Hazing Pt.1

Call Me Yours

I stepped onto the grass field, drawing a deep breath as I approach the team. Hyuk walks besides me.  The fearless look I wear on my face is only from the amount of mentally preparing I did last night.

“You look scary,” Hyuk says eyeing me up.

“Better than looking scared,” I say shrugging my shoulders.

Reaching the team all eyes turn to me, great.

I avoid all the looks and find an empty spot on the bench while Hyuk goes to join everyone else, sitting down I dig through my bag so I don’t have to look at the guys glaring me down. Peeking up through my bangs, I see Ken sitting in a circle laughing with the others. He looked so natural and happy.

    Suddenly a cleat on the bench shocks me from my thoughts, my head snaps upward toward the familiar devilish smile, Taekwoon.

    “You ready?”

    I laugh, “Of course, it’s just practice.”

A deep, short chuckle escapes from him, “That’s not what I meant.”

I could feel the fear start to form in my stomach,  no Hongbin. you’re stronger than this. My jaw tightens as I drop my bag on the ground and slowly walk toward the players.

“Hey, I’m Hongbin,” I awkwardly introduce myself.

I wait for a response holding my breath, but it never comes. Instead all the other players continue their conversations. Ken and Hyuk have a solemn look on their face as they avoid my eyes. Ignoring me? That’s the hazing? This I can handle.

Sitting down around the outskirts of the circle I begin to stretch, my team continues their conversations amongst themselves. I stay quiet as I wait for the instructions from our coach, but he never appears. Instead I see Taekwoon approaching the group, He’s in our teams uniform with a pair of black aviator glasses. What a jackass. It isn’t even sunny.

“Alright ladies,” He addresses the group,”first day of practice and Hakyeon couldn’t make it so I’m leading today.”

Looking around I could see the annoyance on my teammates faces, especially Hyuk. “Three laps for warm up, then we are going to run a couple drills and end with a scrimmage.” Taekwoon begins clapping his hands together, “C’ome on let’s move!”

Practice wasn’t bad, and it worried me. When he said hazing I thought it would continue into practice, but I guess Taekwoon takes this sport more seriously than any stupid highschool ritual. A small smile came to my face, maybe it won’t be as bad as the last school. Maybe I got Taekwoon all wrong.

After the last scrimmage game, our vice captain lead us into a circle and lead the stretching. Everyone was talking, laughing, Ken ad Hyuk kept glancing at me to check on how I was. I flashed small smiles to let them know I was ok. Which I was until Taekwoon stepped into the middle of the circle asking for everyone's attention.

“As many of you know, there is a new addition to this team,” He extends his hand lazily in my direction. “And since this is his first day, I thought we could work him a little harder than everyone else. You know get him up to speed with the rest of us.”

, I’m going to die. He is going to kill me I feel it. He then turns and walks over to the bench, carefully he sorts through his black athletic bag. Pulling out a pair of bright neon orange gloves and carries them back into the circle.

“Hongbin, what position are you? I mean besides bottom.” Taekwoon taunts, everyone in the circle can’t help but laugh at the gay joke. My jaw just tightens.

“Right midfield.” I state sharply.

His annoying smile twitches to the side and I can see the fire in his eyes light up, “Not today....Goalie.”  Throwing the gloves at me he quickly turns back to the team. “We each will take a shot on Hongbin. For every ball that goes into the net, two laps.”

Walking over to the nearest ball he slides his foot under it, kicking it up to him, “ready?” He questions as he throws the ball at me.

My heart is pounding so hard I can hear it in my ears. The team forms a line and at the front is Ravi. Taekwoon stands on the side lines, whistle in his mouth arms crossed over his chest. Him and Ravi exchange looks, more like smirks. Then he sounds the whistle and Ravi runs full speed bending his leg back swinging it forward making contact with ball, sending it flying into the top right corner of the net.

“.” I scream as my body hits the ground and the goal is made.

“That’s two laps!” Taekwoon shouts back.

Propping myself up on my elbows I glare at him, biting the whistle he flashes a smile, taunting me.

Next shot up is Hyuk, His eyes dart back and forth between Taekwoon and me. Almost as if he his making a decision. After a second he runs towards the ball. Nailing it in the same direction as Ravi, but with less force. I catch it.

“Weak!” Taekwoon shouts across the field.

