In Her Head

Something is You (Revamped)

֎֎֎֎֎

Jongin was waiting for her in the lobby when she came down. She wasn’t expecting him, but the receptionist had called and said someone was here for her. Lifting a hand up he waved.

“I thought I could surprise you with lunch,” he gestured to the bag he was carrying.

Namjoo stared at the restaurant name on the bag and subconsciously peered around. She thought gossip would have tuned down by the time she returned, but people were still looking at her curiously. Why did you need such a long break someone had asked her?

In the period that she was gone how many times had Mina stopped by to spin her woeful tale of her stolen boyfriend?

Only the receptionist had seen Jongin before. Today who else had seen him come in?

“I didn’t know you were coming,” Namjoo said.

“Sorry, I just thought it would be nice to stop by,” Jongin said. “I’ll tell you next time.”

“It’s fine,” Namjoo told. “The lounge is that way.”

She led him to the same area Mina had waited for her before. Sitting down at a clean white table Namjoo watched him unpack the food. A pair of women heading toward the food bar stared at them as they passed. Jongin didn’t seem to notice.

“Do you want to eat outside?” Namjoo suggested.

“Why?” Jongin looked at her. He already had all the food laid out on the table.

“It’s a little stuffy in here,” she lied.

His eyes landed on her then he looked around to see more of her co-workers flocking in for lunch. Each of them peering at them with curiosity.

Sensing her dismay, he began packing the food. “Alright. Where do you want to go?”

Namjoo led him to her favorite spot outside. A shaded yard at the side of the building. Usually abandoned because the women didn’t want to bask under the fresh air with insects and creepy crawlies. But Namjoo discovered peace she didn’t have when cooped up inside her office. Surrounded by paperwork and endless phone calls. Here, she was protected by the shade provided by the trees and away from polluted traffic. She could watch the sun wink through the leaves. In warm weather she would watch the birds nestle in the trees. Squirrels clamber up and down. In fall the leaves would start changing colors and scatter across the walkway prettily. Namjoo liked hearing them crunch underneath her feet. With a sweater she would sit by herself and have her morning coffee. Plus, she enjoyed the smell of nature. It relieved stress miraculously. Made her feel like she was faraway.

“It’s nice out here,” Jongin stated before shifting away from a bee.

Namjoo giggled. “You think?”

“I won’t complain,” he said. “It is quiet out here.”

“I eat here sometimes,” Namjoo said withholding the fact that she had spent many afternoons with Seojun here.

“I may have to transfer. Even our building doesn’t have such a nice yard,” Jongin joked taking out their food. “It’s getting cold.”

“What did you get?”

“Soup. Sandwiches.”

“I’ll deal with it,” Namjoo said reaching for her plastic spoon.

“I was thinking, lets spend the weekend with my mom,” Jongin suggested. “Then we can tell her together about the baby.”

“This weekend?”

Jongin nodded. “I’ll think of something we can do, so you don’t have to worry about anything.”

“Ok.”

“But,” he stared which made her look at him. Noticing the hopeful glint in his eyes she wondered what he wanted to say next. “No, never mind.”

Blinking away a frown Namjoo turned to concentrate on her food unable to shake off the feeling that he wanted more than he let on.

They separated on a good note and she stayed in her office the rest of the day. Namjoo stopped by the store after work to pick up grocery. Since he’d brought lunch she could make dinner for him. It would make him happy she knew.

By the time she got a pot of water boiling the door bell rang. Wiping her hands on her apron she wondered why Jongin wasn’t just coming in. Sighing she unlocked the door ready to tell him not to be a nuisance. He had probably gone shopping and was returning with an arm full of grocery again.

Stop wasting money she wanted to chide him. They always had so many leftovers after each meal. She wouldn’t eat more than she could even if she was pregnant.

Opening the door Namjoo started, “Stop shopping every day. We always have so much…” the words quickly died when she recognized Jongin’s mother staring at her.

Stepping back unsure what to call her Namjoo found her voice box malfunctioning.

“Oh, what a surprise,” she grinned stepping in.

The woman walked in with a black bag. Setting it onto the table she peered around for the son who wasn’t home yet.

Namjoo’s heart knocked a little harder against the thick of her chest. “Uh…well…um…”

“I’m not interrupting anything, am I?” the woman happily asked. “I am so glad you’re here. I came hoping to see you. Would you join us for dinner tonight?”

went dry.

“That Jongin, where is he?” His mother looked around. Turning back to her, “Is he in the bathroom? What horrible manners.” Walking over to the stove she wondered aloud, “What are you two having tonight? I was planning to make mushroom soup, but it seems you two already have dinner underway.”

Namjoo feigned a smile when she turned around.

“And how have you been?” She asked walking toward the table to unpack the cans of mushrooms.

“I’ve been well,” Namjoo replied. “Oh, let me help you.”

“Nonsense,” the woman said. “I didn’t bring much this time.”

“That boy, where is he?” She muttered. Then called out, “Jongin!”

