The Tape

Haunted

"Cho? Cho Kyuhyun?" Haejin exclaimed. "Why on earth would you want to meet him?"

"Why? Do you not like him or something?" Yoohyeon asked.

"It's not that," Haejin explained, shuffling some papers into order and placing them on top of a small stack of files. "I just don't see what he has to do with your investigation."

"And you'd say that...why?" Yoohyeon gulped. It seemed like her cousin was onto her.

"Well, for one thing, he's a gynaecologist," Haejin pointed out. "I thought your case had to do with the psyche, unless this guy of yours was actually a girl-"

"It's not like that!" she quickly stopped him before he could continue to suggest Taekwoon being a female.

"Then what?" the elder questioned. He then narrowed his eyes. "Perhaps, are you-?"

"Not that either!" Yoohyeon sighed.

"Then what?"

She took a deep breath. "I-it's hard to explain," she said. "Can I just ask you to trust me?" 

"That's a bold request," Haejin pointed out. "Asking someone to trust you when you won't trust them enough to tell them why."

She sighed. She was definitely doing a lot of that nowadays. "Please?" she pleaded. "It's extremely complicated, and urgent, so can you please overlook it this one time?" 

Haejin paused, studying her face, before letting out a frustrated exhale. "I guess I can't say no," he said. "Alright, I'll get you an appointment with Dr. Cho."

She exhaled, smiling. "Thanks so much!" she told him as he gathered up a few of the papers remaining on the desk and walked out from behind it. "You have no idea how much you helped."

"Well, you definitely owe me one," he grumbled. "I seriously have no idea what could have caused you to become this fixed on a target. From what I remember, you weren't such a stubborn girl years ago." 

"Things changed," she said simply. "I changed."

"In a couple of months?" he questioned.

"I just found something to fight for."

He watched her for a few moments before nodding. "Well, I can't talk, since I've changed too," he admitted. "I'll see what I can do about that appointment."

She nodded, turning to leave when his voice stopped her.

"Oh, by the way," he said. "Your friend was in here the other day."

She turned around. "My friend? Who?"

"I don't quite remember her name," he said. "But I do remember she had...like...long red hair."

Jiu? 

Only one person she knew who had long red hair.

"What was she doing here?" Yoohyeon asked.

"I wasn't there, just heard about it through another doctor. She'd asked for me," he said.

"What about?"

"Something related to Gahyeon."

Gahyeon?

Oh God, had something happened to Gahyeon?

"Gahyeon is fine," Haejin said, reading the panicked look on Yoohyeon's face. "It was just that...a 'friend' of hers got an injury, a pretty bad injury, but Gahyeon couldn't reach you. So she contacted your friend instead."

A wave of relief washed over her, succeeded shortly by an even larger wave of guilt. She'd been unable? When her sister needed her? 

Did this happen when she was down in the chamber? 

How could this have happened?

Haejin took a deep breath, stepping forward and placing a hand on her shoulder. "I know you wouldn't intentionally be unreachable, to Gahyeon of all people," he assured. "But, I do want to warn you."

He took a deep breath. "Even though you're doing your best for this case of yours, don't let it distract you from your real duty," he advised. "You're Gahyeon's elder sister. You have a responsibility towards her."

She nodded, swallowing the small lump that had built up in . "Yes, I know."


She had waited in the office for ten minutes before the door opened and a man in his early thirties strolled in, dressed in a crisp suit.

"Oh, are you Kim Yoohyeon?" he asked. "I'm sorry, I got stuck in traffic. I hope I didn't keep you waiting?"

"Oh no, it's absolutely fine," she said, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears as the young doctor quickly went to his desk, placing his briefcase and making his way to the coat hanger.

"If you'll just give me a minute, we'll get started on the diagnosis," he said, mindlessly removing his black blazer and hanging it up, reaching for the white lab coat neatly hanging on one of the branches.

"Actually," Yoohyeon interrupted him, "I didn't come here for a diagnosis."

He paused, turning around. "Then why?"

"I'm looking for a tape," she said. "A tape made by your grandfather."

Kyuhyun froze. "What do you know of that tape?" he asked, narrowing his eyes at her.

"Just that its contents might be the key to getting a restless spirit justice in death."

He raised an eyebrow. "That tape?" he asked. "What on earth would you want with that tape?"

"Like I said," she said. "I'm looking into a cold case, and that tape is essential to figuring this out."

He watched her for a moment before silently making his way to his desk. Opening a drawer, he pulled out an old fashioned tape, with the letters "TW" written on the faded and tearing paper in black ink. 

"My grandfather gave this to me on his deathbed," Kyuhyun said, placing the tape on the table. "He told me to keep it safe, to not give it to anyone, that he had made a promise to someone. I never knew what this was, neither did I think I'd ever know."

She sighed. "Your grandfather was visited by a patient 50 years ago," she explained. "They made an anonymous tape that was entirely off the books. However, just a few months after that tape, that patient was accused of murdering a fellow classmate, and killed himself in the sanatorium he was put in."

Kyuhyun pursed his lips. "That's quite the story," he said. "So you're looking into it?"

She nodded. "Assignment," she simply said, explaining her entire involvement with the case in a simple word.

He nodded. "Well, the guy's long dead by now," he said. "He shouldn't mind if you listen to this. Unless there's something in here that he wants to protect even in death."

"That's what I need to find out," Yoohyeon said.

Kyuhyun picked up the tape in his slender fingers and looking at it before placing it back on the table and sliding it over to her.

She looked at it with wide eyes. "You're just going to give it to me?" she asked.

He nodded. "Well, I don't have any use for an old tape that's just taking up space in my workdesk," he said. "And besides, you seem to know a lot more about this than I do. You'll use this well."