Chapter 7

Hey ! I'm Hana.

Hana woke up on Sunday with a smile on her face. She had forgotten all about the alarming episode of the previous day. It had been planned to meet Vernon at the nearest station and take the public transportation together to Anyang. There, Mingyu and Dokyeom will be waiting for them at the Anyang Art Park.

When Joshua and Hana went out of the apartment's building, it was still early for a Sunday morning.

"I hope Vernon could wake up. He must have put the alarm clock earlier than we did," Hana observed.

"You know Vernon is the kind of person to wake up, put some clothes on and be ready for the day," Joshua grinned. "He does not care too much about his appearance."

"Oh yeah," Hana laughed. "I still hear Seungkwan saying that only confident people can behave like that."

"They are quite of the opposite," Joshua agreed. "Vernon cares about his appearance on an entirely different level than Seungkwan, who sometimes cares a bit too much though. But you aren't someone that cares a lot as well, are you?"

"I think it depends on the situation," Hana confessed. "When I'm motivated to, I like to dress up a bit. Otherwise, my main request in fashion is being comfortable but without appearing too messy though."

"By the way, you are looking great again today!" Joshua complimented her.

Hana gave him a shy smile. Under her trench coat and scarf, she was wearing a grey circle skirt with leather combat boots and a black turtleneck pullover.

"The heels make me feel small though," he laughed.

"They aren't even five centimeters tall," Hana accused while showing him her feet.

"We can be quite happy that Woozi doesn't see you today otherwise he would certainly feel like a midget."

Hana's face crinkled in frank laughter, "If he does not already!"

Arrived at the station, Hana spotted Vernon and waved at him. He was wearing a hat as usually with an oversized sweater and an army green trench coat.

"Did you sleep well?" Hana wondered when he reached them.

"Good but too short," Vernon mumbled glancing at her from bottom to top. "Are you going on a date today?"

Joshua burst out laughing, and Hana became red.

"May you allow me to dress up when I wish to?" Hana groaned.

Vernon, confused, glanced over at Joshua.

"I've asked her the same yesterday," he explained, and Vernon nodded, understanding Hana's reaction.

Vernon looked at his feet before confessing, "Either way, you are beautiful."

Hana surprised by the honest compliment stared at Vernon with a frozen look before responding sincerely, "Thank you, Vernon."

While traveling in the subway Line 7, Hana noticed something.

"Gosh !" she jabbered. "I'm alone with my beloved Team Rocket. Guys, we need to take a picture. Back in America, that was one of my high-school dreams. I need some proof that I made one of my dreams come true."

Vernon and Joshua, who were enjoying the journey to rest some more, opened their eyes sleepy.

"What was your dream?" Joshua wanted to confirm.

"Be friends with the Team Rocket."

"Meeting Seventeen wasn't one of your dreams?" Vernon wondered.

"Mh," Hana confessed. "No, Team Rocket was my priority back then."

"Oh," Joshua chuckled. "How come I'm feeling honored right now."

Hana smiled, "Come on guys; please pose!"

She took a dozen selfies making sure that everyone was varying their pose. Happy with the result, Hana held her phone tight to her chest, "Thank you, guys. That means a lot to me."

"Can you send them to us?" Vernon wondered. "We don't have a lot of team Rocket pictures, I just noticed."

"True !" Joshua confirmed. "Now that we have a new Rocket team fellow, it was a nice idea to capture the moment."

Hana's eyes widened, "You consider me as part of Team Rocket?"

"Well," Joshua admitted. "I don't know about Vernon, but to me, you are a precious friend… hmm, nearly the little sister I never had. So Team Rocket for me you are."

As for Vernon, he smiled glancing at Hana laying her head on Joshua's shoulder, but he didn't speak out on that particular matter.

After having changed one time to take a bus, they arrived at their destination: Anyang Art Park. From what Hana could see from the window of the bus, the place was huge. The alarming clouds in the sky had spooked the crowd. Indeed, Hana only saw a dozen people when they got off at the bus station. They got spotted by Mingyu and DK, who almost ran towards them to take Hana in his arms.

"Is that your new way of saying 'hello' ?" Hana inquired trying her best to push away Dokyeom who was sticking to her.

