CHAPTER 7

Mistakenly Meant for You

S U N H E E ' S  P O V

 

I’ve already visited ten restaurants already and sadly, they are not hiring a part-timer.  Some of those wants a person with at least one-year of experience in the kitchen. For goodness sake, that’s the reason why many applies for a job: experience. Yet, they don’t want to hire a fresh graduate. Tss. I don’t really understand the logic behind that. Well I’m not a fresh graduate myself but it’s unfair to those who wants to get a job. Who knows they might be the best candidate for the spot more than those who have experience already. Sighs.

This is my last place for tonight after this I’m going home, I’m tired already. The name of this café or restaurant is quite clever: Lattetude. The owner is a genius or likes puns. I heard that this place is for broken-hearted people because they offer advises from love expert and people can request whatever song they want so you can feel all of the emotions inside this building. That’s why it is always jampacked and popular, but I’ve never been here, probably because I’m not in love or whatnot. Before I set my foot on the establishment, I prayed that they are hiring because I need money as soon as possible. Here goes nothing.

I entered the establishment and many people are dining while listening to the band. The décor is simplistic and has a good ambiance and gives off a chill vibe. This whole place is Instagrammable. My eyes are constantly wandering, appreciating every design until then, my eyes landed on the band. Wait a minute. I know that guy who is singing.

 

 

Jihoon.

 

 

He is a schoolmate and he is in section two that’s why I know him. But we are not that close. Last year, we are both officers in the Humanities department that’s why we have interactions but not that type that I can consider him as a friend, a colleague, could be.

I noticed that his eyes landed on mine and he seemed to be shocked that I’m here. My eyes shifted somewhere else maybe a staff that could help me.

 

“CR break for the vocalist. I’ll leave you guys for a bit. The band will set the mood for you. Have a nice evening everyone.” I heard Jihoon said as he hopped off from his seat and put his guitar at the side. As soon as he leaves the stage, the band started to play a jazz music. Jihoon is approaching my direction and I’m somewhat feeling nervous. I can see a small smile forming in his lips. Small hahahaha.

“Hi Sunhee! Nice to see you here!” He said casually. I smiled at him.

“Yeah. I didn’t know you’re working here.” His lips formed a line.

“Let’s have a seat first. We’re blocking the way.” He said as he escorted me to a vacant table and then we sit across each other.

“Uhh. To be honest my parents own this place.” He sheepishly said as he scratched the back of his head. Wow. So basically, I’m talking to my future boss. Better act decent, Sunhee. Good thing we don’t have any bad blood to each other.

“Oh really.” I don’t know what else to say. I’m kinda freaking out.

“So… are you here to dine in?” Jihoon breaks the awkward tension.

“Uhmm. I’m testing my luck if you are hiring a part-timer.” I swallowed the lumps forming from my throat. I noticed that his, then, shy expression, turned into a brighter one.

“Thank goodness!” He clapped his hands. Uhh.. What? Why?

“I’m thinking, after this night, I will post that we are looking for a singer.” NO….NO! NOOO!!!

“Wa.. Wait. Jihoon. Uhh. I can’t sing. I’m applying for a dishwasher or anything related to the kitchen but not a singer.” I shrieked.  I raised my two hands and nervously waved it, as a sign of refusal. I noticed that his eyebrow raised. Oh no.

“You? Can’t sing? You were chosen by our Music teacher to join the choir, but you refused. Also, you sang everyday our National anthem and school’s hymn last year!” His arms are now crossed and wearing that ‘are-you-kidding-me?’ look. I don’t want to sing anymore; my anxiety gets worse every time I would sing and that is not good. But then I need money to see mom and dad again. I sighed then I looked at him.

 

“So, there is no vacant position in the kitchen?” I will still try but if there’s none well I guess I have to deal with it.

“Sadly, there’s none. Come on, try to consider this! You’ll earn 32,000 won per night!” *About thirty dollars*

My eyes widened. God, that’s a good pay! Oh noes. Wait. Am I sure about this?

 

“But you’re here! Why would you need another singer?” I asked, and then he just chuckled.

“I think you know that I’m still a part of the school’s choir and I don’t want my voice to get hoarse. Also, there are many songs that sounds better if a girl will sing it. There are too many heartbroken girls too, you know.” He stated as he chuckled once again. Hmm. That’s right.

