Chapter 1

Hey ! I'm Hana.

 

Hana was diligently dancing on a song of the second Dirty Dancing movie when the first members entered the practice room. As soon as she noticed, she turned the volume down letting the Latino music enhance the background atmosphere. She bowed to the guys who already took place around her.

"Hi !" she said in a very American way.

She could hear some of the smallest members whisper:

"Soo tall…"

Personally, Hana did not think she was that tall but well in the eyes of Asian; she was with her 172 cm already perceived as a giant woman. However, Hana was delighted to see that the average men height in Korea was more generous than in Japan. On the eleven men who were already in the room, only one was way smaller than her. Hana had a quick look at her watch. It was already five past one. Her German blood went boiling to her head.

"Well, still two missing," she said frowning.

She knew already which boys were missing. Therefore, when they made their entrance into the practice room, she hastened to say with a serious tone:

"Mingyu, Hoshi, well come on in and take place."

Hana could see the others approve her teasing as a smile formed on their faces. The latecomers surprised took place rapidly. Hana waited a moment until they all gazed at her.

"Well, now that everyone is here," she said and then bowed. "Good afternoon, I'm Hana, your new trainer, mentor and roommate for the next few months."

They all bowed back with their collective "Seventeen, annyeonghaseyo! Seventeen ibnida". Hana could not stop herself laughing because she found it quite charming. She nodded again politely and continued her speech.

"I'm pleased to meet you and looking forward to working with you all. So… I was informed that your next chart song, correct me if I'm wrong, will have a latino touch to it?"

They all nodded nicely.

"And therefore, you need some coaching to initiate yourself to the latino style of dance." She hesitated before continuing. "You must know that I do not pretend to be the best at it but I'm sure I can teach something to each one of you, and I'm sure I'm going to learn a lot as well."

Some raised their eyebrows waiting for what was coming next.

"Regarding age difference… I'm way younger than most you and as I do not feel so confident in my Korean way of speaking, for now… could we agree to be casual with each other?"

They looked at each other undecided, and after a moment, they all approved.

"Thank you," stated Hana with a bow. "Even though I've lived in Japan for the past four years, I grew up with a western cultural background. That's why I'm not so good with these formalities, especially with young people. I hope you understand… I'm 23 years old by the way if you were wondering."

They all turned to the youngest member who was a year older than Hana and smiled nicely. Hoshi spoke up with the firm intention to :

"Well, Dino, you are not the youngest in the dorm anymore… for now."

They started to laugh all together at Dino's vexed expression. Hana joined them with joy.

"Okay, guys. Let's stay serious for now. Mh… I want to check that I can associate the names with your actual faces. So let me start."

Hana went to the first member who was on her right and said, "You are, Woozi?"

He bowed his head in a sign of agreement. Hana could not stop herself to add, "I'm sincerely sorry to be so tall…"

He looked up at her with a smile and said, "I'm quite used to it. You know with these guys…"

"Makes me feel a bit better then," Hana answered cheerfully.

She smoothly moved to the next person.

"Jeonghan?"

"Yes."

"Then, we have the famous leader ."

He raised two thumbs-up with a wink which made Hana smile.

"One of the Chinese member, Jun?"

Jun approved and elegantly made a reverence. Hana curtsy back to him with a wink.

"Dino ?"

"Yes," Dino said bowing politely.

"Let me know if I pronounce it correctly, Seungkwan?"

"Exactly," he said with an encouraging smile. "Fighting, Hana."

"Thank you," she laughed. "Then, one of the English-speaking members… Joshua."

"Nice to meet you, Hana," he said in English while gently kissing her hand.

"It's a pleasure," she replied in English before going back to Korean. "The second Chinese member and wine lover, the8."

"SVT club ?" he asked raising one eyebrow.

"Probably," she smiled. "If you need any advice on European wines, do not hesitate to ask… My father made me taste wine regularly from my 12th birthday."

