Mine

Sparks Fly

With Yuta in his life, Sicheng's mornings had gone from dull and monotonous to exciting and lovely. Every day before class, Yuta would pick him up in his car and give him a ride to school. They talked, laughed, and shared music with each other, Yuta's hand on Sicheng's knee, making the dreadful school days just a little less horrible to look forward to. 

When they arrived at school, Yuta would park the car and they'd gather their things from their locker. They would walk hand and hand down the halls, Sicheng no longer afraid of being seen with Yuta. He was proud to be Yuta's, to be able to hold onto his hand and kiss him in front of everyone. It felt good; it felt right. 

But today, things were different. Sicheng had repressed all thoughts of the Christian Club and Jungwoo, trying to enjoy being with Yuta. He hadn't been to the club or even spoken to Jungwoo since their big fight those weeks ago. He tried not to think about it, but he was upset. Jungwoo was his best friend; and now they weren't friends at all. 

Sicheng was forced to think about it as Yuta was walking him to his first class. Sicheng saw Jungwoo pass by and turned his head down, hoping his old friend wouldn't notice him. Although Jungwoo usually walked with his head down himself, he noticed Sicheng walk past, holding hands with Yuta. Sicheng looked up to see Jungwoo give him the meanest and cruelest look he'd ever seen Jungwoo give anybody. 

Sicheng swallowed thickly as his happy smile turned into a frown. He'd suspected it before, but now he knew it was true: he couldn't be himself, express his true uality, and still have Jungwoo as his friend. Not even the soulmate sparks could keep him happy now, his eyes filling with tears as his walking pace slowed down. 

Immediately, Yuta sensed his mood and stopped, pulling Sicheng off to the side of the hallway. Sicheng rubbed his eyes, not wanting to seem so weak in front of Yuta. They hadn't been together that long, and Sicheng wasn't sure if he was ready to be vulnerable around him. 

"What's wrong?" Yuta asked with genuine concern, cupping Sicheng's soft cheek in his large hand. Sicheng shakes his head and Yuta tilts his to get a better look at his soulmate. "Please," Yuta added. "I promise I won't judge you. I want to make you feel better." 

"W-well, you know Jungwoo?" Sicheng asked, trying to stop his voice from shaking so much. Yuta nodded. 

"Yeah. He's a sophomore, in the Christian club. You two used to spend a lot of time together," Yuta responded. 

Sicheng nodded, pausing for a moment to articulate his words. "He used to be my best friend. Since we were little kids, too. We met in Sunday school," Sicheng explained. "Our families got along really well, since they all have similar values. Except...Jungwoo and his family are really strict in their Christian beliefs. They think homouality is a sin and look down on gay people." Yuta nodded with sympathy, rubbing Sicheng's shoulder. "I guess once I admitted that you were my soulmate and didn't try to hide it or anything, Jungwoo decided we couldn't be friends any more. After that big fight in Christian club he and his family cut off all contact with me. I was trying to keep it all in, but today when we were walking down the hall, he gave me a dirty look, and Jungwoo never does stuff like that, he's never outright mean..." Sicheng trailed off, and without a moment's pause Yuta pulled him into a big hug. 

Sicheng sniffled into his chest as Yuta rubbed his hair, holding him close, glaring at anyone who gave them so much as a second glance. 

"That sounds really painful," Yuta mumbled softly, and Sicheng nodded. 

"Y-yeah," he stuttered, pulling away from Yuta and wiping his eyes. "Sorry if I got tears on your shirt," he added, his voice cracking as he dried his eyes. 

"I don't mind," Yuta responded, cracking that beautiful smile, and Sicheng couldn't help but smile back. 

"A-and...here's the thing," Sicheng spoke with a sigh. "Jungwoo...he's been acting really weird lately anyways. Even before he realized I was gay he was super distant, and shakey, and just...nervous." Sicheng sighed again. "I'm honestly worried about him, but he doesn't want me around, so there's nothing I can do." 

Yuta sighed, caressing Sicheng's hand. "He doesn't deserve a friend like you." 

