Home

Something is You (Revamped)

“Are you comfortable?” Jongin broke the silence.

“I’m fine,” Namjoo replied, the laughter now gone. There was a gap between them. At least she thought so. She couldn’t feel the heat coming from his body.

“Lets just think of this as having a sleepover with a friend,” Jongin suggested.

“Oh…yea…” Namjoo awkwardly agreed digging her fingers into the blanket. Wide awake now she didn’t think she would be able to fall asleep. Weirded out that they were consciously sharing a blanket and yet trying to tell herself it didn’t matter. They’d spent a night together, too.

The thought forced Namjoo to turn away from him and stare at the completely dark wall. What was he thinking about?

“Are you asleep?” Jongin asked after several minutes.

“Not yet.”

“I’ve decided I like your parents.” The comment made Namjoo turn his way. “I wish you could meet my dad. I feel a little jealous.”

“What was he like?”

“Well,” Jongin started, “he was good looking, like me.”

Namjoo scoffed.

“Really,” Jongin insisted.

“Whatever,” Namjoo giggled.

“Anyway, he was the fun one in the family,” Jongin told. “He’d be ten times more overjoyed to know we’re expecting compared to my mom.”

“Do you want to tell her?” Namjoo asked.

“Yea, I do.” She could feel him leaning over excited at the thought of it.

“She’ll probably be upset we lied.”

“She’ll get over it,” Jongin said. “She’d been waiting for it to happen. She’ll be all over you when she finds out. She likes you.”

“I think you said something like that before,” Namjoo recalled.

“It’s not like I’m making it up,” Jongin said.

“Did I say I didn’t believe you?” She listened to him breathe a laugh and found herself smiling. “What did you talk to my dad about? And did you peel the apples the way I told you?”

“He said I did a terrible job.” Jongin answered and listened to her laugh. “You keep looking down on me.”

“I’m not.”

“You keep laughing at me.”

“Because you’re funny.”

“What am I doing that’s funny?”

“I don’t know.”

“Fine then. I won’t tell you what your father said to me.”

Immediately calming down, Namjoo asked, “Did he say something about me?”

She heard Jongin move around before rising. The lights flashed on surprising her. She sat up blinking to adjust her eyes to the sudden light and saw Jongin hurry back to the bed. Bursting with a round of laughter when she saw the tiny shirt riding up his belly.

“It’s not funny,” he murmured pulling the blanket over him. Namjoo tugged the blanket back to cover her revealing his half- torso and laughed uncontrollably again.

Yanking the blanket over his belly he playfully slapped her hand. “Lets play a game.”

“Why?”

“Since we’re unable to sleep.”

“Fine.”

“Lets bet banana chips.”

“Banana chips?” She repeated.

“The baby likes banana chips.”

“Alright then,” Namjoo agreed. Since she was in a good mood it didn’t matter what was on the line. “What are we playing?”

“Rock-paper-scissors?”

“Serious?”

“Serious.” He nodded and readied his fist.

“Ok, I’m ready,” Namjoo prepared her fist as well.

“Scissors!” Jongin shouted on the third chant.

“You cheated!” Namjoo accused. “You threw it out too slow!”

“I didn’t!”

“You did!” she argued and couldn’t help but laugh when she finally noticed the tiny sleeves balling up and over his arms.

Jongin stared at her flabbergasted. “What?” he asked unable to understand why she was laughing at him again. Noticing, he stole the blanket from her and wrapped it around him muttering, “Seriously.”

Clinging onto his hand still giggling, Namjoo said through laughter, “Lets do it again.”

֎֎֎֎֎

When Jongin woke up the room was covered in peaceful silence. His neck hurt since he’d fallen asleep on his belly. Shifting onto his side he breathed a sigh. Letting his eyes adjust to the dark he was able to make out the shape of Namjoo’s body next to him. Sleeping calmly with her hand buried between their pillows. For several minutes he focused on her still hearing her chirpy laughter ricocheting around in his head.

She hardly laughed that much when he met her again. He would take it as a good sign that they were taking off on a good note. Settling into his position he closed his eyes. When he opened them again in the morning Namjoo was already gone.

Unable to bear walking out in the tiny clothes he had borrowed, Jongin changed before leaving the bedroom. There was noise coming from the kitchen where he supposed Namjoo and her parents were. Deciding he wanted some fresh air before they called him for breakfast he stepped outside to stretch.

