The Secret Chamber

Haunted

Alright, she was pretty convinced that she was going crazy.

What other explanation could there be? She'd slept and dreamt of a weird place, and seen three figures. When waking up, she saw him standing there as if nothing was wrong. And clearly no one else thought it was strange as they passed by him to check up on her.

He had seemed concerned, staying for approximately an hour as her friends and family happily passed by him. He'd even stepped aside to let her sister through.

A few times, she could swear that he seemed to want to come over and talk to her, a small step forward, an open mouth, but something kept holding him back. Eventually, he sadly had turned around and left, followed by her mother coming back inside and asking her why she looked like she'd seen a ghost.

She opted to take a sick day the next morning. Her mother luckily endorsed it since her fever was still lingering, and she didn't want her to take any more chances of making it worse.

So she spent the whole day lounging about in the bed, trying hard not to think about the guys who were essentially stalking her. Not to mention, the dream she'd had the night before this fever.

Could they possibly be related? 

She shook her head. No, that didn't make sense in the least. How on earth could a simple dream cause a two day high fever?

Well, high stress had been known to manifest in various ways, from blindness to actual medical symptoms. It wasn't too far a stretch to say that it could cause a fever that lingered.

Perhaps it still lingered due to her constantly thinking about the events of the last couple of days.

So by afternoon, as her fever began to abate, she decided to take a trip to the library. She'd be missing classes, but at least she could get a head start on her project. Besides, the library wasn't too far from her house nor the campus, and it was quiet and calm.

What could possibly go wrong?

The library was pretty empty however, with only the librarian at the desk and a few people, an older couple, a few kids and one or two students, scattered throughout the massive place like bread crumbs. It made sense, since class was on, but it also helped, since she got quite a lot of the place to herself.

She sat herself down on the table in the corner, the same one she and Ken had shared a couple of days prior. She wasn't sure why, but she felt comfortable there.

She placed her sling bag on the ground, sitting up.

Her eyes widened.

He was there, leaning against the same bookshelf as he was a couple of days ago, when she saw him for the first time. 

The...the second guy who was technically stalking her.

Her breath caught in and her hand trembled. There was literally no one else in this place. The kids had left when she arrived, the students were on the complete opposite side of the library, and the old couple were on the second floor where the reader's lounge was located.

She was all alone with this guy.

He wiped his droopy eye, presumably tired of making eye contact with her, and instead turned and went behind the bookshelf. Before he disappeared behind the wooden shelf, he moved his head, gesturing for her to follow him.

She gulped. What the hell was that about?

But, there was also something in her that wanted to follow him. It was that part of her that gained control of her body.

She got up and out of the table, following the mysterious figure to where he disappeared behind the shelf. When she turned the corner however, there was no one there.

She had to admit, she felt slightly disappointed.

She looked up. Non-Fiction: 1970-2000

This was the same shelf that Ken was browsing through, looking for any sort of biography or material that could point to a case left unsolved. 

The shelf ran from where she stood horizontally to the end of the hall, being one of the bigger shelves. From where she was, the shelves were labelled according to the years, filled with biographies and recountings of wars and incidents and experiences. The bottom most shelf held newspapers from the days, well preserved and readable even in this day and age.

She looked towards the end of the shelf, and her breath hitched in .

It was a different guy this time, the guy with the strong, chiseled jaw and the big eyes. He casually leaned against the wall, looking at her, as if waiting for her to finally notice him. On seeing him, his eyebrow raised a bit, and he looked to his side before looking back at her.

Before she could comprehend what was going on, he pushed away from the wall and began walking behind the other sets of shelves, towards the end of the hall. 

She looked over from behind the shelf to see him stop near the end of the room, a few shelves away. He cast her a look before gesturing to whatever was in front of him. A couple of steps later, and he disappeared, hidden by the gigantic shelf.

She followed him, but when she turned the corner, he wasn't there, yet, someone else was.

The last guy, the one who she'd seen in her dream, and then at her house. The one who kept trying to tell her something, but couldn't, because of some sort of invisible barrier between them.

He stood over a stand, a newspaper stand of some sort, just staring at the papers. He then looked up and caught her eye. Without saying a word, he walked between the shelves and disappeared, like the other two, without a trace.

She looked at the area between the shelves that he'd gone, to find it empty. Nothing but layers and layers of books and papers all around.

She sighed. This was really messing with her head. She probably just spent the last half an hour chasing illusions.

No, they weren't illusions, nor hallucinations. This had gone beyond that.

They were delusions.

She let her hand trail off the edge before returning to where she'd seen the last guy, the newspaper stand.

