Chapter 11

Hey ! I'm Hana.

After discussion, Pledis decided that Hana would be the girl appearing in the MV. Hana had discussed with the creative team about filming locations. During the first five days in Switzerland, the members will have no schedule while Pledis’ staff would explore the different locations. The members were going to stay at Hana’s family house. Hana hadn’t gone back to Switzerland for a long time. All the memories with her father were there. However, she wasn’t afraid of going back. She was missing Josie and was more than happy to spend some days in her old home. Hana had been invited to give an inspirational speech by the college her father went to. As she knew that her father would have done it without hesitation, she accepted gladly.

The day before their flight to Europe, Mingyu decided to go out drinking with Seungkwan, Vernon, Dokyeom, Dino, The8, Wonwoo, and Hoshi whereas Jeonghan, Joshua, Woozi, Jun, and S.Coups stayed with Hana in the dorm after having decided to order pizza. Hana took some time to show them pictures of Switzerland.

“And I looked at the weather,” Hana pointed out. “It’s going to be warm and sunny: about 20 to 24 degrees every day.”

“Did you already set up a schedule for us?” Jun wondered.

“Yes, I did,” Hana answered with a half-smile. “But don’t worry, Josie and I planned some free time for you guys as well.”

S.Coups clapped in his hands, “I’m sure we are going to have a nice time.”

“We don’t go very often to Europe,” Woozi mentioned. “But this year, we are already going twice.”

“It’s true.” Hana agreed. “It’s been a long time since you’ve been to Kcon in Paris. When is it again ?”

“Mid of June at some point,” Jeonghan claimed. “We are going to have a busy schedule after that, with the comeback getting closer and the Asia tour coming up.”

The fans would have waited a year for Seventeen to come back. The preparation of the album had taken a while as they had produced thirteen solo songs further to  “Dance with me.” The comeback would be announced once Seventeen would be back from Switzerland and the date of release was planned for the beginning of July. The extraordinary length of the album was meant to stay secret until the release date. Hana was hoping that the album would be welcomed well by the audience. She had no idea how the solo songs sounded. They had recorded them all before her contract with Pledis had started.

“How long will you be on Asia tour?” Hana wondered. “Is it already decided ?”

“I guess, it will last for a good two months.” S.Coups pointed out. “Pledis is planning a world tour for us next year. It still has to be confirmed. But if they can organize it, it will probably be the biggest tour we’d have ever done.”

“Finally, realizing a wish for international fans,” Hana mentioned with a half-smile. “I would love to attend one of your concerts.”

“For sure, you will!” Joshua claimed. “I was actually wondering, Hana, in what kind of house you grew up. Do you have any pictures ?”

Hana looked up on her phone. She had some, but they weren’t contenting.

“Wait, let me call Josie. If she’s home, she can at least show us the main living rooms and the garden.”

Joshua raised his hands to make her understand that it wasn’t necessary, but the familiar beep of a video call was already resounding in the room. After a few seconds, a woman in her 60’s answered. For the boys, Hana spoke with her in English.

“Hey, Josie! How are you doing ?”

“I’m doing fine. Getting everything ready for your arrival. My two boys are very excited to see you.”

Because of the number of eyebrows raised, Hana felt obliged to precise that Josie had two dogs.

“Are these your colleagues?” Josie inquired when she saw the faces of the five members.

“Only a part of it. The majority of them are out drinking.”

Josie laughed, “Getting ready for the long flight, I suppose. I’m looking forward to meeting you all. Hana praised you so much!”

The guys waved back at her and politely bowed their heads.

“We are looking forward to spending some time with you,” Joshua said.

“Such charming, boys,” Josie exhaled. “Hana, what is the reason for you to disturb me in my tight planning ?”

“Oh! Let’s do it quickly then. The guys were just wondering where I grew up, and I know they are going to be here in less than two days. But… if you have the time to give them an premiere of the main living rooms and the garden.”

“You know I’m joking, Hana. It’s with pleasure. Let’s start with the kitchen as I’m already here. It’s messy but well they don’t mind I guess.”

Josie kindly gave them a wink before rotating the camera.

“Are you ready?” she asked.

“Yes!” everyone answered in chorus.

