When it's the alcohol that's talking...

His Voice

 

Jinyoung is in a half awake, half asleep state while walking his way outside his and Jackson's shared bedroom.

Oversleeping has really became his hobby. Especially now, that they finished their first set of shows. The band was given a week of vacation, and boy does Jinyoung make the most out of it.

 

Once outside, he saw his bandmates, gathered around the kitchen counter while eating breakfast. It seemed like it's Bambam who cooked today, because he's still wearing an apron.

Since they're on vacation, waking the other members up is not needed anymore. Every morning, the one who gets up first will cook breakfast for everyone. And they have to save some food for whoever is the last person to wake up. That's an unwritten rule in the band.

 

"Bam, I really like your eggs!" Yugyeom said while eating a slice of Bam's sunny side up.

But the red haired just slapped the youngest's back who is completely taken by surprise due to the sudden attack. "Why?" Yugyeom even asked but Bambam just shook his head, his face beet red. "I just said that I like your eggs very much-"

"Jeez. Stop it with my eggs, already!"

And Jinyoung is now laughing while sitting down on a stool beside Youngjae. He just finds it hilarious, how the couple's conversation turned out.

 

Oh yeah about that. Jinyoung is calling Bambam and Yugyeom a couple because when he talked to the two youngest, they were honest about how they feel towards each other. And that made Jinyoung happy, that they trust him enough. Although the two are still not out about the real score between them, it's enough for Jinyoung to know that what they have is more than just physical intimacy. It involves feelings. Real ones.

 

"Jinyoung-ah!" Now it's Jackson who's loud, greeting him with his mouth full. 

"Yah, Jackson hyung! Table manners, please!" Youngjae complained beside him. "And good morning, Jinyoung hyung."

He greeted back at the younger. A second after, Mark's room opened and the drummer walked out with sleepy eyes. "You guys are too loud." The members apologized but the noise didn't lessen at all. Mark could just groan as he walked towards the counter.

 

Jinyoung smiled at him as the drummer sat in front of him. "Uh, good morning." Mark greeted. "Have you eaten?" The older asked while looking for his plate which he doesn't have since he still hasn't ate. Jinyoung shook his head.

"Oh, you still haven't?" Mark then stood up and headed towards the refrigerator. "Do you eat waffles?" 

Jinyoung smiled while nodding. "Yes, I do. It's my favorite!" Maybe he came out too cheerful, but he doesn't regret it, as soon as he saw a small smile grazing on the drummer's lips. 

He's used to it. Mark smiling, and hiding it from him. It's as if he's not entitled to see it. But it's fine with Jinyoung. As long as he's able to make the older smile a bit, even a smirk or a grin would do. Just not those cold stares.

Mark turned to get the box of belgian waffle mix from the refrigerator. "Okay then, I'll go make us some."

"Yah, Mark!" Jackson shouted, spitting bits of eggs in the process. There goes Youngjae's annoyed expression. He did remind the bassist of table manners. 

Mark turned to the blonde. The latter swallowed first before speaking again. "Why are you not asking me if I want waffles?" The drummer rolled his eyes. "It's because you're already eating."

Jackson continued to complain but Mark did a good job shutting him up.

 

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Jinyoung can't help but ask Jackson who is eyeing him for the past ten minutes. Yes, that long.

Jackson who is now finished eating leaned on the counter top. "What kind of spell is Mark under?"

Jinyoung scrunched his nose. "What spell are you talking about?"

"Well, if I'm the only one who has eyes then it's probably me only who can notice that Mark's attitude towards you turned 360 degrees." Jinyoung snorted but the bassist continued. "What happened that day? When you two were left here alone?"

Jinyoung decided to not answer, only making the other frustrated, until Mark finishes making the waffles.

 

"There is really something fishy here." Jackson seriously can't let it go. 

Mark and Jinyoung are still eating. Yugyeom and Bambam are sitting on the couch. Youngjae is eating cereals.

"What the hell is your problem this time, Jackson?" Mark spoke. "Is this still about the waffles, God. Go and make yourself one, then."

But Jackson just continued to give them the look. Jinyoung isn't sure what to call that kind of look and why Jackson is giving them that.

 

"First, you're asking him about eating. Second, you're smiling and talking to him without shouting or getting mad. And now, you made him waffles."

