Chapter 3

Hey ! I'm Hana.

Everyone was sitting at the table that fitted fourteen people waiting on Hana to bring the ribeye roast.

"Who wants wine? Who wants a beer ?" Hana asked.

Only a few of them raised hands for wine. Hana put the beer bottles on the table before bringing the meat that she had cut in thin slices.

"You can start guys," she noted.

They had waited on the signal to start eating which they gladly did.

"Don't forget to enjoy," Hana added when seeing them rush onto the plates. "It is French cuisine."

Hana distributed the wine glasses to The8, Mingyu, Joshua, and herself. She then took the bottle of wine and commented in French, "Puis-je vous proposer un Bordeaux de l'année 2020 ? Ce vin rouge accompagne somptueusement le rôti de boeuf en y ajoutant une note fruitée et épicée à la fois. Je vous laisse goûter ?"

All the members had stopped eating to look at her present the bottle of wine to The8. She poured a hint of Bordeaux in a glass and offered it to him.

"That's your moment," she added with a smile.

The8 elegantly tasted the wine and announced in a clumsy French, "Excellent." Hana poured him a full glass.

"I want to have the French version as well," Mingyu begged. "It makes it feel ."

Hana rolled her eyes and continued, "Est-ce que je peux vous proposer également, mon cher Mingyu, un verre de ce Bordeaux ?"

"I don't understand a word," he admitted. "But I'll just answer oh oui !"

The entire table started laughing and clapping into their hands. Hana filled in the remaining glasses and took place at the end of the table. Hoshi who was next to her had already filled her plate. She thanked him for his consideration and started eating. She enjoyed the meat as it was tender and juicy. Everyone was silent, too busy eating.

"Can I ask how it is?" Hana wondered.

"It's something new!" Seungkwan commented.

"It's delicious," DK added.

"I love it!" Jun blurted.

"Thank you, Hana," Woozi said.

"That makes me happy," Hana grinned. "It's my grandma's recipe. She'll be happy to know that I succeeded in making it tasty."

"Is she French ?" Dino asked.

"Well," Hana started. "I'm going to tell you how international my family tree is. Let's begin on my mother's side. Her dad is Japanese. He met my grandma who is Swiss when he came to study in Switzerland. When my grandma died, my grandpa decided to go back to Japan for his retirement. So, I'm a quarter Japanese, I guess. On my father's side, my grandma is French, and my grandpa is German. My father grew up in Germany, and when he came to Switzerland to study, my grandparents decided to move to France. They have a property in the North of France; it's pretty insane! I've spent all of my summer holidays there until I moved to the US."

"Why did you move to the US?" Joshua asked.

Hana's face darkened. She sighed before announcing in one go, "Because after my dad passed away, my mum couldn't bear staying in Switzerland."

A heavy silence filled up the room. No one knew what to tell in this kind of situation. Hana lowered her head.

"My father was a talented and inspiring man… The US… That's where I met my Scottish best friend, Samantha. She is the one who made me discover kpop."

The guys raised up their chins relieved that Hana changed the subject.

"Sam is a huge BTS fan. That does not surprise anyone, does it ?"

Some of them shook their head, and others nodded.

"I have to admit that I was more into Seventeen than BTS. Your band is something else than the other kpop groups, I think. I guess I was drowned to Seventeen because you, guys, are a self-promoting group which has a lot of members. It changes from the traditional kpop 5 to 6 members band system if I can say. Back then, I thought it was refreshing."

They looked very interested in what she was saying as they stopped eating.

"I've never described myself as a fan because, well next to Samantha I'm nothing. She is just crazy about kpop. However, I've always admired your work, passion, and humility despite fame. I like almost all of your songs equally, and they supported me in my daily ups and downs back in America. After moving to Japan, unfortunately, I did not keep up with Seventeen's news, so I only know the chart songs of the past four years but nothing more. Now, I think I'll have to catch up a bit."