The preview tour started. Hana’s childhood home was a farm which had been renovated with particular taste. The ceilings in the main living rooms were high, which gave the house a mansion feel. The colors chosen on the walls, of the furniture, and the decoration emphasized the desire to make anyone stepping in feeling at home.

“My parents were inspired by the interior design used in Scandinavian countries and the North of Germany,” Hana specified.

The main living room was giving on a terrace overlooking a vast garden. Josie stepped out to show them the pool. It was intelligently built so that you could sit at the edge of the deck and put your feet in the water while sipping a glass of whatever would make your day. The highlight of the exterior of the house wasn’t its garden but the view. Indeed, from the living room and the terrace, you could see the Alps looming over Lake Geneva.

“It’s breathtaking,” Joshua admitted once they had finished their call with Josie. “Why did you leave this heaven?”

Hana laughed genuinely, “If it had been my decision, I would have stayed. However, I’m glad I didn’t because when I think about home now, only good memories are coming to my mind.”

“After seeing this,” Jun confessed. “I’m even more excited to be leaving tomorrow for Switzerland.”

“Thank you, Hana,” S.Coups insisted. “To give us the opportunity to spend some days off in a beautiful location.”

Hana shook her hands. “It is my pleasure. Now that I think about it, I guess it is important to me to show you where I grew up. You will be surprised because in Switzerland you are surrounded by nature everywhere. Our cities are nothing compared to the cities in Asia: a lot smaller and rural. You will maybe hate it there because you cannot just leave in the evening to do something. If you compare it to Seoul, it is pretty much dead.”  

“I suppose it’s exactly what we need,” Jeonghan affirmed. “A hell lot of tranquility.”

Everyone laughed at his words. Hana looked at the time on her watch. It was already pretty late.

“I hope that they will come home sometime soon,” Hana mentioned. “We still have a flight to take tomorrow.”

“It’s true,” Woozi agreed. “I wonder what keeps them away for so long. Maybe they…”

He couldn’t finish his sentence because of Seungkwan suddenly rushing into the living area with a worried look on his face.

“Guys, we have an issue!”

They couldn’t even ask what had happened that Wonwoo appeared behind Seungkwan and announced, “We have lost Vernon.”

“Whaaaaaaaaaaat?” everyone exclaimed in chorus.

 

Some of the members stayed at the dorm in case Vernon would get there while others went out looking for him. According to Seungkwan, Vernon had drunk way too much. The members had decided not to notify any managers about the situation. They didn’t want their trip to Switzerland to be jeopardized by this issue. Each member had been assigned a specific area to search. Hana had to look in the different places around the dorm. At first, Hana walked, but as the time passed, she started to run. It was late, but she was afraid that he would cross the way of someone recognizing him and using his current state against him or Seventeen.

When she entered a park that was near to the dorm, Hana saw someone lurching on the pathway in front of her.

“Vernon?” Hana yelled.

The person turned around to face her. It was him. Hana exhaled loudly. She was relieved. Hana walked towards him.

“Hana!” Vernon stammered loudly. “Why are you here?”

Hana put her arms under his as soon as she reached him to give him support. Vernon raised one finger.

“I’ve asked why!”

“Vernon, help me a bit,” Hana claimed. “You’re heavy.”

“Why ?” Vernon continued. “Why are you following me everywhere I go? It’s hard for me already.”

Hana found a bench and encouraged Vernon to sit down.

“You’re always in my head.” Vernon hesitated. “Why are you still appearing everywhere I go… even… even after having turned me down.”

Hana remained silent and let him clear out his mind. Vernon gazed at his raised finger as he was speaking to it.

“Why?” He suddenly turned towards Hana and gave her an intense look. “Why don’t you understand that I’m not able to erase you from my heart?”

Hana opened , but Vernon didn’t give her the opportunity to speak.

“You hurt my feelings, but I won’t give up. I will show you how sincere I am about us… how much I love you, Hana.”

Hana’s heart made a jump in her chest. Vernon was totally wasted, but Hana could discern the honesty and the despair in his gaze. Without any warnings, he put his head on Hana’s shoulder.

“I tried so hard,” His voice broke. “So hard to keep you out of my head. I had to give up because I realized how much I need you.”

Hana’s face turned red. No one had ever told her these words with that intensity. It took her a while to compose herself again.

