Epilogue

Haunted

Six years later...

Yoohyeon adjusted her bangs, smoothing them over her forehead so that they were neat and proper before walking through the doors of the Prosecutor's Office. 

Despite the fact that she'd been working here for a few months already, she still found herself slightly nervous and intimidated by the massive white building. 

As she walked over to the elevator, her lips drew back in a smile to see a familiar someone already there.

"Hey," she called out to him.

He turned to her, smiling widely. "Yoohyeon! You're early today! Working a case?"

She nodded. "Prosecutor Seo wanted me to come in and take a look at the files today," she explained. "And since he's always an hour early..."

He grinned. "You need to be early too, don't you?" 

She laughed. "Yeah." Then she turned to him. "So, why're you early today, Prosecutor Lee?" 

He shrugged. "Detectives are bringing in the suspect early for questioning today," he sighed heavily. "Of all days..." 

"Jiu wasn't so happy with you leaving early, was she?" Yoohyeon chuckled.

He shook his head. "She always hates it when I come in early," he laughed. "Says since she works a night shift anyways she doesn't get to see me that often."

"You'll have to make it up to her, won't you?" she guessed.

"Yeah," he grinned. "Guess we won't be able to make it for the meetup this weekend."

"Oh you'll definitely have to come for that," Yoohyeon urged. "Considering that Handong's coming all the way from China to meet us, I doubt she'd miss it. She's always loved Handong like anything."

The elevator arrived at that point, and both stepped through. Ken leaned over to the buttons. "You'll be coming to our floor, won't you?" he clarified.

She nodded. "Yeah."

He pressed the button and the elevator door closed. 

A lot of changed in the past six years, and so had they themselves. And they were able to see the changes clearly once they went their separate ways after graduating. Ken had surprised everyone by challenging the bar exam in hopes of becoming a prosecutor, while Yoohyeon had stuck to specializing in Criminology.

The cases they'd taken with Professor Yang had helped each one of them out in ensuring they'd have places to go once they were out of school. The Prosecutor's Office happily welcomed Ken and Yoohyeon with wide open arms when they'd applied for internships and also offered them positions once they graduated. 

Jiu and Siyeon had taken different routes however, by deciding to change their majors after their first semesters, instead deciding to go ahead with social work. They'd decided to leave the criminal fighting and justice bringing to Yoohyeon and Ken. Handong had decided to go back to China for her post, but tried to visit as often as possible. Gahyeon had followed in her sister's footsteps into the world of criminal justice, and was currently attempting to tackle the bar exam.

It had actually surprised Yoohyeon when Ken had taken his Korean name officially, and even more when she'd found out that it was Lee Jaehwan.

"Of course I have a Korean name," he'd admonished her. "How else do you think I was able to come back?"

"No, it's not that," she'd said. "It's just that...your name..."

He'd thought about it for a moment before smacking his head. "Oh right! The victim in that case you investigated back in college was named Lee Jaehwan, wasn't he?" 

She nodded. "Oh that reminds me," he exclaimed. "I was curious since you brought it up back then, but it turns out, I am related to him!"

"Related?" she echoed. "How?"

"Well, it turns out he's my great-grand-uncle or something like that," Ken beamed. 

"What? He died before he had any kids, right?"

"Yeah, he did, but his brother was married for a while and had a kid before he passed."

"His brother had an autoimmune disease, right?" 

"Yeah, it was a miracle he survived long enough to marry and have a kid."

"Did you ever know that such an incident happened in your family?"

"Not really, since it was forgotten. The original family might have wanted it kept quiet as much as possible, and then their venture went bankrupt and well..."

While she wondered about the coincidence, she pushed it to the back of her mind. 

It was no secret that she had changed after the incident back then. The night Ken had received a random call from her a little past midnight, he had rushed to her aid, believing her to be in trouble, only to find her crying her eyes out in the middle of an abandoned graveyard. He'd been out of his mind with worry as he brought her back home.

She hadn't spoken to anyone for a week, looking as if she'd risen from the dead every time she walked into class. Even as she slowly began getting back to her old self, nobody knew what had transpired that night. 

She had changed a bit after that night. To others, it was like she had grown a lot, like she'd shed her naivety that seemed to be holding her back. The incident had served to do nothing but strengthen her resolve and set her path in life.

The path that led her to where she was now. 

As the elevator reached the floor, Ken stepped out, before pausing and turning around to her. "By the way, did you know that we're getting a new prosecutor today?" 

She shook her head. "Uh, no, I didn't," she said as she walked with Ken down the hallway to the offices. "Is he a new transfer?"

Ken hummed. "Yeah, from Daejeon," he said. He gleefully rubbed his palms together. "I can't wait to see what kind of person he is."

Yoohyeon chuckled. "Perhaps you should focus on your own cases," she suggested. "I'm sure Chief will let us know if we're involved in any way to this new guy."

Ken nodded. "I really should, huh?" he sheepishly said. "But I really thought you'd like to know this guy."

"And why is that?"

