Your Own Person

Something is You (Revamped)

֎֎֎֎֎

Whatever Jongin thought as he stomped down the hall toward the elevator. Namjoo still wanted to see her ex, even after he’d treated her like complete . Just because she was sorry to him gave him all the reason to treat her like that? And she took it?

Jongin couldn’t understand her. He wouldn’t use an ounce of effort to try to understand her ex’s feelings either. To hell with him. Even if Mina had turned her back on him he would never in his right mind do anything to her that Seojun had done to Namjoo. Dragging, pulling, and screaming at her.

Punching the button to go down aggressively he waited for the lift to come for him. Damn Namjoo. Going to see her ex. To what? Give him some ointment for the bruise he might have?

Despicable.

He couldn’t help but be angry with her. Thinking of her ex all the time when she was having his child!

Jongin slammed the button again muttering curses underneath his breath.

֎֎֎֎֎

Namjoo wiped down the table and washed the dishes like she said she would. Going through the closet she slipped into a dress because she was too tired of trying to find one of her pants that would fit her right. Slipping into her shoes she headed out and stared at her car from across the street.

She could drive. Go there quick and come back, but then she thought of the danger of driving. If her stomach cramped while she was behind the wheel she could get into an accident. Unsure how well her body was after that incident, Namjoo walked down the street to get a cab. She would wait a few days until she returned to work to drive again.

Seojun’s apartment sounded like the most private place for them to talk, but she had no justification going there. Instead, she had chosen a hotel plaza to meet with him. An area nearby his workplace and in public if anything were to happen, but she doubted he would hurt her in front of anyone. He had never raised a hand to her. Yet she was starting to see all sides of him she hadn’t seen before, which gave her the hint to be cautious.

If she and Seojun fought she would no doubt lose against him.  

“Would you like anything to drink?” A waitress walked up to her when she grabbed a seat.

“A cup of tea, please.” Nodding, the waitress walked off. Alone, Namjoo curled her fingers on her lap glancing around.

The lounge was somewhat empty this morning. A grand piano decorated the huge space lit with bright bulbs. The lights losing against the giant sun rays soaking the parlor, coming in through the wall-sized windows. Granting a beautiful view of the backyard private garden inhabited by huge ferns and skinny trees she was sure wasn’t locally grown in the country.

Namjoo’s attention switched when her tea arrived. Thanking the waitress as she left she grabbed the cup and took a careful sip. Praying that her baby wouldn’t make her throw up on the spot. She waited a minute for the liquid to settle in her stomach and when the baby didn’t oppose she took another sip. Looking up when she saw Seojun strutting into the lounge. Spotting her he immediately joined her at the circular table.

He scoffed bitterly, “This is the first time you’ve called me.”

She glanced at the blue and purple bruise on his cheek. “Are you badly hurt?”

This morning she had stared at Jongin’s bruise by the corner of his lip. Had thought to suggest covering it up with some of her makeup, but the air had been so full of distress she hadn’t.

“You think?” He glared at her. “Who is that jerk? Huh?! Now you’re learning to go off with men you don’t know, are you?”

“Seojun,” Namjoo breathed, “it’s not like that.”

“Then who is he? Why’d you go off with him like that? I just don’t understand you, Namjoo. You’re so different now,” he spat. “The woman I love, where is she?”

Namjoo stared at him, hurt by his words. Struggling not to let him get to her she reached into her purse and pushed over the ring box.

“I thought I should return this.”

One glance at the box and Seojun scoffed so loudly the only patron in the room stared at them.

“What are you doing?” His gaze now cold and flat on her.

Namjoo glanced down at the box, “I can’t marry you Seojun.”

“Again?” Seojun repeated. Flicking the box toward her, “Then sell it.”

opened surprised.

“If you don’t want it, sell it,” Seojun icily told. “I’ll just buy you another one.”

“No! Seojun…”

“In a month, Namjoo,” Seojun leaned forward growling, “we are getting married.”

“I won’t do it,” Namjoo retorted.

“We gave my mom our word,” Seojun reminded, “lets not disappoint.”

Namjoo breathed, deplored. “Why aren’t you listening to me?”

“Do you remember how quickly you said yes when I asked you to marry me?” Seojun recalled. “How can you forget that so fast?”

Sliding a card over Namjoo looked down at the hospital logo attached with the name of a doctor. Her guts twisted.

“Don’t you feel sorry for the parents you’ll be disappointing? I suppose by now they would have told all their friends and relatives,” Seojun pressed. “You don’t want them to lose face. Have you thought about no one but yourself? Be angry with me, Namjoo, but think about your parents and how this will affect them. I still love you and I’ll do anything to help you.”

felt sore. Actually, she hadn’t thought that far into it either. The news of the baby and her condition had been so shocking she hadn’t been able to think clearly.

“Don’t argue with me, Namjoo,” Seojun stated. “Just listen to me.”

