Soft

Sparks Fly

A/N: wow is this chapter cheesy....hope you guys enjoy anyways!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a Friday morning, but Mark was not in a good mood. He'd stayed up until three am studying for a test, he was being forced to deal with all the drama in the Christian club, and worst of all, Donghyuck had been absent from school the day before. Not only did he feel like physically, but he felt like emotionally. He missed Donghyuck; he missed him so much he wasn't even afraid to admit it. 

Mark had to admit; he was falling and falling hard for the freshman. Donghyuck treated him with such patience and kindness, but at the same time was enterntaining and never failed to make Mark smile. He was funny and outgoing, the perfect offset to Mark's seriousness and shyness. Yeah, he still got embarrassed when people about being with Donghyuck, but he was caring less and less. He wanted to be seen walking down the halls hand in hand with him (Donghyuck was absolutely gorgeous, underneath all of that extraness). 

But despite his intensifying feelings for Donghyuck, Mark was still in a bad mood that morning. But all that changed when he opened his locker to grab his books. 

Immediately, flowers, chocolates, and stuffed animals came tumbling out of the open locker. Mark squeaked, trying to hold it all up from falling onto the floor. His frown began to fall off of his face, replaced by a smile. 

Mark's cheeks flushed pink as he picked up the roses in his locker, their sweet scent lifting his mood. The chocolates seemed high end, not just bought for cheap from the convenience store. And Mark giggled as he pulled the stuffed bear out of the locker, hugging it close to his chest. He would never admit it to anyone, but he always sort of wanted to get a stuffed animal from a boyfriend. 

Although Mark digged through all the stuff, all the way back to where his books were pushed to fit all of the presents, Mark could not seem to find a note. Mark was sure it was Donghyuck (who else would be this extra?), but he couldn't figure out why he was receiving all of those gifts. Mark was definitely grateful, though. He completely forgot about all of the drama with the Christian club and his test later on, a happy smile on his face. 

The bell rang for class and Mark sighed loudly, grabbing the stuffed animal, a box of chocolates, and his books for class before slamming his locker shut. Of course, right behind it, as usually, was Donghyuck. 

"Ah!" Mark screamed as his soulmate popped out from behind his locker. He'd been so deep in his own thoughts he hadn't noticed Donghyuck come up. 

"I can't believe you still get scared when I do this. It's so cute," Donghyuck responded, smiling back at Mark. 

"Did....did you do all this?" Mark asked. Donghyuck simply nodded, and Mark's face bloomed into a big smile. "Th-thank you," he spoke sincerely. "This means a lot to me. I kinda needed it." 

"I'm glad. I just wanted to see you smile," Donghyuck responded. Mark giggled and walked over to Donghyuck, pressing a light kiss to his lips. Donghyuck smiled against his mouth, wrapping his arm around Mark's waist. 

"Are you sure there isn't a reason for all of this?" Mark asked, playing with the ear of the stuffed animal. Donghyuck flushed a bit, turning his head away out of nerves. It wasn't often that Donghyuck got nervous, so Mark payed attention. 

"Well..." Donghyuck started, scratching the back of his neck. "Well, you and I have known we were soulmates and stuff for a little while, right?" Donghyuck asked, drawing the quesiton out as long as possible. But Mark was patient, simply nodding along. "And we've been...sorta...I don't know, coupley? But we aren't, like officially a couple or anything, I mean, you're not seeing anyone else, I mean I hope not, so, we're like exclusive, but not, like...." Donghyuck trailed off and sighed, trying to articulate himself. "I haven't officially asked you to be my boyfriend yet. So, that's what I'm doing right now." 

"Oh..." Mark responded, staring wide eyed at the floor. He was shocked, actually. He'd never had a real boyfriend before, plus he hadn't expected Donghyuck to be so serious about it. 

"This was too much, I'm sorry, you don't like me that much, it's alright," Donghyuck spoke, looking at the floor and wincing. He pulled away from Mark and leaned against the locker. 

"No!" Mark shouted, probably loud enough to interrupt some classes. "No! I really, really like you and I want to be your boyfriend!" Donghyuck looked back up  with hope. "I was just surprised you cared this much." 

