A Familiar Face

Whatever You Need me to be

Joshua felt like throwing up. He didn’t know how this was going to play out. This was like adventuring in uncharted waters and Joshua always hated things like that. What if they didn’t believe that him and Jeonghan were together? Joshua would look really pathetic at that point.

He jolted as he felt a hand on his face, and then a soft drawl.

“Why the worried face Joshua? It mars your pretty face beautiful.” Jeonghan pressed his lips to his cheek. “Tell your wonderful boyfriend what’s wrong.”

 Heart lurching uncomfortably, Joshua fought to not push him away. Logically, he knew that to do so would make it awkward and they needed to be seen as close, intimate. “What if everyone finds out that we’re not? You know,” he said quietly, turning his head to look into Jeonghan’s eyes.

He grinned at Joshua; it was quite a lovely smile. “Then I’m not doing my job right. We just need to go over the story of how we met, then we go over ground rules with what you’re comfortable with me doing, and then we go over all the important people you’d likely tell me about if we were really together.”

“Right,” Joshua agreed, putting his ER doctor face on. He could do this. He didn’t work in one of the busiest hospitals in LA county for nothing.

“Although we should probably take this somewhere private,” Jeonghan said pointedly. “I don’t think you’re the type to air your business.”

“I rented a hotel room for the night. We have to travel to Jeju for this,” Joshua got up, leaving the roses on the table.

“A good two weeks almost isn’t it?” Jeonghan looked up at him, waiting for a confirmation.

“Yea,” Joshua said with a long sigh, waiting for Jeonghan to follow him out of the café.

“Don’t you like your friends?” He held the bouquet of roses in his hand as he held open the door for Joshua.

“It isn’t about that,” he shrugged. He bit his lip. Telling Jeonghan would delve too much into personal territory yet Joshua would have to get very close and personal with him if they were make sure this little ruse was going to work.

Jeonghan stopped him from walking away, maneuvering them to the parking garage where he had his car. “I know this will be hard,” he said, lips quirking up softly, “that you don’t feel inclined to tell me personal things. But I won’t tell a soul. It would be breaking the contract. And I do love one upping exes so tell me what I need to know and I’ll make sure the next two weeks will as pleasurable as possible for you.”

Taking out a stem, Jeonghan broke the rose off, gently placing it behind Joshua’s ear. “It pales in comparison to you but it’ll have to do,” he teased.

Joshua smiled, that was one of the cheesiest things he had heard in a while. “Are you going to be like this the whole time?”

“It makes you smile,” Jeonghan answered, gesturing for Joshua to get into his car. “And it’s never a hardship to make a lovely person smile.”


Sighing for the umpteenth time, Joshua stared out the window, watching as the plane descended.

“It’ll be fine,” Jeonghan whispered into his ear, making Joshua shiver. Jeonghan laced their hands together. “We got this. We’re going to trick everyone and then you can rub it in your ex’s face that you upgraded.”

Joshua nodded. The two of them worked out the story. Joshua met Jeonghan when Jeonghan came to Los Angeles for a mini vacation but somehow got lost. And Joshua, the nice guy he was helped. The rest was history. Then Joshua gave Jeonghan a short and dirty version of his life and his friends and what to expect.

He absorbed it quickly, giving Joshua suggestions on what to do if he accidentally froze up. They made up a history for Jeonghan, one that made him sound interesting enough but bland enough that no one would try googling him or look at him funny.

“It is safe to unbuckle your seatbelts. Please remain seated as we finish landing. Once the plane comes a stop you may stand and collect your belongings and disembark.” The flight attendant’s voice said cheerfully.

They waited until it was their turn. Everyone in their section got up and started to take their carry-ons. Jeonghan moved first, taking it out of the top compartment for both of them. He held out a hand to Joshua.

Moments like these made Joshua wish that Jeonghan really was his boyfriend. He was courteous and witty, charming to the gills. But then Joshua remembered this was his job and Jeonghan was like this with every one of his clients.

Joshua shook his head, declining the helping hand. He followed Jeonghan out of the plane and through the airport to luggage pick up.

Jeonghan waited as Joshua grabbed their suitcases, coming up right behind him as he exited baggage claim. Silently, he sidled up to him, getting as close as possible in public.

“Joshua!”

Time stopped for Joshua. He felt the blood leave his body. Turning to that god damn familiar voice, Joshua blinked, wishing it was a nightmare and the person who Jihoon sent to pick them up wasn’t who he thought it was.

But no. There in all his glory stood Joshua’s ing ex, all smiles like the way they parted wasn’t an epic all out screaming fight.

He felt a hand on his, squeezing lightly.

Jeonghan’s eyes danced, a smile flitting across his lips. “Right here darling.”

Right. Joshua couldn’t forget that Jeonghan was here for this very reason. Choi Seungcheol and all he stood for, waving at Joshua happily like they were still friends.

Joshua was going to make sure that he hung all over Jeonghan for the next two weeks.