Never

His Voice

 

Jinyoung heard Mark humming beside him. 

 

It's a lazy Sunday afternoon. Jinyoung could call it lazy because one, it's Sunday - probably the longest day of the week for him... for some reason, that is; two, they don't get to perform on shows until this coming Wednesday, and only the younger ones are enjoying the long break; and three... well actually, Jinyoung just tends to feel lazy whenever he's with Mark. He just feels like doing nothing but laying around.

 

Flipping through another page of Sidney Sheldon's The Other Side of Midnight - a classic 1973 novel, Jinyoung's attention was drawn again to his boyfriend who is lying with his stomach on the bed, his feet constantly swaying to and fro, while focusing on writing something on his notepad. 

Jinyoung could see how the afternoon sunlight striked those strands of fire red, slightly reflecting against it, creating a spectrum of reds and oranges across their bed's white sheets. He always loved Mark's brown hair. Since he had met Mark, he only has seen his hair's color ranging from brown to dark brown. But barely just a month ago, Mark decided on dying his hair red. It could be because just before Mark decided on changing his hair color, he has caught Jinyoung reading this korean fashion magazine, where the centerfold is a korean idol with red hair. Jinyoung might've said that he never thought red would look good on someone's hair. Mark might've hated his comment, and even accused him of harboring a crush on that certain idol.

Yes, Mark might've dyed his hair just so Jinyoung would stop eyeing someone else, but his boyfriend would always deny it. 

 

He heard another hiss from Mark, who is now biting the tip of the ballpen's cap. Jinyoung would lie if he says he doesn't quite enjoy the sight. His boyfriend trying his damnest to focus is the cutest ever. Jinyoung went back to reading, when he heard Mark finally singing softly.

 

"Baby you don’t have to rush,

You can leave a toothbrush

At my place

At my place"

 

Now, Jinyoung is listening to what Mark is singing. Hearing his soft voice as he sings is somewhat elating. This is how he feels whenever Mark is singing, because the older rarely does. But then again, it's always different when Mark is doing something, or anything. It's always been like that for Jinyoung. When others do it, it's normal, but when Mark does it, it just makes Jinyoung react differently.

"We don't need to keep it hush

You can leave a toothbrush

At my place

At my place..."

 

"Why'd you stop?" Jinyoung asked when Mark stopped singing abruptly. Now the drummer is just staring at his notepad like he is lost or something. "You were sounding real good. What's the matter?"

Jinyoung finally stopped reading and put the book on his side before leaning in towards Mark who is still staring blankly on the notepad. "What's the matter, babe?" Brushing his fingers through Mark's red locks, Jinyoung asked again, more softly this time.

After a couple of sighs, Mark put his pen down and met the younger's eyes. "I've ran out of lines." It came out like a whine. Mark surely seems like a little child most of the times. 

Jinyoung chuckled which made the older scowl. "Is that something to laugh about, Park Jinyoung?" Jinyoung tried to look serious.

"No, it's not. but your cute pout gets me everytime." He said, pinching on Mark's crinkled nose. His boyfriend is cute, Jinyoung is just stating a fact. Mark didn't say anything so Jinyoung just reached for the older's notepad. He read some of the lyrics. The writing was not really organized. Parts of the song were scattered all around the page which confused Jinyoung as to which is the chorus and the other verses were. But he could still say, Mark really has the talent in writing lyrics. 

 

"What's this song about?" He asked the drummer.

"About us." Mark answered without missing a beat, that only allowed Jinyoung to respond with a soft "oh". Mark then rolled on the bed, now he's facing the room's ceiling. "I wanted to write something about how our relationship is. Something that is real and easy to relate to, you know?" Jinyoung just nodded, but Mark isn't looking at him. "But I ran out of lyrics to write. I have the melody in my head, I just can't think of the best words to fit."

"Oh, babe. Maybe you just need to relax?" Jinyoung said with a slight shrug, his eyes still gazing on the older. "Writing song lyrics requires a free and flexible mind. You need to be free of certain thoughts that would not be helpful in the lyric writing." He felt Mark rolling on his side of the bed, now with his face towards him, slowly sitting up, completely facing him. "You just need to relax yourself and your mind and then you could get back to writing again."

"Yeah?" Mark hummed before leaning towards him, and touching his neck with his soft lips. Jinyoung could swear he felt twitch at that slight contact. "You think so, babe?"

