Befuddled

His Voice

         ••°''°*•~•*°''°••°''°*•~•*°''°••°''°*•~•*°''°••°''°*•~•*°''°••

                              be•fud•dle  (verb)

                              :to make someone unable to think clearly

         ••°''°*•~•*°''°••°''°*•~•*°''°••°''°*•~•*°''°••°''°*•~•*°''°••

 

 

"You seriously don't have to try so hard."

Jackson told him after sitting down on the stool by the kitchen counter.

Jinyoung just finished cutting the whole onion and put it on top of the beef inside the pot.

 

"Jackson, I'm just cooking dinner." He said once more after adjusting the stove to a medium heat.

 

It's almost dinner time and since Jinyoung is already done fixing his things inside his newly shared room with Jackson, he decided to cook a nice dinner for all six of them.

He opted to cook seolleontang (ox bone soup), but of course fried kimchi is not off the menu. He also prepared bulgogi and japchae. He hopes to God that the guys will like it, no one in particular, just everyone. Jinyoung's eyes darted towards the closed door across them. Will he like it? He shrugged it off his head.

 

Jackson propped his elbow on the counter top and rested his chin on his hands. "But we often order food out. None of us cooks food, as in real food."

"What? No one can?" 

"Nah. Actually Bambam can, but we're just always too tired to do unimportant things like cooking."

Jinyoung could only snicker at what the bassist said. Unimportant, he says.

"How about you?" He glanced at Jackson who's asking him something. "How did you learn how to cook?"

Jinyoung stirred the beef for a bit before answering.

 

"I was kind of forced to learn it." He casually said. "Jaebum just won't say yes to moving in with me unless he makes sure that I can feed him. He said he loves me but he most certainly not want to go starving." and he could only laugh at the memory. It took him almost six months on convincing Jaebum to move in with him.

Jinyoung found Jackson smiling while eating a bit of the kimchie he just cooked.

"Well, sounds to me that Jaebum is one smart guy. Stomach over heart. Wow." The older said after finishing a bite. He stopped eating before Jinyoung could remind him that the kimchi is for their dinner. "And it also sounds like you love him very much, correct me if I am wrong."

Jinyoung thinks his smile is enough to verify Jackson's statement.

 

"How long have you been together?" Jackson asked him.

"For almost four years, actually."

"Oh. That's quite a foundation you have. Why aren't you still getting married?" 

 

The question reminded Jinyoung of his pending responsibilities. He and Jaebum already talked about marriage. But taking over the company is his top set priority, as said by his father. Jaebum understands and agrees that it'll be best if they get married once the company is already stable on the palm of his hands.

 

"We have plans." He answered, not too far fetched from reality. "But not just yet. We're still busy in our own careers."

"What is your boyfriend's job anyway?"

"He's a surgeon." and that earned an impressed look from Jackson. Yeah, he's dating a surgeon. Sounds cool, isn't it? "How about you?" he asked back.

"Are you asking about my lovelife?" Jackson asked with a hand on his chest.

"No, silly. I don't want you to go drunk rumbling again about your ex." Jinyoung said to which the other just shrugged about.

"Good decision." 

"I was asking about your job. I mean, aside from the band, what else are you up to?" 

If he's in the band, he might as well get to know s better.

"Nothing else, actually. Ever since we debuted and started working our a*ses off, all we ever did were shows and gigs. That's all." Jackson's lips curled up, as if he was thinking of something. "But I did finish college. I have a degree on Sports Management."

Jinyoung nodded his head. "What about the others?"

"Bambam and Yugyeom are taking online courses. Yugyeom's the same as mine while Bam chose Arts. Youngjae on the other hand, majored in Music for two years. Now, I think he's planning on continuing it through online course."

 

Jinyoung is a bit surprised that these guys have these things going on for them. But he's glad to know that they're thinking about their future too. Of course, playing in a band will not be forever. You'll have to stop, in a certain point of time.

But wait, Jackson missed something. Someone.

 

"But, how about Mark?" Jinyoung already knows that he's younger than the drummer, but somehow calling him hyung seems a bit off for him. And he's not sure if the older would want that either.

"Oh Mark?" It seemed like Jackson just remembered about him. "Well, he wasn't able to go to college. I met him in this pizza parlor where I was working parttime. He said he moved here in L.A. with his dad. When his dad passed away, the guy became more distant than he already was. I was lucky that he agreed on getting in the band with us!"

 

Somehow, hearing this made Jinyoung see a different side of Mark. His coldness and harsh attitude may really have a reason behind it. If one gets close enough, he might see. But sadly Mark doesn't seem to let anyone get close to him. 

