All these Things

Something is You (Revamped)

֎֎֎֎֎

Namjoo halted surprised when she stepped outside and Jongin turned around to look at her. “What? You didn’t leave yet?” she asked. “You said you have a meeting.”

“Well, I thought I’d drop you off,” Jongin said.

Namjoo frowned at him. “I can go on my own.”

Walking toward her he grabbed her bag. “I’ll drop you off and I’ll pick you up.” He took a step forward then glanced over his shoulder, urging, “Come on.”

As they drove off Namjoo glanced at him curious. “Are you up to me because I was mean this morning?”

“Please,” he scoffed, “I don’t need to up to you.”

“Fine, whatever.” Namjoo turned to stare out the window.

“What do you want for dinner?” Jongin asked.

“Are you tired of cooking for me?” Namjoo wondered.

“Do you look forward to it?”

“Are we going to have this conversation in questions?” Namjoo questioned. He cracked up with a smile that made her laugh.

“I’m just saying, if you want to eat out. On occasion,” Jongin explained.

“Then, you are tired of cooking. Should I do it tonight?”

Jongin breathed flustered. “Then you don’t want to eat out tonight? I’ll pay.”

There was a pause. Namjoo repeated, “You’ll pay?”

“I’ll pay,” he confirmed.

She smugly grinned then playfully shoved him. “You should have said so.”

“Then you’ll pay next time,” he said making them both laugh.

She watched Jongin drive off with a wave before heading inside to work. The woman at the front desk called out as she walked by. “You have visitors this morning.”

The high from that morning quickly wore off as the earlier smile slipped off her lips. Clutching onto the strap of her purse, she asked, “Visitors?”

“Yes,” the woman replied. “I sent them into the lounge to wait for you since you weren’t in yet. I’ll call them for you.”

“No, it’s fine. The lounge you said?”

“Yes.”

Namjoo blinked unable to ignore the doom crawling down her spine. Nothing good came of having visitors. Seojun’s parents? They were all Namjoo could think of as she turned away to head toward the broad room decorated with chairs, a coffee machine, and the cafeteria.

What did they have to say to her? Was it about the marriage to Seojun? To pressure her again? It was supposed to be long over. She and Seojun were nothing more than friends now.

Anxiety washed over her as she neared the lounge. Shrouded in bright light like she imagined the gates of Heaven would be. Yet obviously it was no Heaven she was walking into. Her blood pulsed faster as her footsteps brought her another foot closer. Two heads appeared. Indeed, a male and female, but their heads were not yet grayed. Their hairs not thinned out.

A swirl of questions shot through her mind when she suddenly stopped. Recognizing Seojun sitting facing her. And then the woman across from him turned. Smiling when she spotted her.

“Well, look who's here,” Mina greeted.

An ice-cold feeling washed down her back. Her heart thundered in her ears. The storm that should be outside having come inside. And the tornado was spinning right next to her.

“Namjoo,” Seojun grinned standing to his feet.

On her feet as well Mina said, “I thought we could talk, but compared to Seojun here my business seems petty. We can do it next time when you’re free.”

Namjoo could hardly breathe wondering what in the world Mina had wanted to say to her. The last she’d seen of her was when she’d brought Jongin lunch.

“Your clothes look tighter these days,” Mina commented giving her a onceover. Coyly smiling she said, “If you’re in need of clothes, I know a place that will help you.”

Their eyes met. Mina’s gaze appeared more daunting, challenging.

Touching her shoulder, she assured in a low voice, “I’ll take care of Jongin for you, so just worry about your man here.”

Namjoo’s eyes hardened as they focused on Mina’s empty seat. Listening to the click-clack of the woman’s heels fade as Seojun walked up to her.

“Namjoo.” Seojun was all smiles approaching her, but Namjoo spun around and chased after Mina. Discovering her just outside not very far from the front doors.

Grabbing her arm, Namjoo demanded, “What do you mean?”

“Aren’t you being a little rude?” Mina asked eyeing her hand then her.

Namjoo’s breath trembled before she released Mina. Allowing her to shift and face her. “Shouldn’t you be more worried about your fiancé?”

“He’s not,” Namjoo stated.

“I went easy on you last time,” Mina said, “but I’m thinking it was my mistake. Does Jongin know about him? Or is he a secret? A man on the side?”

