The Normalcy

His Voice

 

Jinyoung woke up in a snap. His head almost felt like spinning after the sudden jolt. He reached for his phone which was on the table beside him and checked on the time. 9:00. It's already nine in the morning. He overslept.

No wonder, Jackson is not on his side of the bed anymore. Normally, Jinyoung wakes up earlier than the bassist. But now, he's gone. 

 

Jinyoung sat up and tidied his messy bedhair and wore his slippers before deciding on going outside the bedroom.

 

As soon as he was outside, he was welcomed by the sight of a topless Jackson, cooking something on a frying pan. He has an apron on, though.

 

"Good morning?" Jinyoung greeted as he walked towards the kitchen counter. 

"Good morning to you too, my sleep deprived friend!" The bassist greeted him, more cheerfully. Jinyoung could only agree. Recently, he's been really deprived of sleep. Jackson, since he's his roommate, knows it best. "Come on down, I'm cooking breakfast."

He's excited, but Jinyoung isn't. When the guys cook breakfast, it's only bacon, eggs and fried rice. Unlike when Jinyoung does. He lets them taste food that will remind them of home. 

 

"What made you cook?" Jinyoung asked while sitting down on a stool. 

Jackson was trying to transfer the fried egg on the plate. "Well, I know you haven't been getting enough sleep so I didn't wake you, and the others are still in deep slumber and I'm already hungry so I cooked, thank you very much."

He's still watching the older struggling and eventually ended up ruining the egg yolk. "Oh, fck it. Fck sunny side up. Fck life." And Jinyoung could only laugh which earned a glare from the guy. "Hey you, stop laughing and wake those lazy a*sed punks!"

"Why me?" Jinyoung wanted to protest but Jackson just gave him a stern look. "Okay, then." He stood up and went to the guys' bedrooms.

 

He opened the door of the bedroom shared by the two guitarists. It's not his first time to see the room, it's the biggest among all the rooms.

 

"Hey guys, breakfast is -" Jinyoung almost froze at what he was seeing right now.

 

Bambam and Yugyeom are still lying on their bed, facing each other. Yugyeom's arm is draped around Bambam's bare shoulder. While Bambam's leg is on top of Yugyeom's. The blanket is barely covering the two, only letting Jinyoung see that the two were actually underneath.

Jinyoung is not that stupid to think that they're sleeping in that position as bestfriends.

What the freaking sht is all that runs in Jinyoung's head. But before he could recover, Yugyeom is already waking up.

 

"Hyung?" It was confusion at first before it turned into panic. Yugyeom's eyes are now huge, probably bigger than Jinyoung's. Wow. He didn't expect this. Now, the way Jackson teased them made sense to Jinyoung.

"Uh... breakfast is served." was all Jinyoung could say. "Come out when you're...uhm...when..when you're ready." Then he turned to leave.

As he closed the door, he heard Jackson laughing. He looked at him and saw the older smirking.

"Now you know what kind of horror I am seeing every morning!"

Jinyoung could only shake his head as he walked towards the next room, Youngjae's. The younger is sleeping alone, he knows that. But just to be sure, he decided to knock first.

 

"Youngjae?" He called out with another knock. He heard a "come in!" so Jinyoung opened the door.

"What's it, hyung?" Youngjae asked while removing his eye mask and scratching his head.

"Breakfast is ready. Jackson said to wake you guys up so we can eat."

Youngjae nodded, still with his eyes closed so Jinyoung nodded too and left the room.

 

The last guy that he needs to wake up, is Mark. Jinyoung tried to shake off the thoughts in his head. Thoughts of last night. How he was awoken by a certain kind of noise. He should've been used to it. Ever since they started playing, Mark didn't miss on bringing a guy to their place.

And ever since, Jinyoung is always woken up by the same reason. Mark's voice echoing the walls of the room. The creaking sound, and the sound of something falling and sometimes breaking. He hears everything. And Jinyoung having quite an imagination is not helping.