The sun was already up bright and early. Casting the day into heat. His car was still across the street. Jongin imagined the lonesome ride home and immediately dreaded the thought of work.

He nearly jumped when the door slammed shut behind him. Turning around he spotted Namjoo’s father glancing at him as he headed toward the hose. He was carrying a large bowl of fresh green onions.

“I’ll help.” Jongin offered following.

Namjoo’s father the hose filling the bowl with water. Once it was filled to the brim he turned the hose off and started washing the green onions carefully from root to stem.

“I’ll marry her,” Jongin began, “but not now. When Namjoo trusts me enough to depend on me and when I’m confident we can be happy without regrets, I’ll ask for her hand then.”

“If you don’t love her, don’t do it.”

“There’s still time for that.”

He grunted from within his throat. “If you don’t learn to don’t come back here. I’ll bring out my knife again.”

“Yes, sir.” Jongin nodded.

Halfway through the washing Namjoo’s mother called them in for breakfast. Scolding her husband to drag his feet in because it was getting late and Jongin needed to leave soon. They had a nice breakfast before her mother ushered him out of the house with some packed food and a homemade sauce to use whenever he wanted to grill meat. Namjoo’s father grunted his farewell before disappearing into the bedroom to change so he could run to check on his restaurant.

“I hope you had enough of the parents you said you like,” Namjoo said as she crossed the street with him.

“For now,” Jongin said. “Your dad said I could come back in the future.”

“Future,” Namjoo repeated with a mumble.

Jongin unlocked his car when they reached to place the food he’d received inside. As he turned he started pulling his house key off the key ring.

“Here,” he handed it to her.

“What are you doing?”

Dropping it into her hand he said, “It’s to the apartment. Sorry, I didn’t have time to make a copy.”

“But you won’t be able to get home,” Namjoo worried.

“I’ll just ask the landlord for another,” Jongin explained. He watched her stare down at the key. Continuing, “Hold on to it.”

“Why are you doing this?”

“I’ll wait for you,” Jongin stated. “Stay here until you’re ready to come back. Until you feel better.” He smiled to reassure her, “I heard you laughing for the first time last night and it was really nice to hear, so take your time. I hope you come back with a smile.”

He turned away to open the driver’s side door and glanced at her once more before sliding into his seat. As he drove off he watched her image become smaller through the side mirror.

֎֎֎֎֎

“Did he leave?” her mother asked when she walked back into the house. She was wiping the counter having just washed the dishes.

“He’s gone.” Namjoo answered. Refusing to acknowledge that she was feeling barren that Jongin wasn’t around for her to laugh at.

“I didn’t want to say this with him around, but he’s better looking than Seojun.”

“Mom.” Namjoo tried not to roll her eyes.

“And he seems like a very nice man,” her mother added. “I like him. He knows how to work the kitchen.”

“He would have liked to hear that.”

“You shouldn’t praise a man so openly,” her mother chided. “It builds up their ego and it’s unhealthy.”

“Sure,” Namjoo scoffed.

“But,” her mother walked toward her and touched her shoulder, “he seems very reliable. This one seems like a better choice.”

“You immediately approved of Seojun.” Namjoo reminded.

“It doesn’t matter which one you like better.” Her mother stepped to the side. “But he is the father of your child.”

“I know that.”

“Do what you want,” her mother affectionately patted the side of her head. “Just be happy.”

Her parents first departed for their restaurant. After showering again Namjoo pulled on some fresh clothes and followed, spending an entire day enveloped in the steam of cooking food and the heat of customers. Staying occupied, keeping her mind off on-hand matters. Sweating and laughing because she felt satisfied with the day’s performance. Feeling as if this was the right kind of life for her to have. Beside her parents. Away from the suffocating city. Where a mode of quiet did not suddenly transition into dramatic.

When she turned in for the night she glanced at the futon thinking about yesterday when Jongin had walked in in the clothes too small for his long body. Namjoo nearly laughed again as she closed the door.

Lying down she stared up at the ceiling wondering how Jongin’s day had been. If he’d returned Mina’s call, if they’d met up. Flipping onto her side she stared at his vacated spot. Recalling how much he’d made her laugh yesterday. Noticing now that she had hardly laughed when she had been in the city. Strained with so much stress that even times in Jongin’s apartment hadn’t been very peaceful for them.

Placing her hand on his empty spot Namjoo stared at the pillow he had lain on. She had been nervous about sharing a bed. In the end, it turned out to be nothing. Not difficult or uncomfortable. Even through sleep she had known he was there, but it hadn’t bothered her. Because she had believed he wouldn’t violate her space just like he’d kept his word to help her when she needed it.  

