What comes after...

His Voice

 

Author's note:

  I need to calm down first, and let it sink in that this is in fact the last chapter which I'm gonna be writing for this fic.

  No. I'm not crying.

 

   So let's go do this. 

 

◦•●◉◉●•◦◦•●◉◉●•◦◦•●◉◉●•◦◦•●◉◉●•◦

 

 

"You have to keep that once we're at the dining table with the Parks. Okay, Jaebum?"

 

Jaebum is stucked on playing with his game boy micro, his dad's christmas gift for him, while they were on the car ride towards the Park's residence.

With a brief nod and an "Okay, dad." Jaebum focused back on playing Super Mario.

 

His dad, Im Jeong Gun, is a busy man. Jaebum knows that. Being the CEO and Chairman of your own established company is never an easy task. His dad missing out a couple of important moments in his life is more than enough to prove that.

But he understands his dad. They are all they have. His mom died upon giving birth to him, so his dad has to raise him alone. Well much to their maids and servants' help of course. But Jaebum appreciates his dad's efforts. 

 

"We're here, sir." their driver told his dad which then turned to him.

"Ready, son?" as his father fixed his tie and his hair. They are both dressed formally. Of course, they're meeting someone from the corporate world, they should look presentable.

Putting his nintendo inside his tuxedo's pocket, he smiled back. "Yes, dad."

 

   ------

 

"This is my son, I'm Jaebum. He's eleven and now in his fifth grade in Korea University."

His dad put his arm on his back as they were all seated around the huge dining table in the Parks' elegant mansion.

With them, is Ceo Park Dong Man, his wife Jung Seo Yeon, and his son, Park Jinyoung. Chairman Park owns Park Enterprises, a very known conglomerate in South Korea and even in HongKong and Taiwan. 

 

"Oh, he is? Well, Jinyoung here is in his fourth grade in Seoul National University."

 

Jaebum looked at the younger who is seated across him. He is wearing a plaid suit with a black bow tie. His raven black hair neatly combed on one side. Judging from his looks, Jaebum can see that Jinyoung was raised very properly.

When the younger smiled at him, he felt something warm in his heart.

 

   -------

 

"Since when did you learn playing the piano?" Jaebum asked Jinyoung who just finished playing his favorite song. 

 

They are gathered once again in the mansion of the Parks. It's Jinyoung's birthday, and it maybe odd, but the guests are mostly from the corporate world. Jaebum sees all sorts of directors, investors and board members, but none of these people are related to Jinyoung, aside from the fact that these people works for or works with his dad. It's funny, how Jinyoung's birthday seemed more like a business convention. 

 

"My mom loves this song. She said it's her and dad's wedding song." Jinyoung said, smiling while looking at his mom standing beside his dad who is talking with his board of investors. 

 

CEO Park looks so powerful, beside his equally elegant wife. Jinyoung's mom is beautiful, and her beauty reflects her kindness. Jaebum can attest to her kindness. Since their meeting, Seo Yeon treated Jaebum as her own son, which the boy is very much thankful for. He never experienced having a mother, but meeting the kind lady made him experience how it was like.

 

"You really play good, Jinyoung." Jaebum added as he tried to press some keys also. "Well I'm nowhere near good."

"I could always teach you." Jinyoung's smile made Jaebum believe that maybe, he could really try to learn something which he haven't tried before.

 

  ------

 

"Wow. You're getting better!" Jinyoung said while clapping his hands at the older who just finished playing the piano. 

Jaebum sneered, finding what the younger said as funny cause he knows, he's far from improving. But Jinyoung said so. And something in Jaebum's heart makes him want to believe just that.

"Did you practice at your house?" 

Jaebum shrugged, deciding to hide the fact that he asked his dad to buy him a piano, which he then used to practice every single night.

"Not really. I need to focus more on studying." He lied some more. Really, he had to stop himself from laughing at his own self. 

"You know, I could teach you how to play a different instrument. Guitar, perhaps? It'll be much easier." Jinyoung really looks too innocent. Jaebum always adores looking at the younger's beautiful brown eyes which seem to hide nothing from him.