He always wondered if he's the only one hearing those sounds. But last night, when he heard Jackson said "You'll get used to it, someday.", he figured that the other guys also hear it, but choose to not mind.

 

Jinyoung inhaled before knocking on Mark's door. He wasn't answering so he knocked once again. He heard a grunt before a "It's open!". Another deep breath, before Jinyoung went inside.

The first thing he saw were clothes. Mark's clothes, he presumed. A couple of worn shirts were on the floor. Then the shoes, near the bed. Packs of chips on the side table. Socks and a used towel on top of the bed.

To say that the room was messy, is an understatement. It's like a jungle in here, Jinyoung could only think.

 

"What?" A half awake Mark is asking. 

"Uhm, Jackson cooked breakfast and asked me to wake you guys up." Jinyoung said with eyes still roaming around the room, looking for any sign of life.

"What are you looking at?" Mark who is now sitting up on the bed, has his arms crossed and forehead creased.

"I actually am not sure..." Jinyoung mumbled.

"What did you say?" the drummer asked, more impatient this time.

"Nothing...it's just..." Mark is looking at him as if daring him to say his thoughts out loud. And that made Jinyoung do just that. "It's so messy in here."

He can't help it. Jinyoung likes keeping things organized and neat. He had this same problem with Jaebum in their first few months living together. But, as what he sees, Mark is much worse.

"Really? Then why don't you clean it?" Mark challenged him.

"Yeah, maybe I should." Jinyoung answered back before turning towards the door. "Come on out so we can eat breakfast."

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

They were eating what Jackson has cooked. 

Jinyoung could feel Yugyeom and Bambam staring at him but when he looks back, they will withdraw theirs. He gets it. They're embarrassed. Maybe their relationship, or whatever that is that they have, is a secret. Well, Jackson knows for sure but, as for Youngjae and Mark...Jinyoung is not sure. 

Maybe I should talk to them later...Jinyoung thought. He doesn't want the two younger members to be awkward around him.

 

Jackson was being hit by Youngjae after making fun of his pronunciation, when Jinyoung heard his phone ringing.

He was surprised to see that it's Jaebum, calling through facetime. His heart automatically picked up its pace as he answered.

 

Soon enough, he was greeted by his handsome boyfriend in a white coat.

 

"Hi hon, I suppose it's a good morning there?" 

Jinyoung immediately smiled. He miss him. "Yeah it is. And it's..."

"It's my lunchbreak here." Jaebum continued. "How are you? And I miss you, by the way."

Jinyoung loves it when Jaebum says it first. He was about to say I miss you too when suddenly Jackson squeezed his face next to him for Jaebum to see.

"Hi, Jinyoung's boyfriend! I'm Jackson!" 

Jinyoung turned the phone away making Jackson pout. He only excused himself and went towards the living room.

"Jackson? Who's that?" Jaebum is now asking him.

"He's one of my new found friends here in L.A. I'm staying at their place."

 

After a couple of minutes, they have to end the call, since Jaebum's breaktime is already finished.

When Jinyoung returned, Jackson is all over him, saying "Your boyfriend is one hot looking surgeon!"

That got the others agreeing. Yugyeom got hit in the arm by Bambam for saying "Oh that's right" too loud. Youngjae just laughed and warned Jinyoung about Jackson out to steal his boyfriend, which then the bassist complained. "Hey, I'm not like that!". They were all laughing, but Jinyoung's eyes met Mark's which gives nothing but a cold stare.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

"God, what kind of life is he living?"

Jinyoung grunted as he picked up the worn shirts from the floor. 

 

When Mark left for the gym, Jinyoung decided to clean the drummer's room. He suggested it anyway. And the guy needs it. 

He put all the worn clothes in the bin, and the unworn ones back in the closet. The guy should be taught what cleanliness means.

