Familiar Questions, Sort of

Whatever You Need me to be

Joshua beamed at Jeonghan. Nuzzling Jeonghan’s cheek, he spied the fierce outraged look on Seungcheol’s face. The rest of his friends looked mildly disgusted.

Jeonghan moved his hands from Joshua’s hips to place them on the small of his back, spreading his fingers so it covered Joshua. “What a way to say I miss you,” Jeonghan teased. Leaning in, he kissed Joshua on the nose. “Missed you too baby.”

Wrinkling his nose cutely, Joshua fought down the way his body wanted to rebel and shy away from Jeonghan. It wasn’t that he didn’t like Jeonghan, he did. A bit too much if he really wanted to think about it. But it was more the way he was purposely putting them on display to people he called his family.

He’d never let Seungcheol do more than a light peck and cuddling. Hand holding was fine, but when Seungcheol got too handsy, Joshua put a stop to it quick. It was different with Jeonghan. Then again, Joshua purposely hired Jeonghan to rub it in his ex’s face. But this was pushing Joshua out of his boundaries. And while it was weird, he reveled in it. Being this close to someone without caring. Being loved and touched like he was fragile and would break. He was always a bit of a spoiled thing.

“For an adult you sure act like a kid,” Seungcheol teased. It sounded like good natured ribbing, but that smile was a tad bit too sharp and too much teeth. “Missing Joshua even if it’s only been like 2 hours.”

Jeonghan held Joshua tighter, putting his nose to his hair. “It’s hard to not miss him. Shua’s mine after all.” He smiled softly at Joshua’s sparkly eyes. “We never left that honeymoon phase.”

“You’ll be leaving it soon enough,” Minghao said, his eyes blazing.

Jihoon just watched all of this, letting out a long sigh. “Maybe later. Right now, we should cook. Cuz I’m hungry and I’m pretty sure everyone else is too.”

“Mingyu,” Wonwoo said, “go do your stuff.”

“Not without help,” he said, grabbing an apron. “Seokmin and Shua hyung. You and Seungcheol hyung can set up the barbeque. Hao can you start on washing those veggies.”

“I’ll set up the table,” Jihoon offered. “Jeonghan can help me.”

Jeonghan nodded. He did want to get a feel for him, and figure out if he was a friend or an enemy. He gave Joshua one last kiss before letting go, feeling oddly bereft without Joshua in his arms.

Smiling, Joshua squeezed his hand once as they separated. “Later Hannie.”


“How are you settling in,” Jihoon asked, quietly putting down plates. He half wanted to go back to bachelorhood and have them all use paper plates for easy clean up but his soon to be wife would smack him one. Better to use plates that could be reused.

Jeonghan gave him a wry smile. “I feel so welcomed. With Joshua’s precious dongsaengs coming after me like rabid dogs.”

Jihoon snorted. “Rabid dogs are putting it mildly.” He handed Jeonghan some utensils to set down. “They’re more like wild monsters smelling for even a hint of bad around Joshua. Can’t be helped though,” he laughed. “They were attached to Joshua since day one. And the subsequent break up with Seungcheol and Joshua leaving made them antsy.” He made a face. “Protective more like.”

What a perfect time to segue into asking questions. “And what about you,” Jeonghan asked, giving him the patent Yoon Jeonghan smile, “inviting Joshua and Seungcheol here despite knowing about their bad blood.”

Shrugging, he grabbed the cups. “We’re friends. And there’s no way I wouldn’t invite them. Even if they’re tense with each other. They’re adult enough to be polite.”

Jeonghan internally snorted. Seungcheol wasn’t being very polite at all and Jihoon wasn’t reining him in. But that was fine. Jeonghan would put him in his place.

“Miyoung would shoot me anyhow if I didn’t invite Joshua. She loves him. They were close.”

Jeonghan nodded. So they were close, but actions spoke louder than words and Jeonghan was doubting Jihoon cared enough to make Seungcheol stop.

“It’s only for a week anyhow.”


Joshua’s later truly meant later. Like bed time later. Well not quite bed time. But getting ready for bed. During dinner, everyone seemed to be out to separate them. Hansol took the seat to Joshua’s left while Seokmin took the seat on the right. Minghao took the seat next to Seokmin, barring Jeonghan from being one seat away. Wonwoo wasn’t even trying to be mean, he just plopped down and Jun joined him. It left Jeonghan very little options. He put himself at the end of the table next to Jun. Jeonghan knew if he sat next to Joshua’s ex he’d likely take his chopsticks and try to kill him with them.

After dinner was a whine fest. Joshua’s guard dogs had whined and begged to spend the night in the living room all together, but Jihoon retracted his good will.

“No,” he snapped. “Not tonight. I take back what I said. If I have to deal with you whiny babies anymore tonight, I’ll kill someone with my bare hands. Deals off. Maybe later on.”

The threat of being killed calmed them down and they all went to their respective rooms.

Joshua waited for Jeonghan to close the door behind him. “Sorry about all the animosity. They’re being unusually aggressive.”

Jeonghan walked towards him, softly brushing away his hair away from his eyes. “It’s fine. We anticipated it. Can I ask what was the kiss all about?”

Joshua colored up prettily. The pink flush went from his neck to his cheeks, giving him that freshly ed look.

Laughing, Jeonghan shook his head. “It’s fine if you don’t want to tell me. I can guess it had something to do with your beloved guards.”

Silently, Joshua nodded.

Jeonghan hummed. Figures. He went to take a sip of water. Joshua’s next words made him choke.

“How do you feel about having with me?”


A/N: I need to think about continuing to write. It's been a struggle lately.