"You were missed, Hana," Dokyeom confessed while letting go of her. "Wow, it seems like we have a date together today, you and I."

He gave her a wink with a half-smile. Mingyu came between them, putting his arms around Hana and DK's shoulders, and declared, "And you two have a date with me, then."

"And with me," Joshua added, imposing.

"What about me then?" Vernon asked upset.

Hana freed herself from Mingyu's grasp and walked past Vernon in the direction of the park, "If you wanna have a date with me, then you should ask me, Vernon."

Hana who was already far ahead didn't see Vernon blushing at her words. Only the guys did, however, they didn't bother Vernon with it. Taking advantage of Hana's absence, Joshua recounted the weird episode Jun, Minghao and he had with Hana on the previous day. Vernon was the only one who could help them understand Hana's behavior by explaining about her past.

"She told us to tell you, but we forgot," Vernon admitted. "It is difficult for her to be in crowded places because of the painful memories which are coming back to her mind."

"She is such a brave person," Joshua confessed staring out into the distance. "I'm so happy that Hana came into our lives like that, humble, authentic, funny and kind."

At that moment, Hana appeared from a way on the left and exclaimed out of breath, "Come on, guys, I've discovered something. It looks insane!"

She led them to a circle of glass that had been installed in an asymmetrical order in the middle of the forest. Hana, excited by her discovery, was gracefully jumping and dancing around the art piece like a Celtic priestess.

"Look at that," Hana declared pointing out at her changing reflection. "Mingyu, don't you think that it deserves a picture. This park is such a nice place for you to get some Instagram footage."

While they were taking photos both individually and together, Dokyeom wondered, "How was it yesterday?"

"It was so nice. Seoul is a 'Kinder surprise': there is something to discover around each corner. I will take some time to wander around in the next few weeks. And I made a new friend yesterday!"

"You did?" Vernon asked curiously while glancing at Joshua. "Who did you meet yesterday?"

"Hmm, it's true that you all haven't seen him in a long time," Joshua conceded.

"Who?" Vernon grew impatient.

"Did you get him to follow you on Instagram?" Joshua investigated ignoring Vernon's inquiry.

"Mhm, I did!" Hana gloated.

"Guys, Vernon is going to freak out if you keep it a secret longer," Mingyu grinned.

"Okay, okay," Joshua nodded. "Minghao got a call yesterday from Samuel saying that he had some time free. We met him at DDP and went for a walk along the Cheonggyecheon stream. Hana and Samuel had a long talk though."

"He is as nice as I had imagined," Hana admitted, her eyes sparkling. "He even asked me what I was planning to do after my time with you guys and gave me some tips. And, and, and he is going to put me in contact with a casting director for dramas and movies produced in Korea. Samuel is just like that!" Hana raised her two thumbs up.

Vernon released the tension that he had built up while getting upset and acknowledged, "Samuel is a good person. He has always been."

DK took advantage of Vernon's words to , "Ooooooh Vernoona."

Vernon chased after Dokyeom trying to punch him for his unwelcomed cheesiness. Hana's clear laugh floated through the air like a melody. She was soon followed by Mingyu and Joshua.

"It never gets boring with us, does it?" Mingyu asked Hana.

"Indeed, I can always count on you to cheer me up!"

Mingyu put her arm around her shoulder and declared, confident, "We will always be there to cheer you up, Hana."

Hana, warmhearted, looked up at Mingyu who smiled at her. Deep into her heart, Hana hoped he was right and that, for nothing in the world, she would ever lose the precious friendship she had built with Seventeen.

They had walked around for at least four hours and had discovered the beauties and curiosities of the Anyang Art Park. Hana was happy that she had taken snacks for everyone in the morning. It had been enough to calm down their craving stomachs. They were invited at Mingyu's place in the late afternoon. Mingyu had already pointed out that his mum had begun to prepare the meals with him the day before. On their way back to the bus station, it started to rain. They took shelter under a temple.

"I didn't anticipate that," Mingyu stated. "Let's wait a bit here until it calms down."

"I love rain," Hana claimed while taking out her Bluetooth speakers and putting some music on.