 

“Uhh… okay, okay. I’m in.” He stood up from his seat and punched the air out of glee. So smoll.

“Yes! Thanks, Sunhee for considering this offer I made.” He let out his hand for a handshake, I took it and we shake hands.

“Am I not going to sign anything?” I asked but he just laughed.

“No need. Don’t worry if I did something that is unfair to you, you know where to find me.” I laughed lightly, and he joined me. Jihoon raised his hand, trying to call the attention of his band mates. He gestured something, and I turned my head towards their direction, thinking if they really can understand each other. I saw the bassist nods his head and gave Jihoon a thumbs-up. Then they continued playing the instrumental version of a Backstreet Boys’ song, All I Have to Give.

 

“So, let’s discuss what would be your work here.” I nodded and gave Jihoon a small smile.

“Usually, the customers are the one who request the songs that you will sing so it’s an advantage if you know many songs from Korean to English songs. I advise that you listen to different genres but it’s obvious that you will sing many love songs. But some customers can be a little creative like for example, I sang Ariana Grande’s Problem in R&B. something like that.” I snickered causing Jihoon to refrain from talking. He also giggled, probably reminiscing that special request.

“Where am I? Oh yeah. So, other than that please be in character. Feel the love or pain. Do some research and rehearse it well during free time.” Wow! Jihoon sounded like a pro. He is so different from what I see in school. I just nodded, “noted.” I simply said, and he smiled.

“Our school’s dismissal is 4PM, right? You can go here at 8PM to eat, rest, or do your home works. You’ll be working until 1 AM. You know why I’m small.” He pouted, and I laughed at him.

“You’re digging your own grave, Jihoon. I didn’t even think of that.” I said. Our class starts at 7AM so we have like two hours to prepare ourselves plus the commute time and that depends on the traffic. So, by 5AM, we should be awake. That gives Jihoon four hours of sleep… Huhuhu no time for sleep then.

“That’s for Sunday to Thursday. At Fridays and Saturdays, you should be here by 7PM and that’s until 2AM. Just hit me up if you’re not feeling well or will not attend work, just so I know.” Bye, bye sleep indeed.

“Am I going to sing continuously?” I asked, a bit scared because that’s too much.

“No. Since that is impossible, we are in rotation.” My mouth formed in to an ‘O’ and continued listening to what he is saying.

“So, it will be started by you. You have to get a letter from that basket. You will read it in front of the audience and if you can, you will give them advise or speak out your mind. I’ll leave the decision to you. Then, you’ll sing five songs. Each request also means different problems, so you have to talk about what’s written on that request. It helps to set the mood and you can easily get in to the character. Trust me. Then, the spoken poetry artist will perform, after that me, with three songs and some advices. The band will play two instrumental songs. Then a random audience will sing on the stage. Maybe two or three, depends on the demand. Then three songs again from you. If it is a duet song, then you have to sing with me if it’s in my slot and vice versa.” He explained. I nodded. It’s kinda cute there will be someone performing spoken poetry here.

“Usually they don’t request Metal Rock or anything that involves screamo. I will swing my guitar to them. Just try me.” He deadpanned. I guffawed at his last sentence

 I let myself recover from what Jihoon said.

“Carry on.” I said as I wiped a tear away from my eye.

“If there’s no customer left we can call it a day even if it’s not closing time yet. But to tell you, some are requesting to extend the closing time to 5AM but hell no, we can’t do that.” He shook his head as he massaged his temples. Wow. This restobar is indeed famous and well-loved. I can hear some are singing along with the band as they enjoy their food and the presence of the people who are with them.

“Are you really sure you’re hiring me that fast?” He raised an eyebrow, questioning my query.

“So, you’re questioning your boss now?” He smirked.

“No.. no…. It’s just… It’s too overwhelming. But… Thank you for trusting me, Jihoon!” I gave him a smile and he smiled back at me.

“I know you can do it. Just have fun while singing and you’re all set. Imagine that it is a heart to heart talk with the requestor.” I nodded, I think I can do this. I have to.

 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Eyy another character: Jihoon! These past few days, Woozi attacked me so harshly and I can't (especially in Call Call Call) God I need to have him as my keychain. Kidding! So I hope you enjoy this story. Thanks for reading <3 ILYSM