"I thought it would make you happy," Donghyuck responded, walking back over to Mark and interlacing their fingers together. 

"It did. It really did." Their eyes locked, the eye contact making Mark's heart beat hard in his chest as Donghyuck pressed their lips together. Mark immediately leaned in closer, wrapping his arms around Donghyuck's neck as they kissed in the empty hallway. 

"Not you two again!" A voice suddenly interrupted. Mark and Donghyuck broke apart to see Mark's chem teacher, standing in front of them and looking very unhappy. Mark grimaced and Donghyuck turned red. "Go to class." 

"Like I said before, anywhere is a spot for making out," Donghyuck mumbled under his breah as he helped Mark gather up his things. The teacher left them alone and the couple shared a guilty smile. 

"Thank you. Again," Mark spoke as he shut his locker. 

"No problem," Donghyuck responded, giving Mark a light kiss on his jaw line. "I'll see you in English." 

"See you then," Mark said as the pair began to walk away from each other towards their separate classes. "Boyfriend!" Mark added. They looked back at each other and shared a smile, waving goodbye. Mark would never admit it to anyone, but as soon as Donghyuck was out of earshot, he physically squealed. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Doyoung was beginning to think this was the best choir practice he'd ever attended. 

Usually, he'd spend the entire time sulking over Jaehyun and complaining to Taeil (who couldn't have cared less). Now instead, as the beginners were practicing with their instructor, he and Jaehyun were side by side (Taeil was busy texting Johnny). Doyoung had no idea what was actually going on in the practice, but he didn't really care. Jaehyun had his arm around Doyoung, and Doyoung was resting his head on Jaehyun's broad, strong shoulder. Soulmate sparks like electricity felt between them, warm and bright yet somehow calming. He sighed contentedly; this felt so right. 

As Jaehyun looked down at him, his expression blooming into a smile, Doyoung thought about all the drama that had happened between them. He'd wasted a lot of time being caught up in his competitiveness, even before the whole soulmate thing had happened. Jaehyun had always just been trying to reach out to him, and Doyoung pushed him away. It made Doyoung ashamed, and it had all been so pointless, really. Doyoung wished he'd never done anything, that he'd known Jaehyun only cared about him. Jaehyun was so cautious with him now, and Doyoung wanted to take it all back. Finally, he knew, he was ready to be with him for real. 

"Jaehyun?" Doyoung asked in a tentitive voice. Jaehyun looked down at him and nodded. 

"I just wanted to say...and let me finish... I have to admit, I had you all wrong. My entire life I thought you were just out to get me; I don't know why. Maybe I was just jealous of you myself, but it was really stupid of me. You're great, Jaehyun. You're so great. You're all I could ever ask for. So now, I know for sure that I want to try this thing with you for real. No holding back." 

Jaehyun was speechless for a moment before speaking. "F-for real?" He finally stuttered, and Doyoung simply nodded. 

Jaehyun reached over to caress Doyoung's cheek, everything around them fading until it felt like they were the only two people in the world. He Doyoung's soft, pale skin with his thumb, his eyes shining like the moonlight. Jaehyun gleamed back like the sun, taking the time to pause to take in everything that Doyoung was. 

Finally, Doyoung was the one who reached up to press his lips against Jaehyun's. Their first kiss had been great, although it was tainted by what happened right after, but this, this was pure magic. Doyoung finally understood what people meant when they said kissing felt like fireworks, his lips, his heart, his mind, his stomach feeling explosive with joy. Jaehyun cupped Doyoung's face like it was the most precious thing in the world, and to him, it was. Doyoung gripped the chair beneath him, trying to keep steady as he was overwhelmed with feelings. 

Jaehyun slowly pulled away beaming, and Doyoung couldn't help but smile back. Doyoung couldn't fathom Jaehyun not being his soulmate now. With them, everything just seemed to fall into place. 