They all know him pertains to him, Jinyoung. But seriously, Jackson is making this such a big deal.

"So?" Mark asked nonchalantly.

"So?" Jackson repeated with the same tone. "What happened to I'll make your life hell Mark? All I see is Have you eaten Mark."

"Hey!" He now called on the other. "I thought you were on my side? Why do you want Mark to be like how he was with me again?"

"Something just doesn't add up." Before any of Mark or Jinyoung could talk, Jackson is speaking again. "Ever since you two ate breakfast together, things changed. Mark started going home with us. And the weirdest thing," Jackson is now facing Mark. "..you're not bringing any guy to our place anymore. No random hook ups or one night stands?"

Mark pretended like he's gonna hit Jackson. "You're talking like I'm -deprived, when I am not."

"Oh I know you aren't, but you're a maniac." Jinyoung almost choked on Jackson's words but the bassist is far from stopping. "Oh!" Jackson's eyes widened as if he just realized something. "Are you two, ing around with each other?"

And that did it for Jinyoung. He's now coughing. Thank God for Youngjae who is tapping his back.

 

Now, even Yugyeom and Bambam are all ears to their conversation.

"What the actual are you saying, Wang?" Mark is as shocked as he was, Jinyoung thinks. "How is that even possible when Jinyoung is sharing a room with you?"

"Would you like to switch rooms with me, then?"

" you!" Mark shouted as he threw a grape at Jackson who is only laughing. "He has a boyfriend." he said while looking at Jinyoung.

And as if on cue, Jinyoung's phone rang. It's Jaebum calling.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

"What are you working on?" Jinyoung asked Youngjae before sitting beside him. 

It was a lazy afternoon. 

Bambam and Jackson are on the couch playing some video games. Yugyeom is in his room, probably sleeping. Mark is watching the guys playing. And Youngjae is playing the piano.

 

"Oh, it's just a song that I finished writing." Youngjae handed him his music pad, where song lyrics were written. 

"Oh. Can I hear it?"

Youngjae smiled at him before playing.

 

    "When the days are cold
     And the cards all fold
     And the saints we see
     Are all made of gold"

Jinyoung already likes the melody. He listened some more as he reads the lyrics.

 

    "When your dreams all fail
     And the ones we hail
     Are the worst of all
     And the blood’s run stale

     I want to hide the truth
     I want to shelter you
     But with the beast inside
     There’s nowhere we can hide"

 

Soon enough, Jinyoung finds himself singing along with Youngjae.

     "No matter what we breed
     We still are made of greed
     This is my kingdom come
     This is my kingdom come

     When you feel my heat
     Look into my eyes
     It’s where my demons hide
     It’s where my demons hide
     Don’t get too close
     It’s dark inside
     It’s where my demons hide
     It’s where my demons hide"

 

"That was beautiful." 

The two of them looked at Mark who is now in front of them. 

"Youngjae, you wrote a really good song. And you sang it very well." Mark added.

"Oh Mark hyung, Jinyoung hyung also sang it good. His voice is perfect for this song." 

Now Mark is staring at him, and Jinyoung isn't sure why his palms felt like sweating. 

"Yeah you're right. His voice is perfect."

 

"Hyuuuuunnnggggsss!!!"

They were all bothered by Yugyeom who is calling them on his way towards the living room.

"Let's go eat barbecue. I'm craving for it!"

 

And because Yugyeom wants it, he now has it. Just kidding. They're eating barbecue becaue all of them missed eating korean barbecue.

They drove to Chosun Galbee - a korean barbecue restaurant.

And now, five servings of korean barbecue, four servings of cold noodles and twelve bottles of soju after, they are on this segment which Jackson preferred to call Fast Talk.

 

"Are you a top? Or a bottom?"

Jackson's question quickly sent Jinyoung's blood rushing to his face. Is it only him or the surrounding just got hotter?

Jackson's Fast Talk is more of a  Talk. All his questions were too vulgar, not to mention against one's privacy. But all the others were totally game and honest on answering the questions which kinda left Jinyoung with no other choice but to answer.

 

What's the question again? Is he a top or a bottom? Goodness gracious.

Jinyoung finished his soju before talking.

"It depends on the... mood. But... most of the times, well... well, I'm a top." 