Mark's soft and warm lips continued to leave wet kisses on his neck that it's making Jinyoung shiver. "U-uh... Mark?" The drummer just hummed against his neck. "What are you doing?"

Mark's hand is now at the hem of his shirt, with his lips still not leaving his sensitive skin. "You said I needed to relax, didn't you?"

"And you call this relaxing?" Jinyoung asked, finding Mark's answer incredulous. "You're trying to get me to you, and that's what relaxation means to you?"

With a slight chuckle, Mark's eyes started to mirror a different emotion. But although it's different, it's not foreign to Jinyoung. He has seen those kind of eyes on Mark more than a couple of times already. "We all have our own meaning of something, Jinyoung-ah. But... you got me mistaken for one thing."

Jinyoung just creased his forehead, while staring at the redhead. Mark smirked. "I will not be the one who'll get ed here, babe." He felt a slightly forceful push, before his back touched the bed. Pinning his hands on top of his head, Mark's smirk grew wider. "I'm afraid it's you."

 

*************

 

Jinyoung's breath heavied and became ragged as he reached his , bursting against his own stomach. Mark showed no mercy. His hands were not skillful for nothing. God that surely felt like heaven.

Now, Jinyoung felt the warmth coming from the blanket Mark used to cover them both up. Jinyoung felt spent after the second round he and Mark had. like he said, Mark showed no mercy. It's always like this whenever Mark tops. Mark rarely tops. Often times, the drummer just gets to top when Jinyoung is too drunk to do so. So he just submits to anything Mark wants. That would explain why Mark acts all too agressively when given the chance to top. Jinyoung oughts to give it to him.

 

"This is why I think I should always top, babe." Mark is now murmuring against his ears, while still lying on top of him. Jinyoung's chest went up and down, still trying to even his breathing.

"That is still debatable, babe." Jinyoung begs to differ. His hand made its way to Mark's red locks, playing with it as he kissed his boyfriend's damp forehead. "But I sure do hope, this really helped you to relax as you said." Jinyoung didn't hear anything close to an answer, aside from Mark's cute laugh.

 

It was a minute after when the drummer did speak. "So I was thinking..." Jinyoung just hummed, his hand still playing with the older's hair. "Is this how things are going to be whenever we're having ?" Jinyoung could almost roll his eyes. Right now, Mark is really sounding like a -deprived slash -maniac person like what Jackson has said before. Mark looked up to him, meeting his judging eyes. "Shouldn't we make a schedule like, during Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, I top? And Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, I'm all yours for the taking?"

This cracked Jinyoung up. Mark really is something. He couldn't even imagine that they'll ever have this kind of conversation. "Are you seriously implying that we have every single day of the week, Mark?" 

This time, Mark looked heavenwards, in an attempt to feign an innocent look, but no, Jinyoung knows better. "Uhm.... maybe..."

Jinyoung finally broke into laughter as he sat up, resting his back on the head rest, and crossing his arms. "You are unbelievable, Mark."

Mark also sat up on his kness, facing the younger who is combing his messy after hair with his hand. "Well, okay then we can talk about this some other time, but that wouldn't stop me from still asking."

Jinyoung's brows formed a single line as he stared at the drummer who is reaching for something on the bedside table. "Ask what?" When Mark looked back at him, he is already holding a brushed titanium band. "Mark? W-what is this?"

Despite his shaking insides and his quivering lips, he could see how a proud smile crossed Mark's face as he held the ring nearer to his face. "It doesn't really matter if you let me top or not. I'm not here for the , but for something which is bound to last a lifetime... well okay, a bit for the to be honest.. but, anyway, what I am trying to say is.... I've grown impatient of waiting for you to pop the damn question. So I took the liberty of purchasing this expensive ring, don't even ask me how much it had cost me." Reaching for his hand, Mark continued. "Jinyoung-ah, my love, I already got the ring, and all you need to do is say yes."

Jinyoung almost found it hard to grasp the whole situation. It was all too sudden. He didn't expect this,really. Not when things are still this messy. 

 

But looking at Mark's eyes, full of love and sincerity, it makes Jinyoung want to turn his back against those other things he worries about. It makes him realize that those things don't matter. As long as he has Mark, he could face the world, while holding his hand.