Overwhelmed with apologetic emotions toward her parents, Namjoo almost cried. “I want this baby.”

“I said you can have mine!” Seojun raised his voice a notch. “I’ll do anything, everything possible so that you can have another baby.” His voice shook, “Just forget this one.”

Welling up with sadness, Namjoo wept. Her feelings were starting to go everywhere again and she couldn’t control herself.

“Don’t cry, don’t you cry,” he warned. Leaning forward he whispered demanding, “Stop it.”

“Is there a problem here?” A voice interrupted. “Oh…I knew you looked familiar.”

Wiping a tear Namjoo glanced up staring at a face she wasn’t sure she had seen before. The wide tooth grin caught her attention and she thought he looked familiar, but she couldn’t say from where she’d seen him.

“Namjoo, right?” he asked.

Surprise elapsed through her.

“Excuse me,” Seojun impatiently cut in, “my fiancée and I are talking. Could you please leave?”

“Fiancée?” The man repeated then haughtily laughed. The sound of it was so familiar Namjoo felt a small recognition coming to light inside her. Asking her, “Really?”

Namjoo stared at the man blinking and blinking, trying to remember him. Then she heard gossip and Jongin laughing beside her as he showed her his yearbook.

Jongin’s friend.

She didn’t remember his name however.

“Oh…hello,” Namjoo awkwardly greeted.

“Aha! I’m Taesong, remember?” he asked. Looking around he asked, “Where’s Jongin?”

Starting to grow nervous, Namjoo shot Seojun a quick glance.

“He’s not here?”

“Excuse me,” Seojun cut in again annoyed, “could you please leave us alone?”

“But I’m talking to a friend,” Taesong said. Namjoo couldn't tell if he was pretending not to be aware of Seojun's animosity or if he was being coy.

Gritting his teeth irritated, Seojun reached over to pull Namjoo’s hand. “Lets go.”

Namjoo yanked her hand back but Seojun held onto her a little stronger.

“I said lets go,” Seojun shot her a warning glare.

Biting her lower lip Namjoo pulled back so hard that her hand flung against the hot cup of tea spilling it onto her lap. Shooting up to her feet shocked Namjoo grabbed her dress. Ignoring her attempt to somehow dry herself, Seojun came around the table pulling her with him.

It was happening so fast Namjoo couldn’t find a way to ground herself. “Seojun, Seojun please stop! It hurts!”

Namjoo halted awkwardly as colorful yellow, blue, and green flashed before her eyes. Her ankles collided painfully.

“She said it hurts,” she heard Taesong.

Pulling away Namjoo massaged her injured wrist.

“Who are you?” Seojun demanded.

“Ah…me?” Taesong grinned as if he’d done nothing wrong. Releasing Seojun he introduced himself, hand pressed against his colorful sweater, “I’m the baby’s daddy’s friend.”

Panicked, Namjoo glanced at Taesong. More worried about what Seojun would do than being surprised that Jongin had been a bigmouth with his friend.

“What?” Seojun frowned.

“No, no!” Namjoo jumped in. “No, Seojun…”

Offended and annoyed for the day, Seojun glanced at her with a disgusted snort. Grabbing her hand, he shoved the cushioned box into her palm, “Think about what I said.”

Namjoo watched his back become smaller until he eventually disappeared out the doors. Breathing a sigh, Namjoo squeezed the ring box.

“Is he your boyfriend?” Taesong wondered.

“No,” Namjoo replied dropping the box into her purse. “Sorry, it must have been uncomfortable to see that.”

“I’ve seen worse,” Taesong smiled. “I was doing some creative research then I thought I saw someone familiar. Jongin’s not with you today?”

“No.”

“Where are you off to?” Taesong asked. “If you don’t mind, I could use an open mind’s opinion.”

“I’m not sure you’re asking the right person,” Namjoo said hoping to get out of whatever he was thinking.

“I’m sure you are,” Taesong grinned that big grin that made his teeth show.

Taesong brought her nowhere else but to a cloth shop b from foot to ceiling with heaps of fabric. Varying from chiffon right down to wool. Namjoo followed him through the store listening to him explain about texture, color, his fashion show; how he wanted the lights to bounce off the curtains just right. He was planning to use a clash of colors creating an aesthetic feel that would complement the clothes he was showcasing.

“Something like this and that…” Taesong explained flipping through samples of clothing on his phone. Namjoo stared in awe admiring the exotic pieces.

“So, do you think something like this would look pretty?” Taesong touched a set of pale creamy beige.

“Well…the lights are white…”

He suddenly clapped surprising her, “You’re right.” He called out, “Can I look at the shades of violet you carry here?”

֎֎֎֎֎

“How is Jongin?” Taesong asked over their bowl of noodles. Lunch. He had said he would treat her. Despite her objection he’d taken them to a Japanese restaurant anyway. And she’d had no choice because he was driving.

“I don’t…know.”