And Jackson's squeal echoed though the walls of the restaurant. It's a good thing they're at the far end of the restaurant and there were not much costumers.

 

Jackson is still squealing, waving his hands frantically. "Why the does your answer ?!"

Mark then threw a bottle cap on the Chinese's head. "Hey! You ert!" The others just laughed. "If you'll continue being like that, I think Jinyoung should sleep in my room tonight. You're dangerous!"

But Jackson just stuck his tongue out. "And you're saying, he's safer with you? Huh, Tuan?!"

And now, Mark is strangling him.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jinyoung woke up when he felt someone tapping his leg. Then he heard Jackson waking him up.

 

"Jinyoung-ah," His face is etched with worry. "I think I owe you an apology."

Jinyoung sat up, while rubbing his eyes. "What? What for?"

"Uhm...well I didn't know that... your boyfriend didn't know that you're on a band."

Jinyoung's eyes flew open. He's now fully awake, alright. 

"H-he called, but you were sleeping so I answered and..." Jackson's eyes shifted from left to right. "I might've told him that we have a show later night and you're tired from rehearsing."

Jackson handed him his phone and Jinyoung felt like a bucket of cold water was poured on to him as he saw the number of missed calls from Jaebum.

"I'm really sorry, Jinyoung."

But he wasn't able to answer because he's now busy on calling his boyfriend. But to no avail. Jaebum isn't answering.

"." was all he could say.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

"Hon." 

Relief washed through Jinyoung as he was able to call Jaebum now.

 

The band just finished their show for the night, and Jinyoung tried calling his boyfriend again. After a couple of tries, thank goodness, he finally answered.

 

"Hon..." He said again after hearing nothing from the other line. But Jinyoung is sure he's there. "I'm sorry." he sighed. "I'm sorry if I kept it from you. About the band. But, you know that I really love music. I'm sorry if I didn't tell you but I know you'll be upset and I don't want that."

"And do you think I am not upset now, Jinyoung?"

Jaebum sounds serious. Too serious. He could only sigh again.

"I'm sorry. But I just... I just really wanted this. You know that."

"And you know what your dad wants. And what I want. If I'm important to you as you say, you'll do what I want."

Jinyoung felt silent. It's always like this when they argue. He knows he'll never win. He just sighed again. "Hon, I'm really sorry, but-"

"We cannot talk about this through phone." Jaebum interrupted him. "We have a lot of things to talk about. I'll fly there tomorrow. Then, we'll talk." and the call is ended.

Jaebum is going to L.A. 

Jinyoung doesn't know if he should be happy about it.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jinyoung is gazing over the streets of downtown L.A. 

It's past 2am and he still can't sleep. All that runs in his head is Jaebum going here, and how their talk will be.

 

"Jackson is a head, right?"

Mark is now beside him, leaning on the railings. He's holding a bottle of vodka and two glasses. The drummer handed him one and poured him a drink.

He nodded before drinking. There was silence.

 

"Jaebum is flying to L.A." Jinyoung stopped for a moment. "Tomorrow."

Mark's head cocked to the side. "Shouldn't you be happy, then?"

Jinyoung asked for another shot before speaking. Both him and Mark have their eyes towards the dark sky.

 

"He doesn't understand me." Jinyoung started off. "Jaebum never tried to understand me. This is who I am. This is what I want. But still, he refuses to understand that."

On the side of his eye, he can see Mark nodding his head. "So, you'll choose this band over him?"

With that, Jinyoung could only smile faintly. "No." even his laugh is bland. "I'm not choosing my dream over him. I'll just, give him time. Maybe when he see how much I love music, if he came to watch us play, maybe... maybe he'll change his mind and support me."

Mark poured himself a shot and drank it. "What if he doesn't?"

Jinyoung laughed at the drummer. "Are you always this negative?" 

"Life made me."

 

His answer came out too fast that it made Jinyoung silent. They were silent for a minute, before Jinyoung talked again.

"I don't know..." He answers the drummer's previous question. "But maybe I'll give this up. For him, I could give everything up. I'm just hoping that he could understand me but if he doesn't, then to hell with my dream. As long as I have him with me, that's more than enough."

 

Jinyoung didn't realize his answer was too mushy, not until he saw Mark shaking his head lightly, while smirking.

"One whipped man, that's what you are!"