Jinyoung pursed his dry lips. "You really do in timing." Refusing to give Mark a chance to react, he reached for the older's face and pulled it closer to his, crashing their lips together. "But yes, I would still want to marry you. If... that's what you were asking."

"Yes? So it's a yes, then?" Jinyoung nodded excitedly as he sees Mark's face lighting up before finally shouting on the top of his lungs. 

 

Soon enough, they heard the door clicking open, revealing Jackson, Yugyeom, Bambam and Youngjae who were all wearing big smiles, letting Jinyoung realize that those four knew this was going to happen.

 

"Final-ing-ly, Tuan!" It was Jackson who went in first. He's smiling widely but as soon as he sees both of them, he immediately turned away almost too suddenly. "What the actual ?!"

The three younger members were also doing the same. They're all covering their eyes. Jinyoung could only laugh at his friends' embarrassed faces. 

"Hyung, what is this?" Bambam whined.

"My innocent eyes!" Yugyeom chimed in.

"I'm just gonna pretend I didn't see anything, I'm out!" Youngjae said before turning towards the door, leaving the others behind. Yugyeom was also dragged by Bambam and headed outside their room.

 

"Ouch!" Mark shouted when a slipped hit his shoulder. "What's your problem?" He shouted at the chinese.

"You , said you're only going to propose. I thought having was not in the context!" 

"Didn't say that."

"You're ing worst at timing!" 

Jinyoung could only laugh at the bickering of the two best friends.

 

************

 

"Eommeoni, Mark just proposed to me." Jinyoung smiled as he gladly showed his ring to the old woman who stood as his mother for the time he stayed in Busan. 

 

The six of them all went to visit Mrs. Kang in the homecare. She's still taken care of, but according to the doctors, the old lady is showing signs of recovery. Jinyoung could attest to that since Mrs. Kang started calling him Jinwoo and has been calling him that since then. Mrs. Kang remembers him now, Jinyoung is happy.

The old lady reached for Jinyoung's hand and stared at the ring. "I am happy, son." The lady said. "For I know what both of you has gone through. I know how much you loved each other, and how you both held on to that love." Squeezing his hand gently, Mrs. Kang continued, with her glassy eyes. "Jinyoung, you deserve this. You deserve Mark and Mark deserves you. It's just how it is. I am beyond happy."

Those words tugged on the corners of Jinyoung's heart. Biting his lips as he tried to smile, Jinyoung pulled Mrs. Kang into his arms, embracing her fully. He couldn't thank her enough, but Jinyoung knows his action speaks as much as the words he wanted to say.

 

 

They were all eating the food they prepared, together with Mrs. Kang, when Jackson's phone rang.

 

"Hey, Jaebum." This is not new. Jackson has been keeping in touch with Jaebum, he knows that. But something is different now. Especially when he saw how Jackson tried to fight the smile which is grazing on his lips. He's trying real hard to hide that smile, but it still shows. 

And the teasing of the younger members, didn't help. It only made Jackson blush, and boy was it a sight. 

 

He fell hard. 

Jinyoung knows that.

 

And he is happy.

 

************

 

"Stuck in a limbo, half hypnotized

Each time I let you stay the night,

Stay the night

 

Up in the morning

Tangled in sheets

We play the moment on repeat, on repeat"

 

Jinyoung sang while glancing at his back where Mark is singing too, accompanying his voice. Mark did it. He finally finished the song, and now is the first time they're performing it in front of the crowd.

 

"When you're standing there in your underwear

and my t-shirt from the night before

with your messed up hair

and your feet still bare

would you mind closing the bedroom door..."

 

Their eyes met once again, and how he bit his lips simultaneously with Mark biting his also. He's enjoying this. Well, they are both enjoying this.

 

"Cause I just, I just can't let you go

Give me something I never know

So baby, you don't have to rush

You can leave a toothbrush

at my place

at my place..."

 

The crowd loved the song. Everyone could attest to that. And this made Jinyoung feel even more prouder. That's his boyfriend right there, who wrote that song. If it's not something to be proud of, then he doesn't know what is.

 

"Thank you!" Jackson said through the microphone as they ended tonight's set. "You guys were awesome, just like always!"

The other members also said their thanks to the audience. Jinyoung just finished his and waited for Mark's when he heard a shift on his boyfriend's tone. "May I have your attention, please?" Jinyoung glanced at Mark who just gave him a brief smile and nod before facing the crowd again. "You guys had always been the best fans. You were all so loving and supportive. You understood us and accepted us despite all our flaws and shortcomings. You guys are like family to us. And family doesn't hide secrets from one another. If something bad happens or something good happens, you should share it to your family." Mark heaved a deep sigh. "So that is why I am telling you about this."

