Next Morning

Haunted

Yoohyeon took her time coming down for breakfast. She didn't need to rush, as she only had one class and that was in the afternoon, which worked out for her as last night's stunts had seriously sapped her energy. 

She sleepily stumbled downstairs and walked over to the coffee machine in order to feel a little more awake. While the machine softly hummed, she ran a hand through her red highlighted hair, pulling out the tangles as she came to the bottom. It was then that she registered the soft sound of crunching.

She turned around to find Gahyeon at the table, fully dressed and a bag of potato chips in her hand.

"How long were you there?" Yoohyeon asked.

"A while," Gahyeon said as she pushed another chip past her lips.

Yoohyeon gave a deep sigh before eyeing her younger sister. "You're dressed," she noted. "And it's Saturday..." 

Gahyeon hummed slightly. "I'm going out with my friends," she clarified, pushing her chair back. "Why? Is this weird?"

"No, no, it looks good," Yoohyeon reassured. "It's just...it's strange to see you going somewhere on a Saturday."

"Well, it is a day off," Gahyeon pointed out. "I'm not going to waste it." 

She paused when she saw the smile that Yoohyeon was giving her. "Why are you smiling like that?"

"You really are making a change this year, aren't you?" Yoohyeon softly said.

Gahyeon sighed. "I was tired," she admitted. "I said I'd make things change this year, and I have."

"I know," Yoohyeon beamed. "I'm proud of you."

Gahyeon gave her sister a beautiful smile before inching closer to her. "Since you're so proud of me..."

Yoohyeon raised an eyebrow. "Uh oh, what is this about?"

"Could you help convince Dad to let me dye my hair?"

"Absolutely not!" Yoohyeon said.

Gahyeon looked offended, and betrayed. "But-But...you got it done!" she protested. "Dad and Mom let you dye your hair and get highlights!"

"After I finished high school," Yoohyeon reminded. 

Gahyeon gaped as Yoohyeon chuckled a bit. "You know the deal, right? No dyeing of hair until school is over. And even if you did, I doubt the school would let you, since you're not an idol or anything."

Gahyeon released an exasperated grunt as Yoohyeon helplessly shrugged, even though she was enjoying this. "And give me that!" Yoohyeon snatched away the packet of chips. "Aren't you on a diet?"

Gahyeon pursed her lips. "I can diet after I eat that," she pointed out.

"Not by cheating you won't," Yoohyeon said. "I'm going to hold onto this for the day."

Gahyeon huffed and stormed past the elder into the living room. Yoohyeon then noticed that the familiar clicking against the tiled floor came from her boots, which were now adorning her sister's slender legs.

"Did you just-?" Yoohyeon stopped before she could complete, instead opting to shout down the hallway. "I want them back in pristine condition, sparkling like a thousand diamonds!" she called out. 

She then pulled out a chip from the packet she was holding and popped it in . Moments later, she made a face before checking the details of the food she had just consumed. "Ugh, not even the good kind," she grumbled.


By the time she got to class, the caffeine had begun to wear off, and she began to feel a headache coming on.

Lucky for her, Ken had noticed way before and got her a cup of coffee from the cafe outside the campus. He clicked his tongue as he placed it on the desk before her, as she groaned with her head in her hands.

"Caffeine wearing off?" he kindly asked.

Unfortunately, her throbbing head had put her in a not too good mood and she failed to acknowledge the kind gesture of her friend, just responding with a grunt. He smiled softly before sliding into the seat next to her.

"So, how did it go?" he asked.

"Huh?"

"The dare," he clarified. "How did it go?" 

"I'm here, aren't I?" she asked.

"That just proves you didn't get killed," he said. "It doesn't prove how well the dare went."

She lifted her face out of her hands and looked at him. "Are you nuts?" she asked. "You sent me, a helpless woman, to an abandoned graveyard in the middle of the night! What if something had happened to me!"

"Then I guess we'd be hearing about it on the news," he said.

She glared at him and he laughed. "Relax, you know I love you," he assured. "That neighborhood has a zero crime rate, because it has a nearly zero population rate. The only people who live there are old ladies, and there's no one for miles to come and commit crime there. The stories about the graveyard are pretty effective at keeping people away."

But then...who was the guy I met last night?

She decided to keep her question to herself, mostly because a part of her wondered whether last night had been a dream or not. She was so sleep deprived that she was sure she was remembering things wrong.

But, somehow, she remembered him.

They hadn't done much but talk, and even then not a lot. She then found out that conversation topics were hard to come by in the middle of a graveyard.

And yet, she had a nice time.

She clearly remembered his name.

Han Sanghyuk.

His dark hair, his strong jaw, deep eyes...

It was strange how in the midst of all the blurry memories from the previous night, he stood out clearly, like a red light amidst fog. 

Was this what they called infatuation?

The chattering in the room died down as Professor Yang entered the room and began addressing the class.

"Alright, class," he said. "I've got something important to discuss, but first, let's take roll call."

Yoohyeon's eyes began to feel heavy and droop. Despite the heavily caffeinated drink that Ken had brought her, her lack of sleep was getting the better of her.

As a person who couldn't function without at least 7 hours of sleep a night, she was definitely going to hell. She wondered how people like Gahyeon could happily walk around with less than five hours of sleep. She'd clearly gotten the short end of the stick.

She folded her arms on the table and lay her head on them. Even when it wasn't her intention, her eyes closed, plunging her into sweet, sweet darkness.

Red and white lights flashed in her eyes. 

She squinted as the lights threw off her vision. She then saw a hand, a decidedly masculine, veiny hand. The hand had something tied to it, something that reminded her of a handcuff.

She then switched to a chain, an old fashioned iron chain, running along the ground, going up and connecting to a figure hunched over in the darkness.

Another flash of red woke her up, and she gasped loudly, sitting up at once.

Looking around, she found herself in the classroom, with everyone, including the professor, staring at her.

"Ms. Kim Yoohyeon," Professor Yang said. "Are you alright?"

She gulped into her dry throat. "Y-yeah, I'm fine," she said hoarsely.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "Because if you feel sick, you may go to the nurse's office."

"No, no, I'm fine," she shook her head. "Sorry for disturbing the class."

She heard a few snickers from here and there and felt Ken's eyes boring into her, full of concern. Professor Yang seemed unconvinced, but decided to let it slide, turning back to taking roll.

She placed a hand on her chest, feeling her heart do its best to escape its prison in her chest. Taking a few deep breaths, she calmed herself down, gesturing to Ken that she was fine, just to make him turn his concerned gaze away, as she found it really distracting.

She cast her eyes on the brown table as a feeling of embarrassment filled her chest. She stayed low, trying to avoid the attention of everyone in the class.

It was then that she felt something was wrong.

She raised her eyes reluctantly, to find her gaze falling on the entrance.

There was a boy at the entrance.

And he was intensely gazing at her.

She didn't recognize him at all, and it scared her, with the intensity he was looking at her.

He then turned around, and left.