“Vernon,” Hana articulated.

No answer.

“Vernon?” she repeated.

Still no answer. Hana turned her head slowly. Vernon had fallen asleep. Hana signed and took out her phone. She quickly texted everyone on a chat group and gave her location. She wasn’t able to take him home by herself now that he was doubtlessly away with his mind. While waiting for help, Hana let her thoughts wander. She didn’t even realize that she had begun drawing with her fingers on the palm of Vernon’s left hand.

“I’m not doing this because I don’t have any feelings… I’m doing this to protect myself, you, and the other members. You might not be afraid of the entertainment business here in Korea, Vernon, because you know it well. I’m a newcomer… I’m afraid of not having the background you have to confront it. I’m sure you think I’m a coward… But, I’m sure of one thing. I know how it feels to be the reason for others’ despair.”

Hana was thinking of herself as a coward. At this point, she wasn’t ready to feel the same way as she did with her family for so many years. She had told herself to many times ‘If I hadn't expressed my envy to go to Nice, that wouldn’t have happened.’ A song came to Hana’s mind, and she started to hum it.

“If we're caught in a wave, I will carry you over. It doesn't matter where you are, I'll run to your front door. When my head goes in different directions, you know my heart's never on the move. And in the dark times, you don't have to question if I'm a hundred with you. You could put an ocean between our love, love, love. It won't keep us apart. You could build a wall, I would run it up, up, up just to get to your heart. If we're caught in a wave, baby, we'll make a way.”

Vernon moved a bit and whispered, “Hana,” while smiling in his sleep. Hana had to restrain herself from laughing as it had been way too cute for him. Some minutes after, Mingyu and S.Coups came rushing towards them.

“Do you know if someone saw him?” S.Coups wondered, worried.

“I don’t know, but since we are here, no one came by. I guess tomorrow will tell us.”

Mingyu carried Vernon on his back while S.Coups was checking that their way back to the dorm was clear. Once they crossed the doorstep, Seungkwan rushed towards them and slapped Vernon in the back.

“How could you do something like that, you rascal?”

Vernon kept still but mumbled, “Water, where is my bed?”

“I guess he needs a good night of sleep,” Hana observed. “Seungkwan make sure he gets some water. We don’t want him to get on the plane with a visible hangover.”

Seungkwan agreed and went to the kitchen.

“I’m going to leave you here,” Hana said to Mingyu and S.Coups while opening the door of her room. “I’m exhausted. Thank you for helping me bringing this drunkard safely home.”

Mingyu smiled, “We’re lucky that you found him. God knows what he would have been up to otherwise.”

“Sleep well,” S.Coups wished. “We’ll see you tomorrow.”

As soon as Hana entered her room, she leaned back on the room’s door. She was flustered, and her heart was beating faster at the memory of Vernon’s gaze. Hana calmed herself while getting her luggage ready. At 3 a.m. she fell asleep while thinking that love was a dangerous thing.

 

A continuous knock on Hana’s door woke her up. It was Dokyeom.

“Hana, you have to get ready. We are leaving in thirty minutes for the airport.”

Hana realized that she had forgotten to put her alarm clock. In a fraction of seconds, she stood up and rushed to the bathroom, “I slept in. Thanks, DK!”. Hana was more than happy that she had taken the time to prepare her stuff before sleeping.

On the way to the airport, Hana shared the car with Dino, Woozi, and Vernon. Vernon had sleepy eyes. Hana was wondering if he remembered something from the night before. Luckily, she didn’t have to ask because Dino did it while teasing him.

“From the time I left the bar, no I don’t recall anything.”

Hana was relieved. If he had remembered something, she would have had a hard time behaving normally with him. Hana enjoyed the trip to the airport by closing her eyes and relaxing some more. Someone humming a familiar melody gave her the chills. She opened her eyes and discovered the truth she didn’t want to know. In some way, Vernon remembered the song Hana had been crooning to him while being sincere about her feelings. She suddenly felt the heat coming up to her cheeks. Hana gazed the endless horizon and repeated to herself ‘Please don’t remember. Just forget about it. You were sleeping you rascal. How can you remember it? Don’t remember please.’

Hana turned around and met Vernon’s gaze. He was smiling at her. At this point, Hana knew that she was screwed…