Now, Jinyoung is staring at Mark who still has his eyes directed to the crowd. "Recently, something beyond good has happened to me." The drummer started. "I never thought it would happen, but... it did. The man I loved and lost, has returned to me." Once, twice. Jinyoung felt his heart thump as Mark's eyes met his. "And not wanting to let him go again, I asked him to marry me..." Collective aww's and oohh's were heard all around. "... and he said yes."

With his mind swirling in frenzies, Jinyoung now sees Mark walking his way towards him, reaching for his hand which wears the ring and held it up to show to everyone. "Everyone, me and Jinyoung are finally getting married."

 

The cheers only got louder. Everyone was cheering and clapping, showing them support. It warms Jinyoung's heart. To have a whole lot of someone's to accept him, and Mark, being together. 

Pulling him towards his chest, Mark whispered. "I love you so much, Jinyoung." Although he wasn't able to answer because of the lump on his throat, Jinyoung knows the way his arms tightened around Mark is enough to tell the older likewise.

 

 

"Congratulations, Mark hyung, Jinyoung hyung!"

 

They were now on their booth, and the other members are still congratulating them. Jinyoung just can't stop on smiling. He's still getting butterflies on his stomach even after everything that has happened. Sitting back, he just made himself comfortable with Mark's arm draped around his shoulder.

"Where is Jackson, anyway?" Mark asked when he noticed that the bassist is not with them.

"Probably on the phone." Jinyoung just smirked at Youngjae's response. He already knows what Youngjae was trying to say, What is really going on with those two? He thinks of asking but... maybe he should just wait until Jackson tells about it, himself.

 

As if on cue, Jackson has returned to their booth. "Jinyoung-ah." The bassist called to him so he nodded. "There's someone who wants to congratulate you."

When Jackson stepped aside, Jinyoung saw Jaebum stepping in. "Hey." He's wearing a casual sleeved shirt, along with dark pants. Even outside of work, Jaebum still looks formal. "So..."

Without wasting a chance, Jinyoung stood up and approched the older and wrapped him in a short hug. It should be short, because Mark might say something against it. "I didn't know you were coming."

"I only told Jackson." 

He gave him a meaningful look before speaking again. "So you went here just to congratulate me?" Jinyoung asked, quirking his eyebrow. But Jaebum smiled at him warmly.

"That's one reason." Jaebum said a casually. "But there's someone else who wants to congratulate the two of you."

 

And the next person Jinyoung saw was the last person he expected to see. The last person he expected to go all the way from Korea to here in L.A., and to what? To congratulate him? Is he hallucinating?

 

"D-dad..." It was all he could mutter as he stared at the grey haired man in front of him. "W-why are you... w-what..." He cannot form the right words to ask his father why he's here. 

Five months ago, after flying back here in L.A., he hasn't talked to his dad again. When he chose to go back to Mark, Jinyoung has accepted that, it meant losing his dad; never seeing him again. 

But now, he is here.

 

"Son..." his dad's voice came out too soft that it made Jinyoung's heart clench. "I am sorry."

He never expected to hear these words from the great Park Dong Man. Despite everything that has happened, Jinyoung never heard his dad apologize. Even after his mom died, and he blamed his dad for it, he never did apologize. It made him think that apology is not in his dad's vocabulary. After everything he has done, not once did his dad say sorry to him.

"Jinyoung... my son... I really am sorry." 

But Jinyoung just stood there, failing to form words that would answer to his father's apology. "I know a simple sorry won't ever cover everything I did which ruined you, our family and those people you have loved. I have never been a good father to you and a good husband to your mom. I am really sorry, son. I failed to see things past my own desires and needs. My selfishness and greed destroyed us as a family. I know, I won't be able to justify all my wrong doings. But I just want you to know that I finally realized everything. How wrong I was, how miserable I have made you. I just want you to know that, from now on, even if you don't accept my apology, I will finally let you go do the things you love and be with the person you love. I won't ever try to hurt you again, son."