Mingyu turned towards the other members and declared with a half-smile, "Guys, don't you think we should do a Seventeen quiz ?"

"Yes, yes, yes," DK insisted.

"What is that ?" Hana inquired.

"You'll see," Hoshi told her. "Who wants to ask her a question ?"

"I'll start," announced. "Which unit is your favorite?"

"Hip-hop," Hana declared. "That's an easy game; I like it. Next ?"

The hip-hop unit members clapped in their hands happy with her answer. Joshua asked, "Your Seventeen biases ?"

"Mh, that's already more difficult, but I'll say DK, Wonwoo, and Mingyu."

"Mingyu was totally foreseeable," Joshua admitted with a wink.

"Your Seventeen favorite singer ?" Seungkwan wondered.

"DK," she answered sincerely.

Dokyeom made big eyes and asked, "Really ?"

Hana put a hand on her heart and affirmed, "Really, really, really."

"DK is blushing for real !" Seungkwan mentioned without consideration.

Dokyeom hid his cheeks with his hands and smiled broadly.

"You can understand guys. This is such a nice compliment. Let me ask the next question then, so that I can appreciate the moment without everyone staring at me. What is your biggest Seventeen frustration, Hana ?"

Hana took a while thinking about her answer. Her eyes sparkled, and she explained, "Do you remember the shirts you designed yourself? Well, my biggest frustration is that I couldn't get my hands on Vernon's personally designed t-shirt. The reason was that, as I could not understand Korean at the time, I did not get that they were for sale. After watching the related SVT club episode with Samantha which had finally been translated, I rushed into finding out where I could buy it. Too bad for me, I was two days late. That was the first time in my life I was so depressed because of a shirt."

"Vernon, do you still have this shirt ?" Wonwoo wondered.

Hana quickly interrupted before Vernon could answer.

"Please Vernon, do not answer this question. Otherwise, I'll be tempted to steal it from your closet."

The entire table burst into laughter. Dino exclaimed, "The image of Hana sneaking around Vernon's closet is just hilarious."

"Hey," Hana defended. "I'm not that creepy! It is just better for me not to know to avoid any temptation."

They couldn't stop themselves. DK was almost crawling on the ground, and Jun, seeking for support, had his head on Vernon's shoulder.

"Next !" Hana declared.

Woozi took the initiative and asked with a smile, "Your Seventeen favorite songs ?"

Hana thanked him by inclining her head and answered, "Fronting, Rocket and Smile Flower."

"Oh !" Woozi looked surprised. "These are not the most famous songs."

Hana took a sip of red wine and gave a shy smile, "Yeah but I like them."

"Am I the only one noticing that these songs have one thing in common," Mingyu challenged, "namely Vernon. Hana, please let me ask what your thing is about Vernon? A kind of obsession ?"

Hana laughed and hid her face in her hands.

"Absolutely not! It might be the simple fact that Vernon is the first member I've got familiar with and the one I could recognize in songs from the beginning. The only obsession that I have with Vernon is that I've always enjoyed imitating him singing. I must admit that I think I'm good at it. Wait, I'll show you."

She stood up and prepared herself, "Yeah... Just stop acting like you didn't hear me or..."

Seungkwan stood up and exclaimed loudly, "Woaaaa, that's totally him!"

Hana took her phone and skipped the song Boomboom until Vernon's part. She had always been good at imitating people: it had been her favorite hobby during her childhood.

"She even did the smile at the end," Joshua noticed. "I'm impressed, what about you Vernon ?"

Vernon was sitting on his chair eyebrows raised.

"I'm quite shocked," he confessed. "She is really good."

Hana curtsied before sitting back on her chair.

"I'm getting warmed up. Is the game already finished ?"

"I have one !" Jeonghan announced. "Your Seventeen most touching moment ?"