Jaehyun leaned in again and Doyoung was happy to kiss him back, wrapping his arms around Jaehyun's neck, just unable to keep their hands off of each other. Jaehyun held Doyoung's waist to keep him from falling of the chair and kept him close; he didn't want Doyoung away from him for one second. 

Taeil finally noticed what was going on and looked up at them, humming and giving them a look, ready to gossip about all of this with Johnny. 

That seemed to mark the end of Jaehyun and Doyoung's peace.

"Excuse me!" The choir teacher yelled from across the vast room. Every head turned to face Jaehyun and Doyoung before they finally noticed what was going on. The broke their kiss and scooted their chairs away from each other, cheeks flushed red and eyes glued to the floor. "This is choir practice, boys! You are in advanced; you should be setting a good example for everyone else! Anyways, nobody wants to watch you guys make out." 

"It's kinda hot, actually," Chenle mumbled from the beginning choir section. 

"Quiet!" The choir teacher yelled to the freshman. "Now, both of you are on warning. If I catch you one more time I'm deducting your solos! Please! Save that stuff for when you're at home." 

With an exaggerated sigh she turned back to directing beginning choir as Jaehyun and Doyoung shamefully grimaced. Doyoung shot Taeil a glare as he started dying in the back. 

"Stop!" Doyoung whined, but Taeil kept laughing. "Or I'll take videos when you and Johnny are kissing and send them to our group chat." At that Taeil immediately fell silent. 

"That was...awkward," Jaehyun mumbled to Doyoung with a shy chuckle. Doyoung nodded and giggled softly, resting his head on Jaehyun's shoulder once again. Jaehyun ran his fingers through Doyoung's pitch black hair. 

"You're still blushing," Jaehyun said softly to Doyoung, looking over at him with a smile. 

"You too!" Doyoung protested. Jaehyun giggled and poked Doyoung's cheek. 

"It's cute," he mumbled. Doyoung groaned and rolled his eyes. 

"So cheesy," he complained, but he was trying to fight his own smile. 

"I promise I'll kiss you more later," Jaehyun whispered into Doyoung's ear. Doyoung gave Jaehyun a look. 

"You better!" He responded. 

"Advanced choir, come down!" The choir instructor yelled, and the juniors and seniors groaned, walking down to where their teacher was. Taeil gave the boys a smirk as he passed by. 

"Remember what I said about you and Johnny!" Doyoung shouted down to Taeil. 

"Doyoung and Jaehyun, there better not be any more kissing from you two," the teacher said as she flipped for the song book. 

"Not until after practice, ma'am," Jaehyun responded. Doyoung gave Jaehyun a glare but he couldn't stay mad for long, holding back his laughter. 

"This soulmate thing is the worst thing that ever happened to me," the choir teacher complained. 