"Am I really that bad in playing piano?" he decided to ask Jinyoung who was taken aback by his sudden question. His open mouth and wide eyes almost made him laugh.

"It's not... It's not that-" but Jinyoung stuttering did it for him. Now, Jaebum is laughing his head off. 

 

He finds it cute. How the younger is always being nice to him, trying hard not to hurt him or make him feel bad in any way. Through this, Jaebum feels that he's important to Jinyoung. And he's certain that Jinyoung is just as important to him.

Maybe even more.

 

  ------

 

It was one summer day, Jaebum and Jinyoung was eating an ice cream in this mall when they saw Jinyoung's dad.

They would've called the CEO's attention. If only he wasn't with someone. If only he's not with a lady, obviously a couple of years younger. And if only they were not clinging to each other like they're some couple in a romantic movie or something.

Jaebum was worried of how Jinyoung would react, but he was surprised when the younger just asked him to go, without even saying anything.

The two of them haven't talked about it. Jaebum wanted to ask, but Jinyoung remained distant of the topic. He figures, his bestfriend doesn't want to talk about it. So he just decided to let him be. He even thought, if he was in Jinyoung's shoes, he would want to leave the incident not discussed too.

 

But one afternoon, while the two of them are in Jinyoung's room, they heard some shouting from another room. The deep voice of Jinyoung's dad resounded in the whole floor. "I don't want to hear anymore of this, Seo Yeon! You're in no position to question me!"

That's also when Jinyoung asked him to go with him and leave the house. Both of them went through the window. That was the first time he did that, and same goes for Jinyoung.

 

"I hate him." 

It's the first time he heard Jinyoung say those words. 

He wanted to say so many things to Jinyoung to ease a little of the pain he's feeling. Seeing the younger ball his hands to fists while staring at his mom's photo, framed beside her casket, is enough to break his heart in Jinyoung's behalf.

But all Jaebum could do is hold his hand, hoping to prevent it from shaking. He can feel Jinyoung's sadness. His mom is gone now. The only person who Jinyoung loves with all of his heart, is now gone. And it's because of his dad.

If only his dad loved his mom enough, even if not much, just enough will do. If only his dad didn't cheat on his mom. If only his dad treated his mom right, she wouldn't have arrived to that decision. The decision of taking her own life, leaving Jinyoung all alone.

It's all because of his dad. If not because of his dad, his mom would've still been here. It's his dad's fault. And Jinyoung refuses to forget that.

 

"You should go home." Jaebum once again tried to reason with the younger who is seated on the grass. They're at the Han River. It has been where Jinyoung always go to, these days. To ease my mind a bit, as what he says.

"I miss my mom so much." Jaebum could see Jinyoung's eyes glistening as the younger stared at the darkening sky. "Now I feel so alone. I wish she's still here with me."

Jaebum didn't know what exactly took over him, but his hand reached for Jinyoung's, squeezed it gently making the latter look at him.

"I am still here." He said with utmost sincerity, ignoring the foreign feeling which is starting to invade the whole of his heart. Staring at Jinyoung's eyes makes him feel emotions which he haven't felt before. It makes him happy, yet scared at the very same time. 

Jinyoung kept his eyes locked on his. Those eyes which he would love to get lost into. Who knows he'll end up here, completely drawn, and not wanting to go back. "I am here, Jinyoung. And I'll stay here, with you. You could trust me on that." With his eyes speaking a thousand things he can't say just yet, Jaebum settled on saying those words. "I'll never leave you. I'll stay here as long as you need me, and maybe even when you don't."

 

 ------

 

Jinyoung changed. Jaebum could see and feel that. He's not the same innocent young boy from four years ago.

Jinyoung is only fourteen but he swings his own way, refusing to be told what to do and what not to do, refusing to be caged and controlled by his dad.

But Jaebum understood him. Like what he promised, he stayed with Jinyoung and supported him in any way he can. That's what love means, right? And in his early age, Jaebum knows he can't deny the fact that he's fallen in love with Jinyoung, his bestfriend.