Jongin was overly kind. Being upset for her when Seojun was rough with her yet still giving up a part of his home to make room for her needs. Was he sleeping in his bed again now that she wasn’t there? Or was he still sleeping on the couch?

She would be nicer to him when she returned.

֎֎֎֎֎

“Why are you coming from that way when you should be opening the door for me?” Mina eyed him with arms crossed. Expression downturned demanding a quick answer.

Jongin sighed and he made sure she heard it. It had taken a good hour for the lady downstairs to get a duplicate for his lost key.

“What are you doing? Open the door,” Mina ordered when he stopped in front of her holding his keys but not reaching for the doorknob.

“I’m the home owner.”

“So?” She frowned at him ignorantly.

“So I get to decide who goes in or not,” Jongin finished and watched annoyance fly across her face.

“I called you,” she vehemently told. “Four times! I left a voicemail and a message!”

Jongin pulled out his phone. Allowing himself to look stupefied, “Oh. I guess you did.”

“You guess?!” She repeated not having his attitude. Placing a hand on her hip, “Where are you coming from?”

“I believe I don’t have to report to you what I do and where I go anymore.”

“You’re so crude, aren’t you?” she asked. “Does she like you this way? This bad boy image you’re putting on?”

His brow furrowed. He bit his tongue in order not to react.

“It’s a little appealing, but doesn’t suit you,” Mina observed with a small shake of her head. “You’re a gentleman. You’re a softy.”

“Go away, Mina.”

“You’re filial. You’re a devoted man. You want to become a father so bad that you went from one woman to the other so fast just to fulfill one goal,” Mina said. “Does she know about this?”

He whipped toward her so fast he felt like punching himself when he saw that brazen smile climb onto her face.

“If I told her you slept with me several times without protection in hopes of getting me pregnant, what would she feel?” Mina coyly tilted her head in thought. “Then your only other option would be me.”

Biting down on his teeth he said, “You were never a tool, Mina.”

“But is she to you?”

“She is not.” He growled.

“Ok.” Mina smiled suspiciously and stepped aside. “Well, then, have a lovely day, Jongin.”

“If you get within one foot of her, Mina, I swear I will cut off any ties we still have,” Jongin warned.

“Try it, Jongin,” Mina urged. “I also don’t like it when someone tries taking my man from me.”

“We’re already over, Mina,” Jongin said for the nth time.

“I think we will still see each other a lot from now on,” Mina coyly smiled. “Oh, I heard Namjoo took sick leave from work. Please let her know she is greatly missed and I’m looking forward to her return.”

Swiping imaginary dust off his shoulder she sweetly grinned.

“You smell really different these days, Jongin. It makes me a little sad,” Mina commented. Settling her hand on his broad shoulder she daintily stared into his eyes, “Don’t change too much, love.”

Jongin watched her saunter off disturbed, worried, and anxious. He hadn’t once thought that breaking up with Mina would cause this much strain between them. If she would not move on how much pressure would Namjoo be under when she returned?

Forced to set aside his matters, Jongin changed and rushed off to work. Returning to a quiet, empty home in the evening. Cooking a lonesome meal and sitting alone. His eyes lay on the apple juice and sliced up lemons that were starting to rot reminding him he need to restock. After showering he went to lay on the bed leaving Namjoo’s side abandoned. He could still hear her laughing in his head, feel her sleeping beside him breathing calmly.

What had she done all day? Had her parents talked to Seojun’s side yet? He wondered how that went, if they had solved anything. Would Namjoo return with her problems solved to face his issues instead?

֎֎֎֎֎

One day turned into three and then four. Each time hoping that when he walked through the door he’d smell food cooking for him. Or perhaps Namjoo would jump out from where she was hiding to surprise him. His home remained empty.

Thrusday, Jongin woke up with his face buried against the pillow Namjoo had used. Turning his alarm off with a groan he sat up with his hair in disarray. Rubbing the back of his head he slid off the bed and started out of the bedroom. Halting abruptly when he kicked something on the ground. Glancing down he saw a duffel bag sitting against the wall.

A duffel bag…

His eyes shot toward the door where he immediately spotted another pair of shoes sitting next to his. A side step and he peeked over the couch to find Namjoo curled up sleeping.


***First half of the story! They're finally living together! And they've decided to have the baby together!