Donghyuck & Mark

Sparks Fly

Everything was perfectly picturesque. It was ten thirty in the morning, and normally on holidays like this, Donghyuck would have been fast asleep (at least until noon). But two nights before, Mark said he had a day planned for them together, which started with breakfast. Donghyuck didn't mind getting up early in the slightest when it meant spending time with his boyfriend.

The two of them were seated at a booth in an old little cafe near Mark's house. Everything was made of a dark wood and the cups and plates had pretty little designs on them, but none were from the same set. The breeze was freezing cold, but the sun shined down bright on the treetops and grass, and if Donghyuck had never seen Mark's face he would've said it was the prettiest sight he'd ever seen.

But Mark was here, the sleep still in his eyes, huddling in his giant coat and mittens. Donghyuck could barely notice the beauty of the world when his love was right there; Mark Lee was all he saw.

"It's warm in here," Donghyuck commented, noticing Mark rub his hands together.

"No it's not!" Mark whined.

"You're always cold though; no matter how warm it is," Donghyuck said, but he reached for Mark's hands across the table anyways, holding them tight. The tiniest of smiles graced Mark's lips.

"Pretty," he mumbled. He didn't mean to actually speak the word but he was glad he did, because he loved the way Mark's rosy cheeks flushed even a bit redder.

To Donghyuck's sadness they had to stop touching because the waittress brought out their pancakes, steaming upwards as the scent of syrup filled their noses.

"Pancakes are my favorite," Mark said softly, taking another sip of his coffee along with a bite.

"Hm, I'll keep that in mind," Donghyuck responded, eating a piece for himself. Immediately, he moaned at the taste. ", that's good. So fluffy, so pancakey, so sweet but not too sweet..."

"I know, right? Me and my family came here a lot when I was a kid. They're still the best pancakes I've ever had," Mark explained.

"They're definitely the best pancakes I've had too." Comfortable silence fell as they devoured their first meal of the day like only high school boys can, and soon, their plates were empty.

Donghyuck was about to take another sip of his tea when Mark's arm suddenly reached across the table, wiping some syrup off of the corner of his mouth with his thumb. Donghyuck looked up to see Mark blushing, shyly drinking his coffee and avoiding his gaze.

"Stop it," Donghyuck spoke.

"Stop what?" Mark said, although he couldn't hide his embarrassment.

"Stop pretending you're not cute. Own up to it." They made eye contact and Mark slowly grinned, shyly looking away.

"What?" Mark quietly whined.

"You just wiped at the corner of my mouth. That's the definition of cute," Donghyuck explained.

"I dunno..." Mark mumbled, just as the waittress brought their check. Both of them reached for it but Mark snatched it out of the way, slipping in some cash from his wallet. It was a nice contrast to Donghyuck's crumpled bills he just haphazardly shoved into his pocket, that he and Mark had to flatten every time Donghyuck paid for their meals.

"What's this about?" Donghyuck asked. Donghyuck loved to pay for the both of them and usually Mark let him.

"Today's my day. I'm taking care of everything," he responded as the waittress picked it back up.

"Why?"

"Well....you always do so much stuff for me, like, big, grand gestures, you know? So I...I wanted to return the favor. That's why I've planned this whole day out."

Donghyuck looked at Mark in silence for a moment with a small smile.

"Cute," he finally mouthed.

"Oh my gosh!" Mark whined, leaving a tip and standing up, grabbing his large bag. Donghyuck downed his tea and followed him, snaking an arm around Mark's waist.

"No, for real?" Donghyuck spoke as the couple pushed their way out the door, the soulmate sparks from Donghyuck's hand a comforting presence to the both of them. "I really appreciate it. I'm ing excited as hell baby."

"I'm really glad," Mark said softly, momentarily burying his face in Donghyuck's shoulder.

"Where to next?" Donghyuck asked.

"Movies!"

Luckily the smaller movie theatre of their town was only a few blocks away, the warmth of Donghyuck's body keeping Mark comfortable as they walked. They arrived within a few minutes, the line fairly short since it was still before noon.

"What should we see?" Donghyuck asked.

"I was thinking we should see Crazy Rich Asians, since I know you'll want to see A Star Is Born with your other friends," Mark responded.