“We broke up,” Namjoo stated again. “Jongin knows. You can go tattle to him. He wouldn’t be surprised.”

“You sound so confident, almost like you have complete faith in him.” Mina mocked.

Namjoo blinked not sure how to combat Mina. She’d never had to argue with a man’s ex before nor had she ever had to be aggressive about who she loved. Mina really was one of a kind. Fighting with her, forcing her to do all sorts of things.

“I like him,” Namjoo admitted and watched a nerve twitch in Mina’s face. “I believe in him.”

Mina bit down on her teeth. “Do you believe he feels the same way? Or is it the baby he’s after?”

The determination in Namjoo quickly fluctuated. Left speechless, Namjoo’s victory quickly plummeted.

“Jongin’s always wanted a family. It’s his life goal to become man of the house,” Mina started. “We’ve tried so many times. I can tell you how long I lived with him, all the things we tried. Just I couldn’t give him the baby he dreamed of, and his mother made it so hard. I can understand why he’s stuck to you like glue.” Peering down at her belly she said, “So it’s the baby.” Eyes strictly on her, Mina smirked, “After he takes the baby will you matter to him like you do now? Or will his feelings bounce back to me?”

Namjoo could feel her stomach twisting and turning. She’d need to visit the bathroom soon because the acid was beginning to shoot up .

“Oh, you’ve made it so very easy for him. I feel kind of ashamed,” Mina said. Brushing her shoulder, she said, “It’s getting hot. You should go back inside. Take good care of yourself. It would be devastating now, wouldn’t it, if you lost the baby?”

Namjoo didn’t even give it two more seconds as she turned around to run back inside. Dashing past Seojun as she rushed toward the bathroom to throw up. As she bent over the toilet to relieve herself she thought about Jongin. His kindness being uncalled for. The undivided attention she had received from him when he found out she was pregnant. When he had told her to move in with him.

It didn’t make sense at first. Now the picture suddenly made more sense.

Jongin talking about his dead father. Telling her he wanted to be just like him and that he would always be there for his family.

Had he used her?

The doubt crept into her head. Lingering there like a disease.

Namjoo felt tears in her eyes.

God, what was happening?

“Namjoo?” Seojun called in from the door. “Are you ok?”

Gathering herself, Namjoo flushed the toilet and washed her hands. Dabbing her eyes with a paper towel before stepping out. When she looked at Seojun she heard Mina’s voice inside her head again.

“What’s wrong?” Seojun asked seeing the tears well up in her eyes again.

Gritting her teeth, she struggled to fight off the doubt in her head. Mina was just saying things. She just wanted to mess with her because she wanted Jongin back. Yet a voice countered, it all made sense. Jongin, who didn’t know a thing or two about her, had been willing to chase her all the way to her parents just for the baby. When he didn’t even have an ounce of feelings for her, but for the baby.

It was the baby.

He was going to take the baby from her.

Anger flurried through her, but even as she cried and clung onto Seojun she felt more sad than furious.

֎֎֎֎֎

Jongin’s biggest fear was losing to Seojun. Knowing that he could never replace the man that had went down on a knee to ask for Namjoo’s hand in marriage. That they had been so close to being partners for life. If it was him, would Namjoo be willing? That was the bigger question.

First, he needed to work harder. To make Namjoo love him. Tonight, they would have dinner at a romantic restaurant. Jongin would make sure the atmosphere was 100% lovely. He’d surprise her with flowers and they would end the night sharing a thousand pounds of happiness.

He did just that. Left work early and visited a florist shop. Searching through the collection of different flowers. All of them so beautiful, each blossoming star defining something unique. He chose a bouquet mix of Gardenias and baby breaths. Paid heavily for it and drove off.

Arriving early, he waited at the front of Namjoo’s workplace. Pacing. Rehearsing in his head what he’d say to her when she walked out. imagining her face when she saw the flowers. Hoping she was a flower person and would appreciate the gift. His heart thumped excitedly.

Anticipation made his nerves jumpy. He felt so giddy he could be cackling to himself. He had double checked his appearance before leaving the car. Now he was wondering if he still looked ok. Would Namjoo think he was handsome when she saw him?

Then the doors opened and Namjoo walked out. Too late for him to hide the bouqet behind his back. When she spotted him she just stared. Not surprised. Not the reaction he expected. Trying not to show his disappointment he walked toward her.