They all looked at Hana probably shocked that an adult could give alcohol to a kid.

"What is your favorite wine variety?" Hana asked interested.

"Mh," he started thoughtfully. "Kabeleune Sobinyong probably."

Hana hoped she wasn't impolite, but she couldn't stop herself from laughing.

"Well," she stated. "I might be helpful in other ways than just as a dancing coach. Minghao, try it this way, cabernet sauvignon. That's the proper pronunciation."

She smiled at him brightly. He looked at Hana eager to learn more about his hobby.

"Cabelnet saubignon," he tried.

"We're almost there," Hana claimed while putting her hand on his shoulder. "And by the way, from what I can remember, Joshua has a lot to learn as well on the proper pronunciation of wine varieties."

The8 burst into laughing.

"Well, he has much more to learn on wine than only the pronunciation."

'They like teasing each other,' Hana noticed. She enjoyed that. It was making the entire atmosphere more casual than Hana expected it to be at first. She moved to the next member.

"Wonwoo?"

He seemed to be the shyest member for now because he just bowed without saying or doing anything.

"Then, we have the next English-speaker whose name always makes me think of Harry Potter's uncle."

All the members started to laugh and clap in their hands because of the inaccurate comparison. Some of them were miming a big belly and a grumpy face. Seungkwan added, "That's even funnier when you know that Vernon is a huge fan of Harry Potter."

"Well," Hana asserted. "Me too! That's why it seems weird at first. But that was not the point, can I just call you Vernon with a non-Korean pronunciation?"

Vernon was shaking his head not knowing what he should think about Hana's comment.

"Yes," he replied. "But only on one condition… please don't link my name to Mr. Dursley anymore because we don't have anything in common."

Hana smiled.

"I'll try my best," she said in English. "I promise."

"Wait, wait, wait," exclaimed. "We are not finished here."

"Vernon is good at imitating scenes out of movies," Jeonghan added. "Vernon let's show your amazing skills to Hana and recreate a scene of uncle Vernon."

"Why on earth should I do that now?" Vernon wondered, uncomfortable.

"Remember the bet you've lost recently," Jeonghan mentioned with a mischievous smile. "Well, this is your forfeit."

Vernon didn't have much of a choice. He breathed in and out deeply before saying, "Well then, let's do the fine day Sunday scene in English."

"Nice pick! Hana acknowledged. Let me play Harry."

Vernon nodded. After cleaning his throat and hunching his shoulders, arms crossed, he started with a deep voice, "Fine day Sunday. In my opinion, best day of the week. Why is that, Dudley?"

While asking that, he turned to Wonwoo. Hana had to control herself not to laugh.

"Because there's no post on Sundays?" she said acting like she was offering him a plate of cookies.

Vernon took one of the fictitious cookies while answering, "Right you are, Harry !" then Vernon mumbled. "No post on Sundays. Hah!"

He finished looking at his fictional cookie satisfied with his performance. The members applauded. Hana chirped, "Wow! That was quite impressive."

"Thank you," Vernon acquiesced. "You're quite good as well."

"Thanks," she answered with a smile.

'That was fun,' Hana thought while moving to the next member.

"DK ?"

"Dokyeom actually," he pointed out with a broad smile.

"Let it just be DK for now," Hana giggled.

"As you wish Hana," he answered with a half-smile.

He had pronounced her name in such an attractive way that Hana blushed. DK noticed and gazed at her visibly amused.

"W… well," Hana stuttered. "Next, we have the leader of the performance unit, Hoshi."

When he smiled at her, his eyes wrinkled up naturally.

"I'm looking forward to working with you Hana," he said cheerfully with a bow.

Hana bowed back to him politely. She found herself in front of the tallest member of the group and could not help but feel impressed. Intimidated, she stumbled:

"The cherry on the cake, at last, the tallest and most competent man in the room."

"Interested?" he chuckled while raising one of his eyebrows.