 

It must be unfortunate for him, Jinyoung only sees him as an older brother. But he could wait. He's fine as long as Jinyoung is happy, as long as he can be with him. Jaebum is fine with that.

 

 

"Where are you, right now?"

Jaebum could feel his panic rising while holding his phone against his ear, trying to talk to Jinyoung.

He doesn't know how it happened. How CEO Park found out about Jinyoung getting on this band. They thought they hid it well. Jaebum didn't even let his own dad find out about it. He kept it a secret. But well, maybe there's nothing that can be kept from the great Park Dong Man's knowledge.

"I need this, Jaebum. I'll try to fix myself and my life, on my own. And when I do, I promise... I promise I'll come back. I'm not leaving you. You know I can't do that. I just need time. Please give me this one."

 

He believed him. He believed Jinyoung's words. Jinyoung never lied to him. Jinyoung had never hurt him in any way. And Jinyoung knows, him leaving Jaebum would hurt the older. So Jaebum trusted that Jinyoung will be true to his words. I'm not leaving you... He said that. So he'll hold on to that.

But weeks passed. 

Weeks then turned to months.

And months turned into years.

 

Not one word from him. Jaebum didn't hear anything from Jinyoung since their last talk. He's not leaving him? Doesn't that mean staying? But where is he now? Jaebum doesn't have a single idea.

Did he leave the city? Or the country? Could he really do that?

CEO Park also wasn't able to locate his son. Jinyoung is smart. He knows that. Now, Jaebum isn't sure if he should be glad about it. 

Jinyoung finally got what he wanted. A life free from his dad. But that life also doesn't concern him. And Jinyoung being fine with that, makes Jaebum sad and hurt. He thought he's important to Jinyoung? What happened?

 

 -------

 

"They found him."

When Jaebum reached home, this is what his dad told him. They have found Jinyoung. After more than four years, they finally did.

But Jaebum didn't expect it'll be in this situation.

 

"He got on an accident." CEO Park said. 

Jinyoung's dad said they found him in Busan. All along, Jinyoung was only 325 kilometers from him. Just a three hour train ride would've brought him to where Jinyoung was, and the long and agonizing wait wouldn't have been necessary.

If only Jinyoung told him. But Jinyoung didn't. At one point, Jinyoung decided to remove him from his life. If that wasn't painful, then he doesn't know what else is.

 

CEO Park said Jinyoung was living with an old lady who owned this restaurant. She took care of him for four years. Jinyoung has been performing with his band, and was on a way to their gig when the unfortunate happened and they got on an accident.

Jaebum wasn't really paying attention to everything the chairman has been saying. His eyes were fixed on Jinyoung, who is peacefully sleeping on the hospital bed. 

How he missed his face. How he missed his voice. How he missed him.

 

It was two weeks after when Jinyoung finally woke up.

Jaebum just got home from school. He's now on his second year, studying medicine in Seoul National University. Due to his excellent academic performance, he was accelerated from grade 11 to grade 12, allowing him to spend a shorter time in senior high school.

He was busy on arranging the fruits he just bought in the basket on top of the side table near Jinyoung's bed. Jaebum actually wants to laugh at himself, realizing that after buying the fruits, he's also the one to eat those since he spends most of his time in the hospital and Jinyoung is still unconscious. But it doesn't stop him from buying still. He just want to be prepared just in case Jinyoung finally wakes up.

 

"Jaebum?"

 

It's as if time froze for him when he heard someone speak... when he heard his voice.

Turning around and facing his direction, Jaebum sees Jinyoung now sitting on the bed, eyes fixed on him.

"Jinyoung..." his voice was almost shaking. He's beyond happy seeing Jinyoung again, hearing him talking again. 

Jinyoung's hand flew to his head where a bandage is wrapped around it. "Did... did I really fall that hard?" the younger asked.

"W-what?" he's confused as to what Jinyoung is asking.

He heard the younger sigh. "Was I out for days?" Jinyoung asked again. "This is your fault. You shouldn't have distracted me when I was climbing that tree!"

 

Retrograde amnesia. It's what the doctors said about Jinyoung's condition. Jinyoung has forgotten about the past eight years in his life.