His last destination, is Mark's bed. Does the guy, even bother to fix his bed? He thinks not. Jinyoung removed the socks and the used towel off the bed before fluffing its bedding.

But as he did, he saw something fall off the bed and roll under it. 

Jinyoung knelt down to reach for it which appeared to be a bottle.

 

Slippery Stuffs he read the brand. Jinyoung felt his cheeks burning but immediately slapped himself for acting coy.

Of course Mark has one. Even he, has one. It's normal. It's a necessity when doing the deed. He's not ignorant in these things.

So Jinyoung just walked towards Mark's drawer to put the bottle of lube. But when he opened the first drawer, he saw something which caught his attention.

He doesn't know why but he took it and held it out, staring at it. It's a bright red colored underwear. Jinyoung just can't believe Mark is wearing one. 

And why is he bothered by it?

 

Just then, the door opened revealing a sweaty Mark. Figures, he just came from the gym. 

Out of instinct, Jinyoung quickly put the underwear back inside the drawer and closed it.

 

"What are you doing?" Mark asked slowly, emphasizing every word.

He swallowed before answering. "I was cleaning your room."

"Who told you to do-" Mark stopped as if realizing something. Because yes, the older said that. Mark cleared his throat. "I wasn't even serious."

"Well..h-how was I to know?" Jinyoung stuttered. "Anyway, it is needed to be done anyway. I just did you a favor." His eyes shifted from left to right. "Uh, I'll go now."

Jinyoung moved almost as fast as lightning. But before he could leave, he heard the drummer speak.

 

"That was not mine." Jinyoung turned to him with a puzzled look. His eyes averted the younger for a second, before staring back again. "The underwear. It's not mine."

Oh. Okay. Jinyoung just nodded, not knowing what he had to say anyway, then turned to finally get out of the room.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

"Bye hon, I will call you again tomorrow. I miss you." He avoided those brown eyes. "I love you." 

After ending the call with his boyfriend, Jinyoung turned to look at Mark again, who kept his eyes on him all throughout his conversation with Jaebum.

 

It was weird. Let alone, awkward. The way he's staring at him like he's doing something wrong? Why is that? Did he even look at Mark like that despite catching him a couple of times, making out in public? What gives?

 

"We can all fit inside my car." Jinyoung said after Jackson asked for them to go home.

"Yugyeom and Bambam can go with me."

Not only him was surprised when Mark said that. "Oh, hyung. You're not... going home with... someone?" Even Youngjae is.

But Mark shrugged. "You and Jackson can go with him." points at him. "Yugyeom and Bambam will go with me."

 

It probably is the first time, Mark hasn't brought someone with him. It's also the first time that they all went home together.

Jinyoung was a bit relieved. Knowing that he might get a good sleep tonight. Well, except if Bambam and Yugyeom will get too loud. He hopes not.

 

But then again, Jinyoung was awakened by something. It was around 2 a.m. when he heard someone playing the piano. 

He finally had peace from Mark. But now, there's Youngjae?

Jinyoung got out of the bed and headed outside. He was ready to scold Youngjae who is probably in the living room, playing the piano.

But once outside, he saw the person he least expected to see.

 

Mark was playing the piano. Jinyoung didn't know he could even play the piano. But now he's watching him.

He's playing a really sad melody. His eyes were closed, completely immersed in what he's playing.

 

"You told me you love me, so why did you go away?"

The drummer sang. 

 

Jinyoung could feel the sadness emanating from Mark's voice. The moonlight is slightly glowing on the side of his face, making him look even lonelier. He wanted to go closer, but then Mark stopped playing.

 

"." The older muttered before going back inside his room.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

He overslept again. This time, Jinyoung is awoken by the noise coming from the living room. He even heard Bambam shouting at Yugyeom, something like "Hurry up!".

Jinyoung looked at his phone to check the time. 10 a.m. Waking up early has been a struggle for him, these past few days.