It contained a bunch of old, old newspapers. Most of them weren't even available today, and she recognized the names of a couple of publishing houses that went out of business in the 90s.

They were old and a bit crinkly, but still well maintained. 

She read the headline on the topmost paper, the one he was presumably looking at. 

"Realtor's son found murdered in own home, culprit faces prison sentence."


What did that newspaper article have to do with anything?

She was sure that he was looking at it, but she had no idea what it meant. She'd gone through the article, even taking it home to go over it. 

It was a hastily written one, with identities concealed and a lot of details omitted. But from what she could tell, an influential realtor's son was found stabbed in his house, the culprit being a fellow high society classmate, who was then sentenced to life in a mental asylum since he had issues. But he never got the treatment he needed, and a couple of months later, had taken his own life. 

It was basic, but she didn't know why she kept reading and re-reading it. Was it to just pinpoint all the places where important information had been kept out, possibly due to the influence of the boy's family? 

Most importantly, what did that have to do with the delusions stalking her? 

She leaned back in her chair, putting her arm over her head and closing her eyes, if only to think for a few moments. 

A thought then provoked her.

The graveyard.

It all started there. Everything, from the visions, to the hallucinations, the dream, all started from that night she spent there.

She got up, determined, and grabbed her coat. Leaving Gahyeon with a message that she needed to study late, she slammed the door behind her and made her way to the graveyard.

She stepped into the place with a trembling heart.

In the dark of the night, it was really creepy, yet, she wasn't afraid. 

She retraced her steps to the gravestone, where she met him.

To her surprise, he was there.

Sanghyuk...

"What are you doing here?" she called out to him.

He turned to her, throwing a small ball in his hand up in the air. "Oh, Yoohyeon, nice to see you," he said with a smile. "I was wondering when you'd come."

She paused. "Y-you knew...I'd come here?"

He nodded. "I've been waiting for you for a whole day," he said, as if that sentence wasn't creepy at all. "A whole day, can you believe it? But then again, I understand, with the fever and all."

Her eyes widened. "H-how do you know that I had a fever?" she asked slowly. She was certain he didn't call her house, because they hadn't exchanged numbers. Even if he somehow found it, there was no way her mom nor her sister wouldn't have answered that call. No one by the name of Han Sanghyuk had called her house when she was lying in bed.

He tactfully ignored that question, his smile dropping slightly as he looked her over. "I assume you finally found the newspaper."

Alright, this was getting creepier and creepier...

"W-who are you?"

He stayed silent, holding eye contact with her as he bounded his ball in his palm. "I think you know," he said. "You've always known. You just couldn't believe it."

The thing in her gut, that had been itching since she met this guy, finally came out.

"Y-you're not real, are you?" she softly asked, her voice shaking with fear.

He shrugged. "Oh, I'd say I'm pretty real," he said. "So are those three."

Those three? Did he mean the guys in black? Wait...how could he know them?

He took a deep breath. "Can I just show you?" he asked, dropping the ball on the ground, where it rolled a few feet near her shoes. 

When her whole body felt like jelly and all she wanted to do was race home and scream into her pillow and then pretend all this was a bad dream, she found herself nodding. 

He smiled a relieved smile. "Great!" 

He led her behind a few gravestones to where thick foliage began. Pushing apart some of said foliage, he revealed a door. 

In a rock.

A door in a rock.

Her heart began racing again as he opened the door and turned back to her, gesturing for her to go in ahead of him. She took a deep breath before looking inside the door to find a flight of stairs leading down.

She took hesitant steps as the light from outside was just enough for her to barely see the stairs. But as she went further down, the pale light from outside grew smaller and smaller, to be replaced with a dreary, grey brown environment.

She stepped into a massive chamber, with dried leaves on the ground and walls covered with dead moss. She turned around, dropping.

This place...was exactly like the one in her dream.

Right down to the area on the side, with the metal wires making a cage. The worse thing?

The three guys were standing by the cage, looking at her in anticipation. And, as it turned out, there was someone in the cage as well.

He was dressed in black like the other three, but his clothes were torn and shredded, bits of skin peeking out through the tears. His skin was bruised and bleeding, leaving only his face clean. His black hair covered his eyes, which he used to hide his face from her.

He had his arms stretched out on either side of him, two steel chains on either hand latched onto the wall. She a breath when she saw the hands.

They were long, lean and veiny, just like the hand in her dreams.

Fear gripped at her heart, and she whipped around to where Sanghyuk stood a little aside. 

"Will you allow us to explain?" he asked.