"Anyways, if we saw A Star Is Born, I'd actually have to pay attention, since the only woman I'd ever date, Lady Gaga, is in it. In Crazy Rich Asians we can take kissing breaks," Donghyuck said.

Mark blushed as they got to the front of the line, paying for both of their tickets and then going immediately towards the candy.

"Are you a buttered popcorn or plain kind of person?" Mark asked.

"Duh."

"Well I dunno; my mom likes it plain," Mark said.

Donghyuck gasped. "Mine too!"

"Our moms are freaks," Mark responded as they got slushees too, Donghyuck with cola flavor and Mark with cherry. The entered the theater, sitting down towards the middle, noticing they were alone except for another couple in the back.

"This is great," Donghyuck whispered into Mark's ear as the previews began.

"Shh! This is the best part," Mark responded, turning back towards the screen. Donghyuck suppressed a laugh and grinned at Mark for a few moments before taking a giant handful of the popcorn and stuffing it in his mouth. Mark pouted at him but paid attention to the big screen once again. Again, Donghyuck suppressed his laugh, paying attention himself as the movie started.

As soon as the popcorn had been finished off (within the first ten minutes of the movie) Mark's hand s from his own seat into Donghyuck's palm, their fingers slowly interlocking, the familiar hum of electricity passing between them. Donghyuck saw a smile grace Mark's pretty lips out of the corner of his eye.

Mark's head soon found its way onto Donghyuck's shoulder, his black hair tickling Donghyuck's face. It was kind of uncomfortable but Donghyuck would never say a word; it was a privilege just for him to be in this situation.

It was hard to pay attention to the movie when he could reflect on his relationship with the boy he loved. He was a master of seeming confident in himself but all he'd really been was just a boy with a massive crush on the smartest kid in the grade above him. He'd accepted it at that point, his smiles in english class met only with glares, but the soulmate thing gave him a real chance. And boy, was he grateful for it.

Every moment with Mark was a privilege. Every so often he reminded himself that things always hadn't been like this, that there was a time when Donghyuck could only love him from afar. He could never take his relationship with Mark for granted. Every experience must be cherished.

Donghyuck was suddenly overwhelmed with the urge to kiss the beautiful fifteen year old he got to call his boyfriend. He looked down at Mark, those pretty eyes looking back up at him almost immediately.

"What?" Mark whispered. Donghyuck just shut his eyes and pressed his lips against Mark's. It was short and sweet but full of the soft sort of love only a young teen can encapsulate.

"Hi," Donghyuck whispered back. Mark's expression bloomed into a smile.

"I was waiting for that."

"You could've just kissed me, you know," Donghyuck whispered, pecking Mark's lips again.

"It didn't seem like the right time," Mark responded.

"You owe me then." Mark looked back at Donghyuck quizzically. "A real kiss."