"No, he doesn't," Sicheng responded with a sad chuckle. "But he's practically my brother. I don't want to see him hurt." 

"I know. But if he doesn't give you the same love, then I don't want you to waste your energy on him. He's a homophobic . But maybe you coming out will teach him that it isn't such a sin or a big deal, and maybe he will come around. But until then, try not to pay him any mind. It'll only make you more upset," Yuta spoke. 

"But then I don't have any friends," Sicheng admitted quietly. 

Yuta gave him an offended look. "Then who am I?" He asked in shock. 

"You're more than my friend," Sicheng responded with a giggle, and Yuta was immediately soothed. 

"You can totally hang out with my friends. I know they're not the coolest people in the world, but I'm sure they'll like you. They've barely even spoken to you and they already like you more than me." Sicheng giggled, and tugged Yuta down the hall towards their class. Yuta smiled; knowing Sicheng felt better made him at peace. 

They walked in silence for a few moments before Sicheng spoke up, in a quiet tone. "This whole thing with Jungwoo has me thinking about things I've never really wanted to think about before." 

Yuta looked down at him attentively, wrapping his arm around Sicheng's shoulder. 

"M-my family is religious too, like Jungwoo's. Our families are good friends, actually," Sicheng spoke. "It makes me nervous...what if they're homophobic too? What if they found out about us and forced us not to be together, or threw me out? What if they stopped loving me because of this? We've never even talked about it at home. Homouality has never even been brought up. I have no idea how they feel, and I'm afraid to even ask." 

Yuta paused to take in Sicheng's words, squeezing Sicheng's shoulder, the soulmate sparks soothing Sicheng just a bit. 

"I-I can sort of understand how that feels, because I'm out to my family, but I have a relative who doesn't approve," Yuta slowly explained. "But in the big picture, my family is mostly accepting. I know it's scary to think that your family may not love for something so simple, but I promise I'll never let you be alone. My family will always be open for you to join. They'll love you, I'm sure." 

"R-really? You mean that?" Sicheng asked quietly, and Yuta gave him a nod and a smile. 

"Of course. You always have my family, I promise." 

Sicheng beamed and hugged Yuta again, the pair just outside of Sicheng's classroom. 

"I feel like you learned a lot about me this morning," Sicheng mumbled as he was in Yuta's arms. 

"I did," Yuta responded. "And it only makes me like you more." 

Sicheng felt his heart speed up in his chest and a smile bloom on his face. 

"You're so sweet," Sicheng said quietly. 

"Only for you," Yuta said, before laughing sort of nervously. "Uh, this is probably not the right time to ask you this, because class starts in, like, ten minutes." Sicheng pulled away anxiously from the hug, nodding at Yuta. "But I feel like I'll regret it if I don't ask you know." Sicheng awaited the question, hoping Yuta wouldn't ask about or ruin everything they'd worked up to. 

"Will you be my boyfriend?" Yuta eventually choked out, looking at Sicheng nervously. 

"Of course!" Sicheng almost screamed, rushing into Yuta and giving him a big kiss, right in the hallway. But he didn't care who noticed, because now Yuta was really his, and he was really Yuta's. He knew for a fact now to just trust Yuta, that he for sure would never push him too far, that he respected him and cared about him on a deep level. 

When they finally pulled away from the kiss Yuta beamed down at his now boyfriend, tucking a lock of hair behind his ear. 

"Mine," Yuta mumbled softly. 

"Yours," Sicheng giggled back, feeling like he and Yuta were the only two people in the whole world. 

Suddenly, the bell for class rang, turning Yuta and Sicheng's attention up to the bell. They simoultaneously sighed, Yuta placing a soft peck on Sicheng's lips. 

"I'll see you at lunch," Yuta said quietly, staring adoringly at his soulmate. 

