CHAPTER 8

Mistakenly Meant for You

3rd Person’s POV

 

Sunhee was greeted by her phone ringing. One of Sunhee’s struggles in life is waking up. She groggily sat up as she reached out for her phone that has been continuously ringing. It was a call. She didn’t hesitate to answer it right away. Although kind of annoyed that she needs to face another and be a human and do human things. Deep inside, Sunhee wishes her to become a cat. No worries - just eat and sleep; that’s the life she wants.

 

“Who’s this?” She asked because she didn’t see the caller ID.

“Guess who?” The person on the other line chuckles. She didn’t bother guessing because she knows that voice too well.

“What do you want?” Sunhee asked as she yawned and rubber her eyes.

“I’m being your alarm because I assume that you’re alarm clock is broken hence the reason you’re almost late yesterday.” Sunhee scratched her head before looking at her phone. ‘I forgot to buy a goddamn clock.’

‘Phew. 5AM.’

“Okay, Gyu. Okay. Thanks, by the way. Are you at school already?” She placed her phone between her left shoulder and left ear as she stretched her arms upwards.

“Yeah. We’re currently practicing. I just excused myself just to call you.” Sunhee replied with a hum.

“Okay, our coach is looking for me so yeah! Be safe going here. Bye, bye!”  Mingyu cheerfully bid goodbye and hangs up.

 

Sunhee will never be a morning person so she decided to lay down at her bed for a bit until her conscience hits her and finally prepare for school. Suddenly her phone buzzed, signaling that there is a message.

It is from Mingyu.

 

‘What kind of food that doesn’t always come in time?’

Sunhee: What?

Easy. ChocoLATE

 

You owe me a story from your job hunting last night. See you later, Hee!

 

Sunhee snickered at her friend’s joke.

 

“It’s so damn corny, but it will do.”

 

 

 

Sunhee waited for the bus to arrive. While waiting her thoughts are drifting somewhere else, thinking about how well she will do on her first day of job.

“I will never have a decent sleep again.” Sunhee sighs as she remembers that today is the start of her work at Jihoon’s restobar. Sunhee didn’t want to overthink because it’s too early for this. So she decided to plug her earphones on her ears as she patiently waits for the bus to arrive. Like what Jihoon said, she needs to listen to different songs. She started with Taylor Swift.

 

 

 

 

Sunhee arrived at their school too early because good thing there is no traffic and the bus driver seems like he is competing in a car race, not minding the fact that he holds the lives of his passengers. Some of the passengers are complaining that he should drive carefully but some are thankful, maybe catching up for work.

‘I thought that was my last ride.’ Sunhee thought as she calms herself because of the sudden adrenaline that gush on her system.

 

She looked at her watch and it’s only six in the morning. It took her only one hour getting here plus the prep time. She noticed that prefect already lecturing someone at the school gates. So, she fished out her ID on her bag because they can’t enter the campus if they didn’t wear their IDs. Sunhee keep her earphones at her bag so it will not be confiscated away from her by the strict prefect.

 

“Good morning, Sunhee.” A voice coming from the back startled Sunhee. She spun around to see Vernon.

“Yah! Don’t surprise me like that!” Sunhee hits Vernon’s shoulder lightly, causing the young boy to flash his teeth with braces.

“Sorry… ” Vernon mumbled and Sunhee just ruffled his hair.

Both of them started to walk again towards the main gate. They greeted the fuming prefect, but he just nodded then the two continued walking.

“It’s a miracle that you’re early, Sun.” Vernon said as he fixed his glasses. Sunhee shrugged before answering the young man.

“Mingyu called me and you know how persistent the boy is. Tss. As if I don’t have a choice.” Vernon laughed but it was immediately cut off when a taller man bumped his shoulder causing him to fall on his own . Sunhee gasped and immediately helped Vernon to stand up.

“It’s too early to see this ugly halfer, laughing. It is so irritating.” Sunhee is fuming in anger. She is ready to attack the man who bullied her friend, but Vernon immediately held her hand.

“No, Sun. it’s fine. Please calm down.” Vernon said in English as he assured her. Sunhee bit her lower lip. The bully just smirked at them before leaving.

“Pathetic.” He mumbled causing Sunhee to clench her fist and ready to charge but then again, immediately stopped by Vernon.

“Sunhee, please.” She hastily spun around and witnessed Vernon’s pleading face, she heaved a sigh and slowly nodded. Even though deep inside her she knows that she can roundhouse kick that lad, she can’t because he might come back to Vernon when she’s not around. Her train of thoughts was suddenly cut when she hears murmurs from the students around them.

“That Vernon, I pity him. He is so helpless. He even let the girl protected him.”

“That’s what ugly people deserve!”

 

‘Way to go to help a bullied person. Tss’ Sunhee thought as she glared at them.

Sunhee’s gaze immediately shifted at Vernon’s position, who is now collecting his books. Sunhee once again, glared at the rude students for not helping and saying unnecessary remarks. She knows that Vernon also heard what they said to him.

Sunhee ran towards Vernon but he quickly run as fast as he could to avoid the judging crowd.

‘Vernon doesn’t deserve any of this.’ She thought before running to keep up with Vernon.

“Vernon!” Sunhee called out but Vernon made a sharp turn and run towards the comfort room.

Sunhee didn’t have any choice but to leave him there. She fished out her phone from her pocket and texted Vernon.

‘Don’t think about your bullies too much. Remember that your friends are always here. I’m here for you, Vernonie’

She hit the send button as she headed towards her locker.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It’s sad to say that bullying is prevalent these days and it is alarming. If you witnessed someone was being picked up on, don’t hesitate to call the attention of the elders or those who are in the authority. 

Tomorrow is Hoshi's birthday! Happy Birthday HoshHosh!