Anxiety poured through her. She was alone with Jongin’s mother…again…but this time inside his home. How would that make sense when she explained it? Would she have to tell the woman about the baby by herself?

Namjoo gulped when the woman stepped away to look around for her son. She would see that he’d been sleeping on the couch. She would have questions then. Namjoo wasn’t sure she was prepared to answer.

“Um…Jongin isn’t home.”

“He isn’t?” She wheeled around to look at her. “Where has he gone? What manners he has to leave a guest by herself!”

Pressing her lips together Namjoo tried to smile. “Actually…”

The woman’s wide b eyes appeared to become larger the longer Namjoo stared at her. She became more nervous by the second.

“Yes?” she asked waiting for Namjoo to go on.

The words were forming in . All she needed to do now was push them out and explain that they were pregnant.

“Well, I…” Namjoo opened to speak. The door opened and the sound of Jongin’s keys jingling made her heart drop into her stomach. She wheeled around to stare at him as relief flooded her. Jongin’s eyes landed on her curiously before he spotted his mother. The alarm jerking onto his face mirrored her own earlier.

“Mom,” he said quickly closing the door. “What are you doing here?”

“What were you thinking leaving her here by herself?” His mother scolded. “And you’re making her cook dinner!”

Jongin glanced at the stove then to her. Namjoo tried not to appear guilty.

“Where are you coming from?” His mother interrogated.

“Work,” Jongin automatically answered then stopped himself. “I mean, I went to pick up some food.”

“Then where is it?” She glanced at his empty hands.

Laughing awkwardly, Jongin scratched his head. “They didn’t have it in stock.”

Her heart hiked up to as Namjoo continued to put on a fake smile. They sounded so ridiculous.

“Well then…alright,” his mother continued. “Wash your hands. Will you just let your guest cook by herself?”

They shot each other a petrified glance before Jongin stepped up to the sink. Shooting a quick glance his mother’s way to see she wasn’t watching Namjoo walked up to his left.

“Are you going to tell her?” Namjoo whispered.

“I didn’t know she was coming,” Jongin said.

“Do you think we should just tell her today?” Namjoo asked.

“Tell me what?” His mother stepped up behind them. Surprised they quickly separated.

Slamming the faucet off Jongin asked with a heavy sigh, “Mom, what are you doing?”

“You two are gossiping over here. Of course, I’d want to know what’s going on,” she answered.

“Nothing. It’s nothing,” Jongin assured. His mother eyed them suspiciously before shoving the can of mushroom into his arms.

“Put that away.” She ordered.

Namjoo raised a brow at him before turning around to focus on the boiling pot. With the accompaniment of his mother’s agile hands the table was set within the matter of a few minutes. Pulling up an extra chair they settled down for dinner.

“How nice it is to eat together again,” his mother exclaimed. “I’m so glad you two are becoming good friends.”

“Yes,” Namjoo agreed with a smile.

“Lets just eat, mom.” Jongin suggested.

“Why?” His mother asked. “We should have a nice conversation during a meal. Getting together every night to share a meal is what makes a family.” Looking at Namjoo, “Isn’t that right?”

Put on the spot, Namjoo gripped onto her spoon filled with the food about to enter . “You’re right.”

“Just let her eat, mom,” Jongin told.

“What is with you?” his mother wondered.

Jongin glanced at his mom then at her. Namjoo stared back about to shake her head no. It didn’t feel like the right time to tell her. Wasn’t the plan for this weekend? Namjoo’s heart raced when Jongin started talking.

“We’re having a baby,” Jongin announced.

“Excuse me?” His mother asked with a growing frown. Confused. Lost.

“Namjoo and I are going to have a baby,” Jongin explained. “You’re going to be a grandmother.”

His mother let out a long, drawn-out gasp. Pressing a hand over her chest she looked at Namjoo with wide eyes. “Really?” Reaching for her hands and clasping them gently, “Are you really?”

Startled, Namjoo stared into her face. The first thing coming to her mind was how different her reaction was compared to Seojun’s mother. Her emotions crumbled as she felt both relief and disappointment. Strangely a weird mix of things to feel now that everyone knew.

Pregnancy should be good news. It should always be good news. Why had it been like this for her? A flux of conflict swirled through her insides.

Namjoo should be happy that Jongin’s mother was so kind. To let her off like this. Yet a part of her still clung on to how the news had hit her, Seojun, his mother. Unhappiness. Denial. The struggle before finally accepting reality as is.

Should this really be happening? It didn’t feel real how accepting Jongin’s mother was. Doubt swam through her mind regardless how easy things were turning out.

This was fake. Something was going to go wrong.

“Y…yes…” Namjoo confirmed watching his mother smile overjoyed as tears sprinkled her eyes. At that moment Namjoo’s heart imminently softened, going out to the woman. Jongin hadn’t lied when he said for a long time she had yearned for this moment.