His father's shaking hands reached for his. "I am here to say to you, and to you Mark..." His father looked past his shoulder, to Mark who is behind him. "That I am giving my blessing, that you Mark take my son's hand for marriage. You've always loved him more, and even better than I did and could. I don't deserve a son like him, but you deserve my son above anyone else. I know you won't hurt him like I did, countless times. You've given him the love I have failed to give." Jinyoung wasn't able to move as he listened to what his dad is saying to Mark. "I am wishing you both all the happiness. I will never stand in between the two of you again. I am giving you my word."

 

Jinyoung wasn't able to utter a single word to his dad, even after all the things he had said. It was just too much for him to digest.

 

But when his dad turned his back on them to leave, he saw Mark walk past him to follow his father. Now Mark is standing in front of his dad. With a curt bow, Mark spoke. "Thank you, sir." They were all watching Mark as he talked to his dad. "I am hoping you could come to our wedding, so you could send Jinyoung off to the altar yourself? I don't think anyone else deserves to do that other than you, sir."

Staring back, Jinyoung never thought he could fall even further. But Mark continues to prove him otherwise.

He could just smile as he saw how his dad gave a thankful smile to Mark, patting his shoulder lightly.

 

************

 

Mark is still mesmerized by how Jinyoung's eyes were sparkling as they dance through their wedding song. 

 

All the other guests were watching them, the newly wedded couple, dancing at the center of the ballroom. They're the center of everyone's attention, but for Mark, Jinyoung is.

Bringing his hand up to tuck Jinyoung's stray hair behind his ear, Mark sang along to the song being played...his song for Jinyoung, his love.

 

"I will never let you fall

I'll stand up with you forever

I'll be there for you through it all

Even if saving you sends me to heaven..."

 

Who would have thought that they'll still end up together? That young boy who he used to despise, just because he didn't take off his shoes and walked mercilessly across the floor he just finished mopping? 

That young stubborn boy who refused to accept those new rubber shoes, which he worked hard for just to buy? He sacrificed working late at night just to save enough money to buy those shoes, but the stubborn young boy just ignored it?

He hated him then.

Even more so when he realized he is starting to fall for the younger. How did he do that? Making him fall? 

 

Mark nuzzled against his husband's neck as they swayed to the beat. His arms protectively wrapped around Jinyoung, afraid to let go. He is never letting go. Losing him once caused him pain. The thought of losing him again almost killed him. He doesn't think letting go would be an option for him, ever in this lifetime, or even in the lifetime to come.

For him, there's only Jinyoung. And it's bound to stay that way.

 

In life, people come and go. You can't expect people to wait for you and you can never force them to stay. It's not just love which makes someone stay with someone. Second chances are rare. Most people doesn't get to have that. But if you do, you have to fight for that chance.

Mark learned that, loving someone and fighting to keep someone are two different things. Second chances do exist but you'll not get as much chances as you want. True love exists but you have to be brave and strong, for you to keep it.

After everything that has happened, Mark only realized that it is not destiny that brings people closer or tears people apart. It's their decision.

 

And his decision, is to never let go of Jinyoung again.

 

 

"Hey Mark..." Jinyoung is now clinging to him oh so tightly. "Markeu-yah... Markie... Markiepooh... babyyyyy..." 

Okay. His husband is drunk.

 

He promised to have only a few shots. But when did he ever learn to control himself?

 

Just then, Mark felt something in his brain, lighting up. An idea. 

Like he said, chances are rare. And goodness gracious, the heavens are on his side right now. WOW. It's their honeymoon night, and Jinyoung getting drunk just adds to the night's excitement.

 

Glancing back at their friends, Mark signalled that him and Jinyoung would head upstairs to their room. The guys all gave him a meaningful look. But Yugyeom and Bambam just gave him two thumbs up.

 

Mark felt excited. It's very rare that he tops. And this is a golden opportunity for him. And maybe a lesson for Jinyoung to never let himself get drunk.

 

 

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●

 

Annyeong?!!! *waves hands frantically*

 

How have you guys been? It's been more than a month since I completed this fic but, as you recall... some are still requesting for MarkJin's POV. So.... here it is. Are you happy? Tbh, I ran out of ideas in writing this special chapter. I hope you did like this.

 

I am excited to read your comments. Please leave one. :) :*

 

So, this will be the end for His Voice. Thank you soooo much for supporting this, and even reading this chapter. Bless you! <3

 

Hoping to see you guys in my other fics!

 

Toodles!

 

<3 nicapark