His last memory is that time, during their first autumn together and Jinyoung decided to climb on a ginkgo tree. Jaebum knows it's not a good idea but Jinyoung can really be stubborn sometimes. Jaebum should've never said that he wanted the ginkgo leaves to fall down on him. That's the only reason why Jinyoung climbed on the tree without any hesitation. And as expected, the younger fell with a loud thump on the ground making him unconscious for an hour. 

And now, Jinyoung woke up, thinking it was eight years ago. 

 

Bit by bit, they helped Jinyoung recover. His memories didn't return, unfortunately. But it was a good thing, perhaps. Even his hatred towards his father, Jinyoung had forgotten about it.

Jaebum was glad. He can't deny that. It's like they're starting off again. It's only him and Jinyoung again.

It was a year after when Jinyoung told him he loves him. 

 

 -------

 

Jaebum is anxious. He's been calling his boyfriend for the fifth time already. He finds it odd. Even though Jinyoung is in L.A., he always manage to answer his calls. And by now, he should've been awake.

Another try before Jinyoung answered.

"Hello?"

Only, it wasn't Jinyoung. "Who is this?" He then realized that he might be talking to a foreigner, and was about to repeat his question in english when the guy spoke again.

"Oh. Are you Jinyoung's boyfriend? This is Jackson, his bandmate."

 

That information alone took him by surprise. Bandmate? Meaning to say, Jinyoung is in a band? Despite what he said about it, Jinyoung clearly disregarded his opinion.

He flew to L.A., leaving his work as a surgeon, filing a leave.

There, he saw how Jinyoung loved music. He knows how much Jinyoung loves making and playing music. And God, he knows how perfect he looks on that stage. Then and now, it hasn't changed. He still sees Jinyoung as someone who was born for the stage. 

 

But as he walked along the airport's hall, memories of nine years ago came back to him.

How Jinyoung left him. Though he promised to come back, he never did. As much as he wanted to support Jinyoung to pursue his dream, he doesn't think he could let go of him again. 

And maybe that made him say those things. He knows he had hurt Jinyoung. He could see it in the younger's eyes. 

 

"It's always you who decide. This is the kind of relationship I was in for the past four years. Is this how it's still going to be in the longer run?"

Seeing Jinyoung's eyes, and the loneliness in it is clenching Jaebum's heart. "Were you not happy?" 

But Jinyoung kept his head down, shaking it in the process. Jaebum could feel his heart breaking. 

"I don't know, Jaebum." No, you should know Jinyoung. "It's been always like this. I always do what you want. What you say is right. What you say I should do. But doesn't love come with support and understanding? And without one, love will fail."

 

Those words which he never thought will come from Jinyoung's lips, drove him to his decision. He didn't want to. He didn't think he could, but he let Jinyoung go. Giving him space and time to think.

He flew back to Korea. He hoped Jinyoung would come to his senses and follow him back. But he didn't.

 

It was a month later when Jaebum couldn't contain his longing for Jinyoung that he decided to contact the only person he knew would be able to answer his questions about how Jinyoung is doing right now.

 

"Hello?" he heard his foreign accent again. 

"Jackson? This is Jaebum."

 

Through Jackson, Jaebum was able to know how Jinyoung was after their break up. He asked Jackson to look after Jinyoung and take care of him well, on his behalf.

Through Jackson, he was able to voice out his longing for his love. Jackson would be that someone who'll remind him that Jinyoung still loves him and that there's still a chance for the two of them to be back together.

 

But one day, Jackson gave him a sudden news.

 

"Jinyoung... Well... Jinyoung and..." He heard Jackson sigh. "Jinyoung and Mark are together."

He doesn't need to say how that news broke him.

He cried. Jaebum did cry that night. Once again, he lost Jinyoung. But it's his fault, wasn't it? If he only tried to understand Jinyoung, this wouldn't have happened. He wouldn't have found another.

"Is he happy?" 

But he still loves Jinyoung. And for him, as long as Jinyoung is happy, he could bear with his pain. It'll pass. Doesn't matter how long, but he knows it'll pass.

