Chapter 10

Hey ! I'm Hana.

As Hana's contract was ending after the filming of Seventeen's comeback MV, she started looking for a place to live. She had decided to stay in Korea and explore the job opportunities. In addition to that, Samantha had required Hana to stay in Seoul to help her launch her start-up. Hana had sent her application for a dance teacher position at the 1Million Dance Studio and thanks to one of Pledis' managers she had been invited to audition for the cast of a Korean movie. Luckily, Mingyu and Seungkwan had helped her prepare for it. As the production of the film was consequent, Hana wasn't expecting to be called back for a role. However, she still did her best during the audition. Hana was quite impressed by the progress she had made in Korean in less than two months.

The performance team and Hana had finalized the choreography for the new song, "Dance with me." They had created two separate choreographies: one in group and the other with a girl. Pledis' creative team had requested this as they were thinking about the visuals of the MV and the future performances. Pledis' upper management would make the final decision regarding the choreography. In the meanwhile, the training started again. As they had roughly a month to learn and master the dance moves, it was quite a challenge for everyone.

Hana took Joshua with her to visit some apartments, and he mostly gave her advice on the fairness of prices. They were doing this during the morning while the other members were sleeping in. After two weeks of searching, they found the one. As the rent was rather low for the quality of the apartment, Joshua helped Hana to get over the paperwork as quickly as possible. The accommodation was located on the last floor of a building in Gangnam and had three rooms. The kitchen was opening on a living room which gave access to a rooftop balcony. A hallway was then leading to the only bathroom and the two bedrooms. Hana knew that the size of the apartment was quite considerable for one person. However, the conditions given by the landlords, Mr. and Mrs. Cha, had been more than convincing. The owners of the place were both business people who were leaving the city to retire in a countryside home. They had been looking for a serious person to take the tenancy of their apartment. During the tour, Mrs. Cha had expressed her positive feelings towards Hana.

"I am sure your boyfriend would be more than happy with you in this apartment," Mrs. Cha had commented.

Joshua and Hana had exchanged a glance before giggling together.

"She is not my girlfriend," Joshua had denied. "However, I must admit that I consider Hana as the sister I've never had."

Mrs. Cha had first apologized for her misunderstanding before smiling at the complicity the two young people shared.

A few days after, Hana received confirmation of her signed lease agreement. The landlords were moving out the beginning of May. As Hana would be in Switzerland during the majority of May, she had agreed with her best friend Samantha that she would help her move in. Indeed, Sam had to come to Seoul for business purposes and would be able to start furnishing the apartment during Hana's absence. Sam had been quite happy with Hana's offer as she wouldn't have to pay for a hotel and would be located in a strategic district of Seoul.

 

Pledis had eventually expressed their wish to make a woman appear in the main video. The members rushed into suggesting Hana for the position. They argued that they were the most comfortable with her and that they would save time learning the choreography as Hana was the one who created it. On top of that, they agreed that her visual wasn't bad. Hana rolled her eyes when Seungkwan insisted on that last point.

"Still, I feel honored that you want to work with me till the very end," Hana confessed to the members who had gathered around her in the living room.

All the members without any exception gazed at her, dismayed. spoke up first, "I guess I can say that on behalf of all the members. Hana, you entered our lives unpretentiously. Two months ago, I could not have imagined how hard it would be to go back to daily life without you."

The members nodded. Vernon lowered his head when his gaze met Hana's.

"Each one of us is more than happy, Hana, that we can enjoy this time together. We value you much more than you might value yourself, Hana, as an artist, a friend, and a member of the Seventeen family."

Hana couldn't contain the tears from emerging out of her eyes wide open. Hoshi who was next to her gently tapped on her shoulder.

"Don't cry, Hana, otherwise you are going to make me cry, too," he confided.

These words were meant to comfort her, but it didn't. She hid her face in her sleeves and started crying out loud. kneeled in front of her and put a hand on her crossed legs.

"Hana, I didn't mean to make you emotional. I only wanted to let you know how we feel about you."

Hana took his hands in hers and firmly held onto it.

"You did no wrong," she said between two sobs. "I don't know why I'm reacting this way."

