The Dare

Haunted

She sat at the table with Ken and a few other girls she had met in class.

Shortly after meeting Ken, she'd met Siyeon and Handong, who both shared the same International Criminology class. Later on, she'd met Kim Minji, or as she liked to be called, Jiu, in her Intro to Psych class. 

Hence, here she was, with a gaggle of friends to start out her college life with. 

"So you're Chinese?" Ken directed the question at Handong.

She nodded. "My name is actually Dong, and my last name is Han. People find it easier to just call me Handong however."

"That explains the accent," Yoohyeon noticed. "I'm impressed, for a foreigner your Korean is actually really good."

"You're from America then?" Jiu asked Ken. "Or the UK?"

"America," Ken supplied. 

"So what made you take Criminology?" Siyeon asked Ken. 

He shrugged. "I'm not sure," he admitted. "All I know is that my path is in this direction. What it exactly is? I'm not sure."

"What about you?" Siyeon turned to Yoohyeon. "What drives you to the world of criminals?"

Yoohyeon couldn't help but grin. "It's been a dream of mine."

"To work with criminals?" Handong asked, scrunching her nose.

"Not exactly," Yoohyeon quickly said. "Well, in a way, yes."

"Why?" Ken asked. "I'm curious."

She thought about it for a moment. "I'm not sure, but its always fascinated me. I used to love watching crime dramas," she admitted. 

The other girls nodded in agreement, and Yoohyeon spied Ken watching her out of the corner of his eyes. Not thinking much of it, she went back to eating.


One month later...

Yoohyeon found herself being invited to spend the night at Siyeon and Handong's dorm in order to study, in order to get a head-start on the massive amount of material they would need to cover, despite their semester exams being more than a few months away. Ken was also invited, but only under the condition that he be kicked out before they went to sleep as he was the only one of the opposite gender.

Hence they sat in a circle, with Ken having his arms folded and a pout on his face. 

"We should play a game so that we can get to know each other better!" Jiu was the first to suggest.

"What do you propose?" Handong asked.

"Truth or Dare!"

Yoohyeon was very certain that Truth or Dare when they'd barely known each other for a month was inappropriate, however Jiu looked so excited she couldn't bring herself to protest. Turning her head slightly, she caught Ken's eyes, and he seemed to be having the same thoughts as her. He gave her a bemused smile, turning back to the others.

The game was simple, they'd take turns spinning a bottle and whoever got picked had to either do a truth or a dare. It was simple, predictive, and yet, interesting.

Siyeon spun the bottle and it landed on Jiu. "Alright, Jiu," she said, rubbing her palms together. "Truth or Dare?"

Jiu considered the evil look in her friend's eyes. "I'm going to have to go with Truth."

Siyeon looked defeated. "I was so hoping you'd pick Dare," she whined. "I had such a good one planned for you."

Jiu pointed at her. "That is exactly why I chose a truth, so I don't have to do whatever your strange mind comes up with."

Yoohyeon grinned as Siyeon stretched her arms. "Alright then, I guess I just have to find a good one for you then," she said. After a few minutes, she turned to Jiu. "What scares you the most?"

All eyes turned to Jiu as she sighed. "Well, I suppose I can let you guys know, since you're my friends and all." 

Yoohyeon raised an eyebrow as Jiu took a deep breath. "I'm terrified of ghosts," she admitted.

Yoohyeon couldn't help the scoff that escaped her lips on hearing that. "Ghosts?" she echoed.

Jiu fixed her with a look. "They're creepy," she shrugged.

Siyeon cut in. "Yeah, she's always been afraid of them," she clarified. Siyeon had known Jiu since they met in high school, since the two had shared similar ambitions. They'd even followed each other into college.

Yoohyeon still couldn't believe her ears. "But really, ghosts?"

"Like you're Xena the Warrior Princess," Ken objected.

"I'm not," she said, "but at least I'm afraid of things that are real."

"Real?" Ken grinned. "You want to argue whether ghosts are real or not?"

"There's no scientific evidence that they exist," Yoohyeon pointed out.

"There's no scientific evidence that they don't exist," Ken countered.

"So you believe that they're real?"

"There's no reason to believe they're not."

Yoohyeon raised her eyes to the ceiling in exasperation. "Ghosts are just...just manifestations of a delusional person's mind," she said. "Or they're just stories told by parents to make sure that kids behave."

Handong looked at Yoohyeon. "So you don't believe that ghosts might exist, at all?"

"I believe in science," Yoohyeon told her. "I believe in what I see. If I can see it and touch it, then its real."

Ken chuckled as Jiu's eyes widened. "Really, Yoohyeon?" she asked. "You really don't think...?"

Yoohyeon shook her head. "Ghosts don't scare me at all," she said indignantly. "They're not real, so they're not worth fearing."

Siyeon turned to Ken. "Well, we got to keep this game going," she said, handing him the bottle. "It's your turn."

Ken smiled, spinning the bottle. 

All of them watched with bathed breaths as the bottle spun and spun, and eventually slowed to a stop, its open end facing Yoohyeon.

Ken looked at her. "Alright, Yoohyeon," he said. "Truth or Dare."

She pursed her lips. "I did Truth last time, so I'll go with Dare."

"You know that abandoned graveyard a couple of miles from here?" he asked. "The one that shut down in the 90s?"

"Yes..." Yoohyeon said slowly.

"Is that the one that's haunted?" Jiu asked, her voice trembling.

"Haunted?" Handong asked, furrowing her brows. "Oh yeah, that one," she recollected. "The one where those people died, right? And more who never got proper burials?" Ken nodded and her face grew full of excitement. "That's the one people say is teeming with ghosts!" She turned to Yoohyeon, anticipating Ken's dare. "Oh, that is creepy as hell!"

"It's nothing but a superstition," Yoohyeon said, brushing it off. "So, what about it?" 

"I dare you to spend the night in that haunted graveyard."

A collective gasp arose throughout the room as Yoohyeon looked at Ken strangely. "Why?" she asked.

"Are you scared?" he lightly taunted. "If you truly don't believe in ghosts, then you have nothing to worry about." 

"But why a graveyard?" she asked.

He shrugged. "You chose to take a dare," he stated. "This is the dare. Spend the night there."

He moved forward, placing his palms on the desk. "Unless you're scared."

Her jaw tightened and she leaned over so that she was face to face with him. "I'll do it," she said. "I'll spend the night in that graveyard."