“I saw flowers on the way,” he tried to come up with an excuse having become awkward at her blankness.

Her eyes fluttered before taking the flowers. “They’re pretty. Thanks.”

He watched her wondering why she wasn’t as giddy as he felt. This morning had been good to them.

“Is something wrong?” he worried.

“I’m hungry.”

They silently headed to his car. Quietly drove off with not even a small conversation. To bump up the atmosphere he asked, “How was work?”

“I met Seojun for lunch.”

An imaginary fist struck his heart. Jongin tried to play it cool, “Did he? What did you two have?”

“Some sandwiches. Soda. Fries.”

Jongin tried not to be jealous, but it came on a little stronger than he wanted. And he worried about how far Seojun was willing to go to get Namjoo back. The more he kept showing up, the more Namjoo’s feelings would come to the fore.

Jongin didn’t want to lose her already when they still hadn’t started anything yet. There was too much at stake.

He was letdown by dinner. Namjoo was very quiet even though she ate well. She clearly wasn’t angry or upset. She just didn’t say much, which didn’t help the evening. By the time they returned home Namjoo simply showered before turning in for the night.

Maybe she had had a rough day he tried reasoning. Or maybe the baby was giving her a hard time. He didn’t want to further annoy her by probing, so he silently joined her in bed. Laying on his side watching her sleep. Wishing she was holding him. The comfort of her arms could do so much for him right now. He yearned for it.

Then, as if Namjoo had heard his thoughts, she moved, and he felt her hands sliding around him before burying her face into his chest. She felt so close and so warm. His heart immediately lit up and he immediately hugged her.

֎֎֎֎֎

Thursday arrived surprisingly fast. Waking early, he cooked a full meal of chicken soup for Namjoo then they dressed and arrived at the doctor’s just on time. Jongin thought he was more anxious for this appointment than Namjoo was. Shaking his legs nervously as they waited to be called in the waiting room. Beside him Namjoo sat quietly as calmly as if she was here for the flu shot.

Jongin wondered what the doctor would say. If Namjoo was in good health or not. Would he need to pick up any slack? Would he have missed anything before the second trimester?

He immediately shot up to his feet when the door opened and a nurse in a pink uniform called out Namjoo’s name. A few patients laughed at him including the nurse. Namjoo gave him an embarrassed glance before quickly shuffling past.

They entered an office with illustrations of a developing baby in the womb plastered over the walls. The nurse weighed Namjoo and left them to wait for the doctor.

“So this is what the baby looks like,” Jongin muttered to himself staring at the posters on the wall. He glanced at Namjoo and grinned.

Since the other night they’d held each other to sleep Namjoo seemed to be in a higher mood. She had woken early to cook him breakfast and had even packed him something for lunch. If she had seen Seojun again for lunch, he hadn’t heard. These days it seemed like the world revolved only around the two of them.

Dr. Woo, an aging woman entered and greeted them enthusiastically. “It’s great to see you back! How are you feeling today?”

“Good,” Namjoo replied even as Jongin’s heart beat raced nervously.

“Well, it looks like everything is good,” the doctor noted flipping through her chart. “We’re going to have to set up an appointment to draw some blood for testing. Now, just a few questions.” With pen in hand she looked at them, “How has your diet been?”

They answered as best as they could. Listening to the “mmhmm’s”, “that’s good”, but they were totally unprepared for the next question.

“How about ?” The doctor looked at them.

Their faces immediately turned red. Jongin couldn’t look for Namjoo’s reaction, couldn’t even look at her as he heated up neck down. He didn’t dare utter a word. Was even more embarrassed than when he had his first wet dream. In that mere moment all he could hear was his heart drumming erratically in his ears.

“It’s all right,” the doctor said. “There are just a few precautions you would have to keep in mind. As this is the mother’s second trimester, her drive will return. I’ll give you some pamphlets to read.”

Jongin gulped the harder his heart pitter-pattered. Dr. Woo continued with some more questions and promised to give them some more handouts before saying, “Now, shall we see the baby?”

He watched the process as Namjoo hopped onto a bed and the doctor prepared her for the ultrasound. Jongin tried not to watch too hard to give Namjoo some privacy. He didn’t want to make her uncomfortable. The farthest they’d gone was just a few kisses since living together. He hadn’t dared think about any obtrusive thoughts than holding and kissing her.

