Geek Culture isn’t “Nerdy”

Always read the fine print, when getting a cat.

Youngjae was reading when his two hybrids finally woke up and wandered downstairs for breakfast. Daehyun was sitting next to him, reading over lyrics with a red editing pen.

“What are we going to do today?” Junhong asked after he finished eating.

“Did you guys finish putting your clothes away? The ceo received two nods. “Then I have nothing else planned. I guess we could set up the switcheroo in the gaming room.” Youngjae shrugged but didn’t move to get up because honestly he couldn’t be bothered to move at the moment. Daehyun whispered “nerd” under his breath causing Youngjae kicked the older’s thigh, which lead to the younger gently pressing his foot into Daehyun’s thigh repeatedly letting out a quiet “it’s so soft,” which then made the singer smack the attacker’s foot away but Youngjae’s foot came back for more squish time however Daehyun refused so in the end they were trapped in an endless cycle of kicking and smacking. Finally Junhong spoke up, interrupting the childish fight.

“Gaming room?” He asked tilting his head to the side.

“Yeah, the nerd cave.” Daehyun snickered while Youngjae kicked him again.

“It’s in the basement.” Youngjae informed them.

“There’s a basement?” Jongup asked.

“Oh yeah, I must have forgotten about it. I don’t usually show people my… hobby?” Youngjae said in a questioning tone.

“More like addiction.” Daehyun chimed in, making the younger human to roll his eyes.

“Whatever, come on I’ll show you the basement.” Youngjae finally got up from the couch and lead the hybrids to the end of the hallway on the bottom floor. Both hybrids stared at the wall in confusion because there was no door there but jumped back when Youngjae pressed the wall back and slid it over revealing a staircase going down. Jongup gasped letting out a quiet “whoa” while Junhong looked at the now opened path with awestruck eyes.

“It’s like magic.” Jongup announced more to himself than the other two but the younger hybrid couldn’t have agreed more. Youngjae chuckled at their reaction, will they react the same way to the attic? Probably, not but it was a nice thought.  

“Oh wait, I forgot the grab the switcheroo. You guys go ahead down stairs I’ll be right down.” Youngjae wiggled past them and Jongup went down the stairs first, followed closely by Junhong. There was a short hallway that lead to a door which Jongup opened without any hesitation. The two hybrids were met with a dark room.

“Where’s the light?” Junhong asked whiled Jongup patted the wall near the door until he found said switch. The lights and both hybrids were stunned. The walls were painted a soft pastel blue, the floor was a soft beige carpet, the far wall had multiple shelves filled with various video games, on the center of the wall hung a large screen t.v, under it sat every gaming system ever created, a large black U-shape couch was facing the tv, and there was a pool table in the corner of the room.

“Where do you think that door leads to?” Junhong asked as he walked towards it. Jongup shrugged and followed the taller hybrid. They peeked into the dark room before flipping the light switch, it was a bathroom.

“Do you think he has drinks and snacks down here?” Jongup looked around the room but nothing stood out… Maybe there were more magic doors. Both hybrids started to press on the walls in hopes to find something.

“What are you two doing?” Youngjae asks as he carries the switcheroo with him.

“Looking for secrets!”

“Looking for food.”

“Drinks and food are in the table, just lift the tops off.” Youngjae explained. “Press the wall next to the stairs, it leads to the basement closet.” Junhong snooped around the closet while Jongup judged the beverage choices since he was still full from breakfast. Youngjae let them explore the basement as he set up the switcheroo, the process was as simple, plug the device in and turn it on. The human tested out the whole tv to handheld thing, the transfer to each device was smooth, this was very intriguing and had Youngjae’s inner nerd freaking out. Jongup watched his owner mess around with the device while he sipped his fancy fizzy water (it was soda). Junhong finally joined them on the couch when he finished his closet expedition, it had a lot of boxes but also some towels and blankets.

“Do you guys want to play a game?” Youngjae asked, inserting Giuseppe Karts 8 deluxe because that game would never ruin their friendship… The ceo handed the hybrids each a controller that honestly looked to small for their hands but magically they fit just right. Youngjae couched them on how to play and continued to backseat game until the hybrids started making plays he could never do.

“Do you want to play?” Junhong asks after their tenth cup on 200cc mirrored but Youngjae just shakes his head, today was not a racing day for him but maybe some Legend of Linx: Breath of the fresh air, would be fun. Jongup looks at the other video games on the shelves as Youngjae switches the games. Junhong snuggles into his owner’s side when he sits back down. The youngest hybrid asks about the game and this brings out Youngjae’s geeky side so now Junhong has to listen to the human’s long winded ramble about a vague timeline. Jongup interrupts the long monologue when he holds up game case.

“What’s this?”

“That’s PocketMonz: Stars, you want to play it?” Jongup nods, the case has a really cool dragon on it. “Grab the black and green brick looking thing on top of that shelf.” Youngjae points at it and the younger grabs it, he hands it to Youngjae, who opens the case to reveal a DI-HD. He explains how it works and soon Jongup finds himself in the world of pocketmonz. Daehyun walks down the stairs to tell them lunch is ready but nobody moves, he lets out a sigh before going back up to bring lunch to them.

“Looks like you tainted that one.” Daehyun nods to Jongup who was trying to juggle playing and eating.

“He found a game he really likes there’s nothing wrong with that.” Youngjae shrugs then steals one of the older’s fries.

“You have your own!” Daehyun grumbled then snatched one of the younger’s. Junhong watched as the two humans basically ate each other’s fries instead of their own. Humans were weird.

“Ah! What’s happening!?” Jongup gasped at his game, Youngjae looked over and saw one of his pocketmonz glow.

“Oh, it’s evolving.” Youngjae answers.

“Evolving?”

“It’s becoming stronger and changing its form because you trained it with passion and care. It must really like you.” Youngjae patted the hybrid’s shoulder who continued to watch the screen with star filled eyes. His first pokemon, Strawberry, was now in its second stage evolution and Jongup couldn’t be prouder of the fire starter.

“Did you look at the news recently?” Daehyun asked changing the subject.

“Now that you mention it, I think I forgot my phone upstairs.” Youngjae patted his pockets to find them empty. “What happened?” The older never talked about the news unless it was celebrity gossip or about Yoo Industries.

“Seems like everyone is talking about you new pets.” Daehyun showed the ceo his phone. Youngjae took the smartphone and scrolled through the different news articles and social media posts. It seemed everyone had mixed feeling about the whole thing but at the end of the day Youngjae didn’t care.

“Is everything going to be okay?” Junhong asks.

“Yeah, I’ll be right back.” The ceo went upstairs to get his phone then returned to the couch downstairs, he scrolled through his camera roll until he found the perfect picture. It was an adorable picture of his two hybrids watching Kiki’s delivery service. He posted the picture onto his Twattory with a description reading: Meet Junhong and Jongup they are my new hybrids, then texted Himchan to deal with the news articles. Daehyun cooed at the picture while Junhong blushed slightly and Jongup was oblivious to everything as he challenged the Twang gym. They finished lunch and Junhong helped Daehyun bring their dishes upstairs before the duo returned to Youngjae setting up Giuseppe Party 5 on the Game Pyramid. To say friendships were torn apart was an understatement but everything was mended with ice cream.