Sua

Haunted

"Is there anything about this in the files?" he wondered as she tapped away on the keys, accessing the database. 

"Not on the ones I found," she said. "But it actually makes sense."

"What does?" he asked.

"The reason I couldn't find anything on her past 1968," Yoohyeon said. "It's because she changed her name!"

"She did?" he asked.

She hit a few more keys and a document popped up on the screen. "And here's the proof," she said. "Kim Bora changed her name to Sua in December of 1968." 

He peered at the screen. "Why didn't we find this earlier?"

"Because I was checking her family records," Yoohyeon realized. "Everything from her school applications to her personal documents were under her family records because an individual file was never opened for her. But...if she cut ties with her family..."

"You wouldn't find the records because they would cease to be under her family name," Sanghyuk completed. "That is actually ingenious," he complimented. "However much of a scared girl she was, she covered her tracks pretty well."

"I don't think she did this alone," Yoohyeon said. "I'm pretty sure her family or someone with a lot of power helped her cover her tracks after she confessed to them." 

He leaned on her chair. "So what do we have on Kim Sua?" he asked. 

"Well," Yoohyeon said as she pulled up a folder. "It seems that after she had her name changed, she moved abroad, where she lived for the majority of her life."

"So where is she now?"

"For some reason, three years ago she moved back to Korea."

"Why would she do that? And where is she?"

"I'm not sure. But it seems she's actually not that far off."

"Well, I guess we know our next stop, huh?" Sanghyuk asked.

Yoohyeon hummed. "Kim Sua's house."


She knocked on the door of the surprisingly modest house in the suburbs. The door was soon opened by a frail lady in her late sixties to early seventies, but who looked incredibly pretty for her age.

"A-are you Kim Sua?" Yoohyeon asked, tentatively.

The woman looked at her questioningly. "Yes, I am," she said. "Are you my grandchild or something?"

Yoohyeon shook her head. "I'm not," she said firmly. "Er-may I come in?"

The old woman sighed. "Well, it's not often I get visitors," she said, stepping aside to allow the younger entry. "I'll be glad for some company." 

Yoohyeon honestly felt embarrassed as the old lady showed her into her home, seated her at a table and brought her tea.

"Y-you don't need to-" she tried to say.

"Nonsense!" The elder shushed her. "I hardly ever get visitors, so allow me to properly welcome you." 

She brought in a tray with a tea set made of fine china. Yoohyeon folded her hands in her lap as the elder placed a fine cup in front of her and poured the translucent steaming golden liquid into it. Once she had poured the tea for the younger, she poured her own cup before taking a seat herself.

"Alright," the elder said, the smile dropping from her face. "I think you should tell me how you know me, if you're not my grandchild."

Yoohyeon placed her cup on the table and took a deep breath. "I know about the case," she said.

"What are you referring to?" Sua asked, bringing her cup to her lips.

"You know what I mean," Yoohyeon said. "I'm talking about 1968." 

The gentle glimmer in the old lady's eyes faded, replaced by a darkness that sent a shiver down Yoohyeon's spine. She placed her cup of tea on the saucer in front of her, the china meeting china with a slight slink. 

"So...how did you find me?" Sua asked, her voice changed.

"It was hard, I'll admit," Yoohyeon agreed. "I almost needed to raise the dead to speak to in order to find the truth."

Sua narrowed her eyes. "The truth?" she echoed. "Did someone put you up to this? What's your connection to any of them?"

Yoohyeon shook her head. "I'm connected to anyone, nor did anyone put me up to this. I'm just a student researching a cold case."

"It wasn't cold," Sua reminded.

"Not on paper, at least," Yoohyeon shot back. "But once you take one look at the cold hard facts?"

Sua didn't respond to that, instead choosing to lean forward slightly. "You said you were a student, didn't you?" she asked. "Then why would you go to such lengths to uncover this?"

"Perhaps its my integrity?" Yoohyeon suggested. "I can't leave any questions unanswered."

"So what did your investigation lead you to?" the elder asked.

Yoohyeon looked straight at her. "It lead me to one conclusion," she said.

"And that is?"

"It wasn't Jung Taekwoon who had killed Lee Jaehwan that night. It was his girlfriend, Kim Bora."

Sua raised an eyebrow. "I'm impressed," she said. "It's been at least fifty years since I've heard that name." Sua then sighed deeply. "I'm also impressed by your ability to reach the truth."

Since Yoohyeon had already seen the chains on Taekwoon breaking, she found herself not really fazed by the older woman's light confession. She knew the truth already, but she did need to admit, it did send her stomach into knots to have it confirmed by a living face. 

"How long did it take?" the elder asked.

"Three-four months, perhaps?" Yoohyeon suggested. "I kind of lost track of time."

"Impressive," Sua complimented. "No one even suspected me for fifty years."

"It's because you covered your tracks well," Yoohyeon said. "Honestly, I'm impressed too."

"By what?"

"By how a scared teenager who just saw the boy she loved die right in front of her eyes was able to form enough coherent thoughts to put the knife in her boyfriend's hands."

Sua's eyes widened. "So...you've really figured everything out, haven't you?" she asked, her voice sad. 

"Mostly, I think," Yoohyeon said. 

"So what now?" Sua asked. "How long do I have until the cops come for me?"

"I haven't told anyone yet," Yoohyeon said. "Despite all I've figured out, I don't have any conclusive evidence."

"Is that why you came here?" Sua asked slowly.

Yoohyeon nodded. "You guessed right," she said. "The final piece of the puzzle...is hearing it from you."

She leaned forward. "What really happened on July 17, 1968?"