"This is a good one," she admitted before looking at Mingyu. "Listen well; it concerns you. I do remember a particular moment. Samantha and I had decided to have a sleepless night to follow live the Ideal Cut concert you did in Seoul. We were listening to some fan audio stream of the H Cut concert, and I felt strange when Mingyu did his solo. I do remember asking Samantha like "Who's that? It's beautiful". You know the feeling when someone does better than you expected. Well, that it is what happened. I think I'd never expected Mingyu to touch my feelings the way he did that day. That's why it was a precious moment for me that will probably stay in my mind forever."

Seungkwan put his hand on Mingyu's shoulder and joked around, "Now it's his time to blush. You're quite something, Hana!"

Hana ran her hand through her hair visibly embarrassed.

"I'm just trying to be honest with you, I guess."

"And we truly value that," confessed. "I think it is very refreshing !"

"You are easygoing," Jun stated. "That's nice because I think it puts us all at ease. We are like that to each other. It makes us feel like you're almost one of us."

"You're too kind," Hana thanked. "Do you have other questions ?"

"Which Seventeen song makes you the most emotional ?" Wonwoo wondered.

"Smile Flower definitely. This song either makes me smile or cry that varies a lot."

"In your opinion, what is the best thing that happened to Seventeen?" Vernon asked.

"Well, that Jeonghan decided to cut his hair," Hana grinned confidently.

Joshua and DK clapped in their hands while laughing.

"Excellent !" Hoshi added taping on her shoulder. "We definitely share the same humor."

Hana looked at the empty dishes on the table.

"Did you all have enough food ?" she enquired.

They nodded, and The8 declared, "It was delicious! And the wine tastes great. I hope you had enough? You could not really eat because the guys asked you so many questions."

"I've got full with vegetables. Thank you so much for asking. I have a German Dornfelder left if you want another glass of wine."

"I won't say no," The8 smiled.

Hana gladly stood up to serve The8 with another glass of wine. She started then to collect the plates before Mingyu interrupted her.

"No, Hana. You already cooked. Let us do that. Maybe someone could show her around while I find a volunteer to help me tidy up the kitchen. Vernon, you already helped, are you up to make an apartment tour ?"

Vernon stood up followed by DK who apparently wanted to avoid the household chores.

"Let's begin upstairs," DK suggested.

Vernon nodded and showed the way to Hana. After a few seconds, Hana could already tell that the space was thoughtfully organized. The kitchen and the living room gave access to two corridors: the one leading to the entrance and the other to the rooms. By following the second corridor, there were, on the left, three bathrooms and, on the right, two bedrooms. At the end of the hallway, there was the last bedroom. After the first bathroom, there was a space with circular stairs to access the second floor of the apartment. It made Hana think of a typical set up of a loft. She was amazed. They started the tour in Jun's, Dino's, DK's and Jeonghan's bedroom. Again space was well organized. Half stairs gave access to two upper beds arranged horizontally. Below them, there were two beds placed vertically. Hana could not define them as ordinary bunk beds, but the cleverness of the design surprised her.

"As we have the smallest room," DK explained proudly opening a door. "We have the privilege to have a dressing room. Cool, isn't it ?"

Hana quickly looked into their dressing room. The only thing she could see were clothes, clothes, and clothes again. However, she noticed that they tried hard to keep it well organized.

"I like it."

DK smiled broadly before pursuing, "And next to it we have our toilets which are separated from the bathroom that has two showers. Look."

Hana quickly checked the spaces. However, her favorite part was still the unusual bunk beds. Vernon took the lead and showed her the room he shared with Joshua.

"Wow," Hana exclaimed. "It looks like a real American college room."

On the wall between their beds, they had a whiteboard showing their monthly schedules. Above, hats were hanging carefully sorted out by colors. Next, to the door, they had placed a reading corner which gave a cozy atmosphere to the room. A back door was connecting the bedroom to a private bathroom. Hana was staring at the two wooden beds.

"Do you like it ?" Vernon asked while entering into her field of vision.