Jinyoung just laughed as Mark continues to . Then he thought, this is nice. He felt a little closer to Mark. That's when he decided to get to know the older better.

 

"By the way..." Mark is now staring at him so he continued. "Why did you hate me so much from our very first meeting? You even threatened to make my life hell. What gives?"

Mark's eyes averted his before answering. "You... y-you remind me of someone." He drank another shot. "Someone I've been trying so hard, and still trying to forget."

This Mark he's talking with, is a different Mark. He's not the cold and distant Mark. Maybe it's the alcohol who's talking. But Jinyoung's glad to have this kind of conversation with the drummer.

 

Then he remembered. That song. That sad song he heard Mark singing.

 

"I've heard you singing." Jinyoung said. "That sad melody. The sad song you were singing that night...was that for him?"

A bitter smile crossed on the other's face. "You . Are you stalking me?" and they both find theirselves laughing.

They were almost finished with the vodka when Mark talked again.

 

"You know what's ty?" he's asking but Jinyoung didn't answer. He just listened. "I thought it was painful when he left. When...when he changed his mind and left me? The pain almost killed me."

Is it just him?

Is it because of the moonlight?

Or did he just see a tear escaping Mark's eye?

 

"But there's a much greater pain. I never thought I could hurt much more."

Mark stared back at him while emptying his glass. "Hey you! You already know a lot about me! Enough of that!"

Mark's words were slurry. He's drunk, alright. He almost finished the whole bottle. And Jinyoung thought he was the one with a big problem.

 

Jinyoung grunted as he struggled to put Mark to his bed. He's smaller than him, but he's heavier than he seems. Jinyoung's back aches.

He tucked the drummer into his bed. This was a long night. He needs to sleep.

 

But when he's about to leave, Mark grabbed his arm. When he looked, Mark still had his eyes closed.

Now, what is this?

 

"Don't..." Mark spoke. The older's hand reached for his, gently squeezing it. "Don't go, please." Jinyoung almost froze. "Please don't leave me........Jinwoo."

 

Jinwoo? Is he Mark's ex? 

Jinyoung stared at his hand, held by Mark's. It seems like he's not gonna be able to go anywhere, does he?

Jinyoung could only sigh.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jinyoung startled awoke. He's in Mark's room! And what time is it?

Thank God, it's only 7am. He didn't overslept. 

Carefully, he went outside Mark's room and inside his shared room with Jackson.

 

When he opened the door, he saw Jackson holding his phone. God, he left it again in their room.

"Jackson!" He called out. The Chinese is also surprised as he handed the phone back.

 

"Hey, I didn't do anything wrong. It's your fault! You left your phone here, again! And Jaebum called, again!"

Jinyoung felt his cold sweat upon seeing five missed calls from his boyfriend.

 

"Whete have you been anyway? Where did you sleep? Did you sneak out? And why-"

"Jackson!" He stopped the bassist from blabbering. "What did Jaebum say?"

Jackson sighed exasperatedly. "He said he'll be boarding his flight now and he wants you to fetch him from the airport." Jinyoung just nodded. "He asked where you were and I have to lie about you leaving early for rehearsals! I just saved your , man! And no thank you?"

Jinyoung rolled his eyes at the older. He still owes him after telling on Jaebum. If it wasn't for him, he won't have to deal with this problem. 

But yeah, Jackson did save his just now.

 

"Okay. Thanks a lot, head."

He didn't give Jackson a chance to say anything as he got his towel and headed to the restroom. 

 

Jaebum will arrive in more or less 13 hours. 

Why does that make him anxious?

 

◾◾◾◾◾◾◾

 

 

Annyeong!!! :)

 

It's soooo good to be back! I'll explain. Okay :) This week, I have been reporting to work, so I'm a bit busy. That's why I wasn't able to update on a daily basis.

we're still far from the end so, I'll be asking for your patience. The updates will not be coming regularly, but rest assured, a week won't pass without an update. 

is that okay? 

 

now for this chapter...what do you guys think? #WhatHappenedToMark is quite a topic hahaha. Share your thoughts by commenting! :*

 

And please subscribe and upvote if you still haven't! :) It'll mean a lot to me! :)

 

Toodles, sweeties! Let's meet on the next chapter! :*

 

 

<3 nicapark