Vernon glanced at her surprised, "Do you take it everywhere you go?"

Hana gave him a fierce look, "Always."

She played 'Silence' by Marshmello and started dancing. Moving with grace, Hana was one with the music and the rain falling around her. Mingyu, fascinated, took his camera out to film her: the scenery was magical. Her dancing was so natural that the boys couldn't tell if she was improvising or if she was following a set choreography. The beat of the chorus was leading her feet the way to touch the ground.

"What kind of dance is it?" DK wondered.

"It's contemporary dance," Joshua observed. "It is so beautiful that it looks like a rain dance."

When the music ended, and the next song played, Hana's eyes sparkled, "My phone knows me so well! Come on guys; you know this one."

And so she started lip-synching on 'Healing.' Vernon was impressed to see how in a few weeks only Hana had improved her skills to imitate each member. He met Mingyu's surprised gaze when Hana mimicked his part almost at perfection. At the beginning of the chorus, Dokyeom and Joshua joined her. "Now dive in dive in dive in dive in." At the same moment, the three of them, aligned under the rain, made a wave with one hand while holding their nose close with the other. Mingyu was still filming. They were soaking wet. However, they were having fun. DK was laughing so hard that he was almost falling on the ground. Joshua and Hana were jumping like crazy and trying hard to imitate the member who was singing his part in the song. A feeling of warmth that Vernon couldn't explain grew inside him while looking at them. As the song ended, the rain stopped pouring. Mingyu showed his camera to Hana, "I have some footage for you."

Hana raised her thumbs up, "It must look good. Thank you so much Mingyu!"

"Let's go, guys!" Mingyu suggested. "My mum is looking forward to seeing you all, and especially Hana."

"Thank you, that makes me not feel pressured at all," Hana declared ironically.

"Come on," DK assured. "Mingyu's family is kind and warm-hearted."

Vernon's belly growled so loudly that everyone stopped walking to look at him. Dokyeom laughed, "We should hurry otherwise someone is going to get grumpy."

"I'm never grumpy," Vernon pointed out.

The guys gave each other significant glances. Hana agreed with them: despite the appearances, Vernon could be grumpy sometimes.

When they arrived at Mingyu's place, a poodle welcomed them with a waving tail. Hana directly fell in love with the dog. She couldn't stop herself from petting him and speaking to him with a high-pitched voice. From her youngest age, she had always been around dogs as her dad always had one or two of them.

"You should have told me that you had a dog, Mingyu," Hana reprimanded him.

"I could not have guessed that you'd love him that much," he defended himself. "Come on, Hana. You are not going to stay on the doorstep forever. Kimchi is not going to disappear."

"Oh, his name is Kimchi," Hana chirped petting the dog again. "Hey Kimchi, I'm Hana."

Mingyu rolled his eyes. Dokyeom contained himself not to burst into laughter. Joshua and Vernon were looking at Hana not knowing what they should think about her actions. A woman of mature age appeared in the hallway, "Mingyu, I was worried about you when it started to rain. Omo, but you are all soaking wet. Joshua, DK, come one here. I'm going to give you some of Mingyu's clothes you can change in."

Hana had stopped petting Kimchi and was standing, frozen. She was afraid of doing something wrong, "Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Hana. It's very nice to meet you."

Mingyu's mum took her hands in hers, "The pleasure is mine. I'm so happy that my big boy is associated with a girl like you." Mingyu's eyes widened as his mum spoke. "You know these boys are only around these skinny and diet-addicted girls. As a mum, I don't like that."

Mingyu had hidden his face in his hands. A smile took shape on Vernon's face, and Dokyeom couldn't stop himself from laughing, "I can assure you, Mrs. Kim, that Hana sometimes eats as Mingyu does."

Hana slammed her head on Mingyu's shoulder as she began to feel embarrassed. She was surprised when Mrs. Kim took her by the hand and led her into a bathroom, "Let me give you some dry clothes as well." Before closing the door on Hana, she added, "Boys, I'll let you change in Mingyu's room and Hana I'll be back with you in one minute."

Hana took advantage of the time to sit down on the toilet and control her fast beating heart. She exhaled loudly and spoke to herself, "You're doing fine, just fine."