“I suppose that’s an answer too,” Taesong said. “Anyway, I wanted to apologize for the way Mina treated you. I just wanted to let you know I talked to her and she won’t do it again.”

 “Ah…well…” Namjoo muttered, “thanks.”

“Is Jongin treating you well?” Taesong wondered. “Does he know about the man from earlier?”

Feeling wary, Namjoo glanced at him uncomfortable because nothing private seemed to bother him. “It’s all right. Jongin doesn’t need to know.”

“Really? That idiot,” Taesong scolded. “If I were him I wouldn’t have let that happen. Jongin is quite dense, isn’t he?”

Namjoo snorted a little. “I guess.”

“I mean, he’s a little stupid,” Taesong added. “He thinks he’s trying to be sneaky, but I see through everything. Just give him some time. He’s a really nice guy. He’ll look after you.”

Namjoo awkwardly smiled unable to tell Taesong she and Jongin weren’t even that close, but she’d let him talk because she didn’t want to be the one speaking.

Half an hour later Namjoo finally stepped out of his car feeling relieved. “Thanks for dropping me off.”

“I should thank you for helping me today.”

Awkwardly laughing, Namjoo said, “I didn’t do anything.”

“No, you were a big help,” he insisted.

“Then…you’re welcome,” Namjoo bid her farewell and turned to head in. A little weirded when he followed her in. Peering at him with a frown from the corner of her eye she gulped when she pressed the button for the elevator.

Noticing her weirded glance, he explained, “Since I’m here I’m going to visit Jongin. You want to come along?”

“No,” Namjoo shook her head.

“So you two live in the same place, huh?” He mused. “It must be convenient when you want to see each other.”

All Namjoo did was offer a smile breathing a sigh of relief when the elevator opened to Jongin’s floor and Taesong waved, bidding her farewell for the final time.

֎֎֎֎֎

Jongin walked into an empty home. Namjoo really wasn’t in.

Carrying the bag of banana chips in he set the bag on the kitchen table then proceeded to loosen his tie. Peeking into the bedroom to see that the bed was unoccupied confirming the fact that Namjoo wasn’t here.

He hurried toward the door when the bell rang. Opening it with anticipation but failing to smile when he spotted Taesong on the other side.

“What the heck,” Jongin murmured walking away.

“What?” Taesong asked. “That’s it? I don’t get a hug?”

“What are you doing here?”

“I can’t look at your new place?” Taesong wondered then noticed the bag of snacks. “Wow, you sure are eating a ton of these. You like these that much?”

Jongin turned to see Taesong taking a bag for himself. Snatching it he stuffed it back into the bag, “They’re not yours.”

Scoffing, Taesong muttered, “So greedy.”

Taking a seat Taesong tapped his fingers against the table, “What, I don’t get even a glass of water?”

“I can smell food flowing off you,” Jongin remarked.

Pulling his shirt toward his nose Taesong sniffed himself then laughed amused. “You sure have a good nose.”

Jongin grabbed a glass of fresh water anyway. Pausing as he opened the fridge when he spotted the jug of apple juice and bag of sliced lemons.

“Where are you coming from?” Jongin asked closing the fridge and handing his friend his drink.

“Lunch,” Taesong answered, “with your girlfriend.”

“What?” Jongin snapped surprised.

“I stopped a guy from taking her away,” Taesong explained, “aren’t I cool? Aren’t I? Aren’t I?”

“Not really.” Jongin mumbled.

“Hey!” Taesong pointed at him. “Be careful what you say to your best friend. I really helped today all right?”

“Just leave already,” Jongin muttered.

“Oh yea,” Taesong recalled. “He gave her a ring box. You should be careful. He might ask her to marry him if you don’t first.”

When Taesong left, Jongin sat at the table scrolling through his phone. He still didn’t have Namjoo’s number. He should’ve upped and asked Taesong if Namjoo was home or if she was still out. Yet he also thought Namjoo was her own person before she needed to be his baby’s mom.

There was this life that was hers and this life that was his. Separately. Before she should make the future of his child an obligation. If he only wanted the baby and Namjoo didn’t, what were they doing? Why was he selfishly trying to take her future away from her to befit his own?

The sun set and the moon rose, but Namjoo didn’t come back. He ate quietly and washed up, wondering if Namjoo was still out there. With Seojun?

A part of him believed she wouldn’t be returning. Giving up waiting he went to lie down on the bed. Staring up at the ceiling trying to see what Namjoo thought when she lay in his bed. He couldn’t imagine it, what she would think about as she lay here.

What would cross her mind if he said he would own up to her? If he said he wanted to be a dad, would she want to be a mom?


***yes, Namjoo said she would have the baby but that was before Jongin found out she thought about aborting it and that makes all the difference in how he sees things. It's time for them to reevaluate where they each want to stand because oh boy, Seojun boy isn't going to stop at nothing and there is also Mina ready to wreck havoc - talking about her, she'll be making her appearance soon