Hana stared at him wide-eyed before hastening to answer, unsure, "No… Well as a girl I can say that you are quite pleasant to the eye and that I might be biased by your height but… I'm professionally interested, and not otherwise."

Her answer seemed to meet every member's consent as they nodded in approval.

Hana added before going back to the front of the practice room, "I like it tidy and clean as well Mingyu. We will get along well."

"Okay guys, now that I made sure not to mix you up, let me present myself a bit more. I'm quite international as I grew up in Switzerland before moving to the US and then to Japan. As my father was a champion in Rock'n'roll dance back in his days, I've got familiar with dancing from my youngest age. While studying international business management in Tokyo, I had a part-time job in a dance studio, and after graduating, I've decided to work there full-time before applying for this position. French is my mother tongue, and in addition to that, I also speak German, English, obviously, and Japanese. I'm not the best at Korean as I'm learning it only for four years, so please be considerate. Well, that was a quick summary of my life curriculum, but we will have more time to know each other better… So let's start with today's training. I'm not trying to teach you salsa or cha-cha-cha. However, through our training sessions, my objective it to inspire you with latino flavored dance moves to get the body feeling and a sense of body contact. As you might know or not, Hispanic-latino people like it when it gets touchy. So do not be afraid of physical contact guys. If you stay professional, I won't punch you in the face."

The members did not seem to be reassured at all by Hana's words.

"Let's start then with a warm-up. I'm going to put a song on, and I want you to just have fun and dance on it. Do not hesitate to get creative. I want to see everyone moving."

Hana turned to the table where her phone was laying. While choosing the song she wanted, she mumbled to herself, "No, not this one. Not this one either. Hah! Found it! she declared suddenly."

The song Footloose from Blake Shelton began to vibrate in the background. Hana put the volume up and started to dance while lip-synching. The members recognizing the song joined her instantaneously. Her passionate dancing moves motivated even Woozi to get a little crazy. "We got to turn you around." Joshua grabbed Hana's hand and made her turn around. When the last chorus resonated, every member was somehow lip-synching and having fun. The song ended, and Jun declared loudly, "This was fun!"

The members approved his words with a collective, "Yes !"

Hana undid her ponytail and shook out her hair before saying exhausted, "Well, I'm already sweating." She rapidly tied her hair into a messy bun. "Now, we are ready to start the real work! The menu of today is… pam pam pam salsa!"

Hana, firstly, demonstrated the necessary steps of salsa. After an hour practice, Hana put everyone into groups of two to practice the lead and the turns. As Jun was the one with the least issues, he paired up with Hana to show the other guys the right moves. Hana enjoyed the scene of the members dancing as couples trying their best to loosen up their hips. Most of them were doing progress.

Hana approached Seungkwan who was dancing with Hoshi but was facing some real difficulties.

"Do you allow me to put my hands on your hips?" she asked politely.

His gaze firstly widened up. Hana blushed and hastened to ask, "Did I just say something naughty?"

Hoshi started laughing and answered instead of Seungkwan, "Not really, Seungkwan only likes to be prudish sometimes."

"Prudish? My ," Vernon retorted. "He is the first one having his hands all over the place."

Hana's mouth shaped in an o. She looked at both visibly shocked and blurted out, "Whaaaaaat ?! Oh my god," she stated while raising her hand towards Vernon. " No, my god, I really don't wanna know what he's doing with his hands."

Vernon's face slowly crumbled and before he could add anything, Hana said, "My god, stop it. That's your thing."

She turned towards Seungkwan and continued imploring, "Let me help you by letting me put my hands on your hips, please."

"Guys," Mingyu started. "Don't you think she looks like Wonwoo when she gets stressed out?"

By saying this, he imitated the hand gesture that Hana just made.

"True," Jeonghan agreed. "It has Wonwoo feeling to it."

Hana buried her face in her hands.

"Can't he just answer my demand instead of driving me crazy?" she asked while obsessionally fixing Seungkwan's hips.

"Please," he eventually replied. "Help me."

