The Final Trigger

Haunted

"The trial was today," Yoohyeon said, as she stood in the chamber in front of the other ghosts. 

"She really did confess, huh?" Sanghyuk murmured. "It is a bit impressive."

Yoohyeon sighed. "I know," she agreed. "It was a bit of a rush though, having to submit all the work I've done to the Prosecutor, and getting a glimpse at an actual criminal justice system." 

"What did they say?" Sanghyuk asked.

"It was like I expected," Yoohyeon explained. "Everything we dug up was just circumstantial evidence, so it couldn't ever be used in court properly. But with Sua's testimony and confession, everything else fell into place."

She released a heavy breath and turned to Taekwoon. "You should have been there at the trial," she told him. "I don't know how the trial went when you were convicted, but it was much more just in this time. Sua got the judgement she deserved." 

"What was the sentence?" Sanghyuk asked.

"Life," Yoohyeon said. "They couldn't convict her for murder as it wasn't intentional at all, and even professionals attested to that. She escaped the death penalty but considering her age, the judge gave her life imprisonment, because she still killed another person and framed someone else for it."

"So she's going to live out the rest of her days in prison?" Sanghyuk asked.

"She seems fine with it," Yoohyeon said. "She actually thanked me for setting her free." She turned to Taekwoon. "You don't have to worry," she told him. "The prison situation has improved a lot. She'll be well taken care of in a separate facility due to her age." 

Sanghyuk breathed. "And so finishes your very first official case," he said.

She grinned. "I guess so," she said. "I also guess I'll have to thank you, as the prosecutor told me that this case had basically guaranteed a space in the Prosecutor's Office once I graduated." 

Sanghyuk smirked, but when his gaze fell beyond her on the gaze, his lips curved downward again. "I'm worried."

"About what?" 

"You've done good work," he told her. "And you've gotten justice and all, but why isn't his chain breaking?" 

She turned to Taekwoon and her stomach fell slightly when she noticed that yes, there was still a chain around his hand. 

She went over to the cage, bending down on her knee. "But why?" she asked. "We got justice, didn't we?" she asked. "The real perpetrator was caught and given a fair trial and a fair sentence. Isn't this justice?"

"Perhaps they have a different view of justice?" Sanghyuk suggested.

"What? The death penalty?" Yoohyeon scoffed, but then turned to Taekwoon. "You don't want her dead, do you?" she asked him. 

He quickly shook his head.

She sighed. "Then what is this justice that will break the last chain?" She released a frustrated groan.

"Calm down," Sanghyuk told her. "Take a deep breath and think."

"Think about what?" she snapped, getting to her feet and turning to him. "We've gotten so far! I've done everything you've asked of me. I've investigated this case, found the truth and brought the true murderer to justice! What more do I need to do?" 

Sanghyuk paused as she ran her hands through her hair, closing her eyes in an attempt to calm the raging blood coursing hot through her veins. 

"Perhaps...we've got it all wrong," Sanghyuk suggested after a moment.

"Wrong?" she asked, her head snapping up. "What have we done wrong?

"Perhaps traditional justice wasn't the last trigger," Sanghyuk said.

"Then what is?" Yoohyeon asked. "What else remains?" 

Sanghyuk thought about it for a moment. "I don't know," he finally admitted. "I'm stumped myself."

She sighed deeply, turning to the other three ghosts waiting by the cage. She went up to them and bowed her head. 

"I'm sorry," she told them. "I've failed you. I wasn't able to free you." 

Hakyeon immediately looked like he wanted to reach out and hold her but held himself back. When she looked up, she saw Hongbin frantically signing.

Don't blame you, the ghost signed. You did well. Thank you.

Yoohyeon felt tears of frustration prick at her eyes. "But you guys had such high hopes," she said quietly. "I know you all just wanted an end to this nightmare, but I couldn't get it for you."

She felt Sanghyuk's hand squeeze her shoulder from behind. "Hey, there might still be a chance." 

"What chance?" she asked. "I can't think of anything else!" 

"I don't know," Sanghyuk said. "But as long as that chain is there, it means we're not done yet. Perhaps there's still something left to end this story."

"And what's that?" Yoohyeon asked. "The only thing remaining is a classic drama scene where the criminal goes to the grave-"

She stopped as something popped into her mind, something Sua had told her when they'd met.

I...I couldn't bring myself to apologize.

"I know what the last trigger is," she murmured.


"Here it is," Yoohyeon said, stopping in front of a stone pitched up into the ground.

"This...this is his grave?" Sua asked, coming to stand beside her.

Yoohyeon nodded. "Things...didn't go so well for him as well," she explained to the older woman. "After his conviction, his family cut ties with him and moved away to start anew. They didn't even come back to claim the body once he...passed. So all he got was an unmarked grave in a random mismanaged graveyard."

Sua put her hand to in order to stifle her soft sobs as she looked down. 

It had taken a few days to track down the grave in particular, especially after confirming that he hadn't been cremated, and then it had further taken a week to petition the facility to allow Kim Sua to come with her for a few hours. However, despite a delay, she had finally gotten her request approved, and here they were, back at the graveyard.

She had to admit, since she'd been visiting the graveyard at nighttime in order to properly access the hidden chamber, wherever it was, she had no idea how it looked in the daytime. And when she looked at it now, she could clearly see how neglected it had become. 

Long, untrimmed grass made traversing through the graveyard difficult. The gravestones were old and cracked, almost all of them sporting light brown dust that made the names etched into them barely visible or light grey cobwebs around the edges. Creepers and vines twisted around them, bringing them into a strange embrace, welcoming the forgotten souls into the embrace of nature.

She stood in front of a very similar grave at the moment. It was much smaller than others in the graveyard, being basically a flat rock sat upright in the ground. Its edges were dulled and cracking with age, and it was covered by a thin layer of fine dust. 

Sua bent down. "So..." she softly said, "this is Taekwoon's grave."

Yoohyeon nodded. "Go ahead," she said. "You can make your peace now." 

She smiled at the younger. "Thank you so much, Yoohyeon," she said, sincerely. "W-would you mind giving us a moment or two?"

Yoohyeon grinned. "Of course."

She turned and walked a little way away in order to give Sua some privacy, but was still close enough to see the interaction going on. She took advantage of the thick foliage growing around the graveyard to hide behind and see the proceedings. 

Sua moved ahead slightly and went down to her knees in front of the stone. "H-hello, T-Taekwoon," she stammered.

She took a deep breath to steady her shaky breath. "I know its been fifty years since we last talked. And...I-I have to say...I'm sorry for driving you to kill yourself that last day." 

She drew a shaky breath. "I-I don't know if it means much coming from me, but...I'm truly, truly sorry for what happened." She ran her lithe fingers across the nameless gravestone. "I'm so sorry for falling out of love but not telling you. I'm sorry for hurting you for as long as I did. I'm sorry for putting my personal feelings ahead of our relationship."

She pushed a little dust off. "I-I want you to know...yes, I fell out of love with you, but no, I didn't stop loving you," she said. "You were a dear friend, and all of time is not enough to atone for what I did to you." 

She hung her head, a couple of tears escaping. "I don't know if you can ever forgive me for what I've done to you and your friends, but I hope you can at least accept my apology."

She took another deep breath. "I've had fifty years to reflect on my wrongdoings. And the worst thing I've ever done was tear you away from the life you could have had, with someone better than I was."

She pressed her forehead to the dirty stone. "Taekwoon, I'm so-so sorry. Please accept my apology."

She then drew back, wiping the dust away from her forehead, and balking a little when she saw how much of it was actually there. "Yoohyeon!" 

"Yes?"

"Do you have a cloth, or even water?"

"Do you want to clean the grave?" Yoohyeon guessed. 

Sua nodded. "I can't a good enough job since I don't have the right materials, but I just want to do a little something to honor him."

Yoohyeon nodded. "I understand, which is why I brought these." She produced a bottle of cleaner and a washcloth from her bag. "Do you need me to help you?"

Sua shook her head. "I hurt him for as long as he lived," she justified. "Allow me to do this little thing for him." 

Yoohyeon hummed in agreement and stepped back. She calmly watched as Sua sprayed the gravestone and ran the cloth over it, removing decades of dust and decay, revealing the brown-grey stone underneath. 

Once she was done, she picked up a small stone with a sharp edge off the ground and began scraping something on the gravestone.

Yoohyeon leaned forward, her curiosity piquing, but Sua chose that moment to drop the small stone and stand up, dusting herself off. "That should do it," the older said, a hint of triumph in her voice. 

Yoohyeon looked over at the grave to see Sua's handiwork.

The grave had been fully and completely cleaned off all dust and cobwebs, the one creeper or so that had wrapped around it removed and now lying on the ground. The stone still had a lot of moss in its crack and pretty big cracks on its surface, but it looked a lot better now. In the middle of it, something had been scribbled on the surface with the edge of a sharp stone.

JTW

"It might not last long," Sua said. "But at least its not an unmarked grave anymore."

Yoohyeon smiled. "I'll see if I can get something a little more permanent done for him," she assured the elder. "Then he truly won't be forgotten."

Sua placed her hand on Yoohyeon's shoulder. "No," she softly said. "It's people like you and me who will make sure he lives on."

"Me?"

Sua hummed lightly. "I'll take his name and his memory to my grave with me," she said. "But its people like you, someone who won't stop until the truth is discovered, who will make sure he will never be forgotten."

She took the younger's hands in hers and squeezed them lightly. "Promise me, Yoohyeon," she said sternly. "Promise me you won't forget him."

Yoohyeon smiled. "I promise," she said.

"I won't forget him."