do some Algamja-jorim."

"What is that?" Hana inquired.

"You will see," Vernon answered with a smile. "Let yourself be surprised."

Hana nodded. She went into the living room to hang and arrange the birthday decorations.

"Vernon, could you tell me if this bannerette is straight?" Hana inquired while standing on the couch raising her arm as high as she could.

Vernon could not stop himself but laugh when seeing Hana stretching out the best she could.

"Don't laugh, Vernon," Hana complained. "I won't be able to stay much longer like this."

Vernon regained his composure, "A bit higher… Stop! Like that is perfectly fine."

Hana groaned while fixing the bannerette to the wall, "That was tiresome!"

She came back to the kitchen to take care of what was cooking on the hotplate. She took the pan cover with bare hands and let it go instantly, "Omo, it's hot!"

It would have fallen on Hana's bare feet if Vernon hadn't caught within a second. He groaned as the pan cover burnt his palm, letting it fall on the ground after having pushed Hana aside. He turned around to face Hana and took her hand in his, "Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?"

Hana looked at him, perplexed about him getting hurt because of her.

"Why?" she eventually asked brushing over his burnt hand.

Vernon brought Hana to the sink putting the kitchen linen under cold water. While wrapping it around Hana's hand, he articulated without looking at her, "Because I don't want the woman I love getting hurt."

Hana's eyes widened up more confused than ever, "What?"

Vernon raised his gaze to meet hers. The look he gave was so intense that it made Hana shiver.

"You heard it perfectly well, Hana… I love you."

Seconds passed and turned into minutes. They were looking in each other's eyes: one not knowing what to say, and the other waiting on a reaction.

When Hana eventually made up her mind to speak, the entrance door opened on Jeonghan and Joshua who rushed in.

"Mingyu is coming in 20 minutes," Joshua declared out of breath. "What are you doing here?"

Vernon let go of Hana's hand and informed, composed, "Hana burnt her hand while cooking. It's nothing serious though." He glanced over at Hana, "Do you think we will be ready in 20 minutes?"

Hana nodded. While getting everything on the table, Hana noticed that her heart was still pondering.

'How did that happen?' she thought. 'What will she do about that?'

Hana decided not to worry too much and take some time to think about it. She knew that Vernon would expect an answer eventually. However, Hana was unsure to be able to give him the answer he would like to have…