Hana realized that she had been stuck staring out into the distance for some time and answered, "I love this room. It almost feels like home and the beds seem extremely comfortable."

"Please," Vernon offered, showing her apparently what was his bed.

"Really ?" she asked surprised.

"Go on!" Vernon laughed. "It's a real dream."

She glanced at DK to get some kind of approval.

"What Vernon is saying is true. He personally chose the mattresses with Joshua."

"Like a real couple," Hana added with a half smile.

Vernon gave her a pissed look and complained, "Could you just stop with these allusions? It sincerely makes me feel less of a man."

DK burst into laughter while Hana, happily ignoring Vernon, let herself fall on the bed.

"Oh !" she whined. "It is a real dream ! I'm up since 4 a.m.; I think you cannot imagine how much I'm enjoying it right now."

She rolled to the side and brought her knees to the chest. The guys were looking at her with a satisfied smile.

"Can I just stay here until tomorrow ?" Hana chuckled.

Vernon who was feeling the time to seek revenge had come left an eyebrow and suggested, "If you wanna share the bed you can stay."

Hana's eyes widened.

"Share? No way! You can have my bed."

"Ah, unfortunately, I'm not giving up my bed that easily."

"Sheesh," Hana grumbled while standing up. "Maybe at some point, you'll change your mind."

"And I would not let you sleep in the same room as loverboy Joshua," Vernon declared proudly. "I'm a gentleman, you see."

DK intervened, thoughtful, "You wouldn't let her sleep in the same room as Joshua, but you just offered to share the bed. I don't know who the loverboy is here."

Hana laughed and gave DK a high five. Vernon's face crumbled as he lowered his head.

"True… don't you want to go on with the tour ?" he quickly said before leaving the bedroom.

Hana and DK exchanged a smile both happy to have given Vernon some discomfort. They went back downstairs and visited Wonwoo's and ' bedroom. In one corner, there was a single bed and next to the door on the left a bunk bed. Underneath, they had placed a desk with a computer and gaming gadgets. The room had a real geek feeling as it was quite dark. On the wall, lights were organized in a way that it seemed like watching a sky full of stars. Mingyu's and The8's room was designed with style. The layout of the beds was the same as in the previous room, however below the bunk bed, they had arranged a sitting area with some relaxing lights assembled in empty wine bottles. Hana inferred that it was supposed to be The8's bar area. Next to it, an easel with a blank canvas was waiting to be painted on. The atmosphere of the room was romantic; Hana liked it. The last bedroom was the one of Woozi, Seungkwan, and Hoshi. There was one single bed again and a bunk bed which followed the style of design she had seen in DK's room. In one corner, there was a desk with a computer. Hana was surprised by the number of cosmetic items Seungkwan had. DK tried to justify him, "Seungkwan is a lot into skincare and beauty stuff."

"The apartment is nice!", Hana declared. "Thanks for making me visiting."

"Yeah, we are lucky they found this one for us," DK confessed. "Personally, it is my favorite of all the ones we had, even if I don't have a room to myself anymore."

They joined the others in the living room, and Mingyu offered, "Hana, let me show you our laundry room."

It was next to the kitchen in a space which could have been a balcony. Mingyu briefly explained to her how the machines were working and added, "We have a common pot for the dorm where everyone tries to put 5000 Won per month."

Hana nodded. She was starting to feel tired and therefore announced to everyone, "Okay guys, I'm going to unpack my stuff then. I enjoyed my first day with you, guys, and I'm looking forward to working with you. Please, don't hesitate to tell me if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm rude towards you. When is our training tomorrow by the way?"

"At two in the afternoon," Jeonghan answered for everyone.

"I'll see you there then," Hana said waving. "I wish you all a good night and thanks to those who cleaned the kitchen for me. I really appreciate it."

"Good night !" they wished in one voice.

When Hana entered her room, she was smiling. Her first day went on far better than what she had been expected. It had been unique!