"Thank god," Hana declared shaking her palms towards the sky.

While Hana was grabbing Seungkwan's hips, Wonwoo asked, "Do I look like this?"

"Definitely," the other members answered.

"That's kind of funny," Wonwoo remarked with a half-smile.

They all looked at Hana who was dancing her hands on Seungkwan's hips. After 15 minutes of personal coaching, Hana let go of him and declared, "Look, now, do you feel it? That's exactly how you must do it."

Seungkwan moaned while massaging his legs, "Gosh, that's tiring."

Hana smiled and slowly moved to her next victim.

"Vernon, can I?" she asked showing her hands.

"Sure," he answered with a wince.

Vernon did not have the same difficulties than Seungkwan to find the rhythm, but Hana still found that his moves were stiff.

"Do you know how to swim?" she asked out of the blue.

"Well, y...yes," he stuttered surprised.

"Then, think that we are moving in the water right now."

Hana's words had a direct effect on Vernon's body awareness. His moves were more supple and fluid. She put her hands in the right position and carried on the series of steps she had taught them. Slowly, Vernon took the lead, making her turn and spin around him. She laughed cheerfully, "Isn't it fun when you get the sense of it?"

"Indeed, it is," he calmly admitted while ending their dance.

They were training for three hours already. Therefore, Hana decided that they had worked enough for today.

"Okay, guys, we are going to do the last challenge before ending today's training. I can already compliment all of you. You all worked hard, and you are dedicated students."

The oldest members giggled at the word student.

"I'm going to ask you to put yourself in a situation. I'm going to put on a song that you all know quite well, and I want some of you to come up to me and dance with me. Just imagine that you are in a latino country and that you want to impress a lady… or a man depending on personal preferences dancing on the dancefloor. Okay?"

All the members approved. Hana hopped to her phone and chose the only Seventeen song with a latino touch to it: Fast Pace.

"Guys, please do me the favor to forget your choreography."

Without surprise, Jun was the first one to take his chances and dance with Hana. It turned out to get hot. "You walk so quickly." Jun made Hana spin around in the arms of the8. The dancing couple synchronized their hips move to the music. Hana smoothly crossed her arms around the8's neck while he put her closer to him. "We're going". The8 moved back to give up his position to Dino while lip-synching his part of the song. Hana could discern in Dino's moves that he was a dedicated person, always trying to do at best. The members could not help but notice how Hana perfectly replicated some of Vernon's gestures like the sharp look with the chin up and the head slightly inclined. "You walk so quickly." DK came to Hana in a passionate way worthy of Patrick Swayze. Hana liked his way of not taking himself too seriously. It was refreshing and charming. They danced closely back to front. Enthusiastic, DK made her turn and spin around. At the end of the song, both were laughing catching their breath.

"That was intense," mentioned Hana. "I had a lot of fun, thanks to those who accepted in taking part in the challenge. You were all successful."

She looked at the other members.

"You'll have a chance next time guys! Do you have any plans for this evening?"

Some of them shook their heads; others were gazing at their leader who pointed out, "No, not really. Why?"

"Mh," Hana added thoughtfully. "I wanted actually to cook something for all of you as I'm kinda intruding into your dorm… Are you interested in something French?"

"Yes !" the8 blurted out. "Oh yes, please. It will change from our daily Korean or Chinese menu."

The eyes of some members sparkled at the idea. Hana looked at waiting for any sign of approval. He nodded with a smile.

"Does everyone like beef, potatoes, carrots and green beans?"

"Yes !" they answered in one voice.

"Perfect. The training is therefore officially over and… well, I'm going to do some grocery shopping now."

"Let me accompany you," Joshua interrupted.

"Euh," Hana answered surprised. "Is it alright for you to wander around like this?"

He suddenly took a mask out of his jacket and said proudly, "Don't worry. With that, I'm barely recognizable."

Hana was already on her way out. He joined her cheerfully and waved back to the boys, "See you later guys!"