"See you then," Sicheng responded, unable to keep the grin off of his face as he stepped into class, his mind on Yuta, Yuta, Yuta. 

~~~~~~~~~~

It was lunchtime, and Taeil was sitting with his usual gang: Doyoung, Kun, and Mark. Yuta had abandoned them to go cuddle with Sicheng in peace, but the others were all there, almost as if nothing had changed. 

Suddenly, a pair of hands s around Taeil's waist, and he immediately smiled. The soulmate sparks told him there was only one person it could be: Johnny. 

"Hi babe," Johnny mumbled in his deep voice. 

"H-hi," Taeil stuttered back, trying not to blush so much in front of his friends. Johnny just sat down next to him, pulling a McDonald's bag out of his backpack. 

"Is it okay if I sit with you guys today?" Johnny asked, and Taeil was shocked. 

"Oh absolutely," Doyoung spoke with a sly grin, and Taeil knew he wanted to pick Johnny's brain (and maybe get some funny stories or gossip about Taeil out of him). 

"You...you wanna sit here?" Taeil asked Johnny quietly. 

"Of course," Johnny responded without a second thought. "I've missed you," he added, that perfect little smile making Taeil feel at ease. 

Taeil was still confused. Why would Johnny want to sit with his friends? He was popular, and he and his friends were total nerds. He'd already told Johnny how dorky his friends were, yet Johnny was still here. Not that Taeil minded, of course. He'd eat up every second of time he got to spend with his boyfriend. But it still made him sort of suspicious. 

Doyoung didn't seem to care, immediately asking Johnny about their dates and how Taeil kissed and just generally prying for information. But Kun and Mark seemed very surprised, their phones put away for once, putting a pause on talking to their soulmates. Taeil could tell they were just as confused as him. 

But as Johnny was talking to Doyoung, he wrapped his arm around Taeil's waist, and Taeil felt less weirded out. Instead, it just felt right. Johnny was with him, and he felt safe. 

"Okay, but what is dating Taeil really like? I can't imagine it; he's like our ing grandpa," Doyoung said. 

"If he's a grandpa, then he's the cutest and hottest grandpa ever," Johnny responded with a grin. Taeil hid his face, unable to push the smile and redness off of his face. "I'm just kidding. Honestly, Taeil's the best thing that ever happened to me." 

"Aww!" Doyoung, Kun, and Mark simoultaneously spoke. Taeil couldn't hide his grin anymore, giggling sweetly. 

"You two are so gross together," Kun cooed. Johnny and Taeil simply laughed. 

"So, you're not going to tell us any embarrassing details about Taeil?" Doyoung spoke. 

"No. There's nothing to tell," Johnny responded. 

"Don't lie; you know I'm cringe central," Taeil said. 

"I'm serious! I don't think you're cringey. I'm the one with all the bad puns," Johnny answered.

"Okay, if you're not going to gossip with me about Taeil, then what's the point of you even sitting with us?" Doyoung whined. Johnny looked surprised for a moment before Doyoung laughed. 

"God, I'm just kidding!" Doyoung added, and Johnny laughed. 

"You're quite the handful, aren't you? Jaehyun must have a lot on his plate," Johnny teased. Doyoung grimaced and Johnny immediately sensed his tension, and he fell silent. 

"Imagine having Donghyuck as your soulmate," Mark mumbled, lightening the mood. Everyone laughed loudly; Donghyuck was infamous. 

Kun began discussing choir details with Doyoung, and Johnny turned to Taeil. 

"Do you want to sit on my lap?" He asked quietly, and Taeil immediately smiled. 

"Y-yeah," he stuttered excitedly. He loved being held by Johnny, and a part of him did kind of want to show off how close he and Johnny were to his friends. 

Taeil nestled himself on Johnny's lap and Johnny held him tight. 

"Please don't have here," Mark groaned. 

"Oh my god! We're just cuddling," Taeil whined. 

"Someone's jealous," Johnny teased, and Mark immediately flushed red. 

"With Donghyuck, no less," Doyoung added, and the laughter increased as Mark's face became redder and redder. 

"Guys," Mark whined, but he was holding back his own giggles, accustumed to the teasing of their group. 

"Where's the other one?" Johnny suddenly asked. "The other guy who hang out with you all." 

"Oh, Yuta?" Taeil asked, turning his head to respond to Johnny

