Guard Dogs

Whatever You Need me to be

Joshua pulled up the sheets of the blanket, mumbling, “You need to stop being such a sweet talker. I don’t want to be a tomato the whole trip.”

Throwing his head back, Jeonghan laughed.

Joshua waited, peeking his eyes out as Jeonghan continued to laugh, his whole body shaking with mirth. His mouth was wide and open, eyes crinkled. The long line of Jeonghan’s throat was on display, his adam’s apple bobbing with his laughter. He looked nice like that. More natural and less like he was a suave playboy who was trying to sweep Joshua off his feet.

Jeonghan covered his eyes, petering out the last bit of laughter. Bringing it down, he walked over, gently pulling down Joshua’s blanket. He whispered, “That wouldn’t be so bad. It’s a good look on you.”

A little eep left Joshua’s lips involuntarily. Jeonghan was too close and they were alone. And his stomach was doing weird things like his heart was. They hadn’t even faked kissed on the lips yet.

Grinning, Jeonghan leaned down until his lips were way too close for Joshua’s comfort. Jeonghan let them graze his forehead, pulling away. “Are you ready to wake up yet? Or should I fend off your guard dogs some more.”

Joshua was too busy feeling a weird lurch in his heart to comprehend what Jeonghan was saying for a good minute. He had to use his ER training to bring himself back, scooting away from Jeonghan. He took the blanket with him. He was cold. “Guard dogs?”

Jeonghan sat on the edge of the bed. “Yea. One named Mingyu. And the other one named Seokmin.” His lips curled into a sneer. “There was little pest who dropped by too, but I took care of him.”

Warning signs blared in Joshua’s head. “What did he want?”

“I dealt with him,” Jeonghan said lightly, patting Joshua’s leg. “A giant hint that we had and it made you tired got to him. I’ll make sure he doesn’t get near.” He put his elbow on this thigh, making a fist to prop up his chin. “But how do I make the guard dogs like me so they can calm down?” Jeonghan mumbled some more, clearly thinking of how to get into Joshua’s friends good graces.

Dealt with. Jeonghan said it with such finality. Like Joshua wouldn’t have to worry about Seungcheol because Jeonghan dealt with him and would continue to do so. It was almost like having a lover.

“What do your guard dogs like? Besides you,” Jeonghan asked, looking at him with a smile. “I need them to be less high alert with me and a higher alert with your ex.”

Joshua dropped his blanket, smiling at Jeonghan. “Mingyu is a great cook. He’s like a dog, gets happy when you compliment him. Seokmin is a wonderful singer and he likes to joke and play. They’re both good guys. Just give them time to get to know you.”

“If they’re not too busy trying to get you away from me,” Jeonghan replied wryly. “Any more guard dogs I need to know about?”

Joshua laughed, shaking his head.


No more guard dogs Jeonghan’s . There were two more! Granted, Vernon wasn’t much of a guard dog so much as he just looked at Jeonghan with slight suspicion. But Minghao. This skinny Chinese kid. Good god. He was just as bad as Mingyu and Seokmin. And the three of them were the beloved group’s 97 line.

Minghao laughed, draping himself all over Joshua, which left Jeonghan to sit at least two bodies away from his boyfriend. Tall giant tree Mingyu took up the other seat next to Joshua. The two of them were a bit like a tag team, making sure Jeonghan was no where near Joshua. It was more than irritating.

“I swear hyung,” he said, “the dude came out from no where and my leg just happened to be there and he tripped over it. I took down a purse snatcher by accident. And got a girl’s number at the same time.” Minghao grinned smugly. “Unlike Mingew here who sneezed on his last date.”

“It was an accident!” Mingyu glared, half holding onto Joshua’s arm. “The pepper got into my nose and I couldn’t help it.” He looked to Joshua, eyes helpless.

Joshua was too busy laughing, his eyes were half crescents and he was clearly having fun. And the two of them were successful at keeping Joshua’s attention on them, and not from worrying about how Seungcheol was busy boring holes into Jeonghan like he wanted to kill him.

“I didn’t sneeze on Joshua hyung when we went on that date!” He shouted it loudly, pointing his finger at Minghao.

Minghao reached out and smacked it, the whack echoing through the room. It was followed by a large yelp from Mingyu. “If you sneezed on him on your one and only date I’d mock you for the rest of your life. Snagging a date with the campus cutie only to sneeze on him.”

Mingyu whined. Joshua was too busy laughing to placate him. But Jeonghan heard the words date and campus cutie.

“You went on a date with Mingyu?” They could play it off if Joshua’s friends found it odd that Jeonghan didn’t know.

Looking at him, Joshua nodded. “It was only the once. I didn’t think it was worth mentioning to you.” He pet Mingyu softly, calming him down. “Mingyu was red and shaking as he asked me. I didn’t have the heart to say no to him.”

“Told you it was cuz Shua hyung had a soft heart,” Minghao scoffed. “I would’ve swept him off his feet.”

“You weren’t even here in Korea yet,” Seokmin said, laughing. He laid his chin on Joshua’s thigh. “I want to go on a date with Shua hyung.”

“He’s got a boyfriend,” Jihoon said wryly. “You guys are something. Asking for dates when said boyfriend is right there.”

Jeonghan shook his head. “It’s ok. I know I have Joshua’s heart. It would be more like a hang out for them anyhow. Joshua’s lips will only be kissing mine.”

“Of course,” Joshua said. He leaned over Mingyu who commandeered Joshua’s other thigh, placing a kiss on Jeonghan’s lips, all soft and gentle. “Only yours.”

Jeonghan’s brain fizzled out.