"Turns out, back in college, he visited our campus with his class for a little while, and even sat in on one of our lectures."

Her ears pricked. "H-he did?" 

"Yeah," Ken agreed. "I'm not too sure about its accuracy though. It was just something I heard since he was able to come here on recommendation from Professor Yang."

"He was recommended by the Professor?" Alright, this new guy had now caught her attention. "Was he that good to get his attention without even being in the same college?"

"I'm not sure," Ken replied. "Perhaps we should just wait and see." 

"Alright," she agreed. "Oh, Prosecutor Seo's here. I should go." 

"We're still meeting for drinks after work, right?" Ken called after her.

"Yeah!"

All thoughts of a mythical new hire slipped her mind as she went about her day, first meeting Prosecutor Seo and getting the relevant case files before sitting down and going through them. They had meeting with the witnesses later in the day so she attempted to note down as many questions as she possibly could.

As lunchtime approached, Prosecutor Seo came up to her. "Miss Kim?" he asked.

"Yes, Prosecutor?"

"Are you free during lunch?"

"Yeah, I am."

"Good, because the Chief Prosecutor wants to meet you and Prosecutor Lee for a few minutes during lunch."

She narrowed her eyes. "Why? Any reason?"

He shrugged. "I'm not sure, but you should still be there. Seems to be a big case in the making."

A big case? 

She wondered what it could be since she couldn't recollect any talk of a massive case going around. But then she vaguely remembered that there seemed to be a sudden uptake on murder calls from the Police Department, but she'd brushed anything that wasn't related to her case aside so she could focus her thoughts.

She wondered whether there was a connection.

So at lunchtime, she made her way to the Chief Prosecutor's office on the top floor of the building. When she opened the door, she found Ken standing there.

"So you got the summons too?" he asked.

She nodded. "Wonder what it's about."

"Guess we'll just have to wait and see."

The Chief Prosecutor then walked through the door, getting their attention. "Good, you're both here."

"What's this about, Chief?" Yoohyeon asked. 

The Chief went over to his desk and sat, gesturing for Yoohyeon and Ken to come closer. "We've got a big case in the works," he said.

"So I've been hearing," Yoohyeon murmured.

"Can you tell us about it?" Ken asked.

The Chief nodded. "Someone's been going on a bit of a killing spree, and the details seem to be akin to a similar serial killing that happened a little over 20 years ago."

Yoohyeon pursed her lips. "A repeat serial killer?" she asked.

The Chief nodded. "The case was thought to be closed back then and the killer apprehended and given the death penalty, but now its begun again."

"Classic copycat, then," Ken said.

"We're not so sure anymore," the Chief somberly said. "Its too alike to be a copycat. Its almost like the exact guy is back killing."

Yoohyeon hummed. "That's interesting," she said. "So there's the possibility that the guy you caught 20 years ago wasn't the actual killer."

The Chief nodded. "You've always been quick on the uptake," he praised. "Which is why I'm taking you both off your current assignments and putting you on this one." 

Ken seemed excited. "We get to work on such a big case? Awesome!" 

"You'll be working closely with the Police Department on this one, of course," the Chief explained. "Not to mention, since we're going to need all the help we can get, I've asked for another prosecutor to help you out."

"Two prosecutors on a case?" Ken asked. "Isn't that a bit much?"

"Considering the current case we're dealing with, I doubt it," the Chief told him. "Of course, Prosecutor Lee will be the Lead Prosecutor for the case." 

Yoohyeon nodded. "So who's this prosecutor who's going to help us with this case?"

A knock then sounded on the door. "I believe he's here," the Chief said, standing up as the door opened.

Yoohyeon turned around to see who this new person she'd been hearing about all day was, and dropped open to see who had walked through the door.

He was an exact carbon copy of him, right down to his big button nose and strong, defined features. The only difference being in his haircut and attire, but the twinkle in his eyes was the same as what she remembered, and his lips curved into the exact same smile.

But it couldn't be, right? He wasn't even real.

How could he be standing in front of her like this, all smiles and laughs?

Ken turned to her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Yoohyeon, are you alright?" he asked. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

I think I have.

"Um," she said, having snapped out of her trance. "No, I-I'm good." 

Ken didn't seem all too convinced, but luckily for her decided to let it go, instead turning back to the door as the Chief brought over the new kid in order to introduce them.

"This is Prosecutor Lee Jaehwan," the Chief introduced him. "He'll be Lead Prosecutor in the case. This is Kim Yoohyeon, criminal profiler. They're the best rookies our Office has to offer. You'll be working with the two of them on this case."

He bowed, grinning. "Nice to meet you."

Ken bowed as well, holding out a hand. "Good to meet you in person," he told him. "I've heard a lot of things about you."

"Likewise."

"Let's work well and bring this guy to justice, right?"

He smiled widely. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

He then turned to her as she shakily held out her hand. "I-I'm Kim Yoohyeon," she stammered. "Pleasure to work with you."

He held out his hand, giving her a quick wink, just like she remembered. 

"Nice to meet you. I'm Han Sanghyuk."