Normally, he has Jaebum to wake him up during lazy mornings. But now, he has no one to do just that for him.

 

After wearing his slippers, he went outside. There he saw Youngjae all dressed and about to head outside the door. "Bye guys!" then he saw him. "Oh, bye also Jinyoung hyung. I'll be back tonight." then he's gone.

"Yugyeom hurry up, you brat! I don't want to be caught up in a traffic!" Bambam is shouting again at Yugyeom who just got out of their room while wearing his shoes.

"Alright! Alright!" The youngest whined. "It's not as if the clothes will run out!"

Bambam grabbed his arm. "It's a sale, nitwit. They might run out!"

Without saying goodbye or anything, the two were gone.

 

Jinyoung was just standing there when Jackson appeared from the kitchen. 

"Oh, Jinyoung. You're awake!" The bassist is all dressed too. "Did you eat already?"

Jinyoung shook his head. "Where is everybody going?"

Jackson sat on the couch as he wears his shoes. "Youngjae will go to this music show with his sister, Yugyeom is dragged by Bambam to go shopping and I, well I'm off to meet with my other friends."

"You're all leaving?"

The older stood up and fixed himself. "Yes we are. But we'll all be back before tonight's show." Jackson tapped his back. "Go and eat breakfast."

"But all of you already ate."

"Mark is still here." Jackson pointed towards the kitchen where Mark actually is, seated by the kitchen counter. "Go and eat with him. I need to go, bye!"

 

Soon enough, it was only him and Mark left.

Jinyoung looked at the drummer, who was also looking at him. Why does he always has that expression? Would it hurt to smile? God. This guy is acting like a smile will cost him a million or something.

 

"Have you eaten?" 

The older asked without looking at him. Was he even talking to him? But then Mark's eyes met his, with brows shot up. Okay. He should answer.

"N-not yet."

Mark continued eating. "Then go and eat."

Oh. Right. Jinyoung made his way towards the kitchen. He'll just fry an egg. That'll be better than an empty stomach.

 

"What are you doing?" He stopped after hearing him. Mark is now facing him with his furrowed eyebrows.

"Uhm. I'll cook?" Jinyoung sounded unsure.

He heard the older hiss before pushing the plate with bacon and fried eggs towards him. "I already did."

He can see that. But, Jinyoung is thinking, what is Mark saying? 

"Just eat with me."

 

Is this real? He thought. Mark is asking him to eat together? Doesn't he hate him? Jinyoung is confused.

But maybe because Jinyoung was staring for too long, Mark rolled his eyes. "I just hate eating alone." 

Slowly, Jinyoung walked towards the counter and sat on a stool.

Mark handed him a plate with fork and spoon, while wearing a poker face. Is this guy made to be void from emotions?

"It only makes me feel that I really am alone."

 

The way Mark said that...it probably made Jinyoung say those words. 

 

"But you're not." He stared at those cold eyes. "You have me."

 

If this was like the normal times, Jinyoung wouldn't have said that. 

If this was like the normal times, Mark would've snapped at him already.

 

Jinyoung doesn't know how and why things are happening the way they were, right now. But he knows he doesn't want it the other way.

This is nice. Far from normal, but nice.

 

"Yeah, right." Mark said.

Jinyoung swore, he saw his smile before it vanished. Mark smiled. At him.

 

And why does a part of him kind of wants to see it again? He wants to make Mark smile like that again.

 

Because that smile, well that's quite a change in the normalcy of the things between them, but... he'll be lying if he says he didn't like seeing it.

 

◾◾◾◾◾◾◾

 

Annyeong!!! :)

 

I've noticed I've been writing longer chapters now. Hahaha. But it's a good thing. . . . . . . right?

 

Anyway, how do you find this chapter? Am I boring you guys or what? Please let me know by commenting! :)

If it isn't too much to ask, please subscribe and upvote also!! :* <3

 

Toodles! See you next chapter!

 

 

<3 nicapark