 

 -----

 

He didn't intend on telling anything to Jinyoung's dad. Jaebum just wanted to let Jinyoung go completely. So he talked to CEO Park and told him that the engagement is off because Jinyoung is now with someone else.

"Mark?" the old and respected man's brows creased as he mentioned the drummer's name. "Mark Tuan?"

 

That's when Jaebum learned about him. About Mark. Mark, who Jinyoung met when he left for Busan. When he left him.

Mark, who is the reason why Jinyoung hasn't returned when he left nine years ago. And now, the exact same reason why Jinyoung hasn't returned to him.

What does Mark have that he doesn't? This is all that runs in his mind as he called Jackson, asking him to let him see Mark. He wants to talk to him. He needs to talk to him.

 

"Why would I even need to steal him, when he's already mine from the very start?"

Mark's words pushed him to his edge. He punched the drummer but Jinyoung was suddenly in between them, pushing him away from the older. Seeing Jinyoung, worried about Mark tears his heart into pieces. 

 

"You shouldn't have done that, Jaebum!" 

Now they're outside, and Jinyoung is mad at him. For what? For hurting Mark? Is Mark all he's going to think about? What about him? Didn't Jinyoung love him? Has he forgotten about that?

"Is that why you never returned? Why it became easy for you to let me go just like that? It's why you didn't try to get me back, is it?" He asked, putting great emphasis on each word. "It's because of Mark? It's because of him again?"

Jinyoung tried to reach for him but he restrained. But what happened next was not Jaebum's intention.

When he saw Jinyoung fell unconscious, he felt his blood being drained out of his body. What has he done?

 

 ------

 

It took three days for Jinyoung to finally wake up. He's glad. Of course Jaebum is glad. But really, what did he expect? When Jinyoung asked about Mark, he shouldn't have been surprised.

"I remember everything."

 

Jinyoung did recall all his memories. And those memories primarily consist of his time with Mark. Mark was the only part of his life which was erased in his memory. But now he's back.

 

Jaebum didn't want to be the bad guy. But he refuse to let go of Jinyoung this time. No, not again.

 

 

They were already in Korea when he received a call from Jackson. He wanted to reject the call, but something in him made him answer.

"Are you really this selfish, Jaebum?"

He held tight on his phone while conversing with the bassist. Jackson knows how he has been after his break up with Jinyoung. He knows how much he loves Jinyoung so he expected him to understand! But here is Jackson, telling him out right that he's selfish.

"I love Jinyoung." was all he could say.

"And Mark does too." His response came too quickly, Jaebum could only curse. "And you know very well that Jinyoung loves Mark-"

" it, Jackson. Do you even need to tell me that?" he snapped.

He's sick of hearing it. He doesn't want to hear it again. Jinyoung said that too many times already.

"Yeah. Maybe I do." The chinese answered. "Maybe in that way, it'll be clear to you, what you should do."

Jaebum sighed frustratedly. But Jackson continued speaking.

 

"I know how much you love Jinyoung. You always say that. But now is the perfect time to prove just that, Jaebum. And love is not always about how long you could hold on and keep the person you love." Jackson said. "Sometimes, love is measured by how much you're willing to let go of the one you love, for him to be happy with the one he truly loves. Despite of the pain, despite of how broken your heart could get. If you really love Jinyoung as how you told me, countless times Jaebum... you will let him go."

 

Jaebum wanted to hate Jackson for saying all those.

But whether he admits it or not, Jackson was able to change his decision. 

 

That night, he and Jinyoung had their confrontation. He told Jinyoung everything that he kept inside him. His pain and anger, all poured out that night.

The day after, he called Jackson. 

He knew about their flight to Toronto, where they'll be staying for good. Jackson told him about it.

When Jackson answered, Jaebum could only take a deep breath. 

 

"You owe me one, Jackson."

"W-what? What the are you saying Jaebum-"

"I'm letting him go." He said cutting off the bassist's words. "I'm finally letting him go."

There was a brief moment of silence before Jackson spoke. "I'll do everything I can to delay our departure. You should get yours and Jinyoung's over here or else Jinyoung won't get his final chance with Mark."