 

"What is that heavenly smell???"

A freshly showered Bambam came out of their room. Yugyeom is following behind him.

"Ooh, Bam! You seem to know a lot about heaven since you just came down from there. Didn't you?"

The two were in a banter, when Youngjae also went out of his room. "Please tell me, that's our dinner."

Jinyoung just smiled at him, with Yugyeom already seated by the kitchen counter and having a taste of the bulgogi.

"Oh, hyung you won't be disappointed!" The youngest then turned to him. "Jinyoung hyung, you can definitely cook our dinner from now on."

"I'll go call Mark, so we can finally eat!"

 

After Jackson called Mark, they all ate their dinner. The guys were noisy and Jinyoung chimes in every once in a while but he also can't help but glance at Mark who remained quiet all throughout dinner. 

He didn't say anything, not even about the food. Not that he's complaining or expecting something. After eating, Mark left without saying a word.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jinyoung heard Mark scoff, right after he signed on his one year contract as being the vocalist of The Isolated.

 

They just had a meeting with Michael Williams, the band's manager, and Ethan Lopez, the band's handler. 

First, they were glad that Wonpil now has a replacement. They had a talk about how Jinyoung would be working with the rest of the band. 

They were talking about long term goals that Jinyoung felt like he got to be honest about his situation. His stay in the band is not definite. Sooner or later, he needs to leave, to run his dad's company. Although he really wants to stay, he just can't. So he told Michael. That he's only sure for a year. But any time longer than that would be a bit impossible.

So insteaf of a three year contract, Ethan gave him a one year contract. But Jinyoung did promise that he'll try to fix things so he can stay much longer in the band. 

 

"I knew this is all temporary." Mark spoke. "After a year. He'll leave us. So we need to find another vocalist. Come to think of it, why are we even accepting him? Why not look for another one? A permanent one?"

"Stop it, Mark. Jinyoung said he'll try to smoothen out his matters." Jackson butted in.

"And you guys believe him?" Mark even hissed.

 

Jinyoung can't say anything, since Mark is technically saying the truth. He cannot stay with them. That's it. But it annoys him how Mark thinks lowly of him. 

Unconsciously, Jinyoung is now staring at Mark. His eyes were focused on the drummer. "I just don't want to make a promise which I can't keep." He said each word in all honesty.

But Mark matched his stare. He cocked his head to one side, with his brow shot up. "Oh, really?"

Before Jinyoung could answer, Ethan already threw a bucket of water in their about to heat conversation.

 

As he looks at Mark, who is with an annoyed expression, he thinks...Mark just hates me. That's it.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

"Again!" Mark said as he stopped playing the drums.

 

They were in the studio, rehearsing their set of songs which they will be singing in their series of show starting next week.

 

"Is that how you sing? Do you expect people will come to watch us just to hear you singing like that?" Mark is now on his side, with that same annoyed expression.

"I just sang it how-"

"I don't want to hear from you. Go and practice again!"

As the drummer left the room, Jinyoung saw his bandmates' eyes rolling.

 

"He's always like that when we're rehearsing." Bambam commented.

"He's worse than a lady in period." Yugyeom added.

"Don't listen to him, you sing really good. You just have to work on your accent." 

Jinyoung nodded at Jackson. He's right. Most of his words sounded more korean. But they're singing songs in English. Guess, he should try harder.

"Come on, I'll help you, hyung."

 

Youngjae and him sat by the corner while the others were on a break. 

Mark already returned and is seated on a couch with his earphones on, while playing with his drumsticks.

 

"Hyung your voice is really nice. But I think Mark hyung needs to hear more thickness and a bit of darkness in your voice." Youngjae coached him. "The song is more like a lonely and dark love song. Not just a love song. You need to make the audience feel that with your singing."

Youngjae's coaching is no joke. That explains why he majored in music. 

After a few tries, Youngjae is already smiling at Jinyoung, giving him two thumbs up.

 

"God, hyung. If you sing like that in our show, girls would be drooling over you! That's for sure!"

He laughed at the younger. "You're just being ridiculous!"

 

"Hey Youngjae!"

They were interrupted when Mark called on Youngjae. 

"Yes, hyung?" 

Mark is now beside them, earphones off. "Go and practice on playing the other songs. Jackson and the guys are wasting too much time."

Youngjae just nodded and did what the older told him to, leaving Jinyoung with no one to practice with.

 

"Sing."

Jinyoung gave the drummer a puzzled look. "I said sing. Let me hear what you learned from laughing with Youngjae."

I wasn't- he sighed. It's no use arguing with the guy anyway. Jinyoung just chose to sing as he was told to.