Even if she seemed externally confident with people, she wasn't. Hana had always been a shy person with strangers, and it took her a lot of effort to work that out. Therefore, she still had some difficulties relaxing internally when meeting new people. 'It's not like you are getting presented to his family because you're getting married,' she thought to herself while hitting her forehead with her fists. Mingyu's mum came into the bathroom, "As you are quite tall, I don't think that my daughter's clothes or mine will fit you." She presented Hana some of what seemed to be Mingyu's old clothes: a white sweatshirt and black joggers.

"That's all that I've found," she apologized before leaving her alone.

It's only when Hana put it on that she recognized the outfit. She had to roll up the sweatpants as they were too long for her. When she came out of the bathroom, she directly addressed Mingyu, "That's quite a unique piece that I'm wearing." She gladly spun around herself to show them her Idol Star Athletics Championship outfit with the name Mingyu and the number 17 written in her back.

"Oh!" Mingyu exclaimed. "I didn't know I had still this one." He turned toward his comrades. "2017, wasn't it?"

Vernon nodded in approbation. Mingyu added, "If you promise me you won't sell it on eBay, I'm willing to gift it to you."

Hana's eyes widened, "Really? Omo, I'm going to cherish it 'til I die. I promise."

"You're lucky that it shrank a bit in the wash," Mrs. Kim mentioned.

Hana thanked her with a deep bow. Joshua commented with a half-smile, "Hana is like Vernon. Whatever they wear, they will always look good. Such hipsters!"

Hana's gaze met Vernon's, and she gave him a hesitant smile. Vernon expressed with a sigh, "Seems that Joshua has categorized us, Hana."

"Happy to share the hipster tag together with you Vernon," she confessed with enthusiasm.

He raised his eyebrows and gave her a high five. Hana added, "You are team Rocket with Joshua and team Hipster with me."

Vernon laughed sincerely, "That makes me quite happy."

"Where is your sister Mingyu?" Mrs. Kim interrupted. "I've asked her to help me serve the dishes."

Hana volunteered, "Mrs. Kim, please let me help you!"

"No, no, no, if Mingyu doesn't know where his sister is, then he will help."

"We can both help, Umma," Mingyu offered.

"She is our invitee," his mum reprimanded him. "Hana darling; just stay with the boys while Mingyu helps me prepare everything, will you."

Hana didn't want to insist more and therefore nodded. Hana was petting Kimchi while conversing with Joshua, Dokyeom, and Vernon when her phone rang. It was her mum. She excused herself and answered to her mum in English, "Hey mummy, how are you?"

From what she could hear, Hana inferred that her mum was doing fine. She was probably under anti-depressant pills. Unfortunately, her mum had tried to cut them off but, eventually, the doctor had decided on Hana's consent that she couldn't live without anymore. Hana was fine with that as she knew that it was helping her mum to cheer up and enjoy her life.

"It's your grandfather's birthday," her mum declared. "I hope you didn't forget."

She had thought of it in the morning but wasn't able to call because of the time difference. Hana was happy that her mum had reminded her though.

"I'm going to call them right away, mummy," Hana promised her. "Oh, Liam is in France. That's nice to hear. Yeah, mummy, I will greet him as well."

She hung up and excused herself some more to the boys who were already sitting around the table. She dialed the number of her grandma as she knew that her grandpa wouldn't answer. When her grandma picked up, Hana started speaking in French. Both her grandparents were doing fine, and her grandma was wondering when Hana will visit them. Hana explained to her that, at the time being, she had a lot of things to do but that she will try to grab the next opportunity she will get to come to France. Her grandma told her how happy she was that Liam had found some time to come over from Japan but that she was, however, worried that Hana's mum was left alone. Hana agreed and felt sad for having left her mum's side by coming to Korea. Hana felt responsible for her father's death and more so for her mum's depression. Her grandma gave the phone to her grandpa, and Hana sang him 'Happy Birthday' in German. When she put down the phone, the boys sitting were looking at her with eyebrows raised.

"How many languages did you speak?" Dokyeom wondered.