“Come, let me hug you.” The woman beckoned widening her arms and leaning over to hug her. Jongin’s mother was superbly warm. Her touch soft and kind as she patted her back the same way her mother would.

Namjoo peered over the woman’s shoulder to look at Jongin. He shrugged with a small smile. He wasn’t about to help her.

Letting her go his mother wiped a tear. Cupping her face, she looked her over. “For how long? I wouldn’t have guessed!”

“I’m nearing three months,” Namjoo answered.

“How dare you keep this a secret!” She turned to yell at her son. “What in your mind were you thinking?! Have you been looking after her properly?!”

Jongin looked dumbstruck. “M…mom!”

Attention back to Namjoo she adoringly patted her hand. “Forget him. I’ll take better care of you from now on. We must raise the child not to be like him.”

Amused, Namjoo laughed.

She made Jongin clean up and wash the dishes before leading her into the living room. Telling her not to push herself so hard. If anything needed to be done the man could do it because they always got off scotch free.

“Look at that!” She beamed staring at the ultrasound Namjoo had produced from her purse. “Soon you’ll be able to see the toes and fingers. When do you next see your doctor?”

“In the coming week.”

“If Jongin can’t make it, I will go with you.”

“I’m going,” Jongin called out from the kitchen.

“I’m sure you can come, too,” Namjoo said.

“How embarrassing. For an old woman to be tagging along,” she huffed. Touching the picture, she said, “It’s ok. You just take good care of yourself.”

“I am,” Namjoo guaranteed.

“If that idiot doesn’t know anything, you come to me any time.” Namjoo grinned and tried not to laugh. “There are so many things I want to tell you, but I’m afraid I won’t finish talking by the end of the night.”

“Yes, I’m sure you won’t,” Jongin affirmed walking up behind them drying his hands with a paper towel. “Ok, mom. I’ll walk you out. It’s getting late.”

“Who says I’m going home?” She turned back to look at her son.

“What are you talking about?” Jongin asked and glanced at his watch.

“You have a pillow and a blanket here,” his mother pointed out. “If it’s not for me who is it for?”

Their eyes met and Namjoo gulped. If she found out her son had been forced to the couch while she took the bed his mother probably wouldn’t be a happy camper.

“Don’t tell me you’re…” she started.

“No, no, no,” Jongin shook his head. “It’s not what you’re thinking.”

“Jongin naps on the couch sometimes,” Namjoo lied. “He likes leaving a pillow and a blanket out.”

“Does he?” His mother eyed him. “How shabby.”

Jongin’s jaw dropped dumbstruck. “Mom, really.”

Namjoo secretly grinned and turned away so Jongin wouldn’t see.

֎֎֎֎֎

After they turned out the lights and made sure his mother settled in, they were in his bedroom together for the first time. Namjoo couldn’t help but grow anxious and nervous again.

This was his bedroom. They were about to share his bed.

The need to pace kept her up on her feet. It would look stupid to walk back and forth, so Namjoo lifted the blanket and crept onto the bed.

“I’ll uh…turn off the lights,” Jongin offered with a lift of the hand. Walking around the foot of the bed he turned the lights off. Namjoo’s heart beat didn’t ease when she heard him shuffle back toward the bed.

Gripping onto the blanket nervously, she stared up at the ceiling. Maybe now was the time to turn her back to him and pretend she was tired enough to fall asleep right away. Jongin’s weight shifted into the bed when he climbed in beside her. Not close enough to touch her but near enough for her to know he was there.

A hint of moonlight sank into the room through a slit in the curtain, but Namjoo didn’t dare look at Jongin. To see if his eyes were open. If he was looking at her. Or if he was wondering whether to make her laugh before going to sleep.

In Jeonju they had spent an entire night staying up to play games. Tonight wouldn’t be the same. His mother was just right outside. Any noise would wake her.

“Are you asleep?” Jongin was first to speak.

“Not yet.”

Was he sleeping on his side? His back to her? On his back like her?

“Well…we told her,” Jongin said.

“We did,” Namjoo said.

“I feel relieved,” he confessed. “Now we can just focus on the baby.”

“That sounds like a plan.”

“It’s a good plan,” he smiled. Tugging on the blanket he shifted onto his side. “Good night, Namjoo.”

But she lay there in a troubled state of mind.


***There's something in this chapter I am not satisfied with. I just can't figure out what it is :\ I've gone through it, editing, adding and deleting but I can't figure out what's missing. Maybe it's too fast paced??? Anyhow, it has been a roller coaster for Namjoo to come this far so now that it's suddenly going smoothly she's worried. And she is right to worry. Sunshine doesn't always last.

***Anyway, I have a lot more planned for the story. I just need to get there, but it's nothing too angsty unlike my previous stories. This is a slower story depicting their journey to parenthood with a little mess in between, but nothing too heartbreaking. I do plan to finish the story that is why I haven't written anything else seriously in the meantime. I really appreciate the few readers I have right now. I didn't expect a lot after revamping the story, so stay tuned because it will be a while till I complete this story!