Haunted Graveyard

Haunted

She walked into the graveyard, her heart beating like crazy.

"What the hell, Yoohyeon?" she asked herself. "You can't actually believe those stories they were telling. They're just stories."

She looked around the graveyard. 

The only source of light came from the full moon, casting light on the moss covered tombstones. Cracks and dust lined the rough surfaces and weeds and creepers had taken over the stones. Leaves and untamed grass littered the ground, crunching under her feet, providing the only other source of sound apart from the ambient noise of crickets. 

She took a deep breath.

"Nothing to be scared of," she murmured. "Just a little old graveyard."

It was then that her hyperactive imagination saw fit to constantly remind her of all the horror movies and novels she had seen and read. Not to mention, the scary movie she'd seen with Gahyeon a week back wasn't helping matters at all.

During the movie, while Gahyeon hid her face in her hands, Yoohyeon had been marveling at how creepy the ghosts were. At the moment, those very creepy ghosts haunted her thoughts, making her hand tremble lightly.

To distract herself, she walked over to a grave, inspecting it.

She reached out her hand, running it across the cool and rough surface. Moss covered it almost entirely, reaching down the gravestone and creepers hung over the edges. Dust covered the engraving and she wiped a bit off to read the name.

"Si Kwang Eop" it read. "1932-1965."

"He died young, didn't he?"

Her head snapped up as she almost jumped out of her skin. Her frantic eyes immediately searched for the source of the voice as her heart beat out of her chest.

As she looked up, she spotted a figure sitting on one of the other gravestones not too far.

"W-who are you?" she asked. 

The figure grinned, looking down at the grave. "What do you think could have made him die so young?" he wondered. "Perhaps a chronic illness? Unfortunate accident? Murder?"

She stayed silent, considering him.

He looked to be around her age, with black hair falling over his forehead and a smirk playing on his lips. "You can relax," he told her. "I'm not a murderer."

"How can I be sure?" she challenged, trying to keep the shake out of her voice. "I don't even know you."

He shrugged. "Perhaps," he agreed, "but do I look like a killer?"

"No," she granted, "but the vast majority of killers never had any significant traits distinguishing them from the rest of the population."

He raised an eyebrow at her word voice. "You in college?" he asked.

"What makes you think so?" she asked. 

"Only someone in college would use such complicated words," he pointed out. "So? Am I correct?"

She slowly nodded, still ready to run away in case he tried any funny moves.

However, it seemed that she was extremely obvious, as the guy raised an eyebrow. "I already told you that I wasn't interested in harming you," he slowly said.

She stayed silent, taking a step back. Her shoe crushed a couple of leaves under them, a jarring sound cutting through the night.

He sighed. "If you need proof, then you should know that someone like you is in the most vulnerable position there is," he explained. "If I wanted to do something to you, I would have done so already." 

She looked around herself. All she could see around her was nothing but a dark graveyard, with no signs of civilization except for the skyscrapers in the background. 

It slowly dawned on her that he was right. She wasn't the greatest fighter in the world, nor the greatest runner. Anyone with a malicious intent could have just walked right up to her and killed her if they wished. And she was in a place where no one would even hear her screams, so there was no chance of someone coming to her aid. 

She clenched her fist. Ken had sent her on this wild goose chase without even thinking of her safety. She'd kill him when she got back.

She turned back to her new friend. "So why haven't you done anything to me yet?" she challenged. 

He raised an eyebrow at her. "Why would I?" 

She stayed silent as he shrugged. "Why would I want to hurt you?" he asked. She didn't reply, so he raised an eyebrow. "Should I want to hurt you?"

She slowly shook her head. "I-I'd appreciate it if you didn't..." she trailed off.

He grinned, the corners of his lips rising. "So I guess that settles it then," he said. "So...why are you here anyway?"

"Huh?"

"It's way past midnight," he pointed out. "And you're in an abandoned graveyard with not a soul for miles. What are you doing here?"

She scoffed lightly. "A dare."

He chuckled. "A dare?" he repeated. "You came all this way for a dare?"

"What else was I expected to do?" she asked, raising her voice. "Not do it?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything," he said, before she erupted. "I know how much dares can mean."

"Why are you here?" she asked him. Truly, she wondered why this had never crossed her mind.

He shrugged. He seemed to have quite the habit of deflecting communication using body language, especially shrugging his shoulders. "Similar reasons."

"You got caught in a dare too?" she asked.

He pursed his lips. "Kind of."

She wondered what he meant by that, but he seemed reluctant to pursue the issue any further so she dropped it. A calm silence feel over them and she looked around the graveyard, looking for something to distract her from the male. Oh look, a piece of moss sitting between the cracks in one of the gravestones...

"How long will you be here," his deep voice broke the silence.

She turned back to him. "Uh...the whole night, I guess." She furrowed her eyebrow. "Why?"

"Just thinking," he said slowly. "As long as we're both here, might as well keep each other company for the night, right?"

She faltered a bit to respond. She still had no idea what to think of this guy, since she'd only just met him, yet she felt like she could trust him. Well, he had the chance to do anything to her yet he hadn't, so that meant he could be trusted, right? 

And what he said made sense. Two was better than one.

"What's your name?" she asked.

"My name?" he repeated. 

She nodded. "We've been talking for a while now and we still don't know each other's names."

She cleared slightly when he didn't respond. "I-I'm Yoohyeon," she said hesitantly.

His lips then broke into a smile. "Yoohyeon, huh?" he murmured.

"I'm Han Sanghyuk."