Now he watched the doctor draw Namjoo’s shirt up over her still flat belly. Though he probably had seen it before he suddenly wondered if he should turn away. Sure, they had spent a night together, but he hardly remembered the entire process.

Namjoo’s eyes drifted up to the ceiling as she waited for the doctor to grab the monitor. None of his emotions mattered when the screen filled with screwy black and white lines, letting him hear for the first time his baby’s heartbeat. Overwhelmed with awe Jongin listened harder to the life they had created.

“This is the baby right here,” Dr. Woo explained running the remote over the side of Namjoo’s belly. “Growing perfectly healthy. Right now, the baby is beginning to hear. If dad sings to the baby, the baby will know the song, and look for him.”

Hearing this brought a smile to Jongin’s face.

“Mom will start to feel the baby’s movements,” Dr. Woo grinned at Namjoo. “And good thing is, morning sickness will start to subside.”

Jongin watched Namjoo smile at this. They set up another appointment in two and a half weeks, thanked the doctor, and walked out with a printout of the ultrasound.

“I’ll hold onto it,” Jongin clutched onto the picture. “You can have the printouts and pamphlets.”

Namjoo scoffed at him. “You’re so greedy.”

“My girl.” Jongin shook the picture.

“What?” Namjoo asked.

“The baby’s going to be a girl,” Jongin said as they headed down the stairs of the hospital that led to the front yard.

“The doctor didn’t say that.” Namjoo followed him across the pavement.

He turned to her unable to hide his excitement from seeing the baby, from being with her at the appointment, and listening to the baby’s heartbeat. To learning that his baby would be able to detect his voice. He would sing and talk and touch her belly to feel the baby’s movements. He’d do much more when the baby arrived.

He would ask her to marry him then.

Elated, he said, “She’s going to be pretty like you.”

Namjoo stopped walking and stared at him. The brisk wind blew her hair back. Brushed against her blouse. Touching her just slightly as he stared back. His heart fluttered. Soaking in the sight of her. The long hair. The completely oval shape of her face. Those round eyes that sat only on him. The lips that had kissed him and he hoped would kiss him again.

Still grinning wildly, he asked, “What?”

“Nothing.” Picking up her pace she passed him.

When he arrived at work he spun around in his chair giddily. Holding the ultrasound up to the light. Imagining all the things to come before the door burst open surprising him. Wheeling around he watched Taesong walk in with a broad smile.

“What are you doing here?” Jongin asked.

Taesong held up two gold slated envelopes. They looked strangely familiar. “I got something for you.”

“The sight of them is ominous. I don’t want them, throw them away,” Jongin said.

“Aw, come on.” Taesong invited himself to the visitor’s chair in front of his desk. Jongin cocked his head with a frown as Taesong slid them over. “I’m inviting you to the fashion show.”

“I don’t care about it,” Jongin said.

“Hey, you should at least come support me,” Taesong reminded. Tapping the envelopes, he said, “I brought two.”

“So?”

“Invite Namjoo.”

Jongin glanced at the envelopes then at his friend. Debating now.

“I’ll cut in a deal for you,” Taesong offered. “I have an extra dress. Namjoo can have it.”

“You should ask her.” Jongin told.

“Without your permission?” Taesong teased. “Wouldn’t our guy want his girl of the night to feel the prettiest?”

Jongin could feel his heart rate pick up. Thinking about Namjoo wearing something glamorous that would make her feel special for one night. How beautiful she’d be.

“Fine.” Jongin snatched the envelopes.

Taesong chuckled, “That was easy.” Lowering his eyes, he asked, “What’s that?”

Jongin glanced at the ultrasound he’d dropped. Turning it around he explained, “My baby.”

Leaning forward to stare at the black and white picture, Taesong concentrated with a deep frown.  “I don’t get it.” Looking at Jongin he asked, “Where’s the baby?”

“Right here.” Jongin pointed to the white part of the photo.

“Where?” His friend looked harder confused.

“Are you even paying attention?” Jongin asked annoyed.

“Geez, calm down.” Taesong straightened. “You sure are in it hard.”

Too hard, Jongin silently agreed, and he couldn’t withhold these feelings anymore. It was blowing up inside him. He’d have to tell Namjoo sometime soon.


***/GASPS/ It's going to happen! He's going to confess! And Namjoo confessed to the wrong person! And Mina just sharpened her knives

***surprise, surprise I updated!