Mark grinned again and lips were on his, his stomach pressed against the armrest as they tried to get as close as possible. Donghyuck's fingers and threaded through Mark's hair and their place in the movie was soon forgotten, the plot abandoned, in favor of experiencing each other.

~~~~~~~~~~

The two boys exited the theater in a dazed, their lips plush and thoroughly kissed.

"So...what exactly happened in the end? Why were they playing mahjong?" Mark asked as Donghyuck held their small hands together.

"I have...no idea," Donghyuck admitted with a chuckle, shrugging his shoulders. "It was a good idea that we didn't see A Star Is Born though."

"I know you too well," Mark responded, entering the street once again. By now it was the afternoon, the sun a lot higher in the sky and the breeze a lot calmer. Mark was still cold but Donghyuck could see his skin wasn't getting goosebumps any more, and for that, he was grateful.

"Where are we off to next, darling?" Donghyuck asked, smiling brightly when he noticed Mark barely holding back a squeal.

"I mean, I was thinking we'd do a picnic in the park nearby; I brought all this food stuff," he responded, lifting his large bag. "But if you're not hungry..."

"I'm always hungry," Donghyuck interrupted.

"Good," Mark answered with a smile. "Because I could go for a peanut butter and jelly right now."

"Same," Donghyuck replied. It was a short distance to the park, a very small area of green shrouded by trees. The couple staked their claim over the grass, Mark laying down an old sheet and placing all the food on top of it.

"You're so ing sweet," Donghyuck said, looking between the food and Mark.

"It's nothing," Mark said quietly.

"It's not," Donghyuck responded, kissing Mark gently. "I really appreciate it." Mark was silent but he smiled sweetly. His grin turned naughty though as he stuffed a cube of watermelon into Donghyuck's mouth.

Donghyuck squeaked but ate it dutifully.

"Best piece of watermelon I've ever had. Master chef Mark," he said.

Mark laughed loudly. "No way. This cut up fruit and sandwiches are the extent of my cooking abilities."

"It's still the best cut up fruit and sandwiches I've ever seen," Donghyuck responded with a small, reaching for a pb&j and taking a large bite.

The pair simply sat in the grass for a while, the sun shining high despite the cold winds. Mark hummed and moved over, sitting between Donghyuck's legs, resting his head on his chest.

"You've changed me so much," Mark mumbled.

"How?" Donghyuck asked with pride.

"Well....I like myself a lot more. When I'm with you. And...and I'm a lot less judgemental too," Mark responded.

"That...that makes me real happy to know."

"I mean, I always knew I liked guys, but...I kind of hated myself for it? Because I grew up religious and stuff," Mark admitted. "But...but now I'm proud to be gay. And that's because of you."

"Don't discredit yourself," Donghyuck responded.

"You've changed a lot too."

"I have?"

"Well..." Mark stopped in the middle of his sentence. "Scratch that. You haven't changed all that much. It's just, the things I used to hate about you, are my favorite things about you now."

Donghyuck smiled and hid his face in Mark's shoulder.

"Are you blushing?" Mark cried, and Donghyuck shyly nodded.

"I think I have changed a little though," Donghyuck softly spoke. "I'm a lot more willing to be vulnerable now."

"I think so too," Mark said. He finished off his sandwich and turned around suddenly to give Donghyuck a tight hug, toppling both of them into the grass from the force of it. The two of them giggled loudly, glad they were alone in the park so that no one could see their extreme PDA.

"You know, I may be fourteen, and any logical adult would say I don't know what I'm talking about, but I really do love you, you know? As much as a fourteen year old can love someone."

Mark hid his face in Donghyuck's chest, looking up at him with shy eyes. "I love you too," he mumbled. "Like...when I thought about meeting my soulmate before, I was really scared. Like, that's for life, and I didn't think I was ready for that at fifteen. But now I'm not scared. We can do this."

"Oh definitely," Donghyuck responded. He sat up, taking Mark along with him, and captured his lips in a sweet and loving kiss. Mark kissed back but soon broke away.

", all our trash is blowing away!"

The two of them leapt up to gather all of their trash, taking it to the garbage to toss it and put the leftovers away. By the time they were done, the heat of the afternoon sun and their early morning together began to take a toll on them. They were sleepy and happy and all the good things.

"I'm so tired," Donghyuck complained, laying on his back in the grass.

"Same," Mark responded.

"But I don't wanna leave you yet."

"Same!"

"We could go to my house?" Donghyuck suggested.

"That sounds nice," Mark responded, sort of hesitantly. He had been wanting to come over for a while, but he was really nervous to meet Donghyuck's parents.

But Donghyuck called his mom to pick them up and Mark didn't stop him, pushing down his nervousness.

A couple minutes later a car honked just outside the park. Donghyuck leapt up, helping Mark too and rushing outside with their hands held together. 

"Hey mom," Donghyuck said happily, opening the door for Mark. Mark grimaced and hopped into the back seat. 

"So I finally get to meet him, in the flesh," Donghyuck's mom said, and Mark just grimaced harder. "You must be Mark. It's nice to finally meet you," she spoke cheerfully. 

"N-nice to meet you too," Mark stuttered back. 

