Chapter 4

Hey ! I'm Hana.

The next morning, Hana woke up at 8.30. She had planned to go grocery shopping for breakfast. As she went out of her room, she glanced over at the living spaces. It seemed like no one was there. The guys had probably a full schedule.

When she came back, she prepared some crepes filled with salad, cucumber, and a sweet balsamic dressing. She loved eating salty in the morning. While having breakfast, she watched some old and new performances of Seventeen on Youtube. Hana wanted to get an image of how each member presented themselves on stage and make an estimate of the difference with how they were in real life. By doing that, Hana was hoping to adjust her training and help them making a choreography that will show each member's personality.

"Are you having fun ?" someone asked in her back.

"Oh my god, you startled me !" Hana gasped when she turned to face Vernon.

He seemed to have just woken up. His hair was messed up, and he was bleary-eyed. Hana could not help but laugh when her gaze met his. "I see now why you don't give up your bed too easily. You look refreshed."

"Ha, ha, ha," he yawned.

Wonwoo appeared behind him and put a hand on Vernon's shoulder. "Oh, Sleeping Beauty is finally awake." He waved at Hana. "Good morning."

He glanced over Hana's breakfast plate. His eyes were sparkling, "What did you prepare for breakfast ?"

"Crepes," Hana answered. "I have some left, do you want some? I can make you a salty or sweet one as you wish."

Wonwoo took the seat in front of her. "Sweet, pleaaase."

He looked like a kid who had been given a treat. Hana smiled, "And you, Vernon ?"

"I'll try the salty one: I need something to wake me up."

He took the seat next to Hana's and rested, his chin leaned on his hands. Hana went to the kitchen to prepare the crepes. Jeonghan entered the room and asked, "It smells nice, what are you cooking ?"

Hana nicely offered him breakfast as well. In the meanwhile, Wonwoo took some jam and hazelnut cream out of the kitchen cupboards. Hana had made too much batter and decided to finish it. She put a pile of crepes in front of Jeonghan and Wonwoo and gave Vernon her salty preparation, "Try it. If you don't like it, I'll eat it." He nodded.

"Where are the others ?" Hana asked.

"They have a different schedule," Wonwoo replied. "However, Woozi must be here as well. You'll see: he often stays in his room."

Jeonghan added, "He often doesn't know what he misses by not being here."

Hana looked at Vernon and noticed the concentration he put into eating.

"I hope you like cucumbers?" Hana worried. "I forgot to ask."

"Be happy you did not prepare that for Seungkwan," Wonwoo commented. "He is the pickiest with food and especially with cucumbers. You hit the jackpot with Vernon."

"It's good, I like it," Vernon, who was finally waking up, encouraged. "It's true: I'm not picky with food."

Hana stood up, "That reassures me. Does it bother anyone if I do some work at the bar counter with some music on ?"

They shook their head. Jeonghan, however, inquired, "Do you do additional work ?"

"Yeah," Hana sighed. "It's for Samantha. She is a creative director and wants to have a freelance business here in Korea. As she has no real clue for business, I'm trying to help her out."

"Mh, that's nice," Jeonghan emphasized.

Hana opened her computer and started to work on the project Samantha had sent her the day before. She checked as well her email to see if she had had any answer from potential clients. Now that she was in Korea, Hana would be able to actively research the proper way to run a freelance business and the regulations to respect. After eating, the guys cleaned the kitchen. Vernon took a seat at the dining table and began working on the lyrics of their new song. Jeonghan went into the laundry room, and Wonwoo lied down on the couch to read something on his tablet. Absorbed in her work, Hana did not notice that she had begun to sing on "Twice" by Christina Aguilera. She was often doing that when she was focused. During her bachelor studies, no one wanted to learn with her because of this habit. At the end of the song, someone cleared his throat behind her. Hana turned around: it was Woozi. She did at first not understand why everyone in the living room was looking at her like a bizarre creature. Then, Woozi asked:

"Could you sing something else?"

"Oh no," Hana realized. "Did I hum again? I'm so sorry that's an annoying habit of mine."

"Could you sing something else?" Woozi insisted.

"Well, I suppose I can try, at least."

Hana thought about a song she was feeling comfortable with, and that could show her abilities to go high and low. The four boys were looking at her impatient.

"The world was on fire, and no one could save me but you," Hana started.

She sang a short part of "Wicked Game" from Chris Isaak. When she finished, Woozi put a hand on his chest, "Wow, I'm impressed."

Vernon and Wonwoo made big eyes and nodded. Jeonghan stayed composed his head bent on the side. Trying to stay humble, Hana declared, "Singing is just a hobby. I never had any lessons, and I can't read any partition. When I play instruments or sing, I guess... I do it intuitively. It does not always sound good though," she added with a smile.

"I can assure you that when you tell me that it impresses me even more," Woozi mentioned. "Since when are you singing ?"

"I guess I started singing more after my father died."

"By the way, I was wondering how your father passed away," Wonwoo began. "If I may ask ?"

Jeonghan looked at him with wide eyes and threw a pillow at him, "Wonwoo, how can you asked that so calmly ?"

Woozi and Vernon nodded agreeing with Jeonghan.

"Well, I'm just asking, but I'm not forcing her to answer."

"I'll have to explain it one day," Hana stated. "So it doesn't truly matter if it's now or later."

Hana took a deep breath before wondering, "I don't know if you already heard of the terror attack in Nice that happened on French National Day in 2016?"

Vernon put his hand in front of his mouth anticipating what Hana was about to say. Wonwoo lowered his head uneasy and Woozi stared at her wide-eyed. As for Jeonghan, he was unquestionably avoiding Hana's gaze. From their reaction, Hana inferred that they knew what happened on that particular day.

"My father took me to Nice before going to my grandparent's to celebrate the good grades I had made in my first year of high school. That evening, on La Ballade des Anglais, was clearly a good representation of what hell must be." Hana stopped for a moment, her gaze lost into the distance. "I still remember precisely the screams, the truck knocking down the people and the inert bodies. My dad was hit while saving a four-year-old boy. That boy survived; my father didn't…"

Hana could feel the tears coming to her eyes as her memories scrolled through her head. She didn't want to cry in front of them on her second day, so she took a deep breath and pursued, "I still feel uneasy in very crowded places next to or on the road. That's my trauma." Hana started singing. "I'm in trauma, it's got me singing. Stuck in trauma noraena bureullae. Blah, blah, blah, blah an ichyeoiyeo wae. That's my trauma yeah my trauma. Now, it's got me singing, singing, singing."

She looked at Wonwoo whose crumbled face described how he was feeling about his indiscreet question.

"I'm sorry I've asked," he confessed with a tense smile. "I couldn't know."

Jeonghan glanced at him with an ounce of anger silently reproaching him his insolent interrogation.

"It's alright," Hana sighed and gave them an empty smile. "I would have told you eventually. However, could you make me the pleasure to tell the others when the opportunity comes? I'm not sure I'll be able to explain this more times without crying."

A deafening silence filled the room. The loss of her dad had been a real hardship for all her family. Deep inside of her, Hana had always felt responsible for her father's death.

"Hana," Woozi began. "Would you like to listen to the song's demo?"

Hana's eyes widened, "Me? But I'm not competent at all for this kind of things."

"I need someone with an external point of view to listen to it. Also, I think you've grown up with more contact with latino music than us."

"That might be true," Hana inferred. "I'm honored, Woozi."

Her face brightened, and her smile took on colors. The guys glanced at each other agreeing on the fact that they clearly liked her that way.