 

          "Give me love like her...

            cause lately I've been waking uo alone

            paint splattered teardrops on my shirt,

            told you I'd let them go..."

 

He sang with all his might, with his heart. As what Youngjae taught him.

 

            "And that I'll fight my corner

             maybe tonight, I'll call you 

             after my blood turns into alcohol,

             oh I just want to hold you..."

 

Jinyoung kept his eyes closed, while still singing the rest of the lyrics.

 

            "Give a little time to me or burn this out

             we'll play hide and seek, to turn this around

             all I want is the taste that your lips allow...

             my, my, my, my, give me love....

             my, my, my --"

 

He stopped when he heard a stomp of feet and saw that Mark is already standing up. "I can't with this." Mark hissed. "Yugyeom!" He called making the younger come running. "Make sure he gets it right next time!" Then he walked back to his seat on the couch and focused on his drumsticks.

 

What was it this time? Is he really that awful?

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

All Jinyoung could hear now is Jackson singing, more like chanting "We did great!" 

 

They just finished their first show for the week and they couldn't be any happier with the audience's reaction. 

Ethan is happy and contented with tonight's performance. The audience loved them. They accepted Jinyoung, as the new vocalist, well.

 

In fact, after the show, a bunch of girls asked for a picture with Jinyoung.

One fan even asked if he's still single. But he answered honestly by saying that he has a boyfriend.

The girls didn't react negatively since the whole band is open and honest with their uality. So Jinyoung being gay is not that surprising. But maybe they just kind of hoped that he's straight, like Youngjae.

 

Jinyoung is walking towards the restroom when he saw Mark kissing some guy. He's no longer that surprised because he already saw the same scene a couple of times before. But still, it's not like he should watch either. So he walked past Mark.

 

As soon as he's in the restroom, Jinyoung called Jaebum. He's very happy right now. And he misses his boyfriend.

Jaebum answered in the third ring. "Hon? Hi."

"I miss you so much, hon." Jinyoung blurted. "How is your day?"

"Well I just had my dinner. And now I'm feeding Nora."

Nora is Jaebum's cat. He lets Nora stay in his parent's house. But now that Jaebum is alone in their apartment, he decided to let Nora stay.

It's Jaebum's day off today. That's why he can talk to him right now.

 

"Is that why you're not missing me? Because you're with Nora?"

And now he can imagine Jaebum rolling his eyes at his pettiness. "God, Jinyoung. I miss you too, okay. Now, shut up."

Jinyoung could only laugh hearing his boyfriend's voice. He's so done with him being petty over silly matters.

 

"What are you doing?" 

Jinyoung leaned on the sink and looked at his reflection. "I'm at this bar. With my new friends."

"Hmmm. Are you drinking?"

"Yes, but I know my limit." He assured.

"How long are you planning to stay there in LA?" this question. How will he answer? He cannot say that he just signed a one year contract with a band. Jaebum will not be happy about it. 

He exhaled. "Uhm.. I don't know. I'm just enjoying my remaining time here. Before I assume my position in the company."

"I'm glad that you're finally listening to your dad, hon. To me."

Jinyoung sighed. "Of course. I love you and I won't do anything that will upset you."

That ought to make Jaebum feel relieved. Jinyoung hated it that he had to lie about him joining the band but, he knows it will only upset Jaebum. And he doesn't want that.

 

He ended the call and was about to head back to their table when Jinyoung saw Mark, leaning by the door while holding a bottle of beer.

Jinyoung almost jumped in surprise. Then came the his panic. Did Mark hear his conversation with Jaebum? About the company?

 

"You're such a jerk."

God. He must really have heard.

 

"Why did you do that?" Do what? Lying to them? 

Jinyoung tried to study Mark's expression. If he's mad, or anything but he can't. 

"Lying to someone is not a good practice." Okay. He's busted. "....especially if he's your boyfriend."

 

Then Mark is gone.

 

Jinyoung's mind is in a blur. What was that about? What was he talking about? Was it Jaebum? Was it just about Jaebum? 

He could only sigh. His head hurts from thinking too much.

 

◾◾◾◾◾◾◾

 

Annyeong!

 

I'm deprived of sleep, once again. Haha. What's the matter with my brain cells? They're only working during these wee hours in the morning.

 

Anyway, here's the third chapter. Please let me know of your thoughts. Why does Mark hate Jinyoung so much? That's the question. Haha.

 

Please subscribe and upvote if you still haven't! And of course, your comments! I love reading them. Please leave one. :)

 

See you next chapter! :)

 

Toodles! :*

 

 

<3 nicapark