Hana didn't know what was going on with her. However, she was sure of one thing: she hadn't felt like belonging to a family since her father passed away. His death had changed her relationship to her mum and herself. The past years, Hana had given up most of her time worrying for her mum instead of building up her self-confidence. Hana's dad had been the central pillar of her family. By losing him, the household had collapsed. Hana had spent years trying to restore the broken fragments. Still, her mum had never recovered from her husband's death, and Hana's brother had fled the house as soon as he started with his studies.

Out of the blue, tears were rolling down Seungkwan's and DK's cheeks. Hana reached out to them.

"Even if I won't share your daily lives anymore, guys," she consoled them. "I will always be there if you need me, I promise."

Hana was just too afraid that, in the end, she will be the one needing them more than they needed her. When she calmed down, Hana went to the kitchen to pour herself a glass of water. She sighed loudly and took a sip of water.

"Are you alright, Hana?" Vernon who had followed her asked.

She met his gaze. The tears came back to her eyes. Hana lowered her face and shook her head forbidding herself to start crying again. Without even thinking twice, she lied, "I'm fine. Please, don't worry."

Vernon had been very distant since Hana's birthday. She couldn't blame him for that. She was angrier at herself for pulling him away each time he was trying to reach out to her. Hana could see him frown.

"Then, everything's alright." He uttered before leaving the living room.

Their discussion didn't go unnoticed. S.Coups, Joshua, and Jeonghan made eye contact.

"Don't you think that they are both hurt?" Joshua whispered.

Jeonghan nodded, "Completely."

"I don't know what happened between them at last," noticed. "Vernon isn't the one to empty his heart without being asked to."

"Do you think Seungkwan or Hoshi know more? Vernon is most likely to turn towards them first when something goes wrong," Jeonghan observed.

"Let me talk to him," Joshua declared. "It pains me to see them like this."

He stood up and walked to his room looking for Vernon.

 

Vernon was lying on his bed, his face hidden behind his forearm. He didn't notice Joshua entering the bedroom.

"Vernon," Joshua announced in a calm voice. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

"Do you wanna talk about my miserable sentimental life?" Vernon sighed without even looking at him.

"I just want to understand what happened, if you are willing to explain."

"She turned me away without really doing it. The worst part is that I fully understand her feelings, but I can't move on."

Joshua sat down next to him on the bed, "What reasons did she have?"

"First, we are employed by the same company right now. Secondly, I'm an idol, and Hana is persuaded that a relationship will create a mess that will harm everyone."

"These reasons are understandable," Joshua mumbled.

"I know!" Vernon exposed his flushed eyes and sat down. "But this is not what freaks me out the most. Let me cite you the worst words you can receive while being turned down by the person you like: because of these circumstances, I can't have any personal feelings. It's just unfair."

Vernon's tormented face made Joshua's heart tightened. No one could have noticed the slight changes in Hana's behavior. She was able to hide her discomfort almost at perfection. However, Joshua had observed her staring more often at things blankly, getting distracted easily, and trying to keep her distance with Vernon. The rare moments where Vernon was showing her his affection she will turn him down straight away.

"Hana is not the kind of person to be selfish. However, you should take her words positively. Sooner or later the circumstances will change and won't present any obstacles anymore. Don't you think?"

Vernon looked at him his eyes wide open.

"Which means that I still have a chance to persuade her of my sincerity. Josh, will you talk to her? I mean… You, guys, all agreed that we would overcome this together whatever happens. I guess Hana is the only one thinking that we aren't ready to face the dark sides of change."

"Well," Joshua stared into the distance. "It's true that we are not getting younger and that we should have the rights to have a normal private life. Everyone does, so why couldn't we? I want this to change, Vernon. I wasn't thinking a lot about this before I met Hana. I guess she made us realize that we should try to live to the fullest without restrictions. Hana is the one who told me that you never know when it's going to be the end and that, in your own way, you should make the most out of it. Your life shouldn't be dictated by society or general opinion. By knowing her background, how can she not be an inspiration to us?"

Joshua looked at Vernon. He had a glance of determination in his eyes.

"Thank you, Josh! From now on, I will stop moping around. I will make sure to show her the sincerity of my feelings and how much she underestimates us."

"And I will make sure to talk to her in some ways," Joshua added with a smile.

Joshua knew that despite the words Vernon said, he was still hurting. To Joshua, Vernon and Hana as a couple would be the ultimate solution to avoid her walking out of their lives once and for all.