"Yeah," Johnny responded, rubbing Taeil's waist as he pulled him closer on his lap. "I think he's in one of my classes." 

"He's abandoned us to make out with his soulmate," Doyoung grumbled. 

"No way, Sicheng would never make out with anyone until there was a ring on his finger. They're just cuddling affectionately and sweetly and innocently pecking each other on the lips," Kun teased. 

"Sicheng the Christian? And Yuta? Seems like an odd combo," Johnny spoke. 

"It's seemed to work out so far," Mark responded. "Sicheng was hesitant about the whole thing at first, but now he and Yuta are crazy about each other. Yuta can't shut up about him." 

"Just like Taeil can't shut up about Johnny," Doyoung added. 

"You can't shut up about me?" Johnny asked quietly in Taeil's ear. Taeil smiled and nodded shyly. 

"I can't shut up about you either. My friends are so sick of it. I heard them breath sighs of relief when I left to go sit with you guys," Johnny explained. The others laughed, sneaking a glance over at Johnny's friends. They all seemed to be watching Johnny, cheering him on as he held Taeil in his lap. 

"Want some?" Johnny asked Taeil, holding up a fry. 

"Yes please," Taeil responded, and Johnny put the fry in Taeil's mouth. Taeil giggled. 

"Excuse me as I go throw up," Doyoung responded with a grimace. 

"I never thought you'd be the type to go overboard with the PDA, Taeil," Mark added. 

"At least I didn't get caught making out with my soulmate my by chem teacher in his office," Taeil responded. Johnny laughed loudly. 

"Is that true?" He asked. Mark nodded shyly while blushing. 

"See, at least I take Taeil on real dates," he added, pecking Taeil's soft cheek. "Speaking of, where should we go on our next date?"

"Let's get coffee one morning," Taeil mumbled softly as the others became involved in their own conversation. 

"Alright, baby," Johnny responded, running his fingers through Taeil's soft hair as they ate their food.

Taeil snuggled deeper into Johnny's lap. He could definitely get used to being with Johnny more often, being affectionate all the time and having his touch around. Before this whole soulmate ordeal, Taeil had thought PDA was the worst thing ever. Now he knew he was just jealous; it felt good to be able to show off his love, and to have that lovely feeling of being with Johnny to make the school day a little easier. Maybe his friends would , but he could tease them right back. It was all worth it, especially since Johnny seemed to enjoy it all too. 

Johnny rested his head on Taeil's shoulder, slipping another fry into Taeil's mouth. Taeil giggled, leaning back against Johnny's chest as Johnny played with the hair on the back of Taeil's neck. 

Kun gave them a judgemental glare and Taeil raised his eyebrows. "Just wait until we met your girlfriend," he teased. 

Just then, the first bell rang, and the group groaned. 

"How much more time until winter break?" Kun whined as they packed up their things. 

"Can I walk you to class?" Johnny asked Taeil, and Taeil nodded. Johnny took Taeil's hand, and they began to walk up the stairs together. 

"Your friends are pretty savage," Johnny spoke with a smile. "But I like them. They're funny." 

Taeil smiled back. "I'm really glad." He paused for a long time before speaking. "Why did you sit with us today anyways? Don't you wanna be with your friends?" 

"I told you; I missed you," Johnny responded. "Anyways, Taeil, I care about you a lot, so I want to know you. I want to know about your life, who you are, what you like and dislike. And getting to know your friends is a big part of that. I really wanted to get to know them better." 

"That's...really sweet," Taeil mumbled dreamily, squeezing Johnny's hand and smiling softly. It never failed to surprise him, how much Johnny really did care about him. It made him fall, fast and hard, but he wasn't scared. He knew Johnny would be there to catch him. 

"I want to get to know your friends too," Taeil said as they approached his classroom. 

"Why?" Johnny asked with a loud laugh. "They're disasters." 

"So are my friends!" Taeil responded. Just then, the second bell rang, and Johnny leaned in closer. He cupped Taeil's cheek and placed a sweet kiss on his lips, deep but chaste. 

"I'll see you soon, baby," Johnny said, unable to stop smiling when his eyes were on Taeil. Taeil smiled back and waved. 

"I'll see you, for sure," Taeil responded, walking into class with a smile.