"Well, English with my mum, French with my grandma and German with my grandpa," she answered before apologizing. "I'm so sorry it was my grandpa's birthday, and my mum wanted to make sure that I won't forget it. Time difference gets me confused sometimes."

"We weren't able to recognize the language. However, we did 'recognize' the song," Joshua laughed.

"Did you forget?" Vernon asked seriously.

Hana replied with a smile, "I wanted to call them this morning but time difference played against me. Therefore, I'm happy that my mum reminded me."

Mingyu came back with his mum and a girl. They were bringing a lot of plates filled with various side dishes. The bellies of the four sitting growled together at the sight and smell of the food.

After having 'arranger' the plates on the table, Mingyu's mum announced, "Hana, this is Mingyu's sister, Minseo." Hana bowed her head politely. "Unfortunately, Mingyu's father could not make it today. He does not know what he is missing though. Mingyu helped me a lot in the preparation of the dinner. We are quite the winning combo."

She gave her son a proud smile. Mingyu's sister sat next to Hana, and with great eagerness, they started eating.

"I think I've already seen you somewhere," Minseo asserted after a moment while glancing at Hana. "But I can't reckon where."

"It might have been on social media," Hana guessed. "I'm active both on Instagram and YouTube under the name Hana B."

Minseo's eyes widened, "Now, I remember. I used to watch all your videos, I think, until four years ago. Your channel was so various! I loved it."

"I wasn't present for the last few years," Hana confessed. "I apologize. However, I think I'll post some more when my contract with Pledis finishes as I will have more time to think about good content."

Mingyu raised a hand to express, "Hana, you can post what I've filmed today. It was filmed with my non-professional skill, but the scenery was killing it."

"Hmm," Hana agreed with a smile. "Allow me first to see the footage, and then I will see what I can make out of it."

Minseo clapped in her hands, "That will be nice! It's time for you to bring your channel back to life."

The entire table laughed.

"Even the manager spoke of your channel," Dokyeom noticed. "But we haven't seen any video from it."

"I did," Mingyu confessed.

Dokyeom, Joshua and Vernon gave him an appalled look and blurted at the same time, "How?"

Mingyu shrugged his shoulders with an innocent face, "Just like that."

Dokyeom gave Mingyu a flick on his forehead and scolded him, "Why don't you show us too instead of keeping it to you, you clumsy brat."

Hana burst into laughter soon followed by Mingyu's mum and Minseo. 'They are just too extra to stay serious for a second,' Hana thought while wiping the tears that had formed at the corner of her eyes.

The day came to an end. A manager had been appointed to bring the party back to Seoul. Hana thanked Mingyu's mum for her kindness and hospitality. When Hana praised how well Mrs. Kim had raised her children, she held on to Hana's hands and declared, "Your parents did too, Hana. You are an adorable girl, and I will thank god if one day you'd become my daughter-in-law."

Hana's face burning red. Vernon, who was on the doorstep with Mingyu, tried hard to hide his laughter. As for Mingyu, he grabbed his mother hands to make her let go of Hana, "Mum, don't bother Hana with such requests." He pushed Hana out of the house and babble to his mum.

Everyone was quiet during the trip back to Seoul: all probably tired. When they arrived at the apartment, it was already late, but the members had all gathered in the living room for their monthly 'team meeting.' had agreed with the others that it was a great way to exchange and bring up both positive and negative thoughts of each member. Everyone had been waiting for the four missing members. Hana quickly greeted them before going into her room in order not to disturb them.

During their meeting, Joshua took the opportunity to explain Hana's alarming episode he had with Jun and Minghao. Vernon explained with the support of Wonwoo, Jeonghan, and Woozi the story behind Hana's trauma. After that, the meeting went on as usual. Each member had the opportunity to share his thoughts with the others. Vernon's turn came, and he declared with a serious tone, "I have a confession to make, guys. As I never really felt that way, I don't know what to do about it… however, I'm sure of one thing."

He lowered his head, thoughtful. Seungkwan, alarmed by Vernon's gloomy look, put a hand on his shoulder and comforted him, "Come on, buddy. What is it? You know that we will always have your back, don't you?"

Vernon smiled at him and glanced at his comrades with a determined gaze, "Guys… I'm in love."