Chapter 14

Regrets and Wishes

"---------- reported to have broken up. The reason being their hectic schedules---------"

Liars. That's what I'd always thought on hearing about any break up in the industry that cited busy schedules as the reason. I knew several of them that had happened due to very different reasons but the statement that got fed to the media and fans always remained the same.

But fate made me realize it, the hard way, that maybe they weren't all lies. Because that's what took you from me Soojung: my work. And my undying commitment to it.

You had to stay out of Korea for several months for shooting your drama. Before leaving, you made me promise that I wouldn't repeat the same mistake of not contacting you for days and I did.

Only to break it the very next week. Our company had always been hard on us, pushing us to be the best, and now that we were at peak of our careers they made sure to be absolutely lethal when deciding schedules for the comeback, barely giving us space to breathe with the amount of practices thrown in. I remember having meals in the car while going from one place to another, for weeks and weeks on end. We weren't given relaxation of even a day in the days that followed.

I was so damn tired that I forgot the promise I had made to you. It came to the point that I wasn't able to talk to you for a whole month. Does that even make sense?

When you came back on a few days break, you were angry. And you had every right to be. I couldn't just go on ignoring you for months without notice.

We had our very first fight then. You lost your patience, one could only endure so much and shouted at me, and I shouted back, letting the exhaustion get the better of me. I regretted it so much afterwards.

I knew I was the one at fault. I was the one who chose my work over you, and I should've made it up to you.

But I couldn't. And it still haunts me to this day. What if I hadn't taken up that schedule to appear on the radio show? Or to appear on that variety show with Taemin? What if I had chosen to go to you instead and asked you to forgive me?

That's what life came down to be for me: a series of choices. And in your case Soojung, I very efficiently, always, made the wrong ones.