"I've heard so much about you. All good things, of course," she continued. "God, Donghyuck never shuts up about you. It's always Mark this, Mark that, Mark looked so cute today, Mark's essay was so good when the teacher read out aloud to the class..." 

"Mom!" Donghyuck whined, interrupting her. "You're embarrassing me." 

"That's my job, isn't it?" She asked, pulling into the garage. Donghyuck hopped out of the car and held it open for Mark; he'd never felt like this much of a prince before; it made him smile. 

Donghyuck's mom got out of the car too. She didn't look at all like a typical mom to Mark; she was much taller than both of them, Mark was sure that she would still be taller even without her large heels. She was extremely beautiful, heightened only by her perfect fashion. Mark was sure she was who Donghyuck got all his confidence from. 

"Aw," she said, looking over the two boys once they were out of the car. "You're adorable together." 

Mark blushed tomato red and Donghyuck hugged Mark tight, grinning with pride from ear to ear. She opened the door for them and walked into the house, Donghyuck and Mark following behind her. 

"Now, I won't ask you about yourself, because I know all you kids hate that. Anyways, Donghyuck has told me enough about you already. You two can go do whatever you want, shut the door to your room, I don't care. Just don't let me catch you in any...compromising postitions." With that, she turned back to the two boys. Mark was now blushing red from his neck to the tips of his ears, and she just chuckled. 

"You can go now," she spoke. Donghyuck started to head up to his room, but Mark paused. 

"Th-thank you ma'am," Mark responded, bowing a little at Donghyuck's mom. 

"Please, never call me ma'am again," she responded. She chuckled and smiled at them before Donghyuck tugged Mark up to his room. 

Mark unconsciously sat right on Donghyuck's bed, still dazed from that weird interaction. 

"Your mom is....quite the woman," Mark spoke. 

"I know," Donghyuck responded with a laugh. "She's pretty intimidating. It's kind of sad living with the fact that I'll never be as cool as my mom. Plus, all my straight guy friends have a crush on her. But it's great living with the coolest person I know." 

Mark smiled, finally able to take in his surroundings. Donghyuck's walls were covered with pictures and posters, so tightly packed together that the walls weren't even visible. Mark noticed many of the pictures were of them together, apparently Donghyuck had gone to the trouble of printing all their silly selfies out to hang. 

"I love your room," Mark said quietly. 

"I love you," Donghyuck responded, and Mark made a face. 

"You are so cheesy." 

"You love it though." With that Donghyuck tackled Mark into the bed, tickling him as Mark laughed loudly. 

"Stop it! What did your mom say about compromising positions?" Mark whined. 

"Right, right," Donghyuck responded, getting off of Mark, but both of them grinning ear to ear.

"I'm sorry you have to know that I told my mom all about you," Donghyuck spoke all of the sudden. "I promise I'm not a stalker or anything. I just really like you." 

"It's okay," Mark responded. "It's nice that you're close enough to your mom to talk about those kinds of things." 

Donghyuck paused momentarily. "I know you can't really talk to your parents about that. That must be hard." 

"It's alright," Mark spoke with a sad chuckle. "I'm used to it." 

"Aren't you out to them?" Mark nodded. 

"Did you...come out?" Donghyuck asked. "We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to." 

"No, it's alright....you're my boyfriend; I want you to know." Donghyuck nodded along, giving Mark his full attention. "The story is pretty funny actually... so my parents are pretty religious, right? When I was a kid I went to Sunday school, starting at age five until I was twelve. The pastors really liked me and they wanted me to become a youth group leader when I grew up. But during seventh grade, this new kid came to the group. I...I kinda had a crush on him, you know? And it was obvious that he liked me too. We wrote each other stupid love notes and stuff. Honestly I don't think I really liked him that much; I was just excited to be doing romantic stuff with a boy. Anyways...one day we snuck out of youth group and went to the pews. And we...we started kissing. Like, not even making out, but definitely kissing. We weren't really discreet about it....so we got caught by one of the youth group pastors. And we were in...big trouble. They called our parents and stuff, I was crying because I was really nervous. The pastors were really angry at me and told my parents that I could never come to youth group again." 

"So...you got kicked out of Sunday school? For making out with a guy?" 

"Yes..." Mark said with a small, slightly proud smile. 

"Honestly? Iconic," Donghyuck responded. "That's totally something I would do. But...how did your parents react?" Donghyuck asked, his tone turning serious again. 

"It was so weird....the whole ride home they said nothing at all. Not a word. And then when we got home...they pretended like nothing had happened. My mom asked what every body wanted for dinner, my dad went to his office...it felt really surreal. None of us have ever mentioned it again. I don't even know what that means...do they approve? Disapprove? It's so weird, and I'm terrified to bring it up." 

Donghyuck hugged Mark tightly. "I'm...so, so sorry. That sounds terrible." 

"It's okay," Mark responded. "I know it could be a lot worse." 

"Still..." 

"Still...it's alright." Mark smiled and pressed his nose against Donghyuck's. "Since I have you."