Hyuk just shakes his head, walking off the field towards the showers. The rest of the team takes their shots. I miss Ken’s and looking at his face I could tell he felt bad but I just give him a small smile. By the time we get to the last player I’ve already missed five shots. I wait for this next one with baited breath.

The boy looks concentrated, furrowed brows and eyes locked on the net. He runs forwards launching his leg towards the ball, he sends it flying past me and straight into the net. My body bent back trying to reach the ball, but I lost my balance landing flat on my . I lay back into the net letting out a deep sigh. eight, eight shots that got in, eight times two is sixteen. Sixteen extra laps. Balling my fist I bring it up and slam it against the ground. Anger swells in my chest.

“Oh Hongbin,” The familiar taunting voice calls a few feet away from me, “One more shot left.”

Sitting up I look at him, one more shot? Who? Then it dawned on me, Taekwoon never took a shot on me. .

Taekwoon motions for me to get up with his hand and his stupid smile. Carefully I get to my knees and then to my feet. I take my position and wait for his shot. His eyes are locked on me as he adjusts himself for the shot. A second before he takes it I realize he isn’t aiming for the net, he is aiming directly at me. But I realize a little too late, the ball connects directly into my chest.

My arms close around my chest instantly, an immediate reaction to the pain. Catching the shot I drop to my knees, gasping for the wind that was just knocked out of me. My face twists from the pain and I refuse to move. Until I hear Taekwoon speak from directly above me, “Sixteen laps, go.”

I wait another minute before attempting to move, then I look up at him. Happiness plays across his face and anger rages across mine. Climbing to my feet I shove the ball into his chest, he lets out a small grunt and his smile waivers. Then I remove the gloves and throw them on the ground by his feet. I begin to run.

My last lap around the field I could feel my legs crying to give out, my chest feels tight with every breath that I gasp for. This type of physical torture should be illegal. But finally, I was done. Taekwoon gave me his worst, and I took it. I beat him.Grabbing my water bottle I put it to my lips, inhaling the water inside.

My clothes were soaked with sweat, as soon as I entered the locker room I stripped. Throwing my uniform by the foot of my locker. I step into the shower, the water ran over my overheated body. It felt so good. I continued to run my fingers through my hair, enjoying the peace and quiet. Until a shuffle startled me. Carefully I pull my head from under the running water to inspect the locker room. No one. Shaking my head I return to my shower.

After twenty minutes I exit , reaching my locker I go to unlock it but it’s already cracked open. My brows furrow as I open the door, inside the locker was a school uniform I didn’t recognize folded very neatly and all my other belongings missing. A yellow sticky note was attached to the front of the uniform.

“the skirt or getting your towel ripped away from you in front of the whole school, your choice ;)”

My jaw tightens as I raise my fist and connect it to the locker next to mine. I have never felt this anger before, I want to hurt him. So much that I quickly put the uniform on, skirt and all and made my way across the whole campus. Taking a deep breath I exit the locker rooms into the beautiful marble halls of Danggeul. Conversations turn to whispers as I walk past. Eyes follow me to my dorm. Small snickers and laughs echo behind me but I don’t care. Entering building three I push my way past people on the stairs treding up to my room. I can feel their stares bore into my back. 

When I reach my floor Ken is exiting his room, but as soon as he sees me his happy expression turns into a worried one, “What the hell?”

“Move, I have to go commit second degree murder,” I say pushing past him.

"Wait Hongbin!," Before he could grab me I was already entering the dorm. Taekwoon sat on the couch playing a video game, his full attention toward the tv that is until I walked in.

He turns to me, a pleased look on his face as he stands up to meet me. Without thinking I run up and grab him by his shirt, pulling him inches from my face.

“If you with me one more time, I will kick your .” I almost scream into his face.

His once smug look drops to a serious one, bringing his hands up he shoves me away ,“Don’t ing touch me,” He screams back. I Hear Ken enter the room and rushing in the middle of us. “Guys, calm down.” He pleads as he extends both his hands to our chests.

Taekwoon and I don’t break eye contact even with Ken trying to get our attention. I don’t pay attention to what he is saying to us. Taking a couple deep breaths I calm down, all in one motion I turn and grab my bag that was sitting on the floor. I quietly enter my room, slamming the door.

 

___________________________________________________

Hello! I decided to do an update a little early because tomorrow I'm leaving for a weekend vacation! I really hope you enjoyed the chapter, I know it was intense but I promise their relationship improves so much! As always thank you for the support and I'll see you next week! 

XOXO -Authour