"It's the best thing that's ever happened to me," Jaehyun whispered into Doyoung's ear, and he couldn't stop grinning for the rest of practice. 

~~~~~~~~~~

Usually for Jaemin, because of his extended curfew, Friday nights meant hanging out with Chenle, Donghyuck, and Jisung. But crazily enough, Jeno himself had asked Jaemin to go for dinner with him. His friends had encouraged him to go, so now Jaemin was at Granite Run diner, happily sitting across from Jeno in the evening time. 

"This is really fun," Jeno admitted, sipping on his coca-cola. Jaemin took a sip from his own drink and smiled wide. 

"It is. I'm glad we could finally hang out outside of school," he responded. He was telling the truth; he'd been wanting to spend more time with Jeno for a while now, but he hadn't wanted to push him. Jaemin had promised himself he'd give Jeno space to get over Renjun, but that was getting harder and harder. 

Despite everything, Jaemin was finding himself falling for Jeno. His integral sweetness, his unending loyalty, his smile, his laugh, his eyes, everything were just making Jaemin want him more and more. Jaemin could see, though, that Jeno still had real feelings for Renjun. It was painful to watch, but he pushed it aside. He had Jeno all to himself for a little while, and he was going to use that time well. 

The waittress approached them and they ordered; Jeno getting a burger and Jaemin getting the chicken tenders. 

"We both kinda got kid food," Jeno said with a giggle. 

"It's a diner; what do you expect?" Jaemin responded. "And I know it's hard to believe sometimes, but we are only fourteen. We're technically still kids." Jeno made a face at Jaemin's words and took another sip of his soda before smiling up at Jaemin. 

"You've been so good to me," Jeno spoke out of the blue. 

"What do you mean?" Jaemin responded. 

Jeno thought for a moment. "You've understood. You've given me my space when I need it and haven't pushed me, but at the same time you've really encouraged me in helping getting over..." Jeno paused for a moment. "Him," he finished with a sigh. "I just want you to know I've noticed, and I appreciate it." 

Jaemin shook his head and smiled. "It's nothing. It's the right thing to do." 

"No, it's not nothing. I think anyone else would've been really angry at me at this point. You're special, Jaemin. And you really are helping me." 

Jaemin blushed softly, looking down at the table with a gentle smile. His big eyes looked up into Jeno's, brushing his hair back. "Are you sure?" 

Jeno nodded. "I-I'm not all the way there yet, but I'm starting to move on." 

Jaemin tried to hide how happy was. God, he liked Jeno way too much. 

The waittress brought their food over just then, and the two boys dug in right away. They fell silent as they devoured their food, their plates practically clear in just a few minutes. 

"Wow," Jeno said, looking over both their plates when they were done. 

"My mom says I'm an animal when it comes to food," Jaemin responded. 

Jeno chuckled. "Mine too. But then she says, you're a growing boy, you need to eat," he spoke, putting on a motherly voice and doing an impression of his mom that made Jaemin giggle. 

They paused for a moment before Jaemin spoke. "You know what you were saying earlier?" Jeno nodded. "Well, I just wanted to say I'm really glad to hear that. I am. I-I know it's different for you," Jaemin stuttered, his tone becoming more nervous. "B-but I'm really starting to, uh, really like you. Like...you know. So...yeah." 

Jeno sighed softly. "O-obviously there's still the whole Renjun thing... b-but I'm starting to like you too. I promise," Jeno responded. 

"Really?" Jaemin asked with genuine surprise. 

"Uh huh," Jeno said. 

Jaemin laughed. "Well, I'm really glad to hear that. I was kinda sorta afraid I didn't have a chance at all," he admitted. 

"No way. You're not only super nice, but you're super cute," Jeno said. 

"Of course I am," Jaemin teased, pretending to brush hair behind his shoulder, but Jeno remained smiling. "Wait, you're serious?" Jaemin asked. Jeno nodded, and Jaemin's expression bloomed into a grin. 

"Hold on, I gotta use the bathroom," Jaemin said. He ran off to the bathroom, but instead of using it he whipped out his phone. 

"Okay guys holy Jeno just called me cute help me I am DYING," Jaemin typed before sending the message into his group chat with Chenle, Donghyuck, and Jisung. 

"Omg congrats!" Chenle responded immediately. 

"Jeno calls you cute but Mark calls me his boyfriend," Donghyuck added. 

"Stfu hyuck," Jisung typed, and Jaemin laughed as he exited the bathroom to return to Jeno. 

By the time he got there, Jeno had already gotten the check and paid. 

"Come on!" Jaemin whined. "I wanted to pay. Or at least split. My parents gave me money and everything." 

"You pay next time," Jeno responded, and Jaemin grinned wide at the idea of a next time. 

Even though both of them wanted to stay longer, they knew their parents would be mad if they stayed out too late, so they texted their parents to come pick them up. Jaemin's parents got there pretty quickly, and Jaemin frowned. 

"I'll see you Monday," Jaemin said sadly. He knew this date would just make it harder for him to go two whole days without seeing Jeno. 

"See you then," Jeno responded. The two freshman faced each other awkwardly before Jeno just mumbled ' it' and reached across, wrapping him up in a tight hug. Jaemin hugged back right away, sighing with relief as the soulmate sparks passed between them. He felt so safe in Jeno's big, strong arms, smiling wide as he finally pulled away. 

"Bye," Jeno said adorably. 

"Bye bye," Jaemin responded, waving goodbye and walking back to his parent's car with a little skip in his step.