Jaebum nodded, although Jackson couldn't see him. "If I don't recover from this massive heartbreak, it's all your fault, Jackson. Keep that in your ing mind."

He heard Jackson's laugh before the chinese answered. "Stop being a , and start moving, Im Jaebum." Jaebum could only shake his head. "But don't you worry..." Jackson continued. "I got you."

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jaebum smiled as he watched the newly weds dancing together at the center of the hall.

After looking back to everything that has happened, Jaebum is glad that he made this decision.

 

He took over their company and pushed through the mergence with Park Enterprises. Now, he's the CEO of the joined companies. 

He sought for the help of his dad to talk to CEO Park, for him to finally let his son go and be happy with Mark. It took quite some time, but thankfully, Jinyoung's dad did let Jinyoung go.

Jaebum couldn't be any happier of course. His decision might've hurt him back then, but now, five months after, seeing Jinyoung staring lovingly at his husband - Mark... Jaebum could say he has made the right decision.

 

"Hey."

Jaebum turned to face the bassist who just sat beside him on the table he was seated upon.

"Hey your face." He teased causing Jackson to laugh.

 

Jackson. He remained true to his words. He did say that he got him, when he let Jinyoung go. And he did. Never did Jackson leave him when he was struggling to stand by his decision. 

And he's thankful for him. If not for him, he would've remained lonely. Jackson made it easier for him to get by.

 

"So how are you now?" Jackson asked as he handed him a glass of wine. "How is your heart?"

"It still hurts. But,... Still beating."

Jackson pursed his lips. "For him?", pointing to Jinyoung who is staring lovingly at Mark.

Jaebum shrugged. "I hope in due time... it won't be anymore."

Jackson smiled and it made him smile too, but Jaebum is quick to hide his.

 

"What are you doing there and not asking me for a dance?" He whined at the other. "You owe me that after making me guilty until I let Jinyoung go!"

Jackson held his hand out. "Alright. Jeez. Such an old whining man."

 

Jackson led him towards the dancefloor, where Mark and Jinyoung were still dancing.

They walked past Yugyeom and Bambam and upon seeing them, he heard Bambam shouting at Yugyeom. "See? Even Jackson and Jaebum are going for a dance. Why aren't you?" Seconds after, the couple is also behind them.

 

They danced. Jackson stared at him. And somehow he felt different.

"Where did you say you're hurting, again?"

Confused, Jaebum still pointed at his chest, where his broken heart is. "Here."
 

They said that if you love someone, you've got to set them free. If they come back, then they're yours to keep. 

But nobody said about what you're supposed to do if they don't come back. What comes after letting go?

 

Suddenly Jackson rested his head against his chest. He was surprised and taken aback.

 

"I'll stay here and wait until your heart stops beating for him, and starts beating for me instead."

Jaebum wasn't able to answer. But he felt like smiling as his hand goes from Jackson's back, to his head, pulling him closer against his chest.

 

Yeah maybe he still has his own chance to be happy.

 

◾◾◾◾◾◾◾

 

Is this the end??? *cries cries cries*

 

Annyeong! 

How are you after reading this chapter? It took me five hours to finish writing this and gosh!!! I almost got a heart attack when the site notified me that my account will be logged out, while I was in the middle of writing!!!

Anyway, I surpassed it. Hooray!

 

But not hooray because this is finally the end for His Voice!!! :(

This is both an achievement and heartbreaking moment for me. I'm glad that I finished this (successfully, i hope?) but I'm also sad that it already ended.

I think I'll have separation anxiety with my characters again.

 

This genre is very different and foreign for me, especially because I cam from writing JWIT which is full of fluff. But guys, really, your comments kept me going and now... We're at the end.

 

I would like to thank all the readers who read chapter 1 up to chapter 14! You guys are awesome! Thank you for bearing all the pain with me and MarkJin. Thank you for your patience in waiting for my every single update!

Gosh I'm so dramatic, I need to stop. Hahaha. 

 

what I'm saying is, I love you guys so much and I'm praying to still see you in my future fics. :*

 

#MarkJin forevaaaaaah! ❤❤❤

 

 

<3 nicapark