Remaining Piece

Haunted

"Hm," Sanghyuk mused, hands on his hips as Yoohyeon shuffled around in the old boxes. "I seriously had no idea people still use these things."

"They don't," Yoohyeon said. "But my parents didn't want to get rid of it."

"Then why is it sitting in a box in a dusty attic?" He coughed as she moved a box, releasing dust into the air.

She turned to him. "You're a ghost," she pointed out. "How the hell can you cough?"

He mockingly waved some of the dust away. "Can't a ghost have fun?" 

She ignored him, instead taking out an old recorder and placing it on the dusty table in front of her. He slid over the tape to her and she took it in her hands, but hesitated in placing it inside the recorder.

"Something wrong?" he wondered.

She shook her head. "No, nothing," she quickly assured him. "I...just don't know what to expect..."

"You think you might get the answer you're looking for?" he questioned.

She shrugged. "I'm not sure what I'll get with this tape."

He stayed calm, instead settling down beside her as she opened the recorder and placed the old tape inside. Closing it, she hit the "Play" button.

"Wait," he quickly said, as an afterthought. "Doesn't this have batteries?"

She cast him a look. "Yes...I already took care of that," she said slowly, as if he were dumb. She pointed to a long cable attached to the tape, which she'd already connected to a socket.

He scoffed as the tape scratched slightly and a voice began to play.

"This is audio record of patient Jung Taekwoon," an older masculine voice said. Must be Dr. Cho, she surmised. "Now, if you're ready, shall we begin?"

"S-sure," another voice answered. This one was soft and quiet, almost inaudible, yet left an impact. It had to be none other than Taekwoon.

"So that's what he sounds like..." she murmured.

"Hm?" Sanghyuk asked.

"Nothing," she said, turning his attention back to the tape.

"So, when we spoke earlier, you said you had anger management issues, is that correct?" Dr. Cho asked.

"Yes," Taekwoon replied clearly. 

"Do you suspect otherwise?"

"I-I don't know." She could picture Taekwoon sitting in a white room, with an old doctor in front of him, with Taekwoon looking down at his hands. "I've been to three different doctors, but none of them can figure out what's wrong with me."

"And could you tell me?" Dr. Cho calmly responded.

Silence, followed by a bit of shuffling. "Alright," Dr. Cho's stable voice resounded. "You may tell me at your own time. "Instead, would you tell me what troubles you?"

"Huh?"

"What is in your heart that makes it so full of unease?"

A moment of silence fell over them, with neither Taekwoon nor Dr. Cho breaking it. Sanghyuk gave a small sigh in order to diffuse the heavy cloud that had descended over them. "Sure is awkward, huh...?"

Yoohyeon shushed him. "If you push someone like Taekwoon when they aren't comfortable, they'll just clam up and stop talking," she explained to him. "You need to give him his time."

Sanghyuk raised an eyebrow. "Someone like Taekwoon?" he repeated. 

She looked up at him. "Is something the problem?" she asked, quickly pressing the "pause" button on the recorder.

"Not really," he responded. "But don't you think you're referring to him a bit too casually?" he asked, seeming concerned.

She imitated his scoff. "What brought this on?" she asked. "What? Are you jealous that I'm looking into Taekwoon's case or something?"

"Now that makes no sense," he brushed it away. "I'm just saying, aren't you getting a bit too close with this case? You're referring to Taekwoon like you've known him for years or something."

She cast her eyes down. "Is it strange that I feel like I do?" she asked. "After all this digging around into his past, it does seem like I know him."

"But do you, really?" Sanghyuk inquired. "Keep in mind, the two of you have never shared a word of conversation."

She kept silent, as Sanghyuk went on. "And besides, you seem to be forgetting about your real-world friends. You have someone who wishes he could help you, but you shut him out entirely."

She looked at him. "What on earth are you talking about?"

"When was the last time you even spoke to Ken?" he continued. "Called him up to greet him? Even stopped to say hi after class?"

She opened to speak but found that no words could escape it. He was right, she really couldn't remember the last time she'd spoken to Ken. 

"And what about Gahyeon?" he said.

"What about her?" she quickly countered.

"Don't get snappy with me," he told her. "You know what Haejin told us, right? Don't tell me that that hasn't been on your mind."

Before he could continue, she quickly pushed down the "play" button, effectively ending their conversation. The tape sparkled to life with a nervous cough from Taekwoon.

"Uh, how do I explain this?" he wondered. "I feel like I'm losing control."

"Losing control?" Dr. Cho echoed. "Of what? Your life?"

"No, not really," Taekwoon clarified. "I feel like I'm losing control...on...this...thing that I have. I feel like I'm losing control of my sanity."

"Did something happen?" Dr. Cho calmly asked. "Perhaps at school?"

"Jaehwan..."

A bit of shuffling was heard. "Who might this be? A fellow classmate?"

"He...considers himself my...rival." 

"Don't you?"

"I don't really care about him. He was just a new student."

"But now you worry?"

"A bit." A deep sigh was heard. "He hasn't even been here an entire year, and yet he's already surpassed me."

"In what ways?"

"He topped the school in the last exam," Taekwoon explained. "He brought the school a victory for the first time in volleyball. Not to mention, he's polite. Everyone loves him."

"Are you jealous of him, by any chance?" Dr. Cho carefully asked.

"Of beating me in school? No," Taekwoon clearly answered. "I am jealous of the fact that he doesn't have this...condition...to deal with."

"Hm," Dr. Cho hummed, seeming to be considering the youngster's words. "But that isn't the end, is it? What else is on your mind?"

"I...I feel like I'm losing the people I love..." Taekwoon admitted in a slow voice.

"Hm?" Dr. Cho's hum was inquisitive and curious. "The people you love? You mean your friends?"

"My friends...have been supportive of me...through...everything," Taekwoon admitted. "They've seen me at my worst, at least...Hakyeon did."

"You fear they may be leaving you?" Dr. Cho wondered.

"I'm not sure, they've stuck with me through thick and thin," Taekwoon said. "But...I wonder if they sometimes think about what it would be like to not have to deal with a friend like me. To not have to constantly worry about whether I'm going to punch someone or break down in the middle of the conversation."

Dr. Cho sighed, in tune with Yoohyeon's. "Please, continue," he said. "Is there someone else you're worried about?"

"M-my girlfriend...Bora."

Her ears pricked up. This was the second time she was hearing that name, the first time being when Hongbin's sister had dropped her name in passing. 

"Your girlfriend? You worry she is unfaithful?"

"I-I don't know. She always told me that she'd always stay with me, but that was before we met Jaehwan."

"Did something happen?"

"No, not at all, but they shared a handshake the other day." Yoohyeon visibly sighed. "She also went to congratulate him on the victory he brought to the school."

"And the problem was...?"

"My match was the same day, but she went to support him instead."

"You believe she may be considering leaving you?"

Taekwoon took a deep breath which could be heard through the bad quality audio. "I think...she's getting tired of me...and is thinking of someone better."

Dr. Cho paused for a moment. "And what of this incident that happened at school?" he wondered.

"I-I punched Jaehwan, in the face."

A moment of silence descended upon them once again. "Alright," Dr. Cho said. "And does this have anything to do with the reason you wanted us to record this session but keep it off the books?"

"Yes, a little," Taekwoon agreed.

"Then would you mind telling us?"

"I want to record this interaction, because...I want something of me left," Taekwoon said. 

"What do you mean?" Dr. Cho asked.

"When-If...I do something I regret...I want a piece of me to remain, a piece of my story. Perhaps, someday...that piece will give someone I love the closure they need."