Dreams and Nightmares

Haunted

She closed the door behind her before slamming her back against it, breathing deeply and weakly. 

After the second visit she'd gotten from a strange barefoot boy, she was feeling quite queasy.

Mainly because, she'd asked around for a moment after he left, and no one else had seen him. 

No one, in that crowded, college library, had seen the strange barefoot boy dressed in all black leaning against a bookshelf and staring at her.

Forgive her if she had bailed at once. 

In retrospect, she felt bad. Ken had been pretty excited about the project and had even opened up to her to an extent. And he was right, if this actually took off, working with him on a case might actually be fun, and if it came with a big fat A grade, why not?

Which was why, when her mind cleared of the fear, she sent him a text apologizing for the sudden disappearance, complaining of a headache and nausea with a promise to make it up to him later. 

Her mind wandered back to the visions, as well as the two guys who were obviously eyeing her.

It definitely had nothing to do with the message Siyeon had texted her by the time she'd returned.

Her slightly trembling hand reached into the pocket of er jeans and pulled out her phone, opening up the messages and the one at the top, from Siyeon.

"I'm sorry, Yoohyeon," the message read. "We asked around all day, but no one has seen a guy dressed in black walking around barefoot on campus."

Her fingers tightened around her phone.

Alright, now she had gone from uneasy to really, really uneasy.

How could no one have seen him? She saw him, and he stood out like a tiger in the Arctic. How was it, that only she could have seen him?

Or maybe that was it. Only she saw him.

Did that mean he was never there? Perhaps her mind was playing tricks on her? She had been exhausted and sleep deprived, to an extent that coffee didn't help at all. Perhaps her mind had been messing with her.

But that didn't explain the second guy she saw in the library.

It had been the same day, and the explanation still held. She was tired, exhausted and sleep deprived. Obviously, her brain enjoyed traumatizing her.

But why would her brain choose to do it with handsome barefoot guys in pain?

She sighed, grabbing her towel. Perhaps once she had a shower and got to bed, things would be fine. She'd wake up the next day and she'd be able t put all this behind her, as some sort of bad dream, and use it to remind herself to never try to pull an all nighter ever again. 

As the hot water splashed over her skin, easing her tired muscles and a cramp she forgot she had, she rested the palm of her hand against the cool marble tile, as her mind ran back to the hand she kept seeing in her visions.

Who's hand was it? It obviously belonged to someone, that was obvious, but why was her mind focusing on the hand specifically? Why not focus on some other feature?

And why the chains around the hand? Could it be symbolic? Like he was trapped or "chained" in a bad situation and was desperate for help? Or was he really chained up in some lone basement being tortured? 

As she dried her hair though, another thought crept up on her.

Why was this bothering her so much?

Well, she was seeing two random boys who apparently no one else but she could see.

So she should be more worried about that, why was she worried about a random hand she was hallucinating about?

She shook her head. She really needed sleep.

The moment her head hit the pillow, the entire day's load of exhaustion took over her body, making it feel like an anvil had been placed on her. The hot shower had abated a bit of the aching muscles, but not enough.

She closed her eyes. By this time tomorrow, she'd feel less like she was sick and more like a normal healthy person. Her lips tugged into a smile as she drifted off to dreamland.

Except, that wasn't what her mind had planned for her.

Red flashed in her eyes before she found herself somewhere. This time, they weren't visions, she was really there.

The place had a dreary grey brown look to it, the walls covered in dead moss and leaves and brown leaves littering the floor. She kicked a few leaves aside to find the floor to be made of...cracking and stained cement. 

She sighed. This place creeped her out.

She looked around, her eye catching something. She moved toward it hesitantly, reaching her hand out, to feel cold metal.

She looked closer at it. 

"Wires..." she murmured to herself. 

She stepped back a moment to take a look at it. Thick wires came down from the ceiling and disappeared into the ground, all crooked, and the top and bottom covered with dark green moss.

Wait...the rest of the place was covered with dead moss. How could the moss here be green?

That would mean it was alive, which meant it was feeding off some moisture. But why would moisture be only in this place and not anywhere else?

She looked up at the wires and followed their form to the floor. She reached out, running her hand on the rusted metal, another source of moisture. It then dawned on her that if these wires weren't crooked, they'd be equidistant.

She stepped back. 

This was a prison, a...a...cage of some sort.

But why was it here? What purpose did it serve? She peeked inside to find the same conditions as outside. So why would only the place where the cage wires were be the only place where some moisture existed?

Her eyes then lifted off the floor of the cage, to find a figure in the dark corner. 

She couldn't tell whether it was a he or a she, but judging from the broad shoulders, she surmised it to be a he. He had his back turned to her, hunched over towards the wall. She strained her eyes as her head filled with questions.

Just then a flash of light blinded her, forcing her to close her eyes and casting her into darkness. She found herself in darkness, in front of a light. The shining light highlighted the silhouettes of three people.

She couldn't see any of their features due to the placement of the light, only that they were looking at her. They were male, pretty tall, even for the average Korean. From what little she could make out, they were dressed in baggy clothes.

With...nothing on their feet...

They then turned around, and she caught a glimpse of their jawlines. dropped.

She recognized the guy on the right side, with his chiseled jawline. It was the guy who'd shown up at the door after class, right after that first vision.

The guy on the left...she recognized him too. He was the one she'd seen just a few hours ago, in the library, right after her second vision.

She didn't recognize the guy in the middle though. He was definitely shorter than the other two, with a smaller sized head. Who was he? Why hadn't she seen him still?

The light then proceeded to blind her, and she found herself in front of the cage again.

She blinked to try and adjust to the light.

However, before she knew what was happening, a pale hand grabbed the wire right in front of her, a mere two inches from her face.

She screamed.