Chapter 16

Regrets and Wishes

We broke up in the same hallway a few weeks later where I had seen you for the very first time.

"I can't do this anymore, Jongin"

I don't blame you, Soojung. I really don't. After the way I had treated you and our relationship, I wouldn't have blamed you even if you had lashed out and thrown things at me. Actually, I think that would have been so much better.

"I-I am sorry..."

I had managed to croak only to stop mid-sentence, but I guess you understood what I meant. I was sorry. For not being there when I should have. For not apologizing when we fought. For all the times you worried and cared for me. Because I didn't deserve it. I was sorry for all the lonely nights, all the unsaid words, all the missed calls and texts. For everything. I didn't dare look up to meet your gaze, I wasn't sure I would be able to hold back the tears if I did.

"Y-Yeah, me too", You had replied. "I guess this is good-bye then?"

I stole a glance at you when you said that. And I wish I hadn't because that image of you still haunts me to this day. Your cheeks were wet with tears, and you were biting your lower lip so hard, probably to stop yourself from crying out loud, that it had started to bleed. My insides had churned painfully inside me.

"Soojung-"

You turned around and ran, wiping your tears away roughly, to who knows where before I had the chance to complete whatever I wanted to say.

The company asked us to confirm if we had broken up and I did. So did you.

And the only thing I remember